Date axes in Excel 2003 and 2007

In Excel 2003 it was possible to specify the range of a date axis simply by
entering the minmum and maximum as dates (e.g. "1 jan 2008").

In 2007 the  "format axis"-> "axis options" dialog simply ignores minimum
and maximum values entered as date.  You have to convert the date to a number
manually (i.e. 39448) before specifying minimum and maximum values.

Is there any other way to do it in 2007 ?

And why was the very handy 2003 behaviour removed in 2007 ?

Morten

You'll have noticed other shortcomings in Excel 2007's charting
functionality and user interface. I believe these issues stem from (a)
Office 2007 being hurried into production, (b) designers and coders of the
new charting mechanism not being completely familiar with the old mechanism,
thus not saving best practices from it.

I reported this long ago as a bug, and we'll see if it's corrected in Office
14.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Morten Hvidberg-Knudsen" <MortenHvidbergKnudsen@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:4CC68143-C893-4CB7-8467-1CC2C04FC695@microsoft.com...
> In Excel 2003 it was possible to specify the range of a date axis simply
> by
> entering the minmum and maximum as dates (e.g. "1 jan 2008").
>
> In 2007 the  "format axis"-> "axis options" dialog simply ignores minimum
> and maximum values entered as date.  You have to convert the date to a
> number
> manually (i.e. 39448) before specifying minimum and maximum values.
>
> Is there any other way to do it in 2007 ?
>
> And why was the very handy 2003 behaviour removed in 2007 ?
>
> Morten

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/14/2008 2:09:57 PM
Yes I am new to 2007 and I am struggling with the new (and, admiited, nicer)
look and feel.

But apart from the look and feel, are the any improvements in 2007 (do you
have a link?)  (i.e: is the struggle worth while ?)

From my point of view the has been no major improvements in Excel since
Excel95 (apart from the ability to handle more rows). Reflecting of course
that original object oriented Excel was incredibly well designed, but anyhow.

But the ActiveX / VBA technology is now being considered outdated by some
parts of Microsoft. Is Microsoft considering to redo Excel as .NET calsses
(instead of ActiveX objects?)

Regards

Morten

wrote:

> But apart from the look and feel, are the any improvements in 2007 (do you
> have a link?)  (i.e: is the struggle worth while ?)

IMO the improvements are too few and far between to make up for the
labyrinthine user interface and related deterioration in productivity. And
BTW, I don't really think the look and feel is an improvement for most
experienced users. Excel 2003 is still my version of choice for my "real
work". I have clients spread over the spectrum from 2000 (small declining
numbers) through 2007 (small but rapidly increasing numbers). Most of my
work in 2007 involves upgrading custom menus and toolbars into custom Ribbon
interface elements, and fixing code that's broken in 2007. Most code that
breaks in 2007 seems more related to earlier versions being more tolerant of
poor programming practices than actual problems with 2007.

> From my point of view the has been no major improvements in Excel since
> Excel95 (apart from the ability to handle more rows). Reflecting of course
> that original object oriented Excel was incredibly well designed, but
> anyhow.

There's something to be said for incremental improvement. Excel 97 was a big
improvement over 95 with its larger grid and enhanced VBA. 2000 made further
improvements including an upgrade to VBA and the introduction of pivot
charts. 2002 saw several enhancements to pivot tables and to some chart
options (data label options come to mind, but I think there were more). 2003
saw the introduction of a killer feature, the worksheet data List (which has
blossomed in 2007 into the Table). All of these versions saw improved
stability over prior versions.

Excel 2007 made some step changes, some of which being big improvements,
some big disappointments. I try to like it, I've been using it in various
beta and even pre-beta forms since 2005. But the fact is, my productivity
greatly affects my satisfaction with a software package, and any negative
changes in a new version will strongly reduce my satisfaction.

> But the ActiveX / VBA technology is now being considered outdated by some
> parts of Microsoft. Is Microsoft considering to redo Excel as .NET calsses
> (instead of ActiveX objects?)

They reassure us that VBA will remain a strong component of Excel for
several more versions (and look how long XLM has remained viable). I think
rather than try to rewrite Excel from the ground floor, Microsoft will
probably rely on better implementation of the PIAs and expansion of VSTO. I
have no special knowledge of their strategy, I am just responding based on
what little I know and on what sense I make out of what I see.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/14/2008 3:47:17 PM
Sorry to bother you with all my questions. Feel free to ignore.

Are there any changes  in 2007 (positive or otherwise) with respects to
array functions (either native or those written in VBA)?
I like the feature a lot (for many reasons) but there was not a lot support
in using them in 2003 (e.g. no easy way of determining the size of the output
range they require, and no warning if the guess was too small)

Morten

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> [...]
> beta and even pre-beta forms since 2005. But the fact is, my productivity
> greatly affects my satisfaction with a software package, and any negative
> changes in a new version will strongly reduce my satisfaction.
>
> > But the ActiveX / VBA technology is now being considered outdated by some
> > parts of Microsoft. Is Microsoft considering to redo Excel as .NET calsses
> > (instead of ActiveX objects?)
>
> They reassure us that VBA will remain a strong component of Excel for
> several more versions (and look how long XLM has remained viable). I think
> rather than try to rewrite Excel from the ground floor, Microsoft will
> probably rely on better implementation of the PIAs and expansion of VSTO. I
> have no special knowledge of their strategy, I am just responding based on
> what little I know and on what sense I make out of what I see.

Do you mean functions like LINEST and also UDFs? As far as I know, the user
still must make a guess. If I am not sure the output size, and I don't care
what it looks like, I'll select a range I know is more than adequate, and
the extra rows and columns are simply filled with #N/A.

- Jon
-------

wrote in message news:7AC3D923-8FA5-432C-8612-09B234418770@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> greatly affects my satisfaction with a software package, and any negative
>> changes in a new version will strongly reduce my satisfaction.
>>
>> > But the ActiveX / VBA technology is now being considered outdated by
>> > some
>> > parts of Microsoft. Is Microsoft considering to redo Excel as .NET
>> > calsses
>> > (instead of ActiveX objects?)
>>
>> They reassure us that VBA will remain a strong component of Excel for
>> several more versions (and look how long XLM has remained viable). I
>> think
>> rather than try to rewrite Excel from the ground floor, Microsoft will
>> probably rely on better implementation of the PIAs and expansion of VSTO.
>> have no special knowledge of their strategy, I am just responding based
>> on
>> what little I know and on what sense I make out of what I see.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Excel 2002 print problem
Excel 2002 rearanges cells and rows when iI print deos any one know why and how to fix it these are spread sheets created in other computers I am using a tablet pc ...

filter by date and action

How do I reposition a column on an excel spreadsheet
I want to move column J with data over to become column B. How to do this? Select Col J. Right click>Cut Select ColB. Right click>Insert Cut Cells -- Jacob "JonesALewis" wrote: > I want to move column J with data over to become column B. How to do this? Jacob's was is a good way of doing it. Here is another. Highlight the column. Hold down the Shift Key and Drag it to column B and Drop it. Note that when you are holding the shift key and drag you get an I Beam to indicate where you are about to drop the row. If you do not hold down the Shift key...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Post Dated Checks

Automation Excel too slow..
I like to get some help from Excel-automation-experienced guys: I started from article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186122/ which shows how to open, read some contents, close excel file in MFC. I copied codes from article and pasted to OnInitDialog() with slight modification. Every time I click button, it opens, reads, displays Excel file contents in poped-up dialog, then when OK button clicked, it closes Excel file and application. It seems works and I have two problems here(I am using VC++6.0, win2000, excel 2000): 1. Too slow.. about 8 seconds after button clicked, 'Server Busy'...

Help with an Excel formula
Hey, wondering if anyone can help me with a formula i need it to recognise that if the answer is negative it needs to be red. I think i need an if/then statement but do not know how?? Eg say the formula was just simply = F15-G15 then i need something to say if this anwer is negative then highlight red any help would be great thanks Create a custom format. Right click on the cell, choose Format Cells... On the Number tab, choose Custom. Try one of the formats with [Red] in it. If you like it, great. If not, you can create your own format. The rule is anythi...

Outlook 2007 ~ no longer working with my ISP
I was able to send/receive emails for my ISP (Optonline) from Oct through Dec 2007. I have Outlook 2007 and Windows Vista. I have followed the ISP instructions repeatedly and have spent quite a bit of time with the ISP help desk. They are not able to determine the reason why I can no longer access my account through Outlook 2007. I was refered to Microsoft for additional troubleshooting. Do you have any suggestions for me? Usually if you select the option to Test accounts there will be some err. msgs "Ani Nazlican" <AniNazlican@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

edit Excel template
I have an existing template that was passed down to me from the previous person working my job. My problem is that I need to modify it. How do I do this? One of the items I want to be able to do is to automatically insert blank rows, and I have no idea how to accomplish this. Any ideas? 1) Copy the .xlt file (so you retain the original as backup) 2) Rename the file extension .xls 3) Make your changes 4) Save As YourFileName.xlt How you insert your row depends what problem you need to solve. Some examples follow. This is a recorded macro that always selects row 3 and inserts a row: Su...

Correcting Info in 2003 Outlook Startup Wizard
I put the wrong info into my Outlook Startup Wizard, and now it won't work - and I can't figure out how to get in to correct the info, since Outlook just shuts down on me. I have Outlook 2003, which was installed in my laptop when I got it in 2003. I have never needed to use it till now. Many thanks for any help you can give me! Make a new profile. See http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/profile/profile.htm - the method is very similar in outlook 2003. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www...

Embedded Excel Objects in Word convert to pictures

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

Is there an interpolation-function in Excel to read a chart more .
Your question appears to be incomplete. It is usually best to elaborate in the body of your post. The worksheet functions FORECAST(), TREND(), and GROWTH() can be used to interpolate linear, multiple linear (including polynomial) and exponential regressions. Jerry ...

Excel price history import...
Hello, I have Money 2004 Deluxe and an excel file with a mutual fund price history. Is there a way to import the price history straight from the excel file avoiding manual imput??? (online update doesn't work because the mutual fund I'm dealing with is not available) Thanks, Lionel Modi ...

Excel puts a 1 at the end of my filename
Whenever I open any Excel file, Excel automatically puts a 1 at the end of the filename. So for instance I'm trying to open xxx.xls I get xxx1.xls. And I have noticed that since this started happening I only get the "save as" option when I go to save the file. What could be causing this? Are you sure the filename includes the .xls extension? If it really doesn't, how are you opening the workbook? If the name of the file is: xxx.XLT (with a T), then the file is a template file. If you are opening a *.xlt file in windows explorer, then windows figures that you want to...

Sharing my Safe Senders list in Outlook 2003
I have one computer with multiple logins (accounts) and use Outlook 2003 for my email. I use the same outlook.pst file with all of the users. I’ve had this configuration for years and it works great for me. Now I want to use the Safe Senders and Blocked Senders list for all of the uses on my computer. Unfortunately, it appears that each user has their own Safe Sender and Blocked Sender list. I want to share each list for each user, but can’t figure out how to do it. "joe002" <joe002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:670BF115-79C7-4180-931D-B5642B...

how do i add a logo to an excel 2003 invoice template?
In Office 2000 you were able to add a logo in the left upper corner of an invoice when customizing. In Office 2003 it seems that you cannot. PLEASE HELP! Thank You I don't know what special facility Office 2000 had, but can't you just paste a bitmap onto the Excel cell? - DH ...

if statement with dates #2

Deleting a middle name in Exchange 2003 on a mailbox
To and From fields appear with middle name even after correcting the display name in AD. I read something about a tool called ADmodify which might be able to complete this function. Has anyone ever used this? Can it do more than just switch the firstname and lastname? In news:1127409934.236526.73620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, edolton <Eric.Dolton@gmail.com> typed: > To and From fields appear with middle name even after correcting the > display name in AD. I read something about a tool called ADmodify > which might be able to complete this function. Has anyone ever used...

Counting Dates?

Reinstalling Office 2007
I had an illegal copy of MS Office 2007. I purchased a legal copy and when I try to install it, I get an error message indicating that the program I am trying to replace is more recent than the one I'm trying to install. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the ...