difference between 2 lines in a scatter chart

I have created a scatter chart with two lines. The x axis is divided up
into 10 parts and labeled 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.  What I want to do is
calculate the distance between the two lines between the x values of 40
and 60. Does anyone know how to to that? Thank you in advance.

--
prd02003
prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25762

How did you generate the lines?
  Are they from the data directly ot trendlines?

When you say you want to calculate the difference between x =40 to X=60,
  Do you want the average difference?
  do you want the difference at 40, at 60?

"prd02003" wrote:

> I have created a scatter chart with two lines. The x axis is divided up
> into 10 parts and labeled 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.  What I want to do is
> calculate the distance between the two lines between the x values of 40
> and 60. Does anyone know how to to that? Thank you in advance.
>

> --
> prd02003
> prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25762
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391727

0
BJ (832)
8/1/2005 8:36:17 PM
The lines are those generated by the smooth line effect in the scatter
chart options in excel. They are not trendlines. Basically I want to
measure the area between the two lines between the x values of 40 and
60. I have a bunch of really similar graphs and I want to see which
graph has the two lines that are the closest together between the x
values of 40 and 60. Does that help?

--
prd02003
prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25762
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391727

The chart itself is not going to readily be able to do this.  Th
"smooth curve" is just a spline, and may or may not represent reality.
I'm also not aware of any way to extract interpolated values fro
Excel's spline.  Best bet, IMO, will be to obtain the area between th
curves in the spreadsheet from which the data were plotted.  Do yo
have data points between 40 and 60?  What kind of curve (linear
exponential, etc.) do you expect

--
MrShort
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2218

I do have data points for one of the lines between 40 and 60 but not fo
the other. The line I don't have a data points for is linear (intercep
= 0, slope=1, data points 0 and 100) it represents an "ideal" and I a
measureing how close the other data fits to the ideal. Moreover, th
data is not linear in whole, but could be considered linear between 4
and 60. Does that help?

MrShorty Wrote:
> The chart itself is not going to readily be able to do this.  Th
> "smooth curve" is just a spline, and may or may not represent reality.
> I'm also not aware of any way to extract interpolated values fro
> Excel's spline.  Best bet, IMO, will be to obtain the area between th
> curves in the spreadsheet from which the data were plotted.  Do yo
> have data points between 40 and 60?  What kind of curve (linear
> exponential, etc.) do you expect

--
prd0200
prd02003's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2576
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39172

So your reference line is defined as y=x (technically, then, you do have
data points for this line in the 40 to 60 range, you just haven't used
them to plot the line in the chart).

If we can assume that the curve of interest is linear over the region
of interest (x=40 to 60), then the problem reduces very quickly to
finding the area of a trapezoid, [l1+l2]*h/2.  l1=f(40)-40,
L2=f(60)-60, h=x2-x1=60-40=20.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22181

Pulling data daily from a differently named report everyday
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where I use formulas to pull data from multiple reports on a shared server everyday. What I do is to save those reports under a certain name everyday since the formulas have to have the static report name in them to pull data. (For example, A1 may pull data from c:\reportfolder\reportA, B1 may pull from c: \reportfolder2\reportB, etc). In these report folders our IT group runs a new report in it everyday but of course they change the name of the report every day (to reflect the date) . . so in the reportfolder there will be "reportA-3-12-2009", and "...

Using 2 or consolidate in 1 mailbox server
Currently I have roughly 2,700 mailboxes. About 1,350 distributed onto two Exch 2000 mailbox servers, 2 CPU. Would it be a good idea consolidate this on 4 Proc, single Exch 2003 Server ? Estimated growth is roughly 15% of mailbox for the next three years. If I go with one single mailbox, I think I could save money and use the hardware to buy an identical server to do cluster. ...

How do I go from "Chart View" to "Pivot Table Form" in a Pivot ta.
While in an Excel Pivot table created in Access, I somehow became "stuck" in a bar chart view. I'd like to view my data in "Pivot Table Form" not as a chart. Is there a toggle button or some other way to get back to a Pivot tble form? Thanks If it's an embedded Excel file, there should be sheet tabs along the bottom of the window. You probably had a cell selected in the PivotTable, then clicked the Chart Wizard button, and it inserted a new sheet for the PivotChart. Click on the other sheet tabs, and you should find the pivot table. Jersey Girl wrote: &g...

Send to... #2
Hi, How can i get Outlook (not Outlook express) selected when i right click a file and choose "sent to email recipient"? Thanks -- Guillermo Brachetta Harpsichordist - Music Editor www.brachetta.com Answered in general forum. Please don't cross-post. "Guille" wrote: > Hi, > > How can i get Outlook (not Outlook express) selected when i right click a > file and choose "sent to email recipient"? > > Thanks > > -- > Guillermo Brachetta > Harpsichordist - Music Editor > www.brachetta.com > > > Not Answe...

How to combine data from 2 separate workbooks onto 1 worksheet
I am planning a meeting for 100 attendees. Our database contains a unique ID for each attendee as well as their name, mailing address, phone number, etc. I have another database that I received from our Travel Department containing the airline information (arrival date, arrival time, flight number, arrival airport, etc). How can I merge the 2 databases together into 1 database without having to copy/paste each attendee's information individually. Both databases have the unique ID for each attendee - is there a way to have Excel "find" the unique ID and then ad...

Employee Discounts #2
1. How are employee discounts setup? We are looking to provide employees a 10% discount, is it possible to do without having to Set Customer Price A, B & C? Also, if an item is set with no discount allowed, does the employee discount overrides that exception? 2. Is there a way to create Customer pricing for a certain Dept/Category rather than each item? Thx for your help. 1. You can use an 'Employee Template' in one of two ways. You could set up a customer entry called Employee Template in your customer database, then use the Customer Options tab to say the customer is an E...

Publisher2003 #2
I'm using Publisher2003 for the first time and I'm creating a letter to send out to businesses. Down at the bottom of the template is says "If you wish to be removed from our mailing list, click here. The 'click here' is underlined and in blue, but it doesn't go anywhere. How do I create a link to my Yahoo email so they can be removed? The only way this is going to work if you send the letter as a web page. Or a PDF with a link. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Judith" <Jud...

Different margins on different pages
I am setting up a template for letters at work. The first page of our letterhead has one ste of margins and all subsequent pages will have a different sent of margins. I know that section breaks can be used, but if staff copy and paste text from existing letters into this new template, the section break moves. Is there any way of locking the section break to the page? so the pasted text goes over the top of it? Hi Lilly80, You could setup your document with a 'different first page' layout. That allows the first page to have a different set of margins to the rest o...

Mortgage payments #2
I'd like to know the best way to handle setting up an extra recurring payment to principal in a mortgage loan. I want to add an extra amount to the principal payment each month and I would like MS Money to recalculate the load duration based on the new amortization. Thanks for the help. The best way to setup the extra principal payments is to create a new Loan Payment limited to a Principal Transfer component or add another line in the existing payment split with a second Principal Transfer component. Money will only compute the new number of payments as time goes on when you edit t...

Different values for error bars in series
In Excel 2007, how do you put in different error bar values for each data point in a series? So far I am only able to put in one value for all in my bar chart. Hi, See Jon's blog on the subject. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/error-bars-in-excel-2007/#comments Cheers Andy On 06/04/2010 15:52, wdwind1 wrote: > In Excel 2007, how do you put in different error bar values for each data > point in a series? So far I am only able to put in one value for all in my > bar chart. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

how do i plot a graph that has more than 2 axis
I would like to know how I could plot a graph that has 2 x axis and 2 y axis on the same graph What are you trying to graph that would require two of each axis? "UK ENGINEERING" wrote: > I would like to know how I could plot a graph that has 2 x axis and 2 y axis > on the same graph Doesn't matter what he's plotting. Here's how to get all axes you're entitled to. Usually when you tell Excel to plot a series on the secondary axis, all it does is add a secondary Y axis. To get a secondary X axis, choose Chart Options from the Chart menu, and on the Axes t...

Excel Database #2
I have been doing my invoices in Excel from Office 2000 and storing the relevent bits into a database created by the template wizard in the Data drop-down. Now I have office XP on my new machine but this option does not appear in Excel, How can i create an invoice template that stores to a database now? ...

A Different CRM for GP
Hello, We are pondering the idea of implementing MS Dynamics CRM. However, I am curious whether anyone else has had success in integrating a different CRM product with GP 10.0. It's not that we don't like the MS product; I just like to ensure I have covered all bases. Our partner does not have any other recommendations as they have not worked with any other CRM applications. Any information would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you, -- Jessie GoldMine is a good product, very mature, and easier to maintain table structures. There are links to GP but I cannot remember the fir...

How do i create a pie chart that shows % of time on tasks?
I need to create a pie chart that shows what percent of time my employees are working on each of 5-6 efforts. Does anyone have a good template for that? Thanks! ...

Organizational Chart
I'm trying to automatically resize an autoshape. However, in the format menu on the alignment tab, "Automatic size" is grayed out. Would you please help me to make this available to checkmark. Thank You. B Select the autoshape and right click the mouse and select Format Autoshape. Stuart ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Stuart, But the "automatic size" is greyed out. How do I make that option available? Thank you. B...

merging a value in a text field with each line in a memo field
I am trying to merge a value in a text field with the information in a memo field using a query to create a report. This is the query I am using: SELECT AVRelay+","+IPRange FROM T_Sites AVRelay is the text field and IPRange is the Memo. IPRange has multiple lines, each of which I need appended with the value in AVRelay for the report. It should look like. 2,192.168.1.0/24 2,192.168.0.0/24 2,192.168.2.0/24 Instead it looks like 2,192.168.1.0/24 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.2.0/24 I have searched far and wide but has come up empty. Please help! I would gues...

PFDAVAdmin #2
I saw an article that says you can use PFDAVAdmin to determine which public folders are being used and which ones aren't. I can't find how to do this with the docmentation provided. Does anyone know how to find this information. On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:42:32 -0700, Tyson <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I saw an article that says you can use PFDAVAdmin to determine which public >folders are being used and which ones aren't. I can't find how to do this >with the docmentation provided. Does anyone know how to find this >information. You can ...

transparencies #2
Hi guys... I've created an image that has a call-out auto shape on it, to make the guy in the picture look as though he's saying something. I need to print it on a t-shirt, which means it needs to print backwards. Do you know how to do this? I can flip the call-out, but the letters don't turn around backwards, so when the image prints... the words aren't showing up the proper way. Any help appreciated. chadc007007 wrote: > Hi guys... I've created an image that has a call-out auto shape on > it, to make the guy in the picture look as though he's saying &g...

2 users access calendar online with different rights
hi user A wants to give user B permission to see, add and edit entries in calendar online http://www.exchangedomain.ch/usersname/kalender/ user B is able to see, but not to add or edit entries at the moment in outlook itself its working. user B can open the folder calendar of user A and make entries and change entries what have to be done that this is possible also with web access exchange ? thankx mike schwarz On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:09:29 +0200, "Mike Schwarz" <ctek@ctek.ch> wrote: >hi > >user A wants to give user B permission to see, add and edit entries in &...

COUNTIF formula Using 2 or more cells
Hi, I am just exploring more with Excel. I am going to paste the table in and explain what I am trying to acheive. A B 1 31/04/2010 (month of reporting, Displayed as April, 2010) 2 3 12/04/2010 Vocational Assessment 4 15/03/2010 Vocational Assessment 5 01/04/2010 Vocational Re-Education I am trying to Count how many Vocational Assessment have the Date in the month of April. Does anyone know the best formula to use. I have used =SUMPRODUCT((A3:A5="31/03/2010")*(B3:B4="Vocational Assessment...

updating charts automatically
Hi, I have a line chart which is based on data that comes from several calculations from a couple of different worksheets. When I change some of the drop down menus (which changes the variables used in the calculations and ultimately the data used for the chart) the chart doesn't update automatically. Instead you have to save, close then reopen to see the result. Does anyone know of any possible reasons why, and what I could do to overcome this? Thanks in advance, Chris I am having the same problem too.... I am using excel 2003... The only difference I have from the guy abov...

Same column, different cell width at different row
I have tried inserting a break and split, didn't work. I just want to separate the top half of a page with the bottom half so I can apply different cell width on the same column. Or how would I be able to do this? Same column but different cell width. Thanks! Glenn You can't do that. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Glenn Chung" <GlennChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20746997-9D99-4684-A352-120370D27036@microsoft.com... >I have tried inserting a break and split, di...

Excel Option Conflicts #2
I need a workbook to run with specific options which may conflict with options already established by open workbooks sharing the same EXCEL.exe process. e.g one workbook needs "Manual Calculation", others "Automatic Calculation" I believe one solution is to ensure that whenever this workbook is opened, it runs (exclusively) a new EXCEL.exe process. How can I ensure this works for all users accessing this file? Or is there a smarter way? I don't think that there is a way to ensure this. You could give them instructions, you could give them a workbook that crea...

Increase plot size within Chart area
Help, report due today. How do I increase the size of the plot area to fit more closer to the chart area margins. I would like to bring the plot area closer to the border of the chart area. This has been annoying me. Moving the chart handles to increase the size simply moves the white border with it. Assistance that works, greatly appreciated. Click in the middle of the chart to select the Plot Area. Resize this rectangle to suit. If it's a 3D chart, you will not be able to make it as large as you'd probably like. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials an...

error #2
I couldn't convert my old files from money 99 so I tried to install money 99 on my new computer. Now I get this error message; ordinal 6467 could not be located in the dynamic link libray MFC42.DLL So how am I suppose to use my money? I can't install old and can't use new without typing in my whole year's worth of checks, etc. See other thread and PLEASE don't just keep posting new slightly different threads hoping for the best. Now you say you couldn't convert. Other thread it was couldn't restore. Previous thread it was "upload or convert". ...