Column Chart Conditional Formatting

I have a column chart that compares 2 y values against a common x value.  I
want to compare the second y value to the first, if it is greater then make
that bar green, if less then red, if same grey.  Any ideas on how to go about
this?

Thanks

Adam Bush

You'll need to do this by manipulating the actual data.

Setup 3 dummy series, first with a static value of 10. On the chart, format
these green, red, and grey respectively. Now, go back and change the static
values to formulas similar to this:

=IF(B2>A2,B2,NA())

=IF(B2<A2,B2,NA())

=IF(B2=A2,B2,NA())

If your chart has a legend, you can remove the dummy series by
single-clicking twice on the entry, and then press delete.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"adambush4242@hotmail.com"
<adambush4242hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a column chart that compares 2 y values against a common x value.  I
> want to compare the second y value to the first, if it is greater then
> make
> that bar green, if less then red, if same grey.  Any ideas on how to go
> about
> this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam Bush

0
Luke

Charting using Stacked Column Graph
Excel 2002... I think I posted this in the wrong place before. I'm trying to chart a series that is comprised of 5 - 3 number groups. I can chart the first group, but when I try to add the next series, it stacks them onto the existing columns rather than make 3 new ones. The data looks like this (simplified): A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 1-10 .01 .03 .58 .023 .025 .023 11-15 .012 .025 .025 .024 .588 .280 16-20 .012 .255 .158 .024 .254 .241 I get a nice chart with A1-A3...but can't add B1-B3 next to it. Help me, please. Thanks, Gre...

Chart Data
Good morning all. I have several charts in a workbook that captures data from another workbook. The problem I am having is that the data gets converted from having two decimal points to four. I have tried formatting the source data cells with different number formats, ie: general number w/two decimal places and accounting numbers w/two decimals. Still the charts in the other workbook show 4 decimal places. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris Chris - Change the number formats in the target workbook. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solu...

Search columns on multiple worksheets
In a workbook I have a worksheet for each month of the year. How would I be able to automatically determine whether the entry currently being made has been entered in the same column previously on any of the worksheets? (Similar to “Find” under Edit) If so, would it be possible to indicate the previously entered data by highlighting each duplicate cell? I suggest you start with Chip's site www.cpearson.com which has lots about duplicates Then come back with more detailed question best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps fro...

optional column required in datasheet view
I have a document library with two content types. I have changed all columns for both content types to optional. One content type is link to a document, for which URL is required by default. I have changed it to optional. The other content type is document. URL is not used in that content type. When I bulk edit items in datasheet, though, I can't save my changes without putting data in the URL column for documents, even though the column is not used in that content type and is set as optional. I even tried making URL optional at the site content type level and the datashee...

Text to columns #2
Is there a way to have a worksheet automatically change to delimite text to columns when it opens? Thanks all, Vat -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Vato If I understand you correctly, simply record yourself doing it once and then re-run the code in future -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Vato Loco >" <<Vato.Loco.182h63@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Vato.Loco.182h63@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is there a way to have a worksheet automatically change to delimited &...

multipule columns as on column
I need to create a make-table query containing 6 fields.. I have 16 fields in the original table. The first is a primary key, the next fifteen and actually three groups of five (a,b,c,d,e,a1,b1,c1,d1,e1,a2,b2,c2, d2,e2) the need to be output as a,a1,a2 into a field called last name (not concatenated), b,b1,b2 into a field called first name...etc... Does anyone have any ideas On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:07:31 GMT, "gz3d2h" <u34843@uwe> wrote: >I need to create a make-table query containing 6 fields.. > >I have 16 fields in the original table. The first is a primary ke...

want to add all $ in column c where column A is the same
I'm very new at Excel, and a real math dummy. I've figured out how to enter a formula when all the $ I want to add are together, but I can't figure out how to do that when I want to select only the $ values for certain items listed throughout the spreadsheet. For example: I keep a running list of Architects, their projects and $ values of each project as they are assigned. I want to automatically calculate the total current $ value for each Architect without having to sort them in order, or create a separate table for each architect. Can I do that? Here's what th...

Formated text in text type fields
Hi. I need to store html text in text fields. Could be some other field type, but I can't figure what. I say html but could be some other format. I need things like bold, underline, sub/superscript, eventually table with 6 or 8 cells. Can it be done (including screen displaying and printing)? For the moment I don't need any web application, just to store some formatting together with text. Thanks H. Martins If you are using Access 2007, you can use a Memo field with what they call "rich text." It stores and displays HTML. (Actually it's a limited subset of HTML, ...

Importing email address from column in excel sheet
Wondering how to import about 60 email addresses I have in a column in an excel spreadsheet into my address book in outlook. Or even to send one email, then navigate to the email address list without actually adding them in my address book. ...

can I put a stacked column next to a solid column
I am trying to graph some information and can't figure out how to place a solid column that references one number next to a stacked column that references two numbers. Maybe a better question is can I put two stacked columns righ next to eachother? Hi, Have a look at the links on Jon Peltier's page. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy RobXCSP wrote: > I am trying to graph some information and can't figure out how to place a > solid column that references one number next to a stacked column that > references two numbers. Maybe a...

Custom Date Format #2
When working with data from a spreadsheet which originated from a much earlier version of Excel (Excel95, I believe), which I'm now trying to use with Excel 2003. I'm having trouble with the formatting of the date being interpreted as a formula and forcing an equals sign "=" to appear next to the data. When the file is first opened, the original data appears correctly. However, after editing the data in the field and pressing the 'enter' key, the date displayed on the sheet shows "00-Jan-00". When I use the arrow keys to go back up to that parti...

Group DB columns to be used in pivot table
Hi, I have the following problems to prepare the DB. I need to create a Pivot Table and my source DB is Excel. Headings go from Column A to AT, but only columns A to N will be used to play around with the pivot, while columns O to AT are only to input values. How can I: 1) Transform the many columns O to AT in one field called Product so that once placed into the Column part of the Pivot I can see all the headings from O to AT 2) How to make all the O to AT cells active so that the user can enter values and see the changes or analyse using the A to N fields? Examle: A B C D E F G H I...

how do i change column labels back to letters? currently columns.
when i opened excel this evening, i found that columns and rows are both labeled with numbers. How do I relabel the columns alphabetically so that I can use formulas? thanks Click Tools > Options > General tab Uncheck "R1C1 reference style" > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "slthompson" <slthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DF283F7-A345-46E9-AD0C-148B8BDC200B@microsoft.com... > when i opened excel this evening, i found that columns and rows are both &g...

Count Unique text in 3 different columns
Hi, I saw a few formulas that adds Unique records when is numbers, but I have a spreasheet which I need to count the Unique records (Names) taken into consideration three diffrent columns, example; Column A Column B Column C DC&D aagis Ternure DC&D aagis Ternure DC&D adamk New Hire DC&D adamk New Hire DC&D adasilva New Hire DC&D adasilva New Hire DC&D vdafons Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure DC&D AMPATA Ternure AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO Ashaw New Hire AIO A...

hide a column
hi can u help me with this what i want is that if in a column there is written "Blank" a comman that hides that particular column plz help me with thi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following macro (looks in row 1 for this word 'Blank') Sub hide_columns() Dim ColNdx As Long application.screenupdating=False For ColNdx = 1 to 256 If Cells(1, ColNdx).Value = "Blank" Then Columns(ColNdx).hidden = True End If Next ColNdx application.screenupdating=True End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany >...

display total in stacked column chart
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 To make it simple to explain, I'll make up a sample stacked column chart and maybe someone can help me. Let's assume I have taken attendance in a particular class over the last 5 years and I have that attendance information broken down into males and females. So I have a data table that has the year in Column A, the number of males in attendance in Column B, the number of females in attendance in Column C, and the total attendance in Column D. I created a stacked column chart with the information from Columns B and C so that my stacked column...

Charting points that are not consecutive in a data table
Any help or suggestions are appreciated. The problem is this: I have a set of data that looks like this: Date 10/15 10/17 10/20 10/21 10/22 Vault 80% #DIV/0! #DIV/0! 80% #DIV/0! Bars 20% #DIV/0! 60% #DIV/0! 90% Beam 15% 23% 20% 12% 50% Floor #DIV/0! #DIV/0! 100% #DIV/0! 93% . . . and it goes on until the end of November. The invalid number exist because the individual did not work on that particular apparatu that day. There is no particular pattern to the days which individual perform on one apparatus and not another. I need to chart their percentages all on one chart, but do not ...

Xcel or Access sort columns of names so that I remove the intersect between 2 columns from one of the columns?
Hi, I have currently in Xcel and long list of X English phrases in one column with associated numerical data about each name in adjoining columns. I have on another workbook (which could of course be pasted into this workbook)another similarly set out column of Y English phrases again with ajoining columns having numberical data row that the phrase. I would like to be able to sort the second column of phrases removing all the phrases that occured in the first column. Ideally it would be great to have the numerical data for the remaining English phrases still on the same rows (not necessary ...

paste format as comment
Is there any command to paste text or paragraph formatting as comment ? I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. You can certainly paste text into a comment, but I'm sure you've already tried that. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Crios" <cristian.iosifescu@ugal.ro> wrote in message news:%23Op$cbL0KHA.224@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Is there any command to paste text or paragraph formatting as comment ? > I want to write a model/guide for writing a document with explanations inserted as comments. Explanations should in...

Moving a column
How do i move a Vertical column over to the right & have the information move with it ? -- Dell Inspiron Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 One way: select the column header (usually a letter at the top) Rightclick on that selection And select insert desgnr wrote: > > How do i move a Vertical column over to the right & have the information > move with it ? > > -- > Dell Inspiron > Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz > 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM > Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 -- Dave Peterson Clic...

Separating data in a column
the spreadsheet i am working on has 1 column with 2 possible answers, i.e. yes/no. what i need to do is separate the replies and then total the yes replies in another cell and also total no replies in a different cell. How do i do it? The following COUNTIF function can be used =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$21,"yes") The sort or data filter command can be used to separate the replies. "Gemgirl" wrote: > the spreadsheet i am working on has 1 column with 2 possible answers, i.e. > yes/no. what i need to do is separate the replies and then total the yes > replie...

Gantt Chart Import Invalid Column Error
Trying to import an Excel table into the Gantt Chart in Visio. The Finish date works fine, but every time I try to map the Start date, I get an "Invalid Column Format" error. Tried changing the format of the Start date field, and it doesn't change anything. Excel 2007 Visio 2007 SP2 and 2010 Beta, both with the same issue. Any suggestions? some people have luck with exporting a file from Visio first, then using that as a dummy file to enter data into and import back. I also found that visio chokes on blank date fields. ...

Builtin chart type internationalization
Hi, My VB program uses Excel's built in custom type chart called Smooth Lines. I use the following code to call it: Excel.ActiveChart.ApplyCustomType ChartType:=xlBuiltIn, TypeName:="Smooth Lines" This works fine in an English version Excel but when you have a German Excel it causes an error and says that the type name is not applicable. The reason for this is because the German version of Excel calls the Smooth Lines as Weiche Linien and if I replace the Smooth Lines type name with Weiche Linien, it works. The only solution I could come up with are either: 1. Create my...

match up column A with column B
Hi, I have a column of numbers in A, and a column of numbers in B. There are 180 numbers in A (A1:A180) and 130 numbers in B (B1:B130). I need Excel to find which numbers match up between columns, e.g look down column A and find all the matching numbers in column B, then sort the columns so the matched numbers are next to each other (so I can see which numbers don't match between columns). (I have sorted the numbers from lowest to highest down the column, so they are in numerical order). I have no idea how to do this. :confused: Thanks for any assistance you can provide. :) -- ...

Can the left column panes be frozen when doing functional chart
Am doing a swim lane flow chart that is using many pages. Would be nice to freeze the functional names on the left of each page. Much like you can do in excel. Can this be done in Visio? ...