Creating a chart with text not numbers

How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior,
senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)?

I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166
rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc.  I want to create a
bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes.

Thanks,

Alan
0
aj1152 (1)

First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category
labels.

Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"aj1152" <aj1152@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior,
> senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)?
>
> I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166
> rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc.  I want to create
> bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

create a roster

So many Tunnel Adapters
Hi, I understand that Tunnel Adapter LAN is for encapsulating IPv6 packets with an IPv4 header so that they can be sent across an IPv4 network. Few queries popped up in my mind based on this :- 1. Why is the numbering for the Tunnel adapter LAN not sequential ? It is like 6,7,12,13,14,15,16. A strange numbering scheme ?! I tried to figure it out by thinking of some arithmetic series. But, it does not seem to fit in. There is a huge gap between 7 and 12. Any ideas ? 2. What is the need for so many number of Tunnel Adapter LAN connection ? Can you tell me a scenario that re...

VBA Question
Hi, I have a form with a combobox control that list some sizes. They are: 12 18 20 22 I have another text box for keying a custom size, such as 12'2". What I would like to do is have the combobox default to the next size (in this case 18). Here's the code I have used so far (it does a little more than what I am asking for but to give an idea): Dim MCUST As String MCUST = Me.custwidth If Str(Me.widthck) <> Me.custwidth Or Len(Me.custwidth) <> Len(Me.widthck) Then Me.widthck.Value = Int(Val(MCUST)) + 1 If InStr(Int(Me.widthck) / 2, ".&...

Scale tab missing on chart format button. Urgent!
I clicked on the chart format button while formatting a chart and I am required to click on the scale tab to change the number of tick-mark labels and more. I know this is done by clicking on the scale tab but I just have the patterns, font and properties. Where is it and how can I fix this fast. Please help! MM - Did you miss the axis and actually double click on the chart area? That dialog has Patterns, Font, and Properties. I think it's the only chart element with a Properties tab. Does Patterns have Border and Area sub sections? It's not the format axis dialog you've o...

Reference to cell with text is returning #VALUE
I have a cell that references a different cell that that consists of H9:J9 that is formated for and contains text. The referenceing cell shows #VALUE instead of the actual text that is in the cell? Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated. What does your formula look like? A simple link formula can only reference a single cell. Like this: =H9 You can't reference a range of cells like this: =H9:J9 That is why you're getting the error. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jorist" <Jorist@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Task Create - Status

FLIPPING TEXT
HOW DO YOU FLIP THE TEXT FOR AN IRON ON TRANSFER TO PRINT CORRECTLY Can your printer do a mirror image? Might try WordArt. Select the text box, copy, paste special as a .wmf, flip... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MIA" <MIA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA27CE71-2642-4A76-850C-6EBE2AC31BB1@microsoft.com... > HOW DO YOU FLIP THE TEXT FOR AN IRON ON TRANSFER TO PRINT CORRECTLY On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:06:28 +0000, MIA wrote (in article <EA27CE71-2642-4A76-850C-6EBE2AC31BB1@mi...

chart on the report
I wanted to have a chart on my report base on my table or query. Are there any controls support this? Your help is great asppreciated, Click on the Query. choose Insert, Report. Choose Chart Wizard. If you want the report to be linked to a field in your report (eg a different sales chart for each employee) then you can make the chart a subreport, putting in the correct section of your report eg the Details section and in the Properties box of the subreport choose the Master and Child fields (the Unique field that the chart and the main report have in common - usually a primary key field) ...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

Continuous form record number
I have a form whose default view is 'continuous form'. Then when I click a button I need to delete the record where the mouse is (was just) placed. How can I find out the record number? Alternatively any idea is welcome. Thanks Henry "H. Martins" <hjrmartins@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b4ab14e1-51c6-4c16-8a78-bc7df76670de@k31g2000vbu.googlegroups.com... >I have a form whose default view is 'continuous form'. > > Then when I click a button I need to delete the record where the mouse > is (was just) placed. > > Ho...

Web query financial data into chart
Via a web query I import the Euro/Dollar exchange rate during e.g. 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm in a cell of an Excel sheet with a refresh rate of 1 minute. I like to plot this rate versus time over this period. How can I realize that? regards, Louis -- loconel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ loconel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33481 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=532821 You would have to use a macro to store the info on a sheet with a automatic defined name for the gra...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

Select items from list and show in text box
I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have them show in a text box (possibly with the aid of a select button). Could someone please explain to me how to do this as I have no idea about Visual Basic and macros don't work? Thanks in advance Jeanette You can create a dropdown list with data validation: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Or, create a combobox on a UserForm: http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm02.html rosscojet@tiscali.co.uk wrote: > I want to be able to select an items from a list I have setup and have > them show in a ...

How to create Access macro shortcut

excel should make it easier to have a 1 to 1 plot area in chart
Sometimes I would like the plot area to have a 1 to 1 ratio, so each little square of the gridlines are a square. ie, the y- axis could be 10, the x- axis could be 10, so the plot area would be square, or the y- axis could go from -10 to 10, with the same x- axis, so the plot area would have twice the y- axis than the x- axis. I think the way microsoft has this place worded is misleading, cause it says "Post your suggestion." I don't mean to put anyone off. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most ...

Next Check Number
Is there any way to set the number used for Next Check Number in a bank account register. My problem is that I use one checkbook at home and my wife and I each carry checkbooks. The checkbook at home, which I use most frequently, happens to have the lowest check numbers. As soon as I entered a check from one of the other books, Next Check Number keeps using that (the highest number so far) as the basis for Next Check Number and I have to manually enter almost all of my check numbers. (I recently switched from Quicken where the corresponding function always used the most recently en...

How do I not include empty cell value chart labels in pie charts?
I have a pie chart where some of the cell values are zero, but the chart will include all the labels. It makes the pie chart look too cluttered. How can I not include zero value or blank cell values from appearring in the labels. When I go to "tools", "options", and "chart", the "plot empty cells as" area is shaded grey and I can not select options. Hi, If it's just the data labels then try a custom number format. Here are a few examples. 0;;; 0%;;; 0.0%;;; If you want the zero items removed from the pie have a look at this. ...