Dynamic Charting - User Selected Data Lines

I am looking for some ideas around creating a series of user friendly
charts where for ony one specific metric the user can select from up to
10 business units, which ones to compare on a single chart.

A chart with all 10 lines would be too busy but if a user wanted to
look at his/her BU and maybe 2 or 3 others which are close in size then
the chart would be useful.

I am imagining a box where the user can choose a few BU's and graph
just those. If the user wanted to change his/her selection they could
by unclicking/clicking on the choices and a new graph would be
generated.

Any thoughts?

--
mikluk
mikluk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29236

Adapt the ideas at
Dynamic Charts
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html

particularly, example 4.

You can also use examples 5 and 6 to make the interface more user
friendly.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <mikluk.1zbvum_1133385002.7109@excelforum-nospam.com>,
mikluk.1zbvum_1133385002.7109@excelforum-nospam.com says...

> I am looking for some ideas around creating a series of user friendly
> charts where for ony one specific metric the user can select from up to
> 10 business units, which ones to compare on a single chart.
>
> A chart with all 10 lines would be too busy but if a user wanted to
> look at his/her BU and maybe 2 or 3 others which are close in size then
> the chart would be useful.
>
> I am imagining a box where the user can choose a few BU's and graph
> just those. If the user wanted to change his/her selection they could
> by unclicking/clicking on the choices and a new graph would be
> generated.
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> --
> mikluk
> mikluk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29236
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489584

Value Limits In A chart
Is there any way possible to change the color of a data series within a chart when it exceeds a value of another data series? Thanks!! Hi see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart and http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart2 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Robby" <Robby@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:03E95BC9-B246-41E9-A941-177C2C22CB4F@microsoft.com... > Is there any way possible to change the color of a data series within a chart > when it exceeds a value of another data series? > > Tha...

Multi-Select List Box Does Not Retain Selected Items
I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select items in the list box they do not remain select when I select another control on the form. Any suggestions? Did you bind the list box to a keywords field? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "kaykay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:276dd01c4638d$bd5af590$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I created an Outlook Form in 2003. But when I select > items i...

Pivot Chart in Excel 97
Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone knows a way to provide a dynamic chart based on a pivot table with similar functionality to the pivot chart in Excel 2000 or newer? Cheers The Frog *** BUMP *** 24hrs Bump has no meaning in newsgroups. Mr.Frog.to.you@googlemail.com wrote: > *** BUMP *** 24hrs It got your attention Bob :-) Mr.Frog.to.you@googlemail.com wrote: > It got your attention Bob :-) Yes, but what was your orignal question? If you had quoted it in your "bump" you had at least a chance of an answer. But this is a newsgroup and folks don't generally kee...

Data markers in a stacked chart will not sit side by side by month #2
How can I get the monthly columns (ie: July Actual & July Budget) in a stacked chart to sit side by side with a space before the next month (August Actual & August Budget) and so on for each month. ...

service calendar in MS Dynamics 4.0
Does anyone knows how we can achieve the following requirement with MSCRM 4.0 In the service calendar in MS Dynamics 4.0 you are able to create new appointments and service activities. Appointments and Service Activities which are created will be present in the Service Calendar. To see all details of such a record[Subject(default Value)] you must open it. But by moving your mouse on the concerning appointment or service activity, a text-box-view appears with primary information. With appointments the content of the following fields is displayed: 'show time as', 'subject...

Extracting Data from Table
I am working on a table where I am trying extract certain data and placing it into another table on the same sheet. Everytime I try, I highlight the criteria and click advanced under filter and select the correct range and press okay nothing changes or shows up in the new table. Help please! Thanks, Alisa ...

Need help pulling data from cells in different workbooks
Hi, let me try and explain this the best I can: say i have a workbook with 2 pages, on the first sheet, in cells C27 C47, C67 and C87 on the Sheet2, I want to make a list. in that list contains data fro cells C27, C47, C67 and C87 from Sheet1 . on sheet2, the list wil look like: List ='Sheet1!C27 ='Sheet1!C47 ='Sheet1!C67 ='Sheet1!C87 Is there any easy way to pull that data without doing each lin individually. I know i can put in the = and pick the cell on the othe sheet, but I have 100's of cells I need to get data from. If i try an copy paste each line, it does...

Select Case in a Change Event

data validation vs combobox
hello there excel gurus.I am largely self taught in excel and can write straightforward macros and have a pretty good grasp of some of the functions.I have always used form comboboxes for my pull down lists.I notice that you seem to prefer the data validation list,pros and cons.?I like that the fom combo box is always there. -- paul remove nospam for email addy! Paul: There's bunches of companies who don't let their users run macros, for one. For another, Data Validation is, IMHO, much easier to show someone how to do. Comboboxes ALWAYS show their dropdown arrow. Comboboxes ar...

Chart tabs changing by themself
I have an Excel 2007 spreadheet (.xlsx) file with about 40 charts all in their own sheets. Every one of those sheets used to have their own descriptive tab name. Excel does not seem to like that, however, as sometimes after closing, it just deletes all of my tab names replacing them with a generic Chart3, Chart4, Chart 5 etc. This is highly frustrating of course. I once edited every one of those tab names back to their original names, wasting a lot of my time in the process, hoping it would not happen again. Alas, it sporadically happens again and again... Any ideas/solu...

Data Migration Manager apparently does not have correct Mappings for BCM 2007 Data
I have been trying unsuccessfully for quite some time to migrate BCM 2007 data to CRM 4.0 via the Data Migration Manager using the existing mapping for BCM 2007. However, once I am in there, I have to re-map all data, and even after that, I am unable to successfully import the data. Has anyone had the same issue, and if so, is there a different mapping I should be using? Thanks. what are the failure errors are you getting? are you mapping any data to a lookup field? it is usually a data related issues! -- Kamal Hitari MBSS, MCNPS, MCTS 2B.net Ltd http://kamalhitari.blogspot.com jdmic...

dynamic resource
Hi, Anybody know how to load e.g. bitmap into resource dynamicaly? The bitmap file will be downloaded by application itself , so it has to be somehow inserted into resource and displayed. thanks What do you mean by "into resoure dynamically"? Do you want to load a ..bmp file and display it? If yes, take a look at GDI+, which is by far the easiest way to achieve this. ---------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com I misspelled this, yes I'd like to load new bitmap on the fly. But resource file looks like is static. I use ATL/MFC applicatation. "Ajay Kalra" <aja...

Adding Comments From Cells To Chart Points.
Hi all I have spent a large portion of my weekend trying to find the answer to this. Without much luck! I have finally come up with my own code and was hoping someone could have a look at it. I'm looking to clean it up and make it a little more efficient. Thanks in advance, Greg. Sub AddCommentsToChartPoints() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim ct As ChartObject Dim serSeries As SeriesCollection Dim ser As Series Dim Counter As Integer Dim ChartName As String Dim xVals As String Dim xAddress As String 'Loop through each worksheet in workbook For Each ws In Worksheets 'Lo...

Dynamic sum in Chart
Hello: So I've got this pivot chart that I've created, and it's great, EXCEPT when I select different categories to show up, I want to show a SUM of the categories, not the values of each category. I would appreciate any help/advice you may have. Thank you! Michelle In the pivot table you can select different thing like count and SUM etc. If you right click in the upper left vacant square and chose field settings, then select what you want to see in your data section. Misha wrote: > Hello: > > So I've got this pivot chart that I've created, and it's great...

Combining multiple Stacked Charts
I have 3 scenarios with info on Asset A and Asset B for 10 years. I can create stack charts for each scenario independently, but can not figure out how to combine all 3 onto 1 chart across multiple years. x axis is year and each year should have 3 stacked lines Y Axis should be total value of both Assets Any help appreciated Does this help? http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/19/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "JANeyer" <...

SharePoint Alternate Access Mapping to my Dynamics GP BP site
Hello, If I have posted this question in the wrong forum please let me know! I’m looking for some guidance on changing the Alternate Access Mapping for my Dynamics Business Portal site. So I can implement Single Sign On via ISA Server which is supported on one web listener. Present configuration: Default Zone: http://geneva:222 I would like to add: Internet Zone: http://dynamicsbp.proclub.com I presently have another SharePoint Collection (The Main Portal) http://geneva configured which listens on Port: 80. I tried to add the Alternate Access Mapping http://dynamicsbp.proclub.com...

Using Formulas with Charts
I have a chart that references cells with the following formula =if(a1="","",a1/a2). The formula is used for each month Jan-Dec. I would like to copy the formula across all months. When I do this my data point show as zero for months that have not happened yet. What can I do to not show a line on the chart for a data point with a "" or null value? Thank you, Sandy The cell with the formula isn't blank, and "" does not produce a blank. There is not a formulaic way to simulate a blank, but for many cases, a line chart or XY chart will treat...

Area Charts
I have four lines that each define a horizontal zone. When I change each to an Area Chart, it appears that the color is only painted above each line and the color extends from the line all the way to the top of the chart. But above the top line I'd like this to be uncolored. I want the top two areas are filled in BELOW each line to a horiz. mid-point on the chart and the bottom two areas are filled in ABOVE these lines to a horiz. mid-point. In effect I want the chart to depict from top to bottom: Empty space Danger zone Safe zone Safe zone Danger zone Empty space Help!! Cr...

Page header and footer for charts from my template
I plot a lot of Y vs X data as scatter plots. Usually, I want the graphs as separate sheets. For these sheets, I want a standardized header and footer. Presently, I do this manually by 1. Select the chart location as New sheet, with a name 2. In the new sheet, click the Print Preview button 3. Click Setup... 4. enter Custom Header and Custom Footer data. I always enter the same data in step 4 above. It should be ideal for a template. Is there a way to use a template for this? Next time you add charts, assuming you add them to end of your workbook, click the last sheet that already...

Tab seq dynamically...
I have a button which added dynamically to a property sheet. Now for setting the tab sequence with this new button, Am using SetWindowPos() method. Now tab sequence is proper. THE PROBLEM IS Through the arrow keys, I could not navigate to the last button for which I called SetWindowPos. where as through tab keys I could go to the last control. I will appreciate ur help in this. DETAILED DESCRIPTION I have three buttons (OK,Cancel, Help)on the property sheet. I added a button "Default" to the property sheet and positioned between Cancel and Help. I set the tab sequence as ...

Combine Bar with Single Line Chart
Hello, Please can someone help me with this question. I am trying to create a bar chart with a single line chart. The bars will display the totals for various years i.e. 2004 104 2005 107 2006 108 2007 110 2008 101 The line chart will show how 2008 is performing on a weekly basis i.e. 01/01/2008 = 100 07/01/2008 = 101 14/01/2008 = 102 The bar chart for 2008 will reflect this also, updating each time a new week is added. The Y Axis I will assume display a total i.e. 99-111 for example. The X Axis needs to show the dates plotted for the line chart 01/01/2008 - 31/12/2008 (weekly) but how...

dynamic charting #2
Hi I have to update a weekly spreadsheet With week numbers in column B x series and three y series percentages in G,H,I columns. Could someone please help I need these to update automatically. If someone can explain in detail I would appreciate 39 2097 2165 68 1770.7 97 96.86 118.43 40 2443.15 2201 -242.15 1548.93 97 111.00 157.73 41 2162.83 2259 96.17 1600.78 97 95.74 135.11 42 2163.08 2241 77.92 1545.1 97 96.52 140.00 43 2137.5 2271 133.5 1664.6 97 94.12 128.41 44 2160.67 2298 137.33 1455 97 94.02 148.50 Ta Brian ...

Need a method to Dynamicly change the X axis Scale on a chart. #2
I dynamically change the amount of data on a chart. This causes the X axis Scale to either to either show too few values or too many values ( a solid black line if too many). I would like a method to dynamically change the scale values in relation to the data span. Joe - Do you want to limit the number of points displayed? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=246 Or do you want to link the axis scales to something you calculate in the sheet? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Zips/SwitchXYAxes.zip - Jon ----...

Dynamically populate a drop down list
Hi, I'm trying to dynamically populate a drop down list in MS CRM (1.2) based on certain parameters. I suppose I could do it using a SQL stored procedure, but I would prefer to use standard/supported CRM customizations. Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Dave- Dave, You can do it in 3.0 pretty easily based upon an example in the SDK... Here are some pretty pictures... http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2005/12/04/499868.aspx I have not tried it with 1.2, but it could probably work... Thanks Ben "Dave" <renor321@yahoo.com> wrot...

How do I put Adobe PDF file in body of email without it being in the attachment line?
I send out a newsletter in pdf but many can't get it. I recently received a pdf in the body of an Outlook message. Will this work better or is it the same as an attachment? DOn Version of Outlook? Program the non-recipients are using to receive and send email? Attachments in the body of the message (RTF - not good for non-Outlook/Eudora clients) is the same as the item in the attachment line (HTML and Plain Text.) --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without...