Determining error associated with polynomial trend lines.

I have a plot that requires a polynomial trend line to the fourth power that
has error associated with the y-axis values only.  From this point on, I'm
relying on the equation displayed by excel to further manipulate that data,
which I have done and double checked with excel and it's corrrect.  I'm
having difficulty, however, in continuing the calculations of associated
error.  Is Excel capable of outputting the error associated with each
coefficient of the generated trend line equation?  If it is possible, how do
you do it?

- BJR
0
BJRichter (1)

See Help for the LINEST function.  You might also find
  http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
to be helpful.

For Excel versions prior to 2003, if the LINEST coefficients do not agree
with the coefficients from an "XY (Scatter)" chart trendline, then the
calculations are too difficult for the old LINEST.  For Excel 2003, LINEST
and and an "XY (Scatter)" chart trendline coefficients should agree.

In 2003, LINEST can incorretly return a zero for some coefficients, but I
don't believe that can occur with polynomials.  When it does occur, the
standard errors output by LINEST are still correct, even though the
coefficient is incorrectly zeroed.

Jerry

"BJ Richter" wrote:

> I have a plot that requires a polynomial trend line to the fourth power that
> has error associated with the y-axis values only.  From this point on, I'm
> relying on the equation displayed by excel to further manipulate that data,
> which I have done and double checked with excel and it's corrrect.  I'm
> having difficulty, however, in continuing the calculations of associated
> error.  Is Excel capable of outputting the error associated with each
> coefficient of the generated trend line equation?  If it is possible, how do
> you do it?
>
> - BJR
0
post_a_reply (1395)

Error msg when releasing form filter and acPrevious
I've created multiple linked forms and am using the filter , , , "RecordID = " & Me.Record ID to have the forms stay on the same record. At the end of the forms, I have a button to go to next record which works fine. At the beginning of the form I have a Previous Record button that uses the standard code with Me.FilterOn=False right after the On Error GoTo statement. When I press the button, it goes to the previous record and gives me an error saying "You can't go to the specified record". While I don't care about the msg, it doesn't look good. Any ...

Error in chart wizard
The following error occured in Excel 97: -> User clicked on chart wizard -> clicked the customer types tab and got the following errors one after the other: 1st - Microsoft Visual Basic Permission to use object denied 2nd - Microsoft Excel Error accessing user-defined custom chart file 3rd - Program error Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. This happened on more than one machine. I do not get this error message on my machine. I have a screenshot of the errors if it would help. Has...

Windows update error

Outlook Error #22
Howdy. While attempting to setup Outlook for a couple of users, I get the following after successfully creating their profile: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. You don't have permission to login" and "Unable to open your default email folders. You don't have permission to log on" Thanks in advance. Logan <qlogan@comcast.net> wrote: > Howdy. While attempting to setup Outlook for a couple of > users, I get the following after successfully creating > their profile: > > "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. You don't have > per...

Open form based on combo box value w/error message for blank combo box
I am working in an Access 2000 database that I've inherited. I'm trying to clean up some of the non-working functions. I am trying to open a form using the OnClick property for a button. On a job order form, there is an unbound combo box [CmbContactID] that gets its list from querying Table!ContactInformation.[CustomerCodes]. When populated, [CmbContactID] should provide the value to open FrmContactInformation when [CmdOpenContactForm] (a button) is clicked. I want an error message to display if the field is blank otherwise it will open the form for the customer code that is displaye...

determine mail flow problem!!!!!!!!
Help! :-( Our mailflow from 2 backend 2003 exchange servers keeps queuing up in the outbound queue (which is set to always run delivery). Messages stay in there from 10 to 120 minutes before being sent to our gateway MTA and then sent off site (to hotmail.com for example). However when I telnet from a backend server to the gateway over port 25 and send a test message it goes right away. I can't for the life of me figure out why. One example when viewed in message tracking history says: 10:16am - smtp: store driver, message submitted from store 10:16am - smtp: message submitted to ...

Quick Campaign error 02-15-06
When creating a quick campaign, the last step is to distribute the campaign activities to the different contacts, i get the following error. "you do not have enough priviliges to access the Microsoft CRM object or perform the requested operation. Contact your system admin." User is crm admin. No logging in the event viewer + no difference when dev error are turned on in webconfig file. Any ideas? "Frederic @ Traviata" wrote: > When creating a quick campaign, the last step is to distribute the > campaign activities to the different contacts, i get the following...

frequent error
I am facing this error very frequently in Word 2007. Without any warning the application closes and I either get a message asking me to report the error or I get a message saying 'word cannot open the file ~WRS{EF56572F.......' . It says some thing about the file being on the network or some thing. Please help. Sounds like a possibly dodgy printer. Have you got a locally installed printer driver set as the Windows default or are you using a networked printer? -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "seeker" <seeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

An NDR report when sending to a user on our internal domain! Error is "Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address."
We have an Exchange 2000 \ Windows 2000 SP4 setup currently (although we have a new Exchange 2003 cluster built, which we will start migrating users too in a week or so). This morning one of my users sent me an NDR report, when a user on my domain was sent a meeting invitation to another user on my domain. What happened was this: User A on our domain sent a meeting invitationto User B. As UserB had UserC listed as a delegate within Outlook, UserC was also sent the message automatically. Much to UserA's amazement he got the following error message within an NDR email: The following reci...

Outlook Express error
I have been recieving the following error every time is try to send any messages. Can anyone help me get in the right direction. The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'MDU Wiring', Server: 'smtp.mduwiring.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E ...

activesync causes connect error
Hi all the following is my setup I connect my win-mobile to laptop with active sync enabled. case 1 1. laptop connected to network A over wireless 2. mobile connected to network B over wireless then i create tcp client socket and call connect () from windows mobile this gives me a connect error with error code 10060 case 2 if i now associate laptop to network B then the connect call is successful why does connect fail in first case. Does it need any changes in activesync setting to work? Thank you On May 27, 5:15=A0pm, ajay <ajaykamath1...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all ...

Error opening spread sheet
Hi, Every time I click on a shortcut link to a spread sheet, whether on the desktop or from e-mail I get a message that says "A document with the same '******.xls' is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that is currently open, or rename one of the documents". It doesn't matter if I creat new shortcut links, the problem is still there. Any Ideas? .. maybe: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen (From Debra Dalgleish&...

Campaign Mail Merge error
Hello, A campaign activity I created has the status System Aborted even through it sent the emails out OK - this means that my No. Targeted = 0 so my measuring of the campaign is all wrong. Is there any way to manually change this status? Can I change the No. Targeted for a campaign / campaign activity somehow? What I did: Created a campaign activitiy - chose Email via mail merge I have the Outlook client so when I distributed this activity Word fired up Once Word loaded the Campaign activity freed up I did the mailmerge in Word - it seemed to run OK, sending out the emails fine Looking...

"An unexpected error has occurred" error on accessing PWA
I have installed project server 2007 and setup the project web access site which was successfully provisioned. However, when I try to access the URL http://server:port/pwa/default.aspx, I get an error "An unexpected error has occurred". Can anybody please help me. Silly question, but have you tried an iisreset? It does cure a lot of ills. "Girish Mutagi" wrote: > I have installed project server 2007 and setup the project web access site > which was successfully provisioned. However, when I try to access the URL > http://server:port/pwa/default.as...

outlook express error message
Am receiving the following error message when trying to send groups of email messages using Publisher content. The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'tif3600@aol.com'. Subject 'AFAF Update Bulletin', Account: 'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79 I do not have that email address in Outlook or anywhere else on my computer. Aol was of no...

Determine columns used
I have 100+ spreadsheets which i have to edit into a certain format. The spreadsheets currently have 100 columns (from 1-100). From there i have to reduce the number of columns set to 8 columns. E.g: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (from column 9 onwards, it goes to the 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 next rows' column 1) 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 How do i do that without altering the order of the value of the cell? Let me make sure we understand the question. You have ...

Publi Folder replication error
Hi, I'm experiencing Public Folder replication issues between two Exch 2K servers on two sites. ServerA hold all the folders and I am trying to replicate to serverB. However ServerB will replicate the folder, but not the content. Even if I post new messages into the Public Folders on ServerA the Backfill process will not kick in for serverB, even though the new message is replicated from ServerA to ServerB. I've turned on Public Folder diagnostics and get the below errors. Any help would be much appreciated! EventID: 3074 Source: MSExchangeIS Public A backfill request (1 of 4) for p...

Rounding error
I am using Money 2006 Canadian Standard Edition. In my Portfolio View I have an Avg Cost column. I would like to see the Avg Cost using 3 decimal places but I have found that it always rounds up to 2 decimal places. Even if I put in 4 or 5 decimal places, it always rounds up to 2 decimal places. Eg: $0.135 rounds to $0.140 using 3 decimal places. It's driving me nuts! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!! In microsoft.public.money, AJ wrote: >I am using Money 2006 Canadian Standard Edition. > In my Portfolio View I have >an Avg Cost column. I would lik...

commdlg.h errors
When i try to compile below basic code part i get errors. #include <windows.h> _stdcall WinMain (HINSTANCE i,HINSTANCE j,char* k,int l) { MessageBox(0,"Hi","Bye",0); } Compiling... message.c \include\commdlg.h(189) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'NMHDR' \include\commdlg.h(192) : error C2059: syntax error : '}' \include\commdlg.h(196) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'NMHDR' \include\commdlg.h(197) : error C2371: 'lpOFN' : redefinition; different basic types \include\commdlg.h(190) : see declaration of 'lpO...

Dynamically determining when a month ends
Hello all, Ok, I have a simple excel spreadsheet, where I keep track of my spending on one tab, my income in another and my summary in a thrid. My problem happens when I try to dynamically calc. avg's for months in the summary page. For instance, if I want to see how much money I spent on average per month, or even per day, I draw from the data entered into the spending page. Now, the spending page is set up with the following columns: Date:: Description:: Amount The problem with this is that I can't predefine a max row # for each month, since I might have 80 entries in spending...

GPS Error 56
I have a user who is getting GPS Error 56 with these steps... Great Plains > Tools >Setup>Company>Fiscal Periods to open Project for 03/31/06. It opened it but gave the following string of errors. 1. An error occured executing sql statements 2. GPS Error: 56 3. SQL Error: 208 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name ' Dynamics..AAG00104'. 4. ODBC Error: S0002 We are using GP 8.0, SP3. ------=_NextPart_0001_48C15C49 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I see your issue is with opening up fiscal periods. Based ...

how to determine the size of the sheet
Hi I had a collegue who told me once a way to dtermine the number of the rows in a sheet of the workbook I am working at. It is known that when you open a new workbook each sheet has maybe 65365 or something like that rows. MY QUESTION IS: HOW TO MAKE THE SHEET 1000 ROWS OR WHATEVER NUMBERS OF ROWS I ONLY NEED? Thanks in Advance, Ahmed Hi Ahmed The number of rows and columns are fixed. Your workaround would be to hide the ones you consider unneeded. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Ahmed SHEBL" <ahmad.shebl@hotmail.com> skrev i melding news:%231uFO3IcHHA.4720@TK2MSFTNGP0...

Powerpoint error
hi, I have microsoft office 98 instanlled on my Mac. Every time I try to open a power point file I have ERROR TYPE 11 pop up. I even try to open the application fron the CD itself to no avail. If you have any idea let me know. Thanks If this is occurring every time you launch PowerPoint, try the suggestions here: <http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00006.htm> The updates you need are: * Microsoft Office 2001 Service Release 1 * Microsoft Word 2001 Security Update: Macro Vulnerability * Microsoft PowerPoint/Excel 2001 Macro Security Update * Entourage 2001 - Hotmail Updater (even...

Error when opening mail
I get the following error message when I open my mail and don't know where to start to correct this. Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] invalid user/password', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail: http://mail.yahoo.com . If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password. A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is account corruption. One thing you should try as a p...

Error Generating OAB
Hello, I am running Exchange 2003 w/SP2, but I was having this problem previous to applying SP2. Every night when my OAB generates, the following error is logged in my App Log: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: OAL Generator Event ID: 9320 Date: 12/1/2005 Time: 4:08:41 AM User: N/A Computer: ODIN Description: OALGen could not generate full details for some entries in the offline address list for address list '\Global Address List'. To see which entries are affected, event logging for the offline address list generator must be set to at least medi...