data labels not linked to data source

I have a chart that displays two numbers in a stacked bar chart... but
the data labels are integers, which the source data is.

I want the data labels to display the percentage that source column A
is of B...

For example the source data is A1: 5, B1: 10, and the chart displays
the data label as 5 and 10 respectively.

I want the data label to show 50% (A1/B1) instead.

How can I do that?

---

You can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to add the labels. It's a free
add-in that you can download from his web site:

    http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/17/2004 10:43:31 PM
You don't need to install an addin to do this -- it's
easy to do just with Excel. I'm emailing you a sample
workbook to demonstrate these steps:

1. Create the % calculations as another column on your
data worksheet (if you don't want it to appear on your
worksheet, you can hide the column after the chart is
setup).

Then, select the first individual data label that you
want to display the percentage (to do that, select the
series of data labels and then click once on the
individual label to select only that one).

Don't click into the data label, but with it selected,
click into the formula bar and type the equal sign,
followed by the cell reference containing the percentage
you need (once you type the equal sign, you can also
browse to and select the data cell instead of typing it
in). Then, press Enter to set. The data label will be
dynamically linked to that percentage, which is
calculated from your actual data.

If your chart is very large (that is, if there are too
many data labels to do this in a reasonable period of
time) or if its something you do frequently -- you can
automate this in VBA pretty easily. Let me know if that
info would be useful.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie Krieger
author of Microsoft Office Document Designer
email: MODD_2003@msn.com
blog: arouet.net

0
MODD_2003 (4)
8/18/2004 12:19:44 AM
In article <7ffa01c484b9$10271730$a401280a@phx.gbl>, MODD_2003@msn.com
says...
> You don't need to install an addin to do this -- it's

{snip}

> time) or if its something you do frequently -- you can
> automate this in VBA pretty easily. Let me know if that
> info would be useful.

And, reinventing the wheel in VBA is preferable to using an add-in
because...

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <7ffa01c484b9$10271730$a401280a@phx.gbl>, MODD_2003@msn.com
says...
> You don't need to install an addin to do this -- it's
> easy to do just with Excel. I'm emailing you a sample
> workbook to demonstrate these steps:
>
> 1. Create the % calculations as another column on your
> data worksheet (if you don't want it to appear on your
> worksheet, you can hide the column after the chart is
> setup).
>
> Then, select the first individual data label that you
> want to display the percentage (to do that, select the
> series of data labels and then click once on the
> individual label to select only that one).
>
> Don't click into the data label, but with it selected,
> click into the formula bar and type the equal sign,
> followed by the cell reference containing the percentage
> you need (once you type the equal sign, you can also
> browse to and select the data cell instead of typing it
> in). Then, press Enter to set. The data label will be
> dynamically linked to that percentage, which is
> calculated from your actual data.
>
> If your chart is very large (that is, if there are too
> many data labels to do this in a reasonable period of
> time) or if its something you do frequently -- you can
> automate this in VBA pretty easily. Let me know if that
> info would be useful.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Stephanie Krieger
> author of Microsoft Office Document Designer
> email: MODD_2003@msn.com
> blog: arouet.net

Doesn't require reinventing the wheel at all. The steps I
provided, as you saw, were very fast and simple in the
UI. However, if it is something you do frequently, you
can automate the process with very simple VBA. I wouldn't
consider a short macro to be reinventing anything -- and
you only need to even take that step if you want to
automate what's already a fast and easy task.

Stephanie

0
MODD_2003 (4)
8/18/2004 4:47:24 PM
Hi Tushar ... I should have added this originally. Feel
free to drop me an email if you would like a copy of the
native Excel solution that I sent to the person who
originally posted the request.

Stephanie

0
MODD_2003 (4)
8/18/2004 5:12:46 PM
Stephanie -

What Tushar was getting at is that several free addins are available on
the web to automate this process very nicely. Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler
(http://appspro.com) is one of the most widely used, and it has some
nice features. It allows you to specify a range which has data labels
for the entire series, and it makes sure that the range has as many
cells as the series has points. Second, it doesn't put the text into the
data labels, it links the labels to the cells so the labels update as
the cells change. Third, it copies the cell formats onto the data label
formats. Fourth, it incorporates the positions of the labels right in
the initial dialog. Finally, it allows you to move a series of labels,
or just a single label, with little arrow buttons, which allows much
finer control than is possible with the mouse.

The code to apply data labels to points is widely available:

   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q161513

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Stephanie Krieger wrote:
> Hi Tushar ... I should have added this originally. Feel
> free to drop me an email if you would like a copy of the
> native Excel solution that I sent to the person who
> originally posted the request.
>
> Stephanie

Thank you for that offer.  I've had a web page about using that method
for a data label and a chart title for several years now.  It is also
very effective when used with a text box inserted into a chart.

Dynamic Chart Title
http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_chart_title/index.html

As far as 'simple VBA' goes, we will have to disagree.  My Hover Chart
Labels add-in (http://www.tushar-
mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html) has a bare-bones
capability to create dynamic labels.  Just the userform related code is
over 120 lines -- and that is in my particular style of writing compact
code.  True, the rest of the code -- sans the goodies of a more
sophisticated add-in -- is short.  It's about 20 lines.  But in any
general purpose utility, 80-90% of the code is invariably associated
with the UI, so that should not be a surprise.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <8a3d01c48546$94e643a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>, MODD_2003@msn.com
says...
> Hi Tushar ... I should have added this originally. Feel
> free to drop me an email if you would like a copy of the
> native Excel solution that I sent to the person who
> originally posted the request.
>
> Stephanie

Thanks, Jon -- I appreciate the detail on that addin.

Certainly sounds like a nice tool -- I just think its
usually simpler and faster to let the application do what
it can do well on its own. The one thing the addin does,
as you described, that you can't automatically do in the
user interface is specify the full data series at once
when linking the labels to a custom source -- that's
nice -- it's the thing I'd write a macro to do ... which
is personal preference, I think, unless the addin offers
additional perks you can't accomplish in the standard UI.
(As you saw in the steps I provided, and I'm sure you
know, it's super easy to link the labels to a custom
source that updates, and carries over the number format
(that last part is Excel default behavior for any linked
text boxes or labels) right on the chart itself with no
addins or code).

I'm curious to see if it offers other options (like more
flexible scatter\bubble chart labeling than you can
automatically do in the UI). I'll check it out. Always
nice to discover new things.

Thanks again for the info.

Stephanie

0
MODD_2003 (4)

horizontal data to vertical data

export public folder data?

storing read only data

How to organize data?

How to e-mail link to shared folder
Hello all, I'm not having much luck with this one. I've researched this on Google and have come up dry other than this one http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=158135. We've just migrated to Exchange/Outlook 2003 from Lotus Notes and am looking for a way to send an e-mail message that contains a link/hyperlink to a particular post under a shared folder. We frequently produce "How to" articles and e-mail a link to all users to notify them of the new info. In Lotus Notes we'd just add a link/hyperlink in the e-mail message that users could click on to bring them direc...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

data file: how to start its application

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Pie Chart from data
Hi, I am trying to create a pie chart from the below data just to show the percentages of what work orders are maj, med and min. How do I set this up!! Thanks in Advance!!! how can i create a pie char By following the directions within the Chart Wizard. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9265C290-B0B6-4CAD-B909-5EDFCE7DC415@microsoft.com>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can i create a pie chart > > ...

changing data
Please can someone tell me how to do an automatic change all the way down a column. For example, i have a list of applications throughout a spreasheet as follows Approach, Eurosys, Oscar, Pivot_Pro Pivot_Pro, Oscar, Approach, i need to change exery occurance of Pivot_Pro to Pivot (Dual) how will i do this please help? Hi Press <Ctrl><H> In the find box, type in the existing name, in the change to box, type the new name, click on Change All, and its done -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "danzelindistress" wrote: &...

Varying data ranges
Hi, I am preparing a large number of identical reports on Excel fro imported data of varying sizes (e.g. some imported data is 400 row long, some 600, but all have the same number of columns). I hav recorded macros to take the data from its raw form to its complete form in order to releive the repetitive nature of this process, howeve the macro does not take into account the varying sizes of the raw data even when I use the Ctrl+Shft+End command. I am left with a lot o manual 'tidying up' of the reports after the macros have run. I have around 1,800 reports to complete so if ther...

Baffled by missing data on printout
I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main form. I then save all that data into a local table, then read it back from a report. The report loads the same subforms which reload the data. All that is working fine on screen, and on print preview. Then, when sent to a printer, all te text boxes are blank! What could *possibly* cause this? I switched printers, used a pdf output printer (save to disk in PDF), and with same results. Any ideas? Rick wrote: > I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main > form. I then save all t...

Data Filter
I am running excel 2003. I am needing to copy my out put to another location. I have the options checked : Copy to another location and my list range. However, in the copy to range it is listed " $j$4:$Q$4." I do know that my range is correct but how would I get the output data to be pasted in another locations. Once I click on OK the wrong information is outputted.. Thanks for your adivse. -- Nathan You should be able to select another range for the output. What happened when you tried to change it? Jessica@aol.com wrote: > I am running excel 2003. I am needing to copy ...

Validation in Data/Form
Is there any validation function for user when they input data throught Data/Form which was created default by excel?? Hi have you tried 'Data - Validation'. If this does not work you have to create your own userform >-----Original Message----- >Is there any validation function for user when they input data throught >Data/Form which was created default by excel?? > > >. > Data Validation only affects entries that are typed into a cell. You could try John Walkenbach's Enhanced Data Form. It's a free add-in that allows combo boxes, so it could display...

Notes Domino data to Exchange?
Notes Domino data to Exchange? I have a brand new Exchange 2003 server with no data, completely fresh. It is up and running fine. The client has an old Notes Domino 5.0.8 server with NSF databases all over it. We did NOT migrate anything, it is just a new Exchange server. Is there some way to get some of these NSF databases moved to this new Exchange server? (Thye are not part of the same Active Directory. I am wondering if there is a way to export these Notes mailboxes and databases to something that could get converted to a PST file or something and then get imported. Any ide...

Compare Data
Hello Everyone, I have the following problem. I have two different database on the same server, each one with a dif name of course, except they have the exact same tables and basically the same data. In some tables there are a few rows of data that are different from each other. For example, in the clients table (db1.table1.cl) the numeration started from 234 to 3734 but in the other database the clients table the numeration started from 0 to 3500. Note that they are the exact same clients and the exact amount of clients in each database clients table. The second database is a n...

Data File Not Closing Properly
This has undoubtedly been brought up before, but I can't find the thread. Why am I consistently getting a message that my data file didn't close properly and has to be rechecked when opening Outlook 2007? ...

AYS Link broken?
I am trying to find the link to the "AYS" file - the ones previously posted seem to be broken. Thanks for your help! http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3&SID=dfed6797436b881b7b3d59e73f4c83c1 -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "Terye N" <TeryeN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5F15B4F-7406-4A4C-BE38-92302C59DDC8@microsoft.com... > I am trying to find the link to the "AYS" file - the ones previously > posted > seem to be broken. Thanks for your help! ...