Demographic chart?

Hi,
I need to create a demographic chart in Excel, but I can't find the proper
chart type. Is there a suitable chart type? I've gone through all options I
can think of for a regular bar chart. (In my world, a demographic chart is a
bar chart with the values pointing in two different directions... Not very
complicated, but Excel doesn't seem to agree with me!) Does anyone know of an
adequate solution?
BR -
Aggie
0
Aggie (8)

Hi,

They are also known as Tornado charts or population pyramids.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html
http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/tornado/index.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)
3/22/2007 2:19:38 PM
Hi Andy,
Many thanks! My graph looks almost exactly like I want it to now! I can't
get the number format right for the custom format - I'd prefer a thousand
seperator where there is none - but I can definitely live with that.
I'm surprised there's no tool in Excel though... Maybe something for the
next version?
BR -
Aggie
0
Aggie (8)

Demographic chart?

Legend on Chart

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Charting
I am trying to figure out how to plot a chart of T Vs (V1-V2) without actually creating a Column to calculate V1-V2. Please help. Thanks Here's an example. Put T values in A2:A12, V2 values in B2:B12, and V1 values in C2:C12 (B1 and C1 are reserved for labels). Press Ctrl-F3 to open the Define Names dialog. Enter a name like DeltaV in the name box, type an equals sign in the Refers To box, select the range containing V2, then type a minus sign, then select the range containing V1, and press Add. The refers To box contains the formula: =Sheet1!$B$2:$B$12-Sheet1!$C$2:$C$12 Now...

Link embedded chart to a commandbutton?
I have a embedded chart which I wish to show the chart when I press a commandButton and hide the chart when I press either the same button or another one. -- Bob Hi, The basic code would be, which will toggle visibility of first chartobject on sheet. Sub Button2_Click() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Visible = Not ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Visible End Sub Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F16B6F66-95AB-4C12-9B21-B5513FB1FDEE@microsoft.com... >I have a embedded...

Charts disappearing
I have a worksheet that contains multiple sheets. There are 2 charts each on their own sheet and pulling data from 2 addtional sheets within the same workbook. Whenever I choose to print either chart on a color printer the chart starts to flash, it prints, but then is not visible on the sheet. If I close the workbook and reopen it the chart is there again. i do not have this problem if I print it in black & white. Any suggestions? -- Thank you! ...

Sorting charts
Hi All, I want to sort the charts in a spreadsheet on its name and i have the code to do this. but my code sorts the charts based on the index value. Is there any way to sort charts by there name. thanks, Navin The index value is the Z order, where 1 is the one behind all the others, and the highest number is in front of all the others. Adjust the Z order (Bring Forward, Send Backward), then run your sorting routine. Or provide the list of chart object names to the procedure and use these in order to move each chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom...

Reproducing comparison charts
Basically I’d want to search the database on some criteria like locality, country etc and then use one set of data as the reference (that we’d chose) and another as the set I'm interested in comparing. I think plots like this next to each other would be really powerful. ...

Aligning line chart with column chart (4 categories)
Hi All, I am trying to plot a line chart over a column chart (4 categories). The columns on the primary y-axis, while the lines on the secondary y-axis. The problem is that the line charts starting points are always at the middle of the data series but not properly aligned with the columns. I want to shift them and align them with the column charts. Here is the data. 2011 2011 2012 2012 Volume % of sector Volume % Sector Company 1 150 7% 310 11% Company 2 170 5% 320 12% Company 3 160 4% 330 13% If you plot them in col...

Creating a Chart using Pivotchart wizard
This Pivottable /Chart wizard has confused me... I have the following Table: Name Day1 Day2 Day3 Day4 Day5 Tom E L R N S Dick L N S E R Harry N S E L E Jane S E R L N I like to create a chart to view who has the most E,L,N, etc. How do acheive this. What do I select as Row,Column and Data in the Pivotchar Wizard? :) Many Thanks Gunjan -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com As answered in .worksheet.functions -- '================================ Your table isn't set up to create a pivot table and pivot chart. You could reorganize the data, e.g.: Name Day Code ...

How to create chart with 1 column and 3 lines
IF This type of chart not in Standarad or Custom Types. THANK YOU Hi, Start by creating a standard column chart. Now select 1 of the column series that you want as a line. Right click and chose Chart Types. Select Line chart. That should have now changed the data series to a line. Select another column and this time press F4, which will repeat the last action. Repeat for the final series. Or maybe its easier to create a line chart of all 4 and the change 1 series to column using the same technique as above. Cheers Andy agenda9533 wrote: > IF > This type of chart not in Standara...

Formatting all data series in a chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel If I, for example, want to add value labels to all series in a chart (or change line width or anything else that normally would be similar for all series in a chart), I have to select each one and make the change for each of them. <br><br>Is there a way to target all data series at once? (I would expect shift-click or cmd-click to select multiple series, but that doesn't work.) ...

Pie Chart #2
I have a column titled "On time" the entries underneath this title are either"Yes", "NO", or "NOT COMPLETED". I want to create a pie chart with the percentages of Yes and NO. Please help. Thanks in advance. In one cell, use the formula =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"=YES"). In another, =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"=NO"). Build your graph from the results of those two cells. Hope this helps. Jane "Dahlman" wrote: > I have a column titled "On time" the entries underneath this title are > either"Yes", "NO&qu...

Comments in a Chart
I am using Excel 2000 I created a graph and added a text box with a comment in it. Now I want to delete the comment/text box, but can't seem to do it. When I click on the comments, all I get is "text box 1". I can not grab it to delete it. What am I doing wrong???? Please help. Aurora Hi, A couple of things you could try. If when you click the textbox it draws a bounding box with handles (little squares in the corners) you can try clicking the border rather than the text, then try the delete button. Or select the chart and then use the up/down cursor arrows to cycle...

Autofilter and Charts
I have a chart set up to display the first few lines of data in a large matrix of data. The matrix of data is autofiltered with respect to the first two columns so that I only look at the data that I'm interested in. When it is filtered, the amount of data remaining fits the chart range. I have set this up for one filter case and when I choose another, the chart goes blank b/c they are trying to maintain a link with the first filter that they were set up on. I would like the charts to only read the data in the first few lines of data while I dynamically change this data via auto...

Excel Charting Maybe? #2
Dave, Thanks for your response. No, I do not have the data. I need t know how to save a formula so others can put in there data an immediately get the answer to the equation. Any thoughts? :confused undefinedUNDEFINE -- amarott ----------------------------------------------------------------------- amarotti's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27423 Maybe something like this in a separate helper column (my test data was in G1:G20): =IF(G1>PERCENTILE($G$1:$G$20,0.9),"...

How do i get a chart showing the demographics of a country?
I have population data both male and female broken down by 22 age groups. I need to plot the demography (like in Geography) showing one one side male and the numbers in that age range and similarly female on the other side Hi, Have a look at these explanations. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/tornado/index.html Cheers Andy april2774 wrote: > I have population data both male and female broken down by 22 age groups. I > need to plot the demography (like in Geography) showing one one side male and > the numbers in that...

Powerpoint chart issue
I am trying to create a stacked in 3D column chart that displays 2 sales numbers. I want the bottom axis of my chart to list the regions and the side axis to list the dollar amounts. There are 4 regions in total and each region is comparing 2008 to 2009. My issue is that I want each region to show 2 stacked columns (08 vs 09), then I want to see a space and then the next region is listed...and so forth. I can't seem to figure out how to get this stacked column to work. Any suggestions?? http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ explains how to c...

Changing Colors on an Excel Bar Chart
I am running Office 2000. I have a chart that has both positive and negative values. What I want to do is display the positive number in blue and the negative numbers in a different color. Bill - You could make some conditional charts: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Bill Godwin wrote: > I am running Office 2000. I have a chart that has both positive and > negative values. What I want to do is display the positive...

how can i produce regional maps with demographic data using excel.
I was wondering how can I use excel to produce regional/city visualization maps with demographic data Pedro, This post might help: http://www.automateexcel.com/index.php/2005/03/18/where_do_i_get_an_xml_map ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Pedro" wrote: > I was wondering how can I use excel to produce regional/city visualization > maps with demographic data Hi John, You may be confusing XML data maps with the MS Map addin program that use to be included in XL2000. Cheers Andy John Mansfield wrote: > Pedro, > > This post might help: >...

3D area charts?
I'm interested in plotting X, Y, and Z axes to compare three properties of various products. As far as I can tell, Excel can't produce an area graph of this sort of data. I've found one website that shows how to do a mock- up 3D scatter plot based on three axes, but nothing that truly uses all three ... Anyone have suggestions? Excel cannot render a 3D scatter chart, in which X, Y, and Z are all continuous numerical variables. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Epimetreus...