Custom charting - Stacked charting with a line

This may be difficult to explain but am going to try :)

I need to track "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs" by
month.  I also need to compare "Liaison Costs" to a
budget and generate the difference on the chart for the
given month, at the same time displaying a stacked bar
that shows the "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs".

For example:

                    Jan       Feb     Mar
Liaison Costs      15,000   16,000   9,000
Sorting Costs       6,000   15,000  11,000

Budget             15,000   15,000  15,000

So now I need to plot the charges for sorting and
liaisons as a stacked bar.  I also need to compare the
liaison costs vs the budget and display the difference.

I can display it so that the liaison costs are on the
bottom of the stack bar and then draw a line across the
months to represent the budget of 15000.  The part I am
stumped on is whether it would be possible to now display
the difference along the "line" that represents the
budget (or anywhere else on the chart for that matter).

Is this possible and if so, any direction is most
appreciated!
0
anonymous (74719)

Do you want to display a Chart Label with the difference, or another series
that represents the difference?

"Randy Lefferts" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This may be difficult to explain but am going to try :)
>
> I need to track "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs" by
> month.  I also need to compare "Liaison Costs" to a
> budget and generate the difference on the chart for the
> given month, at the same time displaying a stacked bar
> that shows the "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs".
>
> For example:
>
>                    Jan       Feb     Mar
> Liaison Costs      15,000   16,000   9,000
> Sorting Costs       6,000   15,000  11,000
>
> Budget             15,000   15,000  15,000
>
> So now I need to plot the charges for sorting and
> liaisons as a stacked bar.  I also need to compare the
> liaison costs vs the budget and display the difference.
>
> I can display it so that the liaison costs are on the
> bottom of the stack bar and then draw a line across the
> months to represent the budget of 15000.  The part I am
> stumped on is whether it would be possible to now display
> the difference along the "line" that represents the
> budget (or anywhere else on the chart for that matter).
>
> Is this possible and if so, any direction is most
> appreciated!

0
reply6075 (299)
3/2/2005 7:29:42 PM
Preferably, I would like to see the difference displayed
at the top of the bottom half of the stack bar.  So
with "Sorting Costs" the top bar and the "Liaison Costs"
as the bottom bar, I would like to see the difference at
the top (or thereabouts) of the "Liaison Costs" bar,
which will be the bottom half of the stack bar.

Considering that we will be dealing in units of 1000's,
the difference between the budget and actual Liaison
Costs is going to be "mostly" in the "100's", in either
direction.  Plotting them as an independent series would
sort of have them "lost" as the numbers would place them
at the bottom of the list.  However, if this could have a
separate axis that could be "set" so that the budget
(around 16k) would be around the 0 mark in the difference
series, that could work.  Since it would plot the
difference around the baseline of 16k, it would position
the labels at about exactly the area I need it to.

I do know that I can manually just add text boxes and
plug in the values on a monthly basis but if this could
be automated it would make it much more likely to have
less errors from the end user.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing.

Thank you for your reply :)

wrote in message
>> This may be difficult to explain but am going to try :)
>>
>> I need to track "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs" by
>> month.  I also need to compare "Liaison Costs" to a
>> budget and generate the difference on the chart for the
>> given month, at the same time displaying a stacked bar
>> that shows the "Liaison Costs" and "Sorting Costs".
>>
>> For example:
>>
>>                    Jan       Feb     Mar
>> Liaison Costs      15,000   16,000   9,000
>> Sorting Costs       6,000   15,000  11,000
>>
>> Budget             15,000   15,000  15,000
>>
>> So now I need to plot the charges for sorting and
>> liaisons as a stacked bar.  I also need to compare the
>> liaison costs vs the budget and display the difference.
>>
>> I can display it so that the liaison costs are on the
>> bottom of the stack bar and then draw a line across the
>> months to represent the budget of 15000.  The part I am
>> stumped on is whether it would be possible to now
display
>> the difference along the "line" that represents the
>> budget (or anywhere else on the chart for that matter).
>>
>> Is this possible and if so, any direction is most
>> appreciated!
>

>.

0
anonymous (74719)
3/2/2005 9:04:55 PM
Randy -

Stacking Liaison and Sorting is going to complicate things, so I'll describe how I'd
do just the liaison/budget piece of it.

I'd have actual liaison values in column B and budget in column C. Column D would
use formulas that insert the minimum of B and C. Column E would contain formulas
that show the minimum of 0 (zero) or C minus B (and therefore it fills from the
actual liaison amount up to the budget, and is a negative variance). Column F has
the minimum of 0 or B minus C (so it shows how much the actual liaison exceeded the
budget). I'd make a stacked column chart with column D in blue, column E in green
(i.e., unspent budget), and column F in red (overspent). I'd leave off the line
series for budget.

The sorting values complicate things. If your liaison actuals were >= the budget,
you could simply stack it on top, and there's no misunderstanding. If your liaison
actuals are < budget, do you decrease the sorting values by the amount not spent, so
the total is accurate? How does the reader know that sorting includes this reduced
amount plus the unspent amount?

You can address this by using two charts, one showing just the liaison/budget, as I
described above, then the other showing just the liaison/sorting values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

> Preferably, I would like to see the difference displayed
> at the top of the bottom half of the stack bar.  So
> with "Sorting Costs" the top bar and the "Liaison Costs"
> as the bottom bar, I would like to see the difference at
> the top (or thereabouts) of the "Liaison Costs" bar,
> which will be the bottom half of the stack bar.
>
> Considering that we will be dealing in units of 1000's,
> the difference between the budget and actual Liaison
> Costs is going to be "mostly" in the "100's", in either
> direction.  Plotting them as an independent series would
> sort of have them "lost" as the numbers would place them
> at the bottom of the list.  However, if this could have a
> separate axis that could be "set" so that the budget
> (around 16k) would be around the 0 mark in the difference
> series, that could work.  Since it would plot the
> difference around the baseline of 16k, it would position
> the labels at about exactly the area I need it to.
>
> I do know that I can manually just add text boxes and
> plug in the values on a monthly basis but if this could
> be automated it would make it much more likely to have
> less errors from the end user.
>
> Hopefully this isn't too confusing.
>
> Thank you for your reply :)

Custom Entity Relationship CRM 3.0

Custom toolbar and macros

toolbar customization

Can a Vlookup be used when creating a chart
1. Is it possible? 2. where would it be entered? the values line? 1. Probably 2. Not enough detail to provide even a guess. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:23:02 -0800, Confusicous <Confusicous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >1. Is it possible? >2. where would it be entered? the values line? Here is my data: 2010 spreadsheet = Entities = A18:A45 Numbers = N18:N45 2009 spreadsheet= Entities A18:A41 Numbers = N18:N41 The reason I would like to have the Vlookup is because new data was entered in 2010 but if I just enter the ...

Error 6 line of code?
Folks I came across the following line of code which errors out. If lrc <> ERROR_NONE Then Error 5 You can see examples of this code in MS KB articles. For example http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210860 This compiles but at execution time causes an error. Now this isn't a big deal as the code is going to drop out of the routine anyhow. But I'm curious. What is the Error 5 supposed to be doing? Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msm...

Customize Does not WOrk

Column Chart with multiple vertical axis
I tried building a chart that displays 1 series in dollar sales and 1 series in unit sales. I tried putting one on a secondary axis, but it always overlaps the columns and changing the series overlap setting doesn't seem to have any effect? Does any one know what is going on and how I can separate columns on separate axis? Thanks, Jamie You need to add a couple dummy series to help align the visible series: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://...

How to display HTML in Custom Task Pane

XY Scatter with Custom Labels

Customer Report

How to customize column width in Ressource Usage report ?
Hi, When printing the Workload, Ressource Usage report, some of the durations are stated as #####.##. I tried to make the font smaller but it did'ent help. How do I make the report readable? I am using MS Project 2007 SP2. Br Bertrand If you goto Reports, Custom you can see all of the built-in reports and you can see what they are made of and you will see that they use a filter and a table (and other settings and stuff). The column width of each field is a property of the table. Find the report that you are interested in, then find the table that it uses, then e...

Animated bar Charts
Anyone know how to take a simple bar chart, with say a value of 10 and through the press of a button have it animate and shrink in size down to 5 for example. In other words, I have tons of bars in a "before" case and also an "after" case and I want a macro or code to show the transition between those two. Any Ideas? -- gsimmons2005 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gsimmons2005's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26385 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=...

Custom X-axis

GPS Customization Query

change local customer to global customer
I am trying to change the local customers that i have in my store database to global customers in hq I ran this querie in store administrator UPDATE Customer SET GlobalCustomer = 1 Then ran worksheet 401 in hq, but the customers did not update, then worksheet 350. Can someone help? Had the same issue ... this worked for me - need to set globalcustomer = 1; need to set lastupdated = getdate(*); need to set storeid = 'xxxx' (whatever is appropriate for you). Go into SO Manager and configure ENABLE GLOBAL CUSTOMERS and NEW CUSTOMERS DEFAULT AS GLOBAL. Need to run 401 TWICE (once...

How do I create a sales funnel graph/chart with Excel?
CharlesJ - It might help if you describe the kind of chart you want (and the data upon which it is based). A Google search for "sales funnel chart" yields approx. 125,000 results. Some examples seem to be quantitative (with what some chart gurus might regard as unnecessary deception using length and areas), and some seem to be merely line diagrams, not based on numerical data. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com CharlesJ - It might help if you describe the kind of chart you want (and the data upon which it is based). A Google search for "sales funnel chart" yiel...

customize public folder
Hi, I have exchange server 2003, on a windows 2003 server environment. 1) I want to remove or hide the "favorites" folder under the public folder tree? 2) May I not to use the existing public folder tree structure? Public folder --> All Public folders --> (Company contacts) Public folder --> (Company contacts) Thanks, On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:32:25 +0800, "Classmate" <NoEmailAddress@abc.com.hk> wrote: >Hi, > > > > I have exchange server 2003, on a windows 2003 server environment. > > > >1)...

Problem with Powerpoint Chart with RDP /span
I used RDP Session with /span with 2 monitors. When open PowerPoint 2003, insert a chart, click off (i.e. deselect) the chart, font compresses horizontally and the font are not visible correctly. ...

Custom ActiveX control fails on release build
Some time ago I created simple custom control (.ocx) using Visual Basic 6. Recently I decided to also use my control in VC++ apps. VB: Using the ActiveX Control Interface Wizard and the Property Page Wizard I added the appropriate handlers and a simple property page to change the appearance, border, colors, and fonts. Nothing special there. VC: The control was installed and registered on the test machine through the installer and is located in the system folder. On the development machine the application runs fine and the new control works great. On the test machine the dialog box fail...

Draw lines not bright enough
Drawing lines on top of a well saturated color photo in OneNote does not produce bright lines. To my eye they should be Neon. See the results of Skitch overlays. Maybe with a slight shadow to get them to stand out. ...

Custom colors
I hope someone can help me out on this one please! I mixed a few new colors using RGB that I want applied to certain cells on a spreadsheet that will be shared among many users. The problem is, I noticed that setting RGB only changes the color pallette and if the user resets or changes their color pallette, then my colors are all reset on the spreadsheet (and they look bad!). Apparently its all linked by the color index? i.e. If the user changes their color index, that change updates the spreadsheet color. Is there is foolproof (or at least better) way of applying custom shading t...