Charts not recognizing source data if original linked data is changed.

I am very frustrated by Excel (2003) at the moment. I'm relatively new
to using Excel in depth. I have always been able to work my way through
most intricacies and pitfalls. But now I have been working in a workbook
with linked sheets (and with linked workbooks too) and have two problems
that I cannot solve.

Right now, I have about 47 sheets that are set up as follows:

detail data: this is the raw data the the user enters
daily totals: this is calculated data from the detail sheets
summary sheets: further sums from the daily totals and a chart object
that charts these sums (a line or scatter chart)
(that accounts for 45 of the sheets)
a combined-summary sheet: this includes the data from all summary
sheets
an overall summary sheet: is the same as the summary sheets, but takes
totals from the combined-summary sheet

So, first problem: The workbook functions exactly as I want it
to...ONCE. Then, if any data is changed in the detail sheets all the
other data updates, but the charts fail to show any of the source data.
They are completely blank. I have calculations set to automatic. I have
all protections off (though I originally thought this was my problem
because I protected everything but the cells where I want users to
input raw data). I have Update Remote References on, but that shouldn't
matter since it's all one workbook. I even saved the file as a template,
which was always my intention, but when one user tried to plug in his
data, the charts didn't recognize the data. I've tried different chart
types. I've tried re-highlighting the source data. I've tried having
the charts on separate worksheets instead of as objects. Nothing I've
tried has worked. I looked in online Excel help to no avail. I have an
Office 2003 Bible, but can't find any section that discusses this.

Please help. This is so frustrating! This is my last resort before
reporting a bug to Microsoft and waiting for the update...

Second problem: In the same workbook, each chart's source data is units
that have an associated cost. My boss wants me to have the associated
display on the chart when you mouseover each data point. I'm sure I
could figure this out eventually, but don't have time after spending
days on my first problem.

I really appreciate any and all responses. Please show me what I'm
overlooking, so I can feel like a dolt, but a dolt with a functioning
workbook!

Thanks so much,
jlc


-- 
JLC
------------------------------------------------------------------------
JLC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28014
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=475213

0
10/11/2005 10:00:45 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
609 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 55

Hi JLC,

Not too sure what the problem is - perhaps you can give us some more 
information, like;

Are your charts embedded in the summary sheets, or are they separate chart 
sheets?

What does the chart series formula look like? In one of my worksheets, I 
click on a series and see a formula like this =SERIES('KPI 
Report.xls'!Act,'KPI Report.xls'!Time_axis,'KPI Report.xls'!Month_Actual,2)

How are the summary sheets calculated? SUMIF formulas? ADO? Pivot Tables? 
INDIRECT(ADDRESS...?

Do you have one workbook or more? You seem to be saying that you have more 
at least one linked workbook - are all workbooks open when you change the 
data?

Are you using any VBA code?

Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net/


>
> I am very frustrated by Excel (2003) at the moment. I'm relatively new
> to using Excel in depth. I have always been able to work my way through
> most intricacies and pitfalls. But now I have been working in a workbook
> with linked sheets (and with linked workbooks too) and have two problems
> that I cannot solve.
>
> Right now, I have about 47 sheets that are set up as follows:
>
> detail data: this is the raw data the the user enters
> daily totals: this is calculated data from the detail sheets
> summary sheets: further sums from the daily totals and a chart object
> that charts these sums (a line or scatter chart)
> (that accounts for 45 of the sheets)
> a combined-summary sheet: this includes the data from all summary
> sheets
> an overall summary sheet: is the same as the summary sheets, but takes
> totals from the combined-summary sheet
>
> So, first problem: The workbook functions exactly as I want it
> to...ONCE. Then, if any data is changed in the detail sheets all the
> other data updates, but the charts fail to show any of the source data.
> They are completely blank. I have calculations set to automatic. I have
> all protections off (though I originally thought this was my problem
> because I protected everything but the cells where I want users to
> input raw data). I have Update Remote References on, but that shouldn't
> matter since it's all one workbook. I even saved the file as a template,
> which was always my intention, but when one user tried to plug in his
> data, the charts didn't recognize the data. I've tried different chart
> types. I've tried re-highlighting the source data. I've tried having
> the charts on separate worksheets instead of as objects. Nothing I've
> tried has worked. I looked in online Excel help to no avail. I have an
> Office 2003 Bible, but can't find any section that discusses this.
>
> Please help. This is so frustrating! This is my last resort before
> reporting a bug to Microsoft and waiting for the update...
>
> Second problem: In the same workbook, each chart's source data is units
> that have an associated cost. My boss wants me to have the associated
> display on the chart when you mouseover each data point. I'm sure I
> could figure this out eventually, but don't have time after spending
> days on my first problem.
>
> I really appreciate any and all responses. Please show me what I'm
> overlooking, so I can feel like a dolt, but a dolt with a functioning
> workbook!
>
> Thanks so much,
> jlc
>
>
> -- 
> JLC
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JLC's Profile: 
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28014
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=475213
> 


0
mail953 (171)
10/13/2005 3:38:12 AM
As I mentioned, I have this problem if charts are embedded as objects on
the summary sheet OR if they are separate sheets. NOW, I have each chart
as an embedded object in the summary sheet and all source data comes
from a single worksheet.

The series formula looks like this: ='All (summary)'!$C$28:$I$28

Summary sheet (1) cells are simple cell references to (2) single cells
that are also simple cell references to (3) (a) single cells OR (b)
single cells that contain a manual sum formula of cells from another
sheet: ='54th (d)'!F6+'54th (d)'!I6+'54th (d)'!L6+'54th (d)'!O6

I originally had this set up as multiple workbooks and had the same
problem. Now, all data is in one workbook on multiple sheets.

No VBA code is used. (I am just starting to learn VBA and am sure my
workbook would be far more elegant with its help.)

One note: Sometimes, if I change the chart type, the series appears.
This helps in the short term, but can't be maintained long term.

Please let me know if there's any more information needed.

I really appreciate your help.

-JLC


-- 
JLC
------------------------------------------------------------------------
JLC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28014
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=475213

0
10/13/2005 6:57:30 PM
Hi JLC,

Thanks for the clarification.

I see that you have () charachters in the sheet names - these should not 
cause a problem, but check that you do not have an apostrophe in any sheet 
name - that causes BIG headaches with formulas like ='54'th (d)'!F6

Other than that, I can't see what causes the behaviour you describe. Send me 
the workbook if all else fails.

Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net/


>
> As I mentioned, I have this problem if charts are embedded as objects on
> the summary sheet OR if they are separate sheets. NOW, I have each chart
> as an embedded object in the summary sheet and all source data comes
> from a single worksheet.
>
> The series formula looks like this: ='All (summary)'!$C$28:$I$28
>
> Summary sheet (1) cells are simple cell references to (2) single cells
> that are also simple cell references to (3) (a) single cells OR (b)
> single cells that contain a manual sum formula of cells from another
> sheet: ='54th (d)'!F6+'54th (d)'!I6+'54th (d)'!L6+'54th (d)'!O6
>
> I originally had this set up as multiple workbooks and had the same
> problem. Now, all data is in one workbook on multiple sheets.
>
> No VBA code is used. (I am just starting to learn VBA and am sure my
> workbook would be far more elegant with its help.)
>
> One note: Sometimes, if I change the chart type, the series appears.
> This helps in the short term, but can't be maintained long term.
>
> Please let me know if there's any more information needed.
>
> I really appreciate your help.
>
> -JLC
>
>
> -- 
> JLC
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JLC's Profile: 
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28014
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=475213
> 


0
mail953 (171)
10/14/2005 12:29:20 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Legend on Chart
I am updating chart that includes three years of data and want to add 2008. The data has transferred, but the legend shows 2007,2008,2006. How can I get 2008,2007,2006 in order in the legend? Change the order of the series. Double click on one series, and go to the Series Order tab. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Double L" <Double L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CAE4FE5-4390-4D48-BF68-CAA1CDA2BC65@microsoft.com... >I am updating char...

Demographic chart?
Hi, I need to create a demographic chart in Excel, but I can't find the proper chart type. Is there a suitable chart type? I've gone through all options I can think of for a regular bar chart. (In my world, a demographic chart is a bar chart with the values pointing in two different directions... Not very complicated, but Excel doesn't seem to agree with me!) Does anyone know of an adequate solution? BR - Aggie Hi, They are also known as Tornado charts or population pyramids. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/torna...

Control Source Format for rounding
I have a box that calculates discounts or allows me to enter a manual amount. The control source for it is :=IIF([Discount]<=0, [ManDisc], ([DisTx]+[DisNTx])). The last 2 fields handle taxable and non-taxable discounts. The fields (except for manual)are percentages. These work OK, but I need it to round to only 2 decimal places. Now when it is stored in the table, it sometimes has 3 decimal places which messes with the grand total at the end of the day. Any suggestions? Thanks! On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:04:02 -0700, David <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have ...

Publisher-How do I change calendars 04 to 05 without losing data?
I have a current document 12 calendars with data in each day. I am trying to change the calendars from 04 to 05 with losing the existing data. Is there a way the data can stay in the same spot and the dates change. I also want to keep the same layout I currently have. I have tried using calendar options but cannot get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Manually... You can try this, Expand your existing calendar by 12 months. On the toolbar, edit, office clipboard, this will give you 24 copied items you can collect. Copy your data, go to the next year, place your cursor where you...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers
I'm using a Line Chart With Markers tracking 4 data lines: Red with Circles Black with Squares Blue with Diamonds Yellow with Triangles The yellow with triangles is very light and doesn't show very well in my PP presentation. I would like to change the color of just that one line. How do I do that? Click on that series in the chart, and right click, format series. You should now be able to change the color of the series. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Bishop" wrote: > I'm using a Line Chart With Markers...

quick charting question for similar charts on multiple sheets
Hi, just wondering if there is a quick solution to my problem. I have several charts, all virtually identical except for the data values in them, and i have one chart per sheet, and about 100 sheets. The problem is that some charts are positioned slightly different on their respective sheets then others on other sheets, although some are identical from sheet to sheet aswell. Just wondering if there is a quick way to select them all, line them up identically on each sheet, with all the same size/formating etc.? Thanks. -- Boon8888 -----------------------------------------------------...

Charting/ Graph question
Hi all I'd like to visually display a table that contains the following table structure StaffName Software 1 Skill Level Software 2 Skill Level (10 software titles >) (around 50-60 people) What i'd like to is output a simple visual output that shows me how many people are at a particular level for the each software (but all on one chart). I imagined that it may be nice to see blobs based on the size of the number of staff at a particular skill level for the specific software. However i am not sure if this is the right way to represent this data. I've created a se...

Chart in Chart
Hi I currently using a 3 line chart, which is controlled by a scroll bar What I need is to have a smaller chart, but magnified of the visabl data for a period of days within the chart timeline. All I need to kno is how to add a addional line chart in and excisting chart. Hope you can assist Thie -- Thie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Thiem's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2747 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49068 Hi, You can embed charts within a chartsheet but y...

Debra Dalgleish-help with worksheet data entry
Hi Debra, I browsed your website and found this new data entry worksheet(http://contextures.com/xlForm02.html) which was very good and i showed my boss.He liked the idea of it and thus asked me to work on it.I managed to add a few more fields and it worked fine. I have a cell named "Documentation to support requirement" at B11 and its corresponding text box at D11.My problem now is that at D11, i need two kind of controls one is drop down list box for document type and another control is text box for document name.How do i achieve this? i need both of this control's answer to b...

Data summary
I have a 13 sheet report with each line a different date and each column different data, I want to puul date specific data to a summary sheet using date entry on the summary sheet ie. 04/10/10 = 04/10/10 on each line of the data sheets and I want to pull the data from column A,B,F,G I hope I have explained this clearly ...

How do I create a chart....
I would like to create a chart that counts the exact number of a specific name compared to other names. The names are in the same column but each cell may contains a differnt name and I would like to count how many times each name appears in the column and then compare them in a graph. try selecting the column (A)? <data><Filter><advanced filter> select unique values select a cell for the data to start (C1) hit enter inD1 enter =countif(A:A,C1) hit enter and copy down to the end of the C Column. "awright" wrote: > I would like to create a chart that counts ...

Format of data import from a database
I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter. Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to click in each cell to force the formatting to work? This spreadsheet as over 1500 rows of data. I get this every time I export data from either SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database. Any help or information is greatly apprecia...

link to file in article
-- -Nick Does anyone know how to add a link to a doc/pdf in a knowledge base article? I was able to add a link to a website and it would work fine in both the Service and the Workplace area. If I add a link to a doc, it would not be clickable, so i added the <ClickableUrl> tag around the <!CDATA[click <a href='file:\\company.com\shares\test.doc'>here</a>]]> and it work. It would open the doc, but only in the Service, not in the Workplace. If i view the html or the article from Workplace, it was translated to <a>here</a> rather than <a ...

A way to check who made a change to item
Is there a way to check who made a change to an item? I know how to check who made a change to inventory #s, but is there a way to see an item history for the item's information (ie changes made to price, description, ext description etc.)? No, there's no audit trail for property changes. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "The Comedian" <TheComedia...

charts: 1. link to a cell in chart titles, 2. custom chart template
hello, 1. how can i make a link to a cell in chart title, category axis & value axis? i'd like to know how to make a title like eg below: 'Average revenues [=B2], [=B3]' <- in line below (smaller font size than in line above) 2. how can i make a my own chart (custom type) by making a own template (how to make a template, and how to implement it to excel custom types charts) i am interested in making types similar denkin diagram (similar to radar type) or leontief branch flow matrix (similar to x-y plot with columns and rows with second x axis and second y axis) is there a...

Chart items moving around
Hi everybody! I have posted this before but I never got any replies so I did some testing myself. I I want to share what I have found out with you and it would be great to hear if someone else recognizes this. Background: I have a number of embedded charts on a scorecard sheet that gets updated from several sources. I run this scorecard for different business units, take pictures of the scorecards and put in another Excel file that I later make a PDF of. Problem: After running this a few times, I find that my chart legends have moved around a bit and that some plot areas have been resi...

Simple State Diagram flow chart in Visio?
I am trying to make a very simple State Chart Diagram in Visio. I'm not sure if I should just use the basic flow chart or not, as I'm not familar with UML. I simply want to describe a software program that will move two one of four "states" based on some conditions, then loop back around. I am not opposed to just making a flow chart but was hoping to make it look a little more "professional" using a State Diagram. The examples seem rather complicated, I don't want to have to define variables and all that using UML, I just want to show the four "states...

sort FUNCTION SPLITS DATA INTO TWO GROUPS
I'm using Excel '97. I had two versions of a spreadsheet I was using, and copied several lines of data from one and pasted them into the other. Now, when I sort the larger of the two the data separates into two groups. The pasted data (or newly added data) sorts first, and then the original material sorts as a second group. I've tried reformatting the columns, etc. and an stumped. Any ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Rick assuming the data you are sorting on is numeric, it sounds as though one set of data is truly numeric data and the other is see...

Media player changes Wave volume control
I am using Windows XP and every time I play a video in Windows Media Player, it changes Wave Volume Control, not the main volume, wave volume. At first I could not figure out why the volume on my computer was so low even when the main volume was set high. Not until I double clicked on speaker icon on taskbar, I noticed wave volume was very low. Every time I play a movie, wave volume gets changed back to very low. I could understand it adjusting main volume for loud movies, but why wave, not main volume? How do I prevent Media Player from changing it? And Windows Media Player is the only one th...

Combination of stock chart and line chart
Dose anyone know how to plot a stock chart and a line chart together in combination ? I tried but can't seem to do it, is it possible in Excel ? One way is stock chart with open, high, low and close plus volume but I need to plot 2 other lines. Thanks, Hiromichi Hiromichi - I have written an explanation on this web page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ hwatari wrote: > Dose anyone know how to plot a stock chart and a...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007
I'm looking to plot multiple formulas on a single chart, and came across a thread from 8/12/2005 for earlier versions of Excel for a single function, which causes errors when recreated in 2007. Error is A Formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and cell reference I presume its due to changes in 2007, and possibly the Evaluate formula as I cant find it listed in 2007. Is there a new technique that avoids the error? Thanks Very Much for any help. Kris In column A we have...

Can't change pt. size in a 3-D Format Chart
For some reason, I am not able to change the width and height point sizes when I am trying to apply 3-D formatting to a chart in Excel. I try to type the numbers in, but the pt size just defaults back to 0. My husband thought it may have been a stuck number key somewhere, so I turned the computer off and rebooted. No change. Any ideas? Thanks! Point sizes of the whole chart? What's wrong with a good old 2D chart? You won't have this kind of problem, and you won't distort the data you're plotting, either. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services,...

Cascading Combos in Data Access Page [DAP]
In DAP, can I have 1 control [courses] affect other 2 controls [course_date_1st_choice] and [course_date_2nd_choice]. I usually do this in Form by using Select Case but i need to know how i can manage to do it in DAP. Any help please? It's very complicated to do that in DAP. You should post in the official DAP newsgroup but this newsgroup is practically dead because very few people are still using them but Ken Snell is still often answering questions there. By looking at an old DAP file that I have here, I see that for doing this, I was storing the value of the combo...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

How to import data from Excel that has password protected shee?
I used the Spreadsheettransfer but it did not work. thanks! What did not work about it? -- Milton Purdy ACCESS State of Arkansas "Boon" wrote: > I used the Spreadsheettransfer but it did not work. > > thanks! > > > . > this did not work... I have a vba code that will import the data from the excel file. I open the excel file,import it and close it. But I think I have the problem with closing it.The VBA works fine, but when I reopen the excel file from the file inself, it says something about the Read Only, Notify...... ...