create array of values returned by named formulas

Hi all,

Is it possible to used named formulas to build an array of values that
are not constants.  I know you can use the myArray = {0,1,2,3}  to
build an array of constants but can you simulate this effect with
named formulas, e.g. myArray =  {myval1, myval2, mval3}  where the
values are derived by named formulas, eg myval1 = average(some range).
 I've tried using various syntax and the named range is 'accepted'
when entered into the define box but when i come to try and use the
name as a chart reference i get an error.

Thanks
Rob
0
robsjhick (7)

OK Tushar,  here's the dilemma:

I have a table containing the percentage of my inventory with
specified age ranges:

Month     0 day    1 day     2 day    etc...
July 03    2%        15%       25%
Sept 03    5%        10%       25%
etc....

I want to plot this as a cumulative percentage (an S curve) which will
show the percentage of units with at least some days to expiry.  To do
this, i want to create an average of a selected period for each age
range and then add the values succesively to create a cumulative
percentage.  The final results may look like this:

Max age      Cum Perc
0              2%
1              17%
2              42%
etc...

I have managed to create the averages of a selected range but i can't
create the series as shown above unless i do it on the spreadsheet.  I
though it might be something like:

srsCumPerc = Avg0, Avg0 + Avg1, Avg0 + Avg1 + Avg2  etc..

but this won't 'build' an array.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Tushar Mehta <tm_200310@tushar-mehta.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.19dd0377476004898968c@news-server>...
> What you want to do is possible within the quirky rules that guide
> named formulas.  I suspect a general purpose answer does not exist, but
> if you share some more specific information about your
> business/application, someone should be able to provide further
> guidance.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <85a8a65c.0309230242.70eda64d@posting.google.com>,
> robsjhick@hotmail.com says...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it possible to used named formulas to build an array of values that
> > are not constants.  I know you can use the myArray = {0,1,2,3}  to
> > build an array of constants but can you simulate this effect with
> > named formulas, e.g. myArray =  {myval1, myval2, mval3}  where the
> > values are derived by named formulas, eg myval1 = average(some range).
> >  I've tried using various syntax and the named range is 'accepted'
> > when entered into the define box but when i come to try and use the
> > name as a chart reference i get an error.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rob

0
robsjhick (7)
9/26/2003 10:09:52 AM
Use something like:

Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()
    Dim aStr As String, anArr(1 To 10) As String, i As Long
    'The first loop below simply adds some test data
    For i = 1 To 10
        anArr(i) = i
        Next i
    'The next loop replaces the data in the array _
     with the running average for entries 1..i
    For i = 2 To 10
        anArr(i) = CStr((CDbl(anArr(i - 1)) * (i - 1) _
            + CDbl(anArr(i))) / i)
        Next i
    aStr = Join(anArr, ",")
    ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="SomeArr", RefersToR1C1:= _
        "={" & aStr & "}"
    Charts.Add
    ActiveChart.ChartType = xlColumnClustered
    ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Sheet1"
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Values = "=Book3!SomeArr"
    End Sub

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <85a8a65c.0309260209.64573528@posting.google.com>,
robsjhick@hotmail.com says...
> OK Tushar,  here's the dilemma:
>
> I have a table containing the percentage of my inventory with
> specified age ranges:
>
> Month     0 day    1 day     2 day    etc...
> July 03    2%        15%       25%
> Sept 03    5%        10%       25%
> etc....
>
> I want to plot this as a cumulative percentage (an S curve) which will
> show the percentage of units with at least some days to expiry.  To do
> this, i want to create an average of a selected period for each age
> range and then add the values succesively to create a cumulative
> percentage.  The final results may look like this:
>
> Max age      Cum Perc
> 0              2%
> 1              17%
> 2              42%
> etc...
>
> I have managed to create the averages of a selected range but i can't
> create the series as shown above unless i do it on the spreadsheet.  I
> though it might be something like:
>
> srsCumPerc = Avg0, Avg0 + Avg1, Avg0 + Avg1 + Avg2  etc..
>
> but this won't 'build' an array.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Rob
>
> Tushar Mehta <tm_200310@tushar-mehta.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.19dd0377476004898968c@news-server>...
> > What you want to do is possible within the quirky rules that guide
> > named formulas.  I suspect a general purpose answer does not exist, but
> > if you share some more specific information about your
> > business/application, someone should be able to provide further
> > guidance.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
> > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> >
> > In article <85a8a65c.0309230242.70eda64d@posting.google.com>,
> > robsjhick@hotmail.com says...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to used named formulas to build an array of values that
> > > are not constants.  I know you can use the myArray = {0,1,2,3}  to
> > > build an array of constants but can you simulate this effect with
> > > named formulas, e.g. myArray =  {myval1, myval2, mval3}  where the
> > > values are derived by named formulas, eg myval1 = average(some range).
> > >  I've tried using various syntax and the named range is 'accepted'
> > > when entered into the define box but when i come to try and use the
> > > name as a chart reference i get an error.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Rob

0
tm_200310 (19)
9/26/2003 8:44:03 PM
Rob -

Tushar's example can help in your case.  A clue you gave us is that the
array is accepted in the define names dialog, but doesn't work in the
chart.  The chart split from the worksheet's evolutionary tree several
generations ago, and has lost the DNA sequence that recognizes complex
defined names that the worksheet thrives on.  In most cases now, I just
put the data in a sheet somewhere, without trying to construct a fragile
defined relationship.  I may then define a name that refers to this data.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Rob Hick wrote:
> OK Tushar,  here's the dilemma:
>
> I have a table containing the percentage of my inventory with
> specified age ranges:
>
> Month     0 day    1 day     2 day    etc...
> July 03    2%        15%       25%
> Sept 03    5%        10%       25%
> etc....
>
> I want to plot this as a cumulative percentage (an S curve) which will
> show the percentage of units with at least some days to expiry.  To do
> this, i want to create an average of a selected period for each age
> range and then add the values succesively to create a cumulative
> percentage.  The final results may look like this:
>
> Max age      Cum Perc
> 0              2%
> 1              17%
> 2              42%
> etc...
>
> I have managed to create the averages of a selected range but i can't
> create the series as shown above unless i do it on the spreadsheet.  I
> though it might be something like:
>
> srsCumPerc = Avg0, Avg0 + Avg1, Avg0 + Avg1 + Avg2  etc..
>
> but this won't 'build' an array.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Rob
>
> Tushar Mehta <tm_200310@tushar-mehta.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.19dd0377476004898968c@news-server>...
>
>>What you want to do is possible within the quirky rules that guide
>>named formulas.  I suspect a general purpose answer does not exist, but
>>if you share some more specific information about your
>>business/application, someone should be able to provide further
>>guidance.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
>>www.tushar-mehta.com
>>Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
>>Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>>
>>In article <85a8a65c.0309230242.70eda64d@posting.google.com>,
>>robsjhick@hotmail.com says...
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Is it possible to used named formulas to build an array of values that
>>>are not constants.  I know you can use the myArray = {0,1,2,3}  to
>>>build an array of constants but can you simulate this effect with
>>>named formulas, e.g. myArray =  {myval1, myval2, mval3}  where the
>>>values are derived by named formulas, eg myval1 = average(some range).
>>> I've tried using various syntax and the named range is 'accepted'
>>>when entered into the define box but when i come to try and use the
>>>name as a chart reference i get an error.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Rob

Encode URL parameter value?
Hi, I need to pass parameter to a URL (on the internet). Are there any function to encode parameter like Server.URLEncode() in ASP? Thank you, Kelvin Are you talking about InternetCanonicalizeUrl()? "Kelvin" <Kelvin_gl@yahoo.com.cn> wrote in message news:ehdMDOFVEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I need to pass parameter to a URL (on the internet). Are there any function > to encode parameter like Server.URLEncode() in ASP? > > Thank you, > Kelvin > > Oh yes, it is exactly what I had spent a lot to time looking for... Thank you a lot....

create a roster

Drive array configuration
Ok, I am a new IT manager at my company, and the old IT manager (who moved into a different position in the company) is still well-respected. I emailed that I want to take an 14 disk drive array of 18G drives that is not being used and add it to our second Exchange 2003 server to be used as storage space for Exchange. Our current primary Exchange server is one of our domain controllers (something the old IT manager setup). I have not gotten too far with the configuration yet, so he "offered" his advice and said that setting up the array in a RAID-5 configuration is bad. With that...

Is there a formula to show $5,000,000 as $5M?
I am looking for an easy way to convert $M values to eliminate the 6 zeros. Thanks. You could try something like this: =IF(RIGHT(A1,6)="000000",A1/1000000&"M",A1) unless someone has a better idea.... Sheila "ExcelHelp" wrote: > I am looking for an easy way to convert $M values to eliminate the 6 zeros. > > Thanks. Another option: =TEXT(A1,"$ #,, ""M""") Another option would be to keep the value in the cell, and use a similar Custom format. -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "ExcelHelp" <...

how to define scroll bar's page size value?
Hi all, I have a confusion about calculating scroll bar's page size. In my application, I am drawing an image according to scroll bar position. m_iGeneratedImgWidth - Width size of the image (this value is always bigger) rect.right - Width of the drawing area. how to define scroll bar's page size value? SCROLLINFO info; info.cbSize = sizeof(SCROLLINFO); info.fMask = SIF_RANGE|SIF_PAGE|SIF_POS; info.nPos = 0; info.nMin = 0; info.nMax = m_iGeneratedImgWidth - rect.right; info.nPage = ? In my OnHScrollBar() function, for SB_PAGELEFT / SB_PAG...

Reference to cell with text is returning #VALUE
I have a cell that references a different cell that that consists of H9:J9 that is formated for and contains text. The referenceing cell shows #VALUE instead of the actual text that is in the cell? Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated. What does your formula look like? A simple link formula can only reference a single cell. Like this: =H9 You can't reference a range of cells like this: =H9:J9 That is why you're getting the error. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jorist" <Jorist@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Incorrect formula
Would appreciate help with my formula. I only want the 1 to be added to L28 and L29 if they have a value greater than 0. this formula produces 2 even if all the cells have nothing in them, but I need there to be nothing in the cell if no values are in any cells. If the value of every cell in the formula was 1 then my answer should be 14 but if cell L28 is 0 then the answer should be 12, and if neither L28 or L29 has a value then the answer should be 10, but because of the =1 in my formula I get an answer that is 12.(or 2 greater than I want if values are in other cells) Help appre...

Check to see if a formula is correct
I want to do something like this Sub Macro1() If Range("A1") =(=B1 + B2) Then ' This is a formula Exit Sub Else Range("C1").Select 'Has correct formula Selection.Copy Range("A1").Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas End If End Sub How do I do this? Hi Try Sub Macro1() If Range("A1").HasFormula Then Exit Sub Else Range("C1").Copy Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas Application.CutCopyMode = False ...

Task Create - Status

Inserting rows with Data, Formula's and Validation
Hi all, I posted this twice earlier today, but it hasn't appeared so if it triple post please forgive! I have a spreadsheet that starting at row 18 contains the following information A18=M$2 B18= Datavalidation indirect ($M$2) C18=IF(B18="No More Options",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),IF(B19<2,VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE),CONCATENATE(B19," x ",VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info")),1,FALSE)))) E18=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($B18,INDIRECT(CONCATENATE($M$2,"_info"))...

Create external database

#Value
I need to add 2 cells (E24+E44), how can I achieve this without getting #Value when zero value? Hi Margo, Check your data. The only way you should be getting #Value is if a number is actually being interpreted as text instead of a value. The data in either E24 or E44 has to be text instead of a value. >-----Original Message----- >I need to add 2 cells (E24+E44), how can I achieve this >without getting #Value when zero value? >. > ...

How to create pie chart with %

Counting Unique Values
=SUMPRODUCT(--(INT(A7:A9)=INT(B2)),--(C7:C9="Good"),B7:B9) Hi. Thank you for the formula ABOVE which enabled me to >Count the number of Good Cancel Requests based on Matching the >Date in B2 with a Date (in a "custom" format) in A7:A9. > > >My next question is if the formula can be modified to do >the same date matching and BUT Count the unique values in >B7:B9 . > > > A B > 2 Monitoring Statisitics 05/24/04 > 3 # Cancel Requests 3 > 4 Volume of Cancel Requests ...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

How to create Access macro shortcut

OWA and Domain\User Name Logon
Something strange happened to the logon requirements when logging onto OWA... Initially when I configured OWA the user was required to use his or her domain with their username when logging onto OWA. Now, the domain portion before the user name is no longer required. Although more convenient for the user to logon this way, I'd like to see the logon requirements as they were with the domain portion of the logon required. I am wondering what could have happened to change this feature. Any ideas? How would one change it back? Thanks in advance. Raymond- If somebody put a \ in the default...

Creating an ad book