Charting non-contiguous data

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to create a dynamic line chart using non-contiguous data points.

Your assistance is appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
0
anonymous (74721)

I should mention that the non-contiguous data is in the one column.
0
anonymous (74721)
1/2/2004 4:01:20 AM
Neal -

Select the points, holding Ctrl while selecting points after the first
one is selected. Now run the chart wizard and make your chart.

If you have too many points, the chart series formula gets too long,
however, and Excel chokes on it. You're only allowed about 255
characters each for the X and Y part of the formula.  Here's what I
mean. A series formula for a chart with a contiguous set of cells looks
like this:

=SERIES(,,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$4,1)

A chart of every other cell has a formula that looks like this:

=SERIES(,,(Sheet1!$B$2,Sheet1!$B$4,Sheet1!$B$6,Sheet1!$B$8,Sheet1!$B$10,Sheet1!$B$12,Sheet1!$B$14,Sheet1!$B$16,Sheet1!$B$18,Sheet1!$B$20,Sheet1!$B$22,Sheet1!$B$24,Sheet1!$B$26,Sheet1!$B$28,Sheet1!$B$30,Sheet1!$B$32,Sheet1!$B$34),1)

If the sheet name is longer, or if you add more points, the chart will
not be able to show all the points. In this case, you will have to
copy-paste the data, or use formulas, to get the data into a contiguous
range.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
_______

NEal wrote:

> I should mention that the non-contiguous data is in the one column.

0
jonNOSPAM (60)

Multivari Chart
I am looking to learn how to create a "Multivari" chart in Excel. Can anyone help me with the steps to create one? I am having troube making the vertical stack of individual data points across groupings. Thanks, Tony Not sure what a multivari chart is, but as a guess try http://www.bmsltd.ie/Excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charting and see FunChrt4.zip -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Microsoft MVP -- Excel In article <106uvtjim536nb4@corp.supernews.com>, orzechow@execpc.com says... > I am looking to learn how to create a "Multivari" chart in Excel. C...

data label color
Hi, I use within a single chart same coloring of the data series as for data labels. And it works just fine. Unfortunately, when I copy and paste the chart to Word document data lebels become black no mather which kind of Special paste I use (except for the MS Excel chart object). Is there a way to avoid this. ...

Access dB_MSCRM data and Get filteredfieldname
In CRM 3.0 I have attached the NAME_MSCRM data to excel however when I open the data drop down windows all the available fields start with filteredxxxxxxxxxxxx, with xxxxxxxxxxx being account, address(1) etc… so its giving me the field names with “filtered” on the front. What/Why is this and how can I see/access the data as I did in 1.2 -- Darryl - dh@mtccrm.com -www.mtccrm.com - Only Microsoft CRM CRM 3.0 uses views to enforce data security. These views are all prepended with the word Filtered. Using these views will make sure that CRM users only see records they have permission to se...

creating an Excel chart using a map of a country?
How can I create an Excel chart using an image of a country? I would like to color states depending on certain results. Thanks! ...

Stack Bar Charts
I have yearly information that I would like to graph in a stacked bar chart. I have years 2005 to present Two companies I am comparing with two variables for each company each year. I would like to have the stack bar chart by year reflect the stack of Co A vs Co B on variable 1 + 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. You want a clustered-stacked chart: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-bar-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sean wrote: > ...

chart gaps
i'm looking for a function that i can use to put gaps in my chart w/ having to leave the cell empty. currently, the formula i have in eac cell is =IF(B6>B5,B6,NA()). my problem is, when i make the chart Excel simply doesn't show a plot point at that point and draws the lin to the next point in which a cell shows a value instead of "#N/A". want it to not draw the line, but leave a gap and only plot the poin as if i had left the cell blank. is this possible? thanks much, stephen 'cross-posted.' (http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=278142 -- medicenpri...

Dynamic chart generation: Run time Error '1004: Method 'Cells' of object'_Global' fai
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, I am trying to generate a chart with multiple series. The number o series is not fixed and can be any number. I recorded a macro and the modified the code. 'Counter' refers to the number of the series and have referenced it in a worksheet. I am getting the error in the lin that is bold. Thank you for your help. The code is as follows: Dim Counter As Integer Dim i As Integer Sheets("With TC").Select Counter = Cells(38, 13).Value ActiveChart.ChartType = xlLine With Sheets("VP_Wit...

changing the axis fonts of charts
Hello all! Can anyone help write a macro that would change the size o charts' axis fonts, based on the charts that I select? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried recording one when you did it manually? If you can't generalize it, post the code that you came up with and I bet you get a better response. "cdegar01 <" wrote: > > Hello all! Can anyone help write a macro that would change the size of > charts' axis fonts, based on the charts that I select? > > Thanks! > > --- > Message posted from http://ww...

Highlight Data Points that change in Graph
Hi all Is it possible to highlight data points that change slope in Excel 2003 and if so how. Richard ...

how to change data in worksheet in text without confirming each s.
how to change data in worksheet in text without confirming each single cell with F2 One way to try: Select the column Click Data > Text to Columns > Finish -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Ronald" <Ronald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A237153C-3A76-4F04-BA0E-C4555F255E4C@microsoft.com... > how to change data in worksheet in text without confirming each single cell > with F2 ...

can i use filters to compare data instead of vlookup?
I have to compare membership lists to identify if customers belong to certain groups. Currently, I have been using Vlookup but I notice that there are too many nuisances. Could I use a filter to compare two membership lists and give me a more accurate answer? Maybe try setting up a new sheet with List1, and entering a new column indicating List1 in each row......then adding List 2 at the bottom and entering List2 in the new column for each row in that section............then do Data > Filter > AutoFilter and check the arrows at the tops of the columns to filter from there...........

I want chart source data to be relative references, not absolute.
Everytime I try to enter the chart source data as a relative reference, Excel automatically adds the dollar signs to make the references absolute. I have 12 groups of columns repeating data above the graphs. (The rows and the columns are identical, except for the data entered in the variable cells.) If the cell source data were relative, I could copy the original chart over 11 times and be done. Since it is not, I have to go in each chart and manually edit the source data to adjust the column references. This is a pain. Also, if we delete or add any groups of column data, which we...

How can 2 people add data to the same Excel file at the same time
Is there a way to have more than 1 person keying into a excel sheet at the same time? See this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/workbook_sharing_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Dough50" <Dough50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED9B526A-5470-4452-8067-2C20D4FF63C1@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have more than 1 person keying into a excel sheet at the > same time? ...

Exchange 2003
Italy User (please help me) After I reinstall IIS and Exchange 2003 + sp2 in my server SBS 2003 + SP1 when download email with microsoft pop3 connetor the email are deleted from ISP but not delivery on mailbox Event id: 6015 Origine: MSExchangeTransport Il classificatore sta inviando rapporti di mancato recapito a un destinatario con indirizzo SMTP:mspop3connector.<Account>@<Dominio>.local con codice motivo 0x80070002 (Impossibile trovare il file specificato.). AND Event id: 3028 Origine: MSExchangeTransport Rapporto di mancato recapito con codice di stato 5.1.1 generato pe...

chart not updating
I have a pivot table with a drop down that lists division. Data presented is dependent upon which division I select. Next I have cells referenced to the same cells in my pivot table. My reason is that a pivot chart is not as flexible as a chart based on a normal table. Anyway, my chart is made with those cells as the source. The cells update based upon what division I selected in my pivot table drop down. (Same data in both places: independent table and pivot table). However, my chart is not updating as it should. It retains the first division's information. It worked ini...

How do you entr data in a form (scanned) document?
I have a printed form I need to fill out by entering data. How do I ues Word to do so? I can scan the form to creat a (picture) document. How do I enter data in this document (by overlay) to enable printing it with entered data? You could use text boxes for your info. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Filling in preprinted forms" <Filling in preprinted forms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:659EAF90-C3E9-4C24-BDCC-11DAB1A95A87@microsoft.com... >I have a printe...

chart dates and times (excel 2007)
Hi All, I have 2 columns of data. One is a series of dates. The second is a series of times when a particular event happened on that date. To make it troublesome on a few of the dates the event didn't happen. I have been asked to create a chart (line) with dates on x-axis and event times on y-axis where the y-axis is measured off at 15 minute intervals. To be frank I didn't even know where to begin. I tried selecting both columns and then INSERT a Line chart but it gave me two horizontal lines parallel to each other with the first line running along the x-axis and that too starti...

Which best chart for income?
What kind of chart (for example, a bar graph, line graph, or pictograph [e.g., pie chart]) would be good for displaying Patty's income and why? Why would displaying her income in a chart be good for Patty? How will having a chart for her company's income be looked at by the bank? "EqualacornLady" wrote > What kind of chart (for example, a bar graph, line graph, or pictograph > [e.g., pie chart]) would be good for displaying Patty's income and why? > Why would displaying her income in a chart be good for Patty? How will > having a chart for her comp...

External data refresh timeout
Hello, I use Excel to collect external data and do some calculations. There are more than 50 queries running. Sometimes I get the message "A time-out occured while..." with a "OK" click box when 1 of the queries fails (busy network, whatever). The problem is that this meassage box requires someone to click "OK" before the sheet will carry on with the other queries and calculations. The whole sheet is effectively frozen and someone isnt always there to click "OK". Is there a way of preventing these from appearing in the 1st place or automatically acceptin...

Avoid Prompt to Save for Chart
BACKGROUND: I call a chart from an Access database. The chart tha gets its data from from the Access database using an ODBC connectio and a database query. I have the External Data Range Properties set t "Refresh Data on File Open". This gets the current data for the char from the database when opened. PROBLEM: When users close the chart after viewing or printing, the are prompted to save because the data changes when refreshed. Th chart does not need to be saved since the data is refreshed every tim it is opened. The users are not very computer literate are anoyed b this pro...

Changing font size in data validation drop-down lists
In Excel 2003, I created the value list on a separate worksheet and labled the range so I could use it in the data validation wizard on a different worksheet. The list is working fine; however, the font size in the drop-down list is too small to comfortably read. So far, I have tried: Making the font in the list larger. Formatting larger font size in the active cell with the drop-down button And, creating the list on the same worksheet. All three remedies have not increased the size of the font in the drop-down list. Suggestions are welcome. Great Optimism, Dutch Driver There is n...

Taxable versus Non-taxable items
We understand the basics of when sales taxes are computed. For example, an Inventory Item may be marked as Taxable, Non-Taxable, or Based on Customer. If we choose Based on Customer, then it uses the tax schedule defined for the Ship-To address of that customer. Here's the problem: Item A IS TAXABLE for customer 1 in Colorado, but Item A IS NOT TAXABLE for Customer 2 in Georgia. BUT: Customer 2 is not necessarily a non-taxable customer. That is, SOME items ARE taxable for Customer 2. SIMILARLY: Customer 1 is not necessarily a taxable customer. that is, SOME items are NOT taxable ...

Strange Problem with Chart and Plot Visible Cells Option
I'm deslecting the "Plot visible cells only" option on some charts in order to display a chart while hiding the data. It works well except for one case. On one chart when I deselect this option, Excel adds some additional series' to my chart and also changes the range of my X axis labels. Does anyone have a clue about this? I'm totally stumped. Note that on all my charts I've using the Offset and CountA functions to create dynamic charts that automatically update the chart when new data is added. Thanks very much. Marcus Marcus - If your series are in columns...

Moving Palm Desktop data to outlook
I have a new HP Ipaq which only runs Outlook for calendar and contact information. All of my calendar and contacts are in Palm Desktop software. I can move through export files, the contact information, but I cannot find a way to export from Palm and import to outlook, the calendar information. Does anyone have a solution, software utility or other method to move all of the calendar information from Palm desktop to Outlook Thanks JEV jverzella@comcast.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a new HP Ipaq which only runs Outlook for calendar > and contact ...

Help on displaying recession periods in a financial/ stock chart
Using excel version (10.6501.6626)sp3 How do you shade the chart background to show economic recession periods in a financial/ stock chart. I've fiddled with the drawing function-rectangle box, transparency, etc- but it isn't very satisfactory since it corrupts the column/ line colors and usually washes out when printed. So that doesn't appear to be the solution. And after checking thru Microsoft help and the discussion group messages I haven't found a message addressing my problem. Since we see charts all the time with the recession periods shown I know there is a way to acco...