Equation of smoothed line between points

HI,
I know I can add a trend line and get the equation for it.  But the data I
have does not really fit the trendline types offered.
When I just add a line between the points and it is in SMOOTHED mode, is
there any way to get that equations.  Or at least to find values on that line
between existing data points.   And I realize I could linearly interpolate
between those point, but I would rather have the smoothed line.
THanks for the help.

--
Mark Mesarch
School of Natural Resources

You realize that the smoothing is not rigorously defined to track the data?
That the smoothed line can extend where the data may never go? It's only
there to beautify the chart.

But if you understand all that and want the smoothed line anyway, you could
read what Brian Murphy has learned about the smoothing, which basically is a
series of bezier curves fitted to the points. His remarks are found about
3/4 of the way down this page:

http://www.xlrotor.com/resources/files.shtml

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"MMesarch" <mmesarch1@unl.edu> wrote in message
> HI,
> I know I can add a trend line and get the equation for it.  But the data I
> have does not really fit the trendline types offered.
> When I just add a line between the points and it is in SMOOTHED mode, is
> there any way to get that equations.  Or at least to find values on that
> line
> between existing data points.   And I realize I could linearly interpolate
> between those point, but I would rather have the smoothed line.
> THanks for the help.
>
> --
> Mark Mesarch
> School of Natural Resources
> University of Nebraska-Lincoln

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Updating the value of Sales Header automatically in Sales Line
I am using Microsoft Navision ERP. I have created one field in Sales Line Header Table and One Field in Sales Line Table. I want whenever a value is entered in above Sales Header Field the same should automatically gets updated in Sales Line Field of that particular Sales Order. Can any body guide me how to achieve above functionality? ...

Print grid lines
I've check print grid lines in the print options but they do not display in print preview. Any ideas? First I would check that I have the latest drivers for my printer -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Portland, Oregon "Steven Ciavarella" <Steven Ciavarella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79AF5E1E-037C-4E71-9007-2C3EBFA26B83@microsoft.com... > I've check print grid lines in the print options but they do not display > in > print preview. > Any ideas? ...

equation editor
I just installed Office mac 2004 student teacher edition on my brand new MacBook. I can't seem to use equation editor. Since I am a math teacher, that sucks - to say the least! Error message says somethng like - make sure it has been installed, or maybe it has been renamed etc. All I did was install. Short of using my 2nd product key to fix the problem what can I check. Find brings up no info on equation editor. I don't think Eq Ed is automatically installed with a standard installation of Office 2004 - it needs to be included in a custom install or added later. You can install it no...

Line Feed in a cell
Is it possible to get a Line Feed when I'm entering a long phrase in a cell, so that it wraps where I want it to, even if I change the cell width? Thanks Folks, Rob Lepper. Hi Rob Alt+Enter will insert one as you type. Richard OM wrote: > Is it possible to get a Line Feed when I'm entering a long phrase in a cell, > so that it wraps where I want it to, even if I change the cell width? > > Thanks Folks, > > Rob Lepper. Press Alt + ENTER to break for a new line -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "OM" <OM@you...

Area chart with smoothed line
I want an stacked area chart, but the lines go from point to point. I really want the area chart with a SMOOTHED line instead, as the data gradually rises and falls between readings. Is there a way to do this? I have Excel 2003. I've taken on the challenge. It's related to the VBA shape-drawing procedures on this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/VBAdraw.html but the smoothing of the segments of the drawn polygon have taken me a while to decipher, and the article will also take a while. Look for a new web page or article "soon". It will be listed here: ...

2 variables in 2 quadratic equations in excel
Dear ms excel user/programmers: I hope this question is not repeated before. But anyway highly appreciate anyone can tell me how (or hint) to use ms excell and/or visual c/c++, basic, or octave(emulate matlab) to solve: (12-x)^2 + y^2 =15^2, (16+y)^2+x^2=25^2 (by programming or using its built in function)? that ^2 mean square. looking to any excel user, mathmatician, and/or programmer's help, eric, fsshl@yahoo.com Hi Eric The brute force way (requiring the least mathematical analysis) is to calculate the left hand side as functions of two reasonable first guess x and y inputs...

Integrating Comment Lines
Currently I am populating SOP Transaction Entry comment lines 1, 2 and 3 by padding the strings to 50 characters because using string1 & vbcrlf & string2 etc. did not work. How can I insert the strings into each line without padding? Is there some other way to create a hard return between each string to accomplish? What my previous post failed to state was that I was attempting to integrate using the SQL optimized adaptor, and not the standard adapter. Chr(13) works fine to insert a hard return using the standard adapter. Anyone know why the Chr(13) doesn't work for the S...

How do I find a value on a line?
I made a line graph of data to use as a calibration. I know the y value and I want to find the X value. Is there a way that I find find this specifically on the line without using a trendline formula or guessing by looking at the gridlines? The only way to find a specific value is to use the formula. Rgs, Bou If you can accept piece-wise linear interpolation, see Interactive Chart http://www.tushar- mehta.com/excel/software/interactive_chart_display/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity s...

How to smooth scroll( pixel scroll ) a ListViewCtrl in report styl
hi all, I want to smooth scroll content of a listctrl. at first i SendMessage LVM_SCROLL. but listctrl scrolled vertically in whole line increments. then i use ScrollDC to scroll down, listctrl scroll smoothly well. but after scroll the newly invalidated region is filled by part of the first item which is visible before scroll. my question is: how to update listctrl to let it draw part of the previous item and DO NOT affect already scrolled region ? thanks for any suggestion. -- For The Horde ...

auto expand line chart
I would like to place a line graph into a spread sheet which needs to continue to grow as we move through years 2007 & 2008 but dont want the graph to show a zero value for future dates and only add them as the months move forward.. example: Year Value 2007/1 1234 2007/2 3455 2007/3 2222 etc 2008/1 0 2008/2 0 2008/3 0 etc hope this makes sense and you understand what I mean. Please help. Regards Mark Hi, You can use the dynamic charting approach, see Jon's pages on the subject. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html Cheers Andy -- ...

Trendline equation not giving correct results
I was trying to form a trendline with following data : Y X 1.128 -20 1.128 -15 1.128 -10 1.128 -6 1.111 -5 1.084 0 1.056 5 1.0276 10 1 15 0.971 20 0.944 25 0.9144 30 0.884 35 0.8524 40 0.82 45 0.788 50 After plotting the chart, I added trendline (Polynominal with order 6) alongwith its equation which read as below : y = 6E-07x6 - 3E-05x5 + 0.0006x4 - 0.0057x3 + 0.0215x2 - 0.0318x + 1.1429 and R2 = 0.9998 The trendline in the chart neatly fitted over the curve. However, when I used above equation and fed in same values of X as shown above the computed results are entirley different fro...

How X-ax reflect correc time interval when don't have all points
I need to reflect correct time intervals in my chart i.e. 15,30,60,120 minutes. I have different treatment groups and measure a specific value at each time point but I don't measure at all time points i.e. I measure 0,15,30,45,60,90,120,180 ect. The time has to be on X-Axis but at the moment, all time points I have are treated the same and don't reflect correct interval i.e. the distance between 15-30 on X-Axis is the same as the distance between 60-120 min. I use excel 2003 version. Narges It sounds like you are using a Line chart, not an XY (Scatter) chart. To get your X a...

Specifying a point on each series in an X-Y scatter graph.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have an X-Y scatter graph with multiple series showing wavelength on the X-axis and absorbance on the Y-axis. What I want to do is specify a value on the x-axis and find its corresponding value on the y-axis. In other words, I want to plot a point on each of the data series and find out what the absorbance is for that wavelength value. This point is not included in each of the data series. And I don't want to plot all of the data points. For example, if the wavelength is 500, I want a point on all the seri...

Stop capitilizing first word of second line
Why do I have to turn off the auto-correct option to stop capilizing the first word of the second line in Outlook (part of Office 2003 Standard)? -- Vic Goff ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?m...

Does Point of Sale 2.0 integrate with PC Charge
We just bought a business that has Microsoft Point of Sale 2.0 already installed. The previous owners were using Vital and it was working just fine. We have been approached by a CC processing company that claims to be able to save us about .5% on our fees but they have to use PC Charge. Will PC Charge work with MS Point of Sale 2.0 (not RMS)? POS 2.0 does not integrate to third party payment processing applications like PC Charge. There is built-in support for Vital/TSYS and FDC. "CapnJim" <jebooth.NOT@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a5udncSe6eLGvunVnZ2dnUVZ_obinZ2d...

Clearing dotted lines from Set Print Area
Clear Print Area doesn't seem to clear the dashed vertical and horizontal lines that result from setting a print area. Am I missing something? I know if I close and reopen the spreadsheet, these lines will no longer be visible, but isn't there a way to clear them? My thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions! Brad Tools|Options|View tab|uncheck Page Breaks. Brad wrote: > > Clear Print Area doesn't seem to clear the dashed vertical and horizontal > lines that result from setting a print area. Am I missing something? I > know if I close and reopen the sp...

Removing Plot lines between plot points on a line chart
A 2003 file being opened in 2007. Contains a line graph. I wish to remove a plot line between two points. The lines right now or dotted, when I go through the process of entering into the chart options and click on "No plot line" nothing happens and the dotted lines remain. ANy suggestions? Or is this a converting issue going from 2003 to 2007? Hi, Should work. If you just want to hide the line between to points but leave the others visible: 1. Click the series 2. Click the data point on the right end of the line you want to remove 3. Choose Chart Tools, Format, Format Selec...

Linear trendline:wrong equation
Hi, I created a bar chart in Excel from the following data: X Y 73 6.6 78 5.7 86 4.8 The SLOPE and the INTERCEPT functions returned -0.136 and 16.4448 respectively. The resulting equation is Y = -0.136X + 16.448 which seems good enough to me. Then I added a linear trendline to the chart. Excel displayed the following equation: Y = -0.9X + 7.5, R ^2 =1 which is way off (and it's not a rounding problem)!!! The data seemed farly linear to me, how come Excel can't come up with the right equation??? Thanks Jan M. Use an "XY (Scatter)" chart. When you...

MS Word equation editor won't open when double-clicking on an equation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a document (.docx) using the Office 2008 version of MS Word some time ago (2 months or so). Recently I wanted to correct an equation in that document and re-opened the document (on the same system and with the &quot;same&quot; copy of Word) and attempted to double-click the equation to edit it. Instead of the equation editor I get the &quot;Format Picture&quot; dialog box. In the interim I did install an update (I tend to try to stay up to date) and am at 12.2.4 (100205). <br><...

smooth curve math
Does any one know what kind of mathematical curve is used in connecting scatter points with smooth curve by Excel ? Thanks, John http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3FE986B1.8000803%40no_e-mail.com Jerry John Lewis wrote: > Does any one know what kind of mathematical curve is used > in connecting scatter points with smooth curve by Excel ? ...

Excel equations
I posted this before, but for some reason, it never showed up. I want to be able to take a list of months in a spreadsheet and add these months to an equation without having to type it out every time. Let me explain: I have a column of text ranging from January to Dec. I also have worksheets titled from Jan to Dec. I need to reference various cells in each of the spreadsheets in a summary spreadsheet, but each reference cell is the same for each month, i.e. always January!$A$1, February!$A$!, etc. Is there a way I can write an equation that will allow be to copy the months in the summar...

Re: ira contributions not showing in tax line
I set up a Roth ira account in money, the retirement box is checked, bu my contributions don't show up in the tax line manager... any advice - hobbe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message679579.htm ...

multiple lines tool tip
Hello group, Can someone please tell me how can I display multiple lines in a tool tip? When I try to display the string "Line one\r\nLine two", the \r and \n are not interpreted as escape characters and are replaced with two squares. Thank you, Geo Take a look at the CToolTipCtrl::SetMaxTipWidth() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- "Geo" <ckarakiro@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:055d01c3721f$0ef0a370$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hello group, > > Can someone please tell me how can I display mult...

Lines not visible in an Excel line chart
I'm creating a line chart in Excel 2004 for Mac. The lines themselves will not show on the chart. Have worked with the data series and other chart settings already with no results. Anyone know of this problem or a fix? Do you have blank rows or columns in between data in the worksheet? If so, Excel is following its default behavior for blanks by leaving gaps in the chart. Select the chart, choose Options from the Tools menu, and on the Chart tab, under Treat Blank Cells As, choose Interpolate. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and...

Set minimum values for equation results
Hi all, I've been searching the queries here and can't find an answer to what I'm hoping is a simple query . . . I want my equation to ensure that any minus values are returned as 0 but positive values should remain true. THis needs to be within the original equation as opposed to a separate equation doing a find and replace. Appreciate any answers (preferably by e-mail!). Jim. Try using IF(), for example: Put in C1: =IF((A1-B1)<0,0,A1-B1) which will return 0 if (A1-B1) results in a minus value with zero & positive values remaining true Hope the above helps. M...