Comparative charts

I want to do a simple bar chart showing sales for each day this year, with
right next to it, sales from the same day last year.  How would I setup my
table to do this?  I am dumping data from another source.

THANKS!
Kelli
0
Kelli (10)

Set up your data with days down column A, with the years as headings in
row 1. For example:

    2004   2005
1   100    125
2   125    132

Select a cell in the table, and use the Chart Wizard to create a chart.

Jon Peltier has a Charting tutorial that may help you:

   http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Pivot Chart #2
Hi. I have Excel 97 at work. I have a Pivot Table. I want to make charts for items that their grand total is more than 100, between 10 and hundred and less than hundred. So everytime the pivot table is updated the charts will update themselves. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

compare
Hello everyone, I have been reading this group for a while, however I am quite a rookie in using of excel. I would appreciate if someone could help with this issue. I quite often have to compare two sheets (from different workbooks-files, but with the same sheet name). Calculations are thus updated time by time and I need to check where were the main differences. Cells contain both values and formulas. I have found through this newsgroup nice add-ins of Myrna Larson and Bill Manville, and Rob Bruce. However I would need the macros to highlight only significant differences (let's say fro...

Unruly chart
I am charting monthly call volumes in a line graph in which I have 7 series (a different line of business). Each series takes 12 cells of data, corresponding to each month of the year, which I have in a different worksheet. Usually I can hit Control and individually click the different cells so that they are all included in the Values, but for some reason this time, I get to the 10th month and it won't let me click on the cell. I click one more time and it starts me over, erasing the previous 9 cells that I have clicked on. Anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? ...

Pivot Chart
Hello, I am trying to create a stacked area Pivot Chart from a Pivot Table. I have negative values but am having trouble getting them to be displayed properly in the pivot chart. Currently, the negative values are displayed at the top and are "eating into" the positive series. I need the negative values to be displayed below the x-axis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aleksandr, This may be silly to ask, but... Did you try and adjust the y-axis scale from 0 to some number to a negative value (greater than the lowest negative value) to some positive value. Ex...

Compare two files and update data from another file base on words in a cell separated by commas
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhW... Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from COLB$FileB TO correspondin...

Chart Template Default Directroy excel 2007
I used to be able save a User Defined Chart Type to file XLUSRGAL.XLS in Excel 97/03 on my (otherwise heavily restricted) Company Network and use VBA to read and apply usertypes to xy scatter charts (up to 20 series to multi-format error bars and spoof markers etc). Very powerful I think. I could see the location of XLUSRGAL.xls in my personal profile. However my Company is moving to a Citrix thin client desktop with upgrade to Excel 2007. I am restricted from writing to, and reading from, the Chart Template default directory. I suspect that might remain the case for a very long time Is t...

2 workbooks
I have got 2 workbooks with a list of names. I need to find out if a name appears in both books. One of the workbooks came from a different source and the other one is a report I ran from our database. I need to find out whether the workbook from out of the company has got any of our own names on it. I am using Microsoft Excel 97 and am fairly new at this so please be gentle. One way I did think was to combine the two workbooks into one and find the duplicates but thought there may be another way. Thank you. Hi "queen on", Assume that In book1 the names are in column A, s...

Comparing
I have two columns of numbers column A could be up to 3500 rows. Column B may be more or less than 3500 rows. What I'm trying to do is see if any number in columns "B" appears anywhere in Column "A", and if so we can just highlight it in both columns. Actually I would want to be able to sort by highlighted. so maybe add someway to sort by matched or unmatched. I hope this makes sense. In column C put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,$B:$B,1,FALSE)),"Not in B","In B") In column D put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B1,$A:$A,1,FALSE)),"Not in ...

Secondary axis on 3d charts
How can I use secondary y axis on a 3d chart - when switching to 3d chart types, the option to select the axis is removed. I have seen an example - though don't beleive that it orignated from excel. Is there a work around? TiA Most chart workarounds involve using additional series not to display data but to recreate the desired effects. In addition to their shortcomings in terms of displaying data clearly and accurately, 3D charts do not accommodate combination charts (charts with added series). It's generally better to use a 2D type chart anyway, for improved transfer of inform...

I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another
am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how would I write the formula for that????? Example: A B C 45time 11tune A match 11tune 89time 47doog 43jkjkj A match 123ABC 123ABC If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option. Thanks Try something like this: For a value list in B1:B5 and a ...

Stacked and Column Chart
Hello, Using the data below I would like to create a single chart with a Column Stacked Chart for Revenues and a Column for Expenditures. Can u help me? Revenues FY03 FY04 FY05 Private/Local Govt. $1,500,928.00 $2,598,394.00 $7,030,199.00 State $821,388.00 $3,467,473.00 $20,413,581.00 Ship Funding $15,806,578.00 $19,233,564.00 $23,902,364.00 Flowthru (Federal) $10,036,098.00 $10,595,406.00 $13,369,788.00 Federal Government $68,276,270.00 $1,604,082.00 $63,199,215.00 Expenditures $132,1452,481.00 $128...

I want to ignore invalid values in scatter chart
I have an x-y scatter chart which uses values calculated from other sheets in the workbook. Sometimes these values are invalid, and therefore I use "IF" to render the appropriate cell blank. The entire series then disappears from the chart. I just want that point to bu uncharted. Any ideas? Hi, I can't reproduce you problem. Depending on the formula used my data points either do not show, as intended, or have the value zero. Are you using a formula like this? =IF( test , value , NA() ) Cheers Andy Phil Rowe wrote: > I have an x-y scatter chart which uses values ca...

Advice on comparing data sets
Hi, Can anyone advise on how I can compare data on 1 sheet with dat compared on another. Example attached. I want to be able to show that whenever the UK is shown (can appea multiple times) on this sheet it checks on sheet2 and enter th corresponding band value in this case for the UK (show in cells B6, B8 will show band A SHEET1 Ref Country Band 1 UK 2 Germany 3 UK 4 France 5 Italy SHEET2 Country Band UK A GERMANY B ITALY B FRANCE D SWEDEN D DENMARK E As always thanks for your help. Simo +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: ...

Pie Chart size
I have four Pie Charts that I need to use for some reports in a worksheet. The worksheet is setup to print all four pie charts on one page. My problem is that when I add and change data to the sources for the pie charts, the pie charts keep changing size. I need to have all of the PIES in each pie chart to be the same size regardless of the data and labels. Is there anyway that I can specify the size of the pies such that they are all the same and do not change? Thanks for any help J Jon Peltier posted some code in the following message that should help you fix the pie charts: ...

Compare and delete row
I need some help - I need to compare a cell, let's say A1, that wil contain a date. I need Excel to compare it to today's date, if it i over 60 days, I need it to go ahead and delete that row. If not, I nee it to leave alone. Thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this Sub test() If IsDate(Range("a1")) = True Then If Range("a1").Value > Date + 60 Then Range("a1").EntireRow.Delete End If End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "intheway >" <<intheway.176s7x@excelforum-nospam.c...

autoshape on my chart got locked
Accidently, I pressed a combination of alt/shift/ctrl and autoshape drawn on the sheet (flowchart) got locked, moving mouse on any elemnet of the drawing shows a circle with a diagnol, symbolizing not available mark ...

comparing cell
i have a spreadsheet that contain a column of name (some the same and some not) and would like to place each name in a row acroos the top of the same spreadsheet. Smith Jones Brown Smith Smith Brown Smith Jones Jones Smith Brown Hi Stanley First insert a heading above your column of names. Then Data>Filter>Advanced Filter mark the source as your column of names. Choose copy to another location and choose a detination cell on the sheet. Select Unique values only. Having got a unique list of names, copy this list and Paste Special>Transpo...

compare side by side
Using WindowsXP-Media Edition with Service Pack 2 and Office 2003. When I choose the "compare side by side" option, my two workbooks appear one above the other rather than side by side. Am I missing something?? >>Am I missing something?? I commented on that to MS during the beta test. They ignored me! -- Jim "BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%233jhCdasHHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... | Using WindowsXP-Media Edition with Service Pack 2 and Office 2003. | | When I choose the "compare side by side" option, my two workbooks appear ...

compare time
I would like to compare a calculated time in my work sheet vs. the actual system time. For example, if the caculated time is >than or = to the system time I want excel to tell me to "CALL", if not then "REST"...any help would be appreciated. Thanks, DE Put your calculated time in a cell (say A1) In B1 put =NOW() in C1 enter =IF(A1>=B1,"CALL","REST) -- Gary''s Student "Eddie Munster" wrote: > I would like to compare a calculated time in my work sheet vs. the actual > system time. For example, if the caculated time is ...

Axis Labels Cut off in Excel Chart
Hi, In an Excel chart using a column of labels for the Category Axis Labels, the labels are being truncated by Excel in the chart. For instance, "Middle East" appears on the chart as "Middle". "Netherlands" appears as "Nether" Pretty amusing, but not very useful in business. I have tried various adjustments to column width, etc. without success. Can anyone suggest a fix? Your assistance is appreciated! Thanks, Eric T. Eric Use A Bar chart, this places the LAbels on the left of the graph and is better for long titles. Peter "EricT&...

Waterfall chart
Hello I have a waterfall chart showing: Budget 20xx Variance type 1 Variance type 2 Variance type 3 Variance type 4 Variance type 5 =Revised budget 20xx In one month variance type 1, 2 and 3 may be negative and type 4 and 5 positive. In another month this may be different, for example that type 1 and 2 are negative while type 3, 4 and 5 are positive. Question: Is it possible to have bars showing negative variances in one color and positive variances in another? Hans Knudsen I know I can do it manually, but is it possible to do it automatically? Hans Knudsen "Hans Knudsen" &...

Comparing Excel Spreadsheets
Ok, got one I can't handle.. I have one of two scenarios. Either I have 2 Excel workbooks, or 1 workbook with 2 worksheets.. Either way, I have 2 one Column data sets. I need a way to look at the data sets and find what is missing Example Data 1 = 1 2 3 4 5 Data 2 = 1 3 5 6 Results = 2 4 6 Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks Joe ...

Setting chart data range automatically
Hi from Loucas, This is my second posting to the forum. I hope someone out there ca help me! I am trying to set the data range for my chart automatically. Som macros change the data in my worksheet with the data, and as a resul my chart data range may need to cover more/less rows and/or columns. So, every time I run the macros for my data worksheet, I need anothe macro to re-define the data range for my graph. More info: 1. I have variables that reflect the column and row numbers for m range that I can use 2. The data range does not consist of consecutive cells (there is a ga of data colum...

chart gaps
i'm looking for a function that i can use to put gaps in my chart w/ having to leave the cell empty. currently, the formula i have in eac cell is =IF(B6>B5,B6,NA()). my problem is, when i make the chart Excel simply doesn't show a plot point at that point and draws the lin to the next point in which a cell shows a value instead of "#N/A". want it to not draw the line, but leave a gap and only plot the poin as if i had left the cell blank. is this possible? thanks much, stephe -- medicenpringle -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Column comparing
I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for this please? Many thanks DT Check your earlier post. Dave T wrote: > > I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and > delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for > this please? > > Many thanks > DT -- Dave Peterson ...