Editing a Chart Directly??

I seem to remember in an Excel version of the past that there was a way for
me to edit a chart directly, not using the Chart Wizard or Options screen...
I could highlight poritons of the chart and make changes, etc.  But I can't
seem to make that happen now.  I have created a basic chart in Excel 2002
based on some financial data... I simply want to place a legend or have a
note area to the right of it and have it say whatever I want to.  Right now,
the chart behaves kind of like a picture embedded in that i can't change
individual aspects of it without that stupid chart wizard thing.  I know
editing a chart directly is possible... but I can't for the life of me
remember how... nor can I find any reference to it in the online help.  If
any of you can tell me how, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
CJ

0
criley (5)

Charisma -

If you use the chart wizard, are you able to make changes? What happens if you
double click on any of the chart elements? Or right click on them?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Charisma Riley wrote:

> I seem to remember in an Excel version of the past that there was a way for
> me to edit a chart directly, not using the Chart Wizard or Options screen...
> I could highlight poritons of the chart and make changes, etc.  But I can't
> seem to make that happen now.  I have created a basic chart in Excel 2002
> based on some financial data... I simply want to place a legend or have a
> note area to the right of it and have it say whatever I want to.  Right now,
> the chart behaves kind of like a picture embedded in that i can't change
> individual aspects of it without that stupid chart wizard thing.  I know
> editing a chart directly is possible... but I can't for the life of me
> remember how... nor can I find any reference to it in the online help.  If
> any of you can tell me how, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!
> CJ

Do you by any chance have the workbook shared?  ISTR that shared
workbooks have limited chart editing capability.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <eWaLScNAFHA.2584@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, criley@scvymca.org
says...
> I seem to remember in an Excel version of the past that there was a way for
> me to edit a chart directly, not using the Chart Wizard or Options screen...
> I could highlight poritons of the chart and make changes, etc.  But I can't
> seem to make that happen now.  I have created a basic chart in Excel 2002
> based on some financial data... I simply want to place a legend or have a
> note area to the right of it and have it say whatever I want to.  Right now,
> the chart behaves kind of like a picture embedded in that i can't change
> individual aspects of it without that stupid chart wizard thing.  I know
> editing a chart directly is possible... but I can't for the life of me
> remember how... nor can I find any reference to it in the online help.  If
> any of you can tell me how, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!
> CJ

I tried this before I posted. You can't even select a chart in a shared
workbook. Sounds like Charisma can get the usual editing capabilities
but only when selecting in some ways. I've never heard of this.

- Jon
-------

Tushar Mehta wrote:
> Do you by any chance have the workbook shared?  ISTR that shared
> workbooks have limited chart editing capability.

Value Labels on Pivot Table Chart?
Hi. I have a pivot table chart. I want to have its data labels show the value of each bar, e.g., if the bar is up at 26, I'd like the number "26" to show up on the bar. I can do this once by right clicking the chart's series, selecting Format Data Series, then checking Value on the Data Labels tab. However, the next time I refresh the pivot table, the labels go away. Is there a way I can get them to stay, or at least get redisplayed everytime a refresh occurs? Thanks! Ken Select the chart, and on the Excel menubar, choose Chart>Chart Options On the Data Labels tab, ...

Chart equation
i need to find a equation of ellipse which join two points, how do i get the equation from the excell sheet? You have two points: (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) The equation of an ellipse is (x - h)2 / a2 + (y - k)2 / b2 = 1 This has four unknowns and you have only 2 data points i) (x1 - h)2 / a2 + (y1 - k)2 / b2 = 1 ii) (x2 - h)2 / a2 + (y2 - k)2 / b2 = 1 If we assume the ellipse has it centre at the origin then you have i) x12 / a2 + y12 / b2 = 1 ii) x22 / a2 + y22 / b2 = 1 Two equations & two unknowns; some simple algebra get you a and b Try setting up Solver to check you result best wishes...

Org Charts?? Please help
Can anyone please help me with org charts? I need to create one that has from president down how do I create one that fits tons of people?? thank you so much.. I could use the help with either visio or powerpoint, if visio how do I transfer to powerpoint..if anyone can give me some examples that would be awesome, ive never done done :( -- 2 Hi, you can insert Orgcharts in PPT 2003 via Insert menu -> Picture-> Orgchart or in 2007 via insert tab->Illustrations group->Hierachy... all shapes/labels will be resized in accordance to the number of shapes to keep every...

How to get charts and subtotals to stay permanent?
I am using the subtotal feature to create many charts. however, everytime i query excel and do a new subtotal, my previous chart gets erased. i would like to save my the different charts i create from the subtotal feature. i've tried to copy and paste and that does not work. and i do not want to save it as a picture because i would like to be able to modify the charts. thanks for your help! Hi You can use "Pivot Chart report" to solve your problem. if you are not clear, please do mail (attach file also) to me mohdraf@hotmail.com Thanks and regards Muhammed Rafeek m ...

editting auto recovery

Maximum charts or data series in workbook
I have a spreadsheet that I want to have 50 sheets with data and 18 different charts referring to the data on each individual sheet. The charts on each sheet refer to a total of 21 different data series from its own sheet. I have tried to make the workbook by using a template sheet and copying the sheet, and renaming it. Strangely enough, when I get to copying the 12th new sheet, I get the information message "No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook", and won't let me make any more copies of sheets. This makes sense since 12*21=252 ...the 13th sheet makes ...

BOM & Edit List

Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg
How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, or data table? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. -- thanks tweaver On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, >or data table? Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Editing
Hi! Could you please tell me how to remove a linked transaction within the budget planner. For example, I have a double entry under the debt category. ...

insert data into chart
I have a chart that refers to a certain range (for the sake of arguement, let's say "A1:C5") for its source data. I now want to insert more data. Say before row 2. So I do a row insert, then add my data. So now the range the chart SHOULD look at is A1:C6. But it doesn't. Now it looks like "A1:C1;A3:C6". Is there a way to have a chart automatically include the inserted row? The real-world problem I'm working on has LOTS of charts already made. Their source data is a direct references to cells on another sheet. I need to update all of these charts w...

Chart OUTLOOK item reports via Excel or ?
I want to create reports for OUTLOOK items (particularly tasks). I'd like to be able to see charts that display things like the amount of time spent on tasks for various clients, the type of work done, and the dates (including time of day). I'd like to be able to look at these reports daily if possible. Is there a way that I can do this? I thought that there must be a way by exporting the items into excel and then manually setting up charts but this would be time consuming to do each time. Any help is appreciated (I've spent days trying to figure this out) ...

Macro to edit details
Hi, i am currently trying to create a macro regarding editing staf details on a worksheet....... therefore i recorded a macro and named it editstafflist, i highlighte my headings...and then went to 'data > form' and then had to close th form and then stop my macro. It wouldnt allow me to stop my macr whilst the dialogue box was open. Anyways after stopping the macro drew out a button and assigned this 'editstafflist' macro to it. saved my sheet and then clicked on the button, but a error '1004' kep occuring, can anyone please help me on this as i am rather stuck ...

editing a drop down #2
that's not one of my choices. -- kateweb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kateweb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16301 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276931 what do you mean by this .. is it greyed out on the toolbar or shows "any value"? if you'ld like to tell me where you downloaded it from i can go have a look at it cheers JulieD "kateweb" <kateweb.1fictb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kateweb.1fictb@excelfor...

Data collection Form Edit
We have a form which will be used almost daily, for data collection, based on a query. During the test we found a typo in one of the field labels where a brief description is included. Is there some way to edit the form? (recreating it with all the custom lables is just too long a task). Another issue on this topic, every time the form is sent, the messge reverts to the default "Please fill out the form and retunr it to me". Can this default message be changed? Nothing in the help functions. Any advice, or deirection to a learning resource will be appreciated. Thanks is adva...

Charting over multiple Tabs
I am trying to create a chart for data that is on two different tabs within the workbook. Has anyone had any success with this or is it a limitataion of Excel? Thanks in advance! why not? Just make your chart for the first and then source data>series>add>select or type in -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Janet" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2bafa01c4680e$89524e80$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to create a chart for data that is on two > different tabs within the workbook. Has anyone had any > success wi...

Setting caret in edit control & activating it.
Hello Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an edit control ? Nicholas Take a look at the CEdit::SetSel() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Nicholas Kingsley" <nickk@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:3f9d418a$0$106$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Hello > > Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an > edit control ? > > Nicholas > > If you are asking how to create & use your own caret in an edit control then check...

Line chart to zero
Hi I am extracting data from Jan shhet into summary sheet, and from that summary sheet creating a line graph Formula in cell reads =INDIRECT("'"&(B1)&"'!c5")). This returns a "0" . The graph looks ugly dropping down to the zero when no data, so looked in previous threads and now in cell formula reads =IF(INDIRECT("'"&(B1)&"'!c5")="",(na),INDIRECT("'"&(B1)&"'!c5")) When value in the Jan sheet is >0, the summary sheet is populated correctly, and the graph shows t...

bar charts don't udate when data is changed-why?
I inherited a spreadsheet with data on sheet 1 and an Excel-generated bar chart on sheet 2. The table is NOT a pivot table. When I change data in the table, the bar chart never updates. I am relatively new to Excel. What am I missing? Hi, The updated data is probably outside the old data range. You can check that by temporarily replacing one of the entries that is being plotted correctly. If that's the problem you need to extend the plot ranges. There are other possibilities. cheers, Shane "JustSomeGuy" wrote: > I inherited a spreadsheet with data on sheet 1 a...

Where's the missing chart?
I have a wrksht, I created a chart. The chart is on its own pg. How do I return the chart to the wrksht, or, at least, make it visible? -- Boswell Hi, Right click the chart and pick Location. You can then make the chart an object within a worksheet, which you pick from the droplist. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Boswell" <boswell6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:5CCE6265-DF33-4EE2-BD23-F378D2168A84@microsoft.com... >I have a wrksht, I created a chart. The chart is on its own pg. How do I > return the chart to ...

how do I print a chart 1 to 1 scale?
I need to take an excel plot and print it 1:1 scale. I'm creating templates with the data plotted on the chart. The X axis is the larger scale, and varies by application. I can get the value for the maximum "X", and use that to set the plot, and I'm comfortable using VBA, but can't seem to find a connection between the area I'm trying to plot, and a way to scale the plot so that after printing my x-axis prints true to life. Any Ideas? ...