Excel 2003 Charts #2

Possible bug in Excel 2003.  Trying to chart Funds spent to date for each
account.  We have 3 colums (spent to date, Total available to spend and % of
Total Spent).  Instead of charting % of total spent, it appears Excel is
adding the Spent to date and Total Value columns and charting that in the
Stacked bar chart.  Anyone have input for usign the stacked bar charts?

Thanks much.

0
Twb (2)

no attachment). I've been using Excel 2003 since, well, 2003, and I've never
noticed such an issue.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"TWB" <TWB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Possible bug in Excel 2003.  Trying to chart Funds spent to date for each
> account.  We have 3 colums (spent to date, Total available to spend and %
> of
> Total Spent).  Instead of charting % of total spent, it appears Excel is
> adding the Spent to date and Total Value columns and charting that in the
> Stacked bar chart.  Anyone have input for usign the stacked bar charts?
>
> Thanks much.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/13/2008 4:57:04 PM
Here is the data:

Acct	Spent to date      Total Value	% of Total Spent
1001	$160,079 	         $250,000 	64.03%
1002	$40,967 	         $50,000 	81.93%
1003	$50,240 	         $100,000 	50.24%
1004	$0 	         $50,000 	0.00%
1005	$8,559 	         $30,000 	28.53%
1006	$2,727   	         $30,000 	9.09%
1007	$10,503 	         $30,000 	35.01%
1008	$7,194  	         $30,000 	23.98%
1009	$310,205 	         $430,000 	72.14%
	$590,474 	         $1,000,000 	59.05%

It appears that Excel is charting the Spent to Date + Total Value = "Value"
then Spent to Date / "Value".  For example for Acct 1002 instead of the
Stacked bars showing that 81% is spent the chart is showing 45% which is
40967 + 50000 = 90967 Then 40967 / 90967= 45%.  I hope this is making sense.

Thanks.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> no attachment). I've been using Excel 2003 since, well, 2003, and I've never
> noticed such an issue.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "TWB" <TWB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Possible bug in Excel 2003.  Trying to chart Funds spent to date for each
> > account.  We have 3 colums (spent to date, Total available to spend and %
> > of
> > Total Spent).  Instead of charting % of total spent, it appears Excel is
> > adding the Spent to date and Total Value columns and charting that in the
> > Stacked bar chart.  Anyone have input for usign the stacked bar charts?
> >
> > Thanks much.

0
Twb (2)
8/13/2008 5:51:05 PM
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
TWB <TWB@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>It appears that Excel is charting the Spent to Date + Total Value = "Value"
>then Spent to Date / "Value".  For example for Acct 1002 instead of the
>Stacked bars showing that 81% is spent the chart is showing 45% which is
>40967 + 50000 = 90967 Then 40967 / 90967= 45%.  I hope this is making sense.

If you are using the 100% Stacked Bar Chart and you would like the Spent
to date to appear as a percentage of the total available, you must make
the second value be Total *Not* Spent to date, so that the two values
together make up the total available.

So your charted values must be:

      Spent    Unspent
1001  160,079   89,921
1002   40,967    9,033
1003   50,240   49,760
1004        0   50,000
1005    8,559   21,441
1006    2,727   27,273
1007   10,503   19,497
1008    7,194   22,806
1009  310,205  119,795

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Acrobat Reader #2
When opening acrobat reader, it asks for the microsoft publisher 2003 cd. When you insert the cd the file it is looking for cannot be found. I think the file name is sku019.cab or something very similar. This is getting to be very annoying. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. The exact error would be preferable to an almost. Reinstall the Reader. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Charles" <chubbard@mh2.com> wrote in message news:1a03a01c44d94$34e46b60$a001280a@phx.gbl... > When opening acrobat read...

Printing an Excel doucument

Can�t open some mail in Exchange 2003
Hi! I�m using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2000 and 2003 I have some mail that I can�t open, I get the error "Can�t open this item, The operation failed." I can view, delete or take backup on the mails. I have tried to resote an old backup, the I get two mails with the exact same name, I can open the restored mail, but still not the orginal. How can I delete the bad mails? Is their a tool to check all the mailboxes for errors in Exchange 2003. Best regards Joakim Sweden ISINTEG will help you. Make sure that you have usable backup before you start. Jocke wrote: > Hi! > &g...

how do i form 2 lines in 1 row?
I'm guessing you're looking to force text in a cell to wrap into the next line of the same cell. If that's true...... Edit the text and move the insertion point to where you want to wrap the text. Hold down the [Alt] key and press [Enter] Does that help? ---------------------------------- Regards, Ron Microsoft MVP (Excel) "MSEXCELROOKIE" <MSEXCELROOKIE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:951AA059-1613-4A62-AAA6-7890AF6F84A6@microsoft.com... > In one cell type this is line one then Alt + ENTER then type this is line two. The Alt ...

Windows Update

excel axes

unable to open outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi , i'm unable to open my Outlook 2003 , it gives error = message as "cannot start microsoft office outlook 2003,unable to open = the outlook window. the set of folders could not be opened . the server = is not available " plz help me to fix this issue With Regards, Ramesh.C ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"...

Excel program

Do I need Windows 2003 Enterprise for Exchange 2003 Enterprise?
Hi I am upgrading our server to Windows 2003 either Standard or Enterprise. I know that I want Exchange 2003 Enterprise because we have the Standard version at the moment and are about to hit the 16GB limit. Do I need Windows 2003 Enterprise for Exchange 2003 Enterprise? What will Windows 2003 Enterprise give me that Standard does not? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. No you don't. You would only need Windows 2003 Enterprise if you are planning on doing clustering. I'm sure there are some other things it will get you, but clustering capability is one of the big additions. -...

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Creating a Chart from Cells that use a List Box
Hi, I am trying to create a number of charts (e.g., pie, line etc) based on data that is slelected from a list box (i.e., data validation). What i would like to do is create the charts before any data is entered (if that makes sense) and as data is entered the charts will display this. ...

Offline Defrag of Exchange 2003 not representing database size cor
I have Exchange 2003 Sp2 installed. I need to do an offline defrag due to database size. My database should be 15Gb smaller than the actual database size. When I run eseutil the defrag completes successfully but doesnt change the file size. The online defrag run correctly but only free up 10-15Mb. Any suggestions? What makes you think it should be 15GB smaller than it is? Nue "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8047F0C-D1DE-49B4-96AD-4F8B572CF381@microsoft.com... >I have Exchange 2003 Sp2 installed. I need to do an offline defrag due to >...

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

Outlook 2003 #28
Will Outlook 2003 allow install on one owner, two machines (desktop and Laptop), or do you have to purchase 2 copies? Dick ...

version excel

How can I set up a student data base using word 2003?
I am a music teacher and would like to set up a data base for my students including information regarding - exams, competitions and results. Names, ages, birthday reminders, parents details and goods and services delivered. I use Microsoft Office 2003. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks. Decide what you want to keep track of and put each piece of information into separate cells. And one row per entry--don't put the data for one person on multiple rows. Try to keep your data on a single worksheet. If you thought that you'd want multiple worksheets (one for each class),...

double line spacing using excel 2000