Charting table data beginning with zero

I have a large mailling list table in Word.  I am trying
to convert it to Access, but have had trouble with
importing the data - a lot is corrupted in the
translation. A friend suggested pasting it into Excel
first and then converting.  This seems to work very well
except for the Postal Code column.  When the postal codes
begin with zero, Excel is dropping the zero in the
pasting operation and will not accept it even if I
manually record it.  I tried going into
tools>options>error checking>text to numbers (both on and
off) but this doesn't seem to help.  Any help is
tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance
0
anonymous (74719)

Type an apostrophe first, like '01234. This tells Excel to treat the
cell contents as text.

You could also use a custom number format of 00000 (five zeros), and the
value within the cell would retain its numerical character. But I
suspect this might not survive the export.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Marilyn wrote:

> I have a large mailling list table in Word.  I am trying
> to convert it to Access, but have had trouble with
> importing the data - a lot is corrupted in the
> translation. A friend suggested pasting it into Excel
> first and then converting.  This seems to work very well
> except for the Postal Code column.  When the postal codes
> begin with zero, Excel is dropping the zero in the
> pasting operation and will not accept it even if I
> manually record it.  I tried going into
> tools>options>error checking>text to numbers (both on and
> off) but this doesn't seem to help.  Any help is
> tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance

0
DOjonNOT (619)
6/9/2004 12:16:04 AM
What happens when using Excel, you select the zipcode column, and go to
Format/Cells/Special/Zipcode?

--Jim

"Jon Peltier" <DOjonNOT@SPAMpeltiertechME.com> wrote in message
> Type an apostrophe first, like '01234. This tells Excel to treat the
> cell contents as text.
>
> You could also use a custom number format of 00000 (five zeros), and the
> value within the cell would retain its numerical character. But I
> suspect this might not survive the export.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> Marilyn wrote:
>
> > I have a large mailling list table in Word.  I am trying
> > to convert it to Access, but have had trouble with
> > importing the data - a lot is corrupted in the
> > translation. A friend suggested pasting it into Excel
> > first and then converting.  This seems to work very well
> > except for the Postal Code column.  When the postal codes
> > begin with zero, Excel is dropping the zero in the
> > pasting operation and will not accept it even if I
> > manually record it.  I tried going into
> > tools>options>error checking>text to numbers (both on and
> > off) but this doesn't seem to help.  Any help is
> > tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance

I forgot about those special formats. I wonder if they survive the trip
to Access.

- Jon
-------

Spike9458 wrote:
> What happens when using Excel, you select the zipcode column, and go to
> Format/Cells/Special/Zipcode?
>
> --Jim
>
> "Jon Peltier" <DOjonNOT@SPAMpeltiertechME.com> wrote in message
>
>>Type an apostrophe first, like '01234. This tells Excel to treat the
>>cell contents as text.
>>
>>You could also use a custom number format of 00000 (five zeros), and the
>>value within the cell would retain its numerical character. But I
>>suspect this might not survive the export.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>
>>Marilyn wrote:
>>

>>>I have a large mailling list table in Word.  I am trying
>>>to convert it to Access, but have had trouble with
>>>importing the data - a lot is corrupted in the
>>>translation. A friend suggested pasting it into Excel
>>>first and then converting.  This seems to work very well
>>>except for the Postal Code column.  When the postal codes
>>>begin with zero, Excel is dropping the zero in the
>>>pasting operation and will not accept it even if I
>>>manually record it.  I tried going into
>>>tools>options>error checking>text to numbers (both on and
>>>off) but this doesn't seem to help.  Any help is
>>>tremendously appreciated. Thanks in advance

0
DOjonNOT (619)

Legend on Chart

Pivot Table Not Refreshing Properly?
After creating a PivotTable, I discovered that there were several errors in the underlying data which caused improper values to show up in the PivotTable field drop-down lists. I have since re-generated the underlying data and replaced it in the Excel workbook. However, upon "refreshing" the PivotTable against the new data, I find that the 'improper values' still show up in the drop-down lists despite the fact that they no longer exist in the data! How can I remove the bad values from the drop-down lists without entirely rebuilding the PivotTable? Thank you for any help! ...

Stop Insert Row modifying formula data
I have a worksheet that grabs stock information via web queries. I always writes today�s information at the top of the page and to do thi it I insert a row using VBA and set the cells to the correct values. The problem is that I have a number of other worksheets using the dat from this stock information worksheet via lookups. And the insert ro automatically alters their formulas from something like this: =VLOOKUP(A3,'Historical Funds'!$B$4:$C$3000,2,FALSE) To this =VLOOKUP(A3,'Historical Funds'!$B$5:$C$3001,2,FALSE) Which causes a problem as then all my lookups miss the top...

Demographic chart?

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Charting/ Graph question

Correct Currency Data Type and Validation Coding
Any suggestions are so greatly appreciated as I am really really stuck Using Access 2003 on XP OS My Access and VBA experience is limited. I have a several fields that I am checking for validation as currency. I have two questions 1) what is the best data type for currency. Currently I am using Table Data Type = Number. (I have tried other types with no luck) Field Size = Single Format=Currency. On the form I am formating to currency. 2) I want to be able to check for whole numbers and for those that are entered with a decimal. Currently I am using the below. Pri...

Table with FIFO Balances
Can anyone tell me which table holds FIFO balances in it? Thanks, Jocelyn Jocelyn, IV00102 has the quantities but I suspect your looking for IV10200 which has the history and the current FIFO layers. More info here: http://msdynamicsgp.blogspot.com/2007/09/weekly-dynamic-inventory-value-via-sql.html Mark (DynamicAccounting.net) http://www.dynamicaccounting.net On Oct 1, 3:44 pm, Jocelyn <Joce...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me which table holds FIFO balances in it? > > Thanks, > Jocelyn ...

Chart in Chart

Debra Dalgleish-help with worksheet data entry
Hi Debra, I browsed your website and found this new data entry worksheet(http://contextures.com/xlForm02.html) which was very good and i showed my boss.He liked the idea of it and thus asked me to work on it.I managed to add a few more fields and it worked fine. I have a cell named "Documentation to support requirement" at B11 and its corresponding text box at D11.My problem now is that at D11, i need two kind of controls one is drop down list box for document type and another control is text box for document name.How do i achieve this? i need both of this control's answer to b...

Data summary
I have a 13 sheet report with each line a different date and each column different data, I want to puul date specific data to a summary sheet using date entry on the summary sheet ie. 04/10/10 = 04/10/10 on each line of the data sheets and I want to pull the data from column A,B,F,G I hope I have explained this clearly ...

How do I create a chart....

Format of data import from a database
I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter. Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to click in each cell to force the formatting to work? This spreadsheet as over 1500 rows of data. I get this every time I export data from either SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database. Any help or information is greatly apprecia...

Chart items moving around

Default pivot table function
Is there any way of having the default pivot table function come up as SUM rather than COUNT? I use them a lot, and it gets annoying to have to change it 99% of the time! TIA Hi AFAIK you can't change this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mike Boardman wrote: > Is there any way of having the default pivot table function come up > as SUM rather than COUNT? > > I use them a lot, and it gets annoying to have to change it 99% of > the time! > > TIA Frank Thanks for that - I had a horrible feeling it might not be the case! It does rather beg the quest...

sort FUNCTION SPLITS DATA INTO TWO GROUPS
I'm using Excel '97. I had two versions of a spreadsheet I was using, and copied several lines of data from one and pasted them into the other. Now, when I sort the larger of the two the data separates into two groups. The pasted data (or newly added data) sorts first, and then the original material sorts as a second group. I've tried reformatting the columns, etc. and an stumped. Any ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Rick assuming the data you are sorting on is numeric, it sounds as though one set of data is truly numeric data and the other is see...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

Cascading Combos in Data Access Page [DAP]
In DAP, can I have 1 control [courses] affect other 2 controls [course_date_1st_choice] and [course_date_2nd_choice]. I usually do this in Form by using Select Case but i need to know how i can manage to do it in DAP. Any help please? It's very complicated to do that in DAP. You should post in the official DAP newsgroup but this newsgroup is practically dead because very few people are still using them but Ken Snell is still often answering questions there. By looking at an old DAP file that I have here, I see that for doing this, I was storing the value of the combo...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...