create pivot table from external csv file

I am dumping huge data to csv file, Now what I want to do is, create pivot
table/chart from csv file without importing data into it. Reason behind
doing this  is, end user view updated report without messing with thier
limited excel knowledge.

Hi,

So what's your question?

If you're asking if it can be done, the answer is Yes.

If you're asking how to do it, the question is - what version of Excel are
you using?

For Example in 2003 you would choose Data, Pivot Table and Pivot Chart
Report, and choose External data source, Next, Get Data, choose New Data
Source and click OK.  Enter a name like myCSVData and open the second
dropdown.  Select Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt,*.csv), click Connect.
Uncheck Use Current Directory, and then choose Select Directory.  Find your
file and open it, you will be in a wizard, whose steps are fairly straight
forward.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Sunny" wrote:

> I am dumping huge data to csv file, Now what I want to do is, create pivot
> table/chart from csv file without importing data into it. Reason behind
> doing this  is, end user view updated report without messing with thier
> limited excel knowledge.

Sorry for not clear about my question.

I am using excel 2007 and I tried to follow your steps for excell 2003 but
there is no Get Data option. Can you please guide me for excel 2007? Would
that import data in excel or create link to csv? Do i have to do same
excercise every time I create new csv file?

Thanks for looking into it.

"Shane Devenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:58BCAD34-E69E-45D4-9B13-6426A586FF41@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> So what's your question?
>
> If you're asking if it can be done, the answer is Yes.
>
> If you're asking how to do it, the question is - what version of Excel are
> you using?
>
> For Example in 2003 you would choose Data, Pivot Table and Pivot Chart
> Report, and choose External data source, Next, Get Data, choose New Data
> Source and click OK.  Enter a name like myCSVData and open the second
> dropdown.  Select Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt,*.csv), click Connect.
> Uncheck Use Current Directory, and then choose Select Directory.  Find
> your
> file and open it, you will be in a wizard, whose steps are fairly straight
> forward.
>
> --
> If this helps, please click the Yes button
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Sunny" wrote:
>
>> I am dumping huge data to csv file, Now what I want to do is, create
>> pivot
>> table/chart from csv file without importing data into it. Reason behind
>> doing this  is, end user view updated report without messing with thier
>> limited excel knowledge.

Hi,

Sorry to take so long getting back to you, but I work and have a long commut.

In 2007, Press Alt D P  this will put you in the 2003 pivot table wizard.
choose the External Data Source option and proceed as described in my
previous email.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Sunny" wrote:

> Sorry for not clear about my question.
>
> I am using excel 2007 and I tried to follow your steps for excell 2003 but
> there is no Get Data option. Can you please guide me for excel 2007? Would
> that import data in excel or create link to csv? Do i have to do same
> excercise every time I create new csv file?
>
> Thanks for looking into it.
>
> "Shane Devenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:58BCAD34-E69E-45D4-9B13-6426A586FF41@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > So what's your question?
> >
> > If you're asking if it can be done, the answer is Yes.
> >
> > If you're asking how to do it, the question is - what version of Excel are
> > you using?
> >
> > For Example in 2003 you would choose Data, Pivot Table and Pivot Chart
> > Report, and choose External data source, Next, Get Data, choose New Data
> > Source and click OK.  Enter a name like myCSVData and open the second
> > dropdown.  Select Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt,*.csv), click Connect.
> > Uncheck Use Current Directory, and then choose Select Directory.  Find
> > your
> > file and open it, you will be in a wizard, whose steps are fairly straight
> > forward.
> >
> > --
> > If this helps, please click the Yes button
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Shane Devenshire
> >

> > "Sunny" wrote:
> >
> >> I am dumping huge data to csv file, Now what I want to do is, create
> >> pivot
> >> table/chart from csv file without importing data into it. Reason behind
> >> doing this  is, end user view updated report without messing with thier
> >> limited excel knowledge.

Hi Sunny

In Excel 2007>Data tab>Get External Data>From Other Source>from Microsoft
Query>
It then proceeds the same as XL2003
Text files>OK>Choose your CSV file>Select fields>Return Data>Pivot Table
Report

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Sunny" <sunny_1178@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for not clear about my question.
>
> I am using excel 2007 and I tried to follow your steps for excell 2003 but
> there is no Get Data option. Can you please guide me for excel 2007? Would
> that import data in excel or create link to csv? Do i have to do same
> excercise every time I create new csv file?
>
> Thanks for looking into it.
>
> "Shane Devenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:58BCAD34-E69E-45D4-9B13-6426A586FF41@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> So what's your question?
>>
>> If you're asking if it can be done, the answer is Yes.
>>
>> If you're asking how to do it, the question is - what version of Excel
>> are
>> you using?
>>
>> For Example in 2003 you would choose Data, Pivot Table and Pivot Chart
>> Report, and choose External data source, Next, Get Data, choose New Data
>> Source and click OK.  Enter a name like myCSVData and open the second
>> dropdown.  Select Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt,*.csv), click Connect.
>> Uncheck Use Current Directory, and then choose Select Directory.  Find
>> your
>> file and open it, you will be in a wizard, whose steps are fairly
>> straight
>> forward.
>>
>> --
>> If this helps, please click the Yes button
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Shane Devenshire
>>

>> "Sunny" wrote:
>>
>>> I am dumping huge data to csv file, Now what I want to do is, create
>>> pivot
>>> table/chart from csv file without importing data into it. Reason behind
>>> doing this  is, end user view updated report without messing with thier
>>> limited excel knowledge.

0
Roger
2/12/2009 8:14:38 AM
Shane and Roger,

Thanks you very much and it worked great. Although I have couple more
questions:

1. I notice file size is very big as my csv file. I assumes it imports data
and not link the data. Would that be possible to link it only.

2. Is there any way in pivot table to find unique count? Like I want total
sales amount along with total sales person involved in that sales. Total
sales can be grouped in Region/county and some other filter. If I use count
that shows # of sales in the group which is different from # of unique sales
person.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.
"Roger Govier" <roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk> wrote in message
> Hi Sunny
>
> In Excel 2007>Data tab>Get External Data>From Other Source>from Microsoft
> Query>
> It then proceeds the same as XL2003
> Text files>OK>Choose your CSV file>Select fields>Return Data>Pivot Table
> Report
>
> --
> Regards
> Roger Govier
>
> "Sunny" <sunny_1178@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry for not clear about my question.
>>
>> I am using excel 2007 and I tried to follow your steps for excell 2003
>> but there is no Get Data option. Can you please guide me for excel 2007?
>> Would that import data in excel or create link to csv? Do i have to do
>> same excercise every time I create new csv file?
>>
>> Thanks for looking into it.
>>
>> "Shane Devenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:58BCAD34-E69E-45D4-9B13-6426A586FF41@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> So what's your question?
>>>
>>> If you're asking if it can be done, the answer is Yes.
>>>
>>> If you're asking how to do it, the question is - what version of Excel
>>> are
>>> you using?
>>>
>>> For Example in 2003 you would choose Data, Pivot Table and Pivot Chart
>>> Report, and choose External data source, Next, Get Data, choose New Data
>>> Source and click OK.  Enter a name like myCSVData and open the second
>>> dropdown.  Select Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt,*.csv), click Connect.
>>> Uncheck Use Current Directory, and then choose Select Directory.  Find
>>> your
>>> file and open it, you will be in a wizard, whose steps are fairly
>>> straight
>>> forward.
>>>
>>> --
>>> If this helps, please click the Yes button
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Shane Devenshire

create a roster

Locating a downloaded file....
I am downloading a file from a website (Janome - sewing machine related) -- and it shows on the list of the downloads pop up window -- but I can't find it on my hard drive. How can I locate the file? It's not in the download folder. If I search for the file name - nothing comes up (I sure miss the old search process). I need to copy this file and move it to a flash drive -- in order to move it to an older laptop that no longer has Internet access - but runs my embroidery sewing machine. But I can't find the file. If I double click on the downloads pop-up -...

XLS file assocation issue
When I goto Associate a file type for a specific extension, it has it associated to Wordpad when it should be Excel. However, I am not able to change it as the "Always Use the selected program to open" is grayed out and I can't get it be selectable. How do I do it so I can associate the file type to always for Excel. Please advise. I wouldn't work with the associations to start. Instead, I'd let excel try to do it for me. Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserve...

Task Create - Status

2007 pst files
I just installed the 2007 update of Office. Everything installed fine, however I can't open Outlook. The error message says there are errors in my Personal Folders.pst. and to use Scanpst.exe to repair it. I can't find the file. I did a search and also looked in the Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder - it's not there. How do I get the file and will this work with 2007? Thanks jan it should be located at following.. drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12. -- Laura Rooke MVP - Mobile Devices wiersma7, you wrote on Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:49:20 ...

Bug with cell merging in tables using Applescript

Splitting one table into multiple tables/tabs
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me split a table into multiple tables or tabs. If I have a table of 20 customers with various transactions over time all in one table. I'd like to know if it's possible to seperate the table into multiple tables based on the change in customer number and have them broken into multiple tabs without manually creating each tab and then cut and pasting. I really appreciate any help! Thanks! ...

Query on Group field in Pivot Table
I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format "Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS->GROUP-> Group Field is disabled. I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter at one click. Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here. I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". Thanks Hi Shewta Check you Data Source of your Pivot. it should come up like "Sheet6!$G$1:$I$821" and not like "'\Documents and...

Pivot Table update without opening the Excel file.
Hi, I have a spreadsheet saved as an xlt. It has three pivot tables which connect to CSV data files using Microsoft Text Driver. The CSV files are updated overnight by an external application. The Excel file is in \\Server\Viewers The Data files are in \\Server\Data Local users use a shortcut to open the Excel file on \\Server\Viewers which the does an auto-update from the CSV files. The pivot table data is updated. All that has been working perfectly for years, internally. Now I need to send the same excel file to another company by email. I have succeeded in writing a vbscript that creates...

tabls in GP90 database
Does anyone know or have a description or documenation on the tables in the database for GP90? Maybe all I need is the important ones. thanks Within the program itself, Tools > Resource Descriptions Also, there are ERD's on the distribution CD's that you got when you purchased or upgraded the system - you have to install the SDK to get at them. -- Lyle U Adam Clark wrote: > Does anyone know or have a description or documenation on the tables > in the database for GP90? Maybe all I need is the important ones. > > thanks ...

Create external database

Data Tables
Has anyone ever had a problem where a data table is producing incorrect values? I have a (two dimensional) table which is producing unexpected values. When I try to replicate these values through manually changing the inputs (and changing nothing else) I get a different result to that produced by the data tables. Just to check I'm not going completely mad, I've had a colleague confirm the symptoms. Any suggestions gratefully received before I head into investigating for corruptions etc Mike The only time I've ever had a problem with charting is when I had merged c...

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut