Combining a 2-D column graph and a 2-D line graph on the same char

I would like to show a 2-D column graph and a 2-D line graph on the same chart.
The independent variable on the X-axis (name of employee) is the same for
both graphs.
The dependent variables on the y-axis are different:
(1) years of experience (column graph), (2) cumulative years of experience
(line graph).
I need to use two different scales for the y-axis to make both graphs
visible, as the year of experience of the employees ranges between 1 and 40
years and the cumulative years of experience ranges between 1 and 1500 years.
The input data for the graphs are listed in three columns of a single
worksheet.
Could anybody make a suggestion about how to combine the graphs?
Many thanks
Filippo

I have just put up a file for you at:-

http://www.pierrefondes.com/

It is item number 69 towards the top of my home page.

The only thing I have changed from what you want is how you have structured
your underlying data. I have done it slightly differently (see Completed
_Chart Worksheet cells A 1 to G 3. You may, therefore, have to adapt your
method of working to what I have done.

Apart from that I think the chart does what you want it to do.

"Filippo" wrote:

> I would like to show a 2-D column graph and a 2-D line graph on the same chart.
> The independent variable on the X-axis (name of employee) is the same for
> both graphs.
> The dependent variables on the y-axis are different:
> (1) years of experience (column graph), (2) cumulative years of experience
> (line graph).
> I need to use two different scales for the y-axis to make both graphs
> visible, as the year of experience of the employees ranges between 1 and 40
> years and the cumulative years of experience ranges between 1 and 1500 years.
> The input data for the graphs are listed in three columns of a single
> worksheet.
> Could anybody make a suggestion about how to combine the graphs?
> Many thanks
> Filippo
Your reply answers the question as posted.  I re-arranged my data and placed
them in the Excel file downloaded from your website.  The two graphs were
plotted correctly on the same graph.
However, my actual task is a little more complicated.  In addition to 'years
of experience' and 'cumulative years of experience'   I need to plot 'years
with the company' (column graph) and 'cumulative years with the company'
(line graph).  The chart will actually contain four graphs.  The two line
graphs use the same scale on the right side of the chart and the two column
graphs use the same scale on the left of the chart.

I guess my questions are how can I add a graph to an existing chart and how
can I select the type of graph and the scale.

Many thanks for your help and sorry for asking an additional question!

Filippo

"trip_to_tokyo" wrote:

> I have just put up a file for you at:-
>
> http://www.pierrefondes.com/
>
> It is item number 69 towards the top of my home page.
>
> The only thing I have changed from what you want is how you have structured
> your underlying data. I have done it slightly differently (see Completed
> _Chart Worksheet cells A 1 to G 3. You may, therefore, have to adapt your
> method of working to what I have done.
>
> Apart from that I think the chart does what you want it to do.
>
> If my comments have helped please hit Yes.
>

> "Filippo" wrote:
>
> > I would like to show a 2-D column graph and a 2-D line graph on the same chart.
> > The independent variable on the X-axis (name of employee) is the same for
> > both graphs.
> > The dependent variables on the y-axis are different:
> > (1) years of experience (column graph), (2) cumulative years of experience
> > (line graph).
> > I need to use two different scales for the y-axis to make both graphs
> > visible, as the year of experience of the employees ranges between 1 and 40
> > years and the cumulative years of experience ranges between 1 and 1500 years.
> > The input data for the graphs are listed in three columns of a single
> > worksheet.
> > Could anybody make a suggestion about how to combine the graphs?
> > Many thanks
> > Filippo
As long as your data is a new series for the existing categories
(employees or teams or whatever), then you can simply select the new
range of data, copy (Ctrl-C or ribbon button) and then select the chart
and paste.
You can do this for new categories or new series, as long as they match
existing ones in size.

Now, after pasting your two new series you need to format each one and
choose to plot it on the primary or the secondary axis, depending on
which scale you want that one to have. You can only have two axes
maximum so you don't need to find a way to control the scale.

For each series you can simply right click and go to Change chart type
(in 2007 at least - you don't seem to say what version you are using?)

Hope this helps
Adam

On 21/02/2010 23:20, Filippo wrote:
> Your reply answers the question as posted.  I re-arranged my data and placed
> them in the Excel file downloaded from your website.  The two graphs were
> plotted correctly on the same graph.
> However, my actual task is a little more complicated.  In addition to 'years
> of experience' and 'cumulative years of experience'   I need to plot 'years
> with the company' (column graph) and 'cumulative years with the company'
> (line graph).  The chart will actually contain four graphs.  The two line
> graphs use the same scale on the right side of the chart and the two column
> graphs use the same scale on the left of the chart.
>
> I guess my questions are how can I add a graph to an existing chart and how
> can I select the type of graph and the scale.
>
> Many thanks for your help and sorry for asking an additional question!
>
> Filippo
>

> "trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
>
>> I have just put up a file for you at:-
>>
>> http://www.pierrefondes.com/
>>
>> It is item number 69 towards the top of my home page.
>>
>> The only thing I have changed from what you want is how you have structured
>> your underlying data. I have done it slightly differently (see Completed
>> _Chart Worksheet cells A 1 to G 3. You may, therefore, have to adapt your
>> method of working to what I have done.
>>
>> Apart from that I think the chart does what you want it to do.
>>
>> If my comments have helped please hit Yes.
>>

>> "Filippo" wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to show a 2-D column graph and a 2-D line graph on the same chart.
>>> The independent variable on the X-axis (name of employee) is the same for
>>> both graphs.
>>> The dependent variables on the y-axis are different:
>>> (1) years of experience (column graph), (2) cumulative years of experience
>>> (line graph).
>>> I need to use two different scales for the y-axis to make both graphs
>>> visible, as the year of experience of the employees ranges between 1 and 40
>>> years and the cumulative years of experience ranges between 1 and 1500 years.
>>> The input data for the graphs are listed in three columns of a single
>>> worksheet.
>>> Could anybody make a suggestion about how to combine the graphs?
>>> Many thanks
>>> Filippo
0
AdamV

Address Book Problem #2
Outlook version: 2003 When in a Distribution List, I click on [Select Members] and get this MS Office Outlook message: The list could not be displayed. The Contacts Folder associated with this address could not be opened; It may have been moved or delected, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Outlook Office Outlook Help. [OK] This is a recent problem. Advice? -- Larry Bohen www.audiobooksonline.com Sounds like you have an invalid reference to a Contacts Folder. reset those references here: Tools > E-mail a...

Upgrade Path sbs2000/sbs2003r2 and CRM1.2/3.0
We currently have CRM 1.2 installed on a sbs2000 server. We are looking to upgrade this server to sbs2003r2 and we also want to upgrade CRM from 1.2 to 3.0. Can someone recommend the best upgrade path? This is partial book smarts and partial experience... Book smarts: Upgrade to CRM 3.0 on the SBS2000 box (assuming SQL 2000) Experience: Redeploy to SBS2k3R2 box using CRM 3.0 redeployment tool Upgrade to Rollup 1 My experience was to take it from a 3.0 to 3.0 on R2, so I had a SQL 2000 -> SQL 2005 on a new domain. I recommend that you backup and follow the directions to a T. The up...

outlook 2003 has 2 "send" labels in the send receive drop down
hi, sometimes, i have to reboot my machine because the send recieve button in outlook does not work, when i go to the drop down menu, i dont see any of my "accounts" listed, and I see the word "send", then the next line is duplicated and also says 'send". the only way to get back to "normal" is to reboot the whole system until it happens again. This usually happens once per day. Close Outlook. Do a search for the outcmd.dat file (this is a hidden file so you'll have to either tell Windows Explorer to unhide it or search hidden files and folder...

Email forwarding #2
Is there anyway to get your outlook emails forwarded automatically???? Hi! Microsoft Outlook, not Express? 1). Tools\Rules and Alerts... 2). Our Redirect add-in (www.mapilab.com), it redirect email and new recipient will receive the full copy of message, including internet headers and the same sender as in original email. > -----Original Message----- > From: Jason [mailto:Jason@nts.uk.net] > Posted At: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 3:46 PM > Posted To: microsoft.public.outlook > Conversation: Email forwarding > Subject: Email forwarding > > Is there anyway to get your ...

calendar #2
is there a formula for a continues monthly calendar? Hi tg not exactly sure what you're after here but if you enter 01/01/05 in a cell and drag down (autofill handle, little back cross bottom right of cell) it will increment by a day for each row. If you'ld like more assistance please feel free to post back with additional details. Cheers JulieD "tg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:429d01c4afae$b110b910$a601280a@phx.gbl... > is there a formula for a continues monthly calendar? ...

Setting up Outlook 2003 #2
I am in the process of setting up Outlook 2003 on my new computer. I believe I may have click the wrong answer and have put in incorrect information for outlook to start. I keep getting a box that ask for Username and passcode. When I put in the information I think it should be, I receive this message: Unable to open your default e-mail. The file C:\Documents and Setting\Owner\Local Setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file. Please tell me what I should do. When I click OK. Outlook closes. Thanks. -- Trying to keep up with technology G...

Mails Combined
HI, I mistakenly delete all mails from Inbox and then found them on the deleted Items and selected all and ask to move folders back to Inbox. the problem is all mails were combined into one email and moved back in to Inbox as a single email. How do i go back to the original version. How do i uncombined all the mails in to individual mails from the right recipient? Please help ASAP.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

Syntax error with WinDBG command line -c ".cls;g"
I am using WinDBG 6.12.2.663 to debug a target (VMWare ware guest) over COM pipe. I intend to pass a command line that clears the screen and continues debugging. So, I pass -c ".cls;g" and I get the syntax error Processing initial command '.cls;g' 0: kd> .cls;g ^ Syntax error in '.cls;g' It works fine if pass just -c ".cls" WinDBG help states that "If you are starting a debugging client, this command must be intended for the debugging server. Client-specific commands, such as .lsrcpath, are not allowed. ". Is that wha t...

RSS feed #2
I do not want Outlook as an RSS client. Every time I click on a feed, Outlook grabs it! How can I stop this so I can use live bookmarks etc? THANKS Robin "a novice" Hello RC Crabbe, I can do it for you. Please reply if you want it. Regards Andrej > I do not want Outlook as an RSS client. Every time I click on a feed, > Outlook grabs it! How can I stop this so I can use live bookmarks etc? > > > THANKS > Robin "a novice" > ...

sum by coding without 0 #2
hi in the following program if there is no value in the cells a1 and b1 it returns 0 Public Sub Add2Cells() Range("C1").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("B1").Value End Sub i need only the output if the both the cells have the data will you can tell me that Public Sub Add2Cells() If Range("A1").Value <> "" And .Range("B1").Value <> "" Then Range("C1").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("B1").Value End If End Sub -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no ...

multi-line graph with dates on x-axis
I like to graph data points with dates on the x-axis. I have not been able to graph more than one line at a time. Why not? Can I? Ef There should be no problem having two (or more) data series. How is the data set out on your worksheet? Are you making a Line chart? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Ef" <Ef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6706E9B2-A73C-4AEC-ADA0-D88B0A3E9CD4@microsoft.com... >I like to graph data points with dates on the x-axis. I have not been able > to graph more than one line at a time. ...

help !!! lost floppy 2 / 2 of my back up file
I still have floppy number 1 and it's fine, Is there a way I can recover at least the data on that floppy? On doing the restore, after finishing floppy 1, asks for floppy 2, but i don't have any and it aborts the restore process. Any idea, what can i do? In microsoft.public.money, Fife wrote: >I still have floppy number 1 and it's fine, >Is there a way I can recover at least the data on that floppy? No. > >On doing the restore, after finishing floppy 1, asks for floppy 2, but i >don't have any and it aborts the restore process. > >Any idea, what...

Automatic settling of EDC Batch #2
Is there a way to stelle an EDC batch automatically in RMS, or an add-on that accomplishes this? This would be very handy. Thank you in advance. ...

merge/combine workshhets
I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of rows Try this Jeff http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff224" <Jeff224@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6790506-2888-4F4D-80EA-BB0D9F9B27A2@microsoft.com... >I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - > all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of > rows Or http://www.rondebru...

Notification if no external e-mail recieved for over 2 hours.
Recently the SMTP authentication settings were changed so that no external e-mails could be recieved. There was no way to see that this was the case until someone complained. Is there any way to monitor externally recieved e-mails so that if none are recieved after a certain amount of time for a notification to be generated? In this case a script using telnet could be used to check if e-mails could be recieved externally, but I was looking more for something like if no external e-mails recieved by any users for two hours then create notification. I can't seem to think of any way to che...

BillPay #2
When will Money start using the the free MyCheckFree.com? This a free service now. What gives. Boo Microsoft. I may need to switch. Yikes! So why am I socked with a $5.95 monthly fee? Just because I use it within the Money program? I don't use my bank so not sure why I get the fee. Thanks! "Bogee" <Bogee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C06B9868-442D-4841-98D3-0C85524F86ED@microsoft.com... > When will Money start using the the free MyCheckFree.com? This a free > service > now. What gives. > > Boo Microsoft. I may need to switch. ...

Finding the combination that appears more times
Hi everybody i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns A:E, each column showing one (1) item I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically, which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix eg: A B C D F A C D E F B C D E F B C D F Z in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination would take forever... is there a simpler, quicker ...

forecast function help #2
Just to clarify that formula, am i right to say this? =ROUND(FORECAST($E$1,B2:D2,$B$1:$D$1),0) $E$1 - is selecting the forcast for year 2004 B2:D2 - is selecting all the data bar the years in the top row $B$1:$D$1 - is being used to predict the outcome for 2004 Is that right? Thanks again -- metho ----------------------------------------------------------------------- method's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1503 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26644 Hi B1:D1 are the x values there B2:D2 the associated y ...

convert #2
I have my checks on version 6 of quicken. It's backup file is qdb. It wouldn't run in this new vista machine so I bought the 2009 version. It says in black and white in a hard to find instruction that it has changed format and will not import my old files, it uses qif. I returned it and got my refund check today. How about that? My question. If ms money will import my old files, I want to buy it. If it will not, I don't want it. I have been looking and can not find anywhere it says one or the other. Glenn In microsoft.public.money, Glenn wrote: >I have my checks on ...

How do I unwrap text to columns?
I have a spreadsheet where the addresses have been saved as wrapped text in one column. I want to spilt the addresses into columns as Address1, Address2 etc but I can't enter the wrap character (which I think is ALT+ENTER) as a delimiter in the Text to Columns wizard. I have also tried search and replace but again Excel will not recognise ALT+ENTER as a delimiter Any ideas much appreciated! Thanks Re-format the column to eliminate the wrap.............then use Data > TextToColumns with Alt010 (from the keypad) as the delimiter Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "ChristineR&...

How do you force another line in a text box?
When using text boxes. how do you force another line when character spacing reaches a certain point. A text box is a single line. Full stop. A text area will automatically wrap when the user types to the end of the visible space - this does not, however, add a line feed. To add a line feed after a preset number of characters, as I said in an earlier post, you need server side scripting which parses the data, and adds the line feed at the required intervals. Of course, this is complicated by needing to account for spaces between words - and avoiding the line feed in the middl...

Combining Publications
Can I combine two different publications into one? Suzi wrote: > Can I combine two different publications into one? ========================================= Personally, I would simply open two instances of Publisher (one document in each) / tile the two screens...and copy/paste. Maybe the following link will be useful: Combining Publisher Documents http://tinyurl.com/2lpj5w -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that wo...

RANDOM WEIGHT (PRICE EMBEDDED) EAN/UPC BARCODES IN STORE VER 2.0
HELLO , I CREATED THE RANDOM WEIGHT CODE STARTING WITH (201000100000) THE BREAK UP OF THE CODE IS 20 = PREFIX 10001=ITEM LOOKUPCODE 00000=WEIGHING PRICE AFTER SETTING THE EAN13 CODE FOR THE WEIGHING ITEM I TRIED TO SCAN THE BARCODE WHICH IS CREATED IN WEIGHING SCALE . BUT THE POS IS NOT PICKING UP THIS CODE PLEASE ADVICE THE SOLUTION FOR THIS 1. make sure you've turn the utilize EAN/UPC option on. 2. HHIIIIIPPPDDC HH - header identifier, must be started w/ 02 or 20 IIIII - item lookup code (SKU in the scale) PPP - price to the left decimal DD - price to the right decimal C - che...

Time Formula #2
Hi I run Excel 2K I download data from a mainframe. This data has a date & time format in it (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss) I work in a place that has a 3 shift cycle - day shift, afternoon shift, night shift. Day shift starts at 7:20am and ends at 15:29pm Afternoon shift starts at 15:30pm and ends at 23:19pm Night shift starts at 23:20pm amd ends at 7:19am I need a formula that looks at the cell with the date/time in it and displays the word DAY (for the time frame of day shift), AFTERNOON (for the timeframe of afternoon shift) and NIGHT (for the timeframe of night shift) In my previous ...

Combining 2 Excel (xls) files
I have 2 xls workbooks with different sheet names and both with different range names. I would like to combine them both into one workbook so that I don't have to re-create all of the range names. Is there a way to do that? -- LAF ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=346017 Hi LAF- Open both files (let's call them A & B, and assume A will be your "combined" file). Working i...