Finding the Cell Reference for the minimum value of a data list.

I am trying to figure out how to automatically refernce a
location of a cell (ex. C5)which has been calculated to be
the minimum value of a set of data.

If I can reference the row of this cell absolutely, then I
want to use that value as the beginning data reference
point for both the X and Y data values of an XY scatter
plot.
0
myackel (2)

You can reference it using the MATCH function with INDEX or OFFSET:

I.e., the starting cell might be referenced as:

   INDEX(C:C, MATCH(MIN(C:C),C:C, 0))

while the range to plot could be referenced as:

   OFFSET(C1,MATCH(MIN(C:C),C:C, 0)-1,0,numrows,numcols)

In article <10b201c38c48$3754bca0$a001280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Matt Yackel" <myackel@itwbgk.com> wrote:

> I am trying to figure out how to automatically refernce a
> location of a cell (ex. C5)which has been calculated to be
> the minimum value of a set of data.
>
> If I can reference the row of this cell absolutely, then I
> want to use that value as the beginning data reference
> point for both the X and Y data values of an XY scatter
> plot.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

A code to import other xls data into one xls file
Hi there. Can anyone help me in creating a VB code in excel Module that imports data like file name;direct cost; and year from several xls spreadsheets [reports_1, reports_2, ...] (from different sheets and cells) into one spreadsheet [summary] into the following columns accordingly: (column 1 [file name]: file name; column 2 [direct cost]: dollar amounts, column 3 [year]: year)? i already have the code that pulls file names from the folder directory and pastes the data into column 1 [file name]. may be it will be easier to have the code refer to that column 1. Please note that t...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Issue retriving data from mssql 2005
Different queries accessing a storedprocedure sometimes hang until they are timedout. Calling the stored procedure mannually (Management Studio)(from the client computer that also executes the program) returns 1090 rows in one sec. EXEC spa08v1GetTransactions NULL ,'20091006','20091006' Executing the stored procedure from a simple app, just counting the rows gives me a timeout at 956 rows. This runs nicely against my test enviroment. SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(); cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection("Server=MyServer;Database=MyDatabase...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

vlookup on cell below
Is it possible to do a VLOOKUP but instead of returning the value in row that contains the lookup, it returns the value in the row below? eg a b 1 no x 2 yes y 3 ok z =VLOOKUP("yes",A1:B3,2,FALSE) would return "z" instead of "y". Th only way I can think of is to add a row header at the top and use the MATCH function in column A to find the row position of "yes", then use that in an HLOOKUP in column B. I was hoping there was a simpler way. Not VLOOKUP, but INDEX & MATCH =INDEX(B1:B3,MATCH("yes",A1:A3,0)) -...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

delete drop-down box in cell
I have a problem removing a drop-down list box in a cell and have trie using clear contents, delete cell, the delete button on the keyboard Can someone please tell me how to remove this box from the cell. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi might be one created by data / validation ... click on the cell choose data / validation choose Clear All regards JulieD "brain77 >" <<brain77.1apguz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:brain77.1apguz@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a problem removing a drop-down list box in a cell and have tr...

How can I combine data from a list?
For example: suppose I had a very simple list, with two columns: "Name" and "Number". The category "name" has three items: Dog, Cat, and Dog. Each of those three items has a corresponding "number" value: 3, 4, and 5. I'm trying to find a function that would recognize the fact that I have "Dog" listed twice, and would sum the 3 & 5 values listed next to each "Dog", leaving me with a two-item list: Dog, 8 & Cat, 4. Is there a way to do this? A Pivot Table will do that nicely for you: Set the Name as a ROW and the ...

VBA to insert .xlborder if cell value not equal to previous cell
I've got a worksheet and I'm wondering whether it is possible to insert a line when a value in Column A, B, C & D does not equal the values in the row above or below it. I've currently got a formula in Column A that reads.... =IF(AND(B3=B2,C3=C2,D3=D2,E3=E2),"","IL") and a conditional format that if the cell value is equal to "IL" then put a border. Wondering if there is a better way to do this via VBA or is that the better way? In your conditional formatting formula, instead of =A1="IL" (which I assume is what you've...

Find (but not find)

Return "cell reference"
Hi. How to do the following: 1) Return the cell reference of the cell eg: Type this formula in cell A1: =return_cell_reference_of_that_cell() {The above is a fictitious formula only} The answer will be A1. Preferably, it is great for me to decide on how the reference is displayed, eg: - absolute (ie $A$1) or - column-absolute (ie $A1) or - row-absolute (ie A$1) - relative (ie A1) 2) Return cell reference(s) of the target eg: Type this formula in cell B1: =return_cell_reference(target_cell) {The above is a fictitious formula only} eg: =return_cell_reference(A3) Answer: A3 =return_cell_refe...

is there a comand to return the mane of a worksheet inside a cell
Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi Fabian Try this, =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"))+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename"))-FIND("[",CELL("filename"))-1) This one will give you the full path: =CELL("filename") HTH John "Fabian" <Fabian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140C847D-2C3A-49F6-9C60-9515B426AD5E@microsoft.com... > Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi, =MID(CELL("filename...

Finding an event

List Validation
I was wondering if there was anyway you can have a drop down list in one workbook that comes from a different workbook. Example: I have a workbook saved with a list of names and I want to have that list of names come up in a form that I have saved in another workbook. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html note that the other workbook needs to be open -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "Renee" <...

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Hiding Cells
How do you hide cells without having to hide the entire column or rows? Hi McNiwram! You can hide the contents by formatting the font the same color as the background. You can hide formulas in the formula bar by using: Format > Cells > Protection Place check against "Hidden" OK Note that this doesn't come into effect until the worksheet is protected using the Tools menu. -- -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "McNiwram&...

Limits in 'All Address Lists'?
Hi all! I try to rebuild a large number (~2000) of Ex5.5 recipient-containers in the E2k3 'all address lists' container. The LDAP filter for each address list is set on to the EX5.5 attribute 'obj-view-containers' (transferred to 'extension-Attribute-14' by ADC). I recognized that the AD-user attribute 'ShowInAddressBook' is a multi-valued field, with a limitation of around 800 entries (RUS won't work with more entries). This doesn't matter, because a recipient belongs only to 1 address list in most cases. Meanwhile I created about 1200 address lists...

cannot find database

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

How to make "This workbook contains links to other data sources" appear?
Hello How to make "Microsoft Excel This workbook contains links to other data sources To update all linked information, click Yes. To keep the existing information, click No." pop up or appear on the Task bar after clicking "Open Link" in "Linked Worksheet Object" in a context menu of a linked object in Word 2003 sp2? The window appear only after clicking an Excel button in the Task bar. ...

Outlook Mail: creating a quick mail list?
In my previous version of Outlook, I somehow created a new button for my "Mail" section that contained the 4 or 5 most frequently used e-mail addresses. When I wanted to e-mail one of these people, all I had to do was click on the drop-down menu and then click on the specific person, which then created a new untitled message form addressed to that person. Unfortunately, I lost this when I upgraded to 2003! Does anyone know how I can create the same again? Jay It is discussed in my guide which you can find here; http://www.sparnaaij.net/howto/customizetoolbar.htm -- Roady ...