definning events along X axis

I currently havre a pretty basic graph with time on the X axis and sales
along the Y. What I was wondering is whether there is a way to define
certain events on the graph to better put into context the sales
performance achieved during these events.

Example:
the graph already shows sales activity on a daily basis for the month
of may. I am open to any non pie-type graph that would allow me the
extra functionality of charting, in any reasonnable manner (other then
manualy touching up dates on the finished graph) these respective
dates:
-may 1 to may 5 as a promotional event
-may 12 to may 19th as a transition period
-may 28 to may 30 as a special marketing event

I'm open to any suggestions / software packages / ad-ons / questions
and am prommissing an honorable mention to anyone with any information
leading to the proper production of this graph, for whatever that's
worth!

--
Uncle Buck
Uncle Buck's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24132

Here's my 1st attempt at a solution.  You didn't say what type of char
you are using, or any other details, but this worked for me, in on
form or another for a scatter plot, line graph, and a column chart.

1) Assume dates are in consecutive order in column A, sales figures fo
each date in column B.
2) In column C, in rows corresponding to event dates (include dates i
between start and end), enter the minimum Y value in the chart.  Othe
rows left blank
3) Add column C as a series to the chart, formatted as a colored lin
without markers.

This gives colored lines that show the dates over which the event
occured.

As an extension, you could use more columns and additional series t
indicate different event types -- say a red line for the "promotional
event, a blue line for the "transition" event, and a purple line fo
the "marketing" event.

If it was hard to see on the X axis, set the value to something
little above the minimum Y value, or something near the maximum Y valu
to put the event lines near the top of the chart.

Was that worthy of an honorable mention:)

--
MrShort
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2218

You can add a dummy series, and put data labels onto its points and
error bars to generate custom gridlines. Here are a few examples:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryGridlines.html
   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Uncle Buck wrote:

> I currently havre a pretty basic graph with time on the X axis and sales
> along the Y. What I was wondering is whether there is a way to define
> certain events on the graph to better put into context the sales
> performance achieved during these events.
>
> Example:
> the graph already shows sales activity on a daily basis for the month
> of may. I am open to any non pie-type graph that would allow me the
> extra functionality of charting, in any reasonnable manner (other then
> manualy touching up dates on the finished graph) these respective
> dates:
> -may 1 to may 5 as a promotional event
> -may 12 to may 19th as a transition period
> -may 28 to may 30 as a special marketing event
>
> I'm open to any suggestions / software packages / ad-ons / questions
> and am prommissing an honorable mention to anyone with any information
> leading to the proper production of this graph, for whatever that's
> worth!

Mr Shorty, thank You!
I tried it and it works, it actually worked even better then I thought.
I've formatted the event data to show up as lines on the bar graph and
it looks GREAT! I'm even planning on layering over the competition's
events at certain heights (example; our events are along the bottom of
the Y axis; competitor A events are found 1/3 of the way up the Y axis,
competitor B events, 2/3 up). I showed the post to my boss and we were
both very impressed.

Although I can't include your name clearly on the report body, it will
be embossed in the document's information label section
(File/properties/Comments: "Based in part on conceptualization and
development advice from Mr.Shorty, www.excelforum.com) , I assure you.

Thanks again!

--
Uncle Buck
Uncle Buck's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24132
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377511

Collections Management
Dynamics GP v9 - Collections Management Users are unable to use "user defined letters" (Word Documents) for mass mailings. They are limited to only using predefined letters, or printing each letter individually for every customer. Error received when users attempt to use a custom letter: -------------------------------------------------- Unhandled script exception: Cannot find report "COL_Reminder_UpcomingDue". EXCEPTION_CLASS_SCRIPT_MISSING SCRIPT_CMD_REPORT -------------------------------------------------- ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microso...

SelectNodes and NodeInserted event
Hi I am writing an application that listens to the NodeInserted event, and if the event is fired it does a selectnodes xpath query on the XmlDocument. Only problem is, when I call SelectNodes(string, XmlNameSpaceManager) the NodeInserted event gets fired as well, without me doing any modifucation of the document. This results in an infinite loop of metod calls and callbacks in my app, and eventually a stack overflow in the XmlDocument. The node returned by the NodeInserted event from SelectNodes is a text node with the value of "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace". This is ...

Is there a way to get log scale on the x axis?
Are you making an XY chart Have you tried Format Axis and clicked Log scale? Does the data have a range of at least 10? You could use =LOG(a1) and use that column for the x-axis Could you write question in the body next time and give more info? Thanks -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:59A51031-CFE5-4CB1-B287-6C6E3502937A@microsoft.com... > ...

Application-defined or object-defined error
Hi, I find myself stumped by an incredibly easy piece of code and one that I have used before. I am getting the error: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error I am getting the error when I run the following code: Private Sub Workbook_Open() With Application .ScreenUpdating = False .DisplayAlerts = False Workbooks.Open "\\depot02\rel\www\internal\business_areas\edg\Metrics\Phones\HighHoldTimesDetailed.xls" Workbooks("HighHoldTimesDetailed.xls").Worksheets("data").Cells.Copy _ Workbooks("phoneholdtime...

runtime error 2465: application-defined or object-defined error
I'm trying to use a button on a main form to change the sort order of a sub- subform.When I execute the following, I get runtime error 2465: application- defined or object-defined error. opting to debug, I find the line with orderbyon highlighted. Anybody see what's wrong? Private sub timesort_click() Forms![control]![worklist]![approved].Form.OrderBy = "Forms![control]! [worklist]![approved]![time]" Forms![control]![worklist]![approved].Form.OrderBy0n = True End Sub -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/a...

Event Logs 9153 and 8213
Everyone, sorry for being boring, and to post the same error on the second time, However, I have not heard, from anyone, any comments therefore I have decided to post it again, last time (-: with better picture of a problem. I am receiving 9153 and 8213 on my event log Environment Clustered Exchange servers, • Our network recently moved to a different location, so we have changed all the IP addresses for entire network has been changed already. • Event though we are receiving errors below, our network and mail servers %100 percent Operational, there is no mail interruption • Event ...

how to do self-defined regression in excel?
Hi, I want to do regression ananlysis in excel using a sigmoid function, which is not offered in the general 6 functions in excel(by adding trendline). How can I do it? Thanks. The Analysis ToolPak - VBA addin has a regression function and probably everything else you want. Tools > AddIns then checkmark Analysis ToolPak - VBA Go back to Tools dropdown and it should be listed near the bottotm of the dropdown. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, I want to do regression ananlysis in excel using a >sigmoid function, which is not offered in the general 6 >functions in excel(by a...

Defining a variable to = MATCH
Dim thingy As Integer thingy = "=MATCH(""DiceC"",qperiodagentperformance!A:A,0)" ActiveCell.Formula = _ "=INDEX(qperiodagentperformance!D" & thingy & ":D13000,MATCH(""Agen Summary"",qperiodagentperformance!A" & thingy & ":A13000,0))" Range("D26").Select my thingy doesnt seem to work..... no comment Any suggestions on correcting this? Mik -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try with thingy = Application.Match("DiceC", Sheets("qperiodagentperformance"...

How can I register Office v.X?
I failed to register when I installed and now cannot find the setup assistant. In article <f01e2995.0403061937.568a5cf@posting.google.com>, lorfal@earthlink.net (Lora) wrote: > I failed to register when I installed and now cannot find the setup assistant. Check out the <application menu>/On-line registration menu item in any Office v.X app. On 3/6/04 8:56 PM, in article jemcgimpsey-72FB7E.21561206032004@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote: > In article <f01e2995.0403061937.568a5cf@posting.google.com>, > lorfal@eart...

User-Defined type not defined?
I recently imported all my data into a blank DB now I am getting this error on: Dim wrk As Workspace Is that something to do with me importing into a new DB Thanks for any help...........Bob Sub SelAllNone(Optional SelectAll As Boolean = True) On Error GoTo stoprun Dim sqlStr As String Dim wrk As Workspace Dim db As Database Set wrk = DBEngine.Workspaces(0) Set db = CurrentDb sqlStr = "UPDATE [tblHorseInfo] SET [Worksheet] = " & SelectAll & ";" wrk.BeginTrans db.Execute sqlStr, dbFailOnError wrk.CommitTrans Exit_Here: Set wrk = Nothing Set db = Nothing ...

Dates in Excel 2007 graph axis dialogs
I work for an environmental engineering firm, and commonly create time-series and other scatterplots of numerical data using Excel. In Excel 2003, I could format a time-series scatterplot axis minimum and maximum easily by typing in the dates in short date format. Not so in 2007 - it refuses to accept dates in anything but "days elapsed since 01/01/1900" format. Is there a workaround for this? Why was it changed? It was quite useful. Overall, I'm pretty unhappy with the new Excel. It seems to have acquired a lot more layers of very questionable usefulness. Many of...

user defined fields 01-12-10
I have created a user defined field "GHINno". Using copied code I can emumate user defined fields and find "GHINno". I have code the Sets folder to the "Folder"- "Set MyContact = MyFolder.Folders("Seven Hills Mens Club")". But I can't figure out how to get to the value(s) in "GHINno", either the first value or loop through all values. Any help with UserProperty or Userproperties or whatever would be appriciated. Joe See http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?ID=38 for info on property syntax. You can use a F...

Can't find source of Application-defined or object-defined error!?
I won't post all of the code here because it's too extensive but here's a watered down version (all variables declarations are not listed): Dim i as integer Dim PortName As String Dim ReviewSht As String Dim ModelSht As String Dim HoldingsSht As String Dim Model As Range PortName = Right(ActiveSheet.Name, Len(ActiveSheet.Name) - 15) ReviewSht = "Price Weight - " & PortName ModelSht = "Model Data - " & PortName HoldingsSht = "Holdings - " & PortName Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Worksheets(ModelSht).Range("A9") Range...

"too many fields defined" error
I am trying to add a field to my table and keep getting an error message "too many fields defined" and it will not let me add the new field. Does anyone know what I have done to get this error and how I can fix it so I can add fields to my database? How many fields do you have in your table? The maximum number for a single table is 255. Note: it's rare that you would need more than 30 fields in a table if you've properly normalized your table structure. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Rachel" <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Value of cell Defines Range
Hello, I am trying to set a picture to a range of cells which I can do by setting the picture to a range like =$A$1:$C$5. My problem is that the range can change anytime. It will always start in $A$1 and end in column $C but the row for column $C can vary. I know what row column $C should be but I cannot not change the range automatically but have to do it manually. I can put the value for the row in column $C in a cell like D1 but I cannot think of a way to put that in the range automatically (See Example below). Any ideas? Example Range is =$A$1:$C$?. D1 contains the value of 8. So I want ...

Out of context error in user defined function
Apologies to anyone who has already read this in Functions. I realised after a few daysa of no response that I had posted in the wrong stream. Excel 2007 query Error received in VBA window (Debug) = <Out of Context> Error on Spreadsheet = #VALUE# I have 'formatted' this function in much the same way as my twenty or more other functions in this spreadsheet, yet I end up with Out of Context. I have tried various approaches including an 'On Calculate' called sub-routine, but all to no avail. The code for the function is stored in Module1 of an xlam, w...

User-Defined Type Not Defined
Seemingly all of a sudden I get the message User-Defined Type Not Defined every time I enter data into any spreadsheet cell. I do not use VB or macros or anything fancy. I don't remember hitting an odd key or ending up in an odd area of Excel. I tried opening a new spreadsheet and the problem persists. I use Excel 2002. How can I stop this from happening? Thank you. -- lg Do you have any add-ins loaded? If so, it is probably an add-in misbehaving. Go in to the VBA Editor, and for each project listed in the Project Explorer (CTRL+R to view it), go to the Tools menu and choose...

Event ID 12002 error occured while processing message
Hi, Have just upgraded to Exchange 2003 from 2000 last weekend and now am getting error 12002 800804DE against MSExchangeIS The message says error occured while processing message from (email address). All the Microsoft articles I read refer to Exchange 2000 not 2003 any help appreciated. This has happened about 5-6 times in the last week. We have no virus software installed on the Server. I made sure of that before doing the upgrade so that no issues would arise. Do we need to do anything about these messages thanks -- Kath ...

x-axis with both months and years
I would like to make a bar chart to cover monthly values for a span of many years. But how do I include both the month and the year on the axis labels? Is it possible to have major axis ticks labelling each year, and minor ones labelling each month? Also, I'd like to make one chart that would print out on many sheets, each containing a few years' data. Any help will be appreciated! I'm sure your post makes very good sense to you, but I am rather lost. Maybe, you can share a sample of the data and how you would like it to look on the chart. And, as far as the 2nd parag...

active X #2
Hey, I've recently started using c++ .net and need to install CMScomm activeX controller (Microsoft communication controller). I've created a standard mfc project in .net but when I try to add the controller I cant locate it (Resouce view -> Dialog -> IDD_Test_Dialog -> right click on dialog -> click 'Insert ActiveX control but I cant find it in the list). Do I need to install some additional software or am I doing something wrong ? Would appreciate any help. Cheers. "earl" <b@email.com> wrote in message news:400db3a2@news.broadpark.no... > Hey,...

importing leads, branches defined but won't show in the conversion table
Hi all, I'm trying to import loads of leads but am having some difficulty getting all the information in CRM 1.2 that I want. We wish to import a branch discription ("industrycode" ? / we use the Dutch version) but if I add values to this record they don't show up when I use the lead-import wizard. I can only select the original values that where there from the get go. Anyone any Ideas?? rgds Patrick you need to publish your changes through deployment manager and then do an IISRESET to restart the web server service "Haas" <p.haasewinkel@ecostar.nl> w...

Event ID 8331 #5
When i search Google for "event ID 8331", the hits are full When i search Newsgroups, the hits are full But no solutions Where is the right solution ! Thanks ...

Y- AXIS LABEL IS TRUNCATED in EXCEL CHART ?
Hi @ all I am using the chart in Excel But My Y axis value is truncated by last two charaters, i want to display my y-axis Label i follow the article ID : 870698 still is not fixed is there any way i can find the solution for this Thanks ...

Add custom User Defined Function to Report Writer report
Is it possible to do this? I have created a UDF in SQL2005 that returns the value that I want to bring onto a report in GP10's RW. Thanks Les ok.. I think I have learnt since posting that the UDF is a dexterity UDF, not a SQL UDF that Report Writer can reference. If so, forget it.. I'll use a Crystal Report or SQL RS report. Tx Les "LesWright" wrote: > Is it possible to do this? > > I have created a UDF in SQL2005 that returns the value that I want to bring > onto a report in GP10's RW. > > Thanks > > Les You could use VBA to call y...

Defining a name
Whats up everyone. Can I have a table array that is dynamic based on a input sheet. For example I have a lookup table that =VLOOKUP(Reference!$E6,CompanyDataQ3,Reference!$F6,FALSE) I would like CompanyDataQ3 to change based on the input sheet. On the input sheet I have Quarter so if quarter on the input sheet is Q3 the lookup table will have =VLOOKUP(Reference!$E6,CompanyDataQ3,Reference!$F6,FALSE) if the quarter on the input sheet is Q4 than the lookup table will hav =VLOOKUP(Reference!$E6,CompanyDataQ4,Reference!$F6,FALSE) Please let me know if this is possible and how to best a...