Charting Data Series vs. Data Points?

If I am trying to chart a single row of data appearing in 600 columns, is
this data in 600 data points, which is chartable, or is it 600 series, which
is not chartable?  I have divided the data between three worksheets due to
worksheet limitations of 256 columns, but I have not been able to create a
single chart line for data extending over the three worksheets.
0
TommyZ (4)

Tommy wrote  on Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:31:06 -0800:

 TZ> If I am trying to chart a single row of data appearing in
 TZ> 600 columns, is this data in 600 data points, which is
 TZ> chartable, or is it 600 series, which is not chartable?  I
 TZ> have divided the data between three worksheets due to
 TZ> worksheet limitations of 256 columns, but I have not been
 TZ> able to create a single chart line for data extending over
 TZ> the three worksheets.

Have you tried the Charting Wizard? One question is whether the
data is in rows or columns. Again, as I mentioned on another
thread, you might want to ask yourself what is served by
plotting so many points. A graph is usually a depiction rather
than a *precise* source of information.

 James Silverton.

I don't know of any way to plot a noncontiguous range of cells. Obviously,
this is necessarily the case here if you insist on keeping these data in
columns instead of rows (single column). It is also not possible to resort to
an array in lieu of a range because in such case the chart series formula
must list each element in the array and will run out of capacity. Therefore,
the only solution IMHO is to instead plot a contiguous helper range (on a
hidden sheet if you like) that transposes these column data into rows in a
single column. Formulas in the helper range would point to the noncontiguous
ranges. Alternatively, populate the helper range by macro.

Regards,
Greg

"Tommy Z." wrote:

> If I am trying to chart a single row of data appearing in 600 columns, is
> this data in 600 data points, which is chartable, or is it 600 series, which
> is not chartable?  I have divided the data between three worksheets due to
> worksheet limitations of 256 columns, but I have not been able to create a
> single chart line for data extending over the three worksheets.
0
GregWilson (42)
11/29/2005 7:46:20 PM
That's very helpful information.  So I can simply put these 600 data points
into one continuous list of 600 rows and chart from there with no problem.  I
wish I had thought of that.

"Greg Wilson" wrote:

> I don't know of any way to plot a noncontiguous range of cells. Obviously,
> this is necessarily the case here if you insist on keeping these data in
> columns instead of rows (single column). It is also not possible to resort to
> an array in lieu of a range because in such case the chart series formula
> must list each element in the array and will run out of capacity. Therefore,
> the only solution IMHO is to instead plot a contiguous helper range (on a
> hidden sheet if you like) that transposes these column data into rows in a
> single column. Formulas in the helper range would point to the noncontiguous
> ranges. Alternatively, populate the helper range by macro.
>
> Regards,
> Greg
>

> "Tommy Z." wrote:
>
> > If I am trying to chart a single row of data appearing in 600 columns, is
> > this data in 600 data points, which is chartable, or is it 600 series, which
> > is not chartable?  I have divided the data between three worksheets due to
> > worksheet limitations of 256 columns, but I have not been able to create a
> > single chart line for data extending over the three worksheets.
0
TommyZ (4)
11/29/2005 11:18:01 PM
Thanks.  I will simply put the 600 data points into one column instead of in
two noncontiguous rows on two worksheets.  An investment book I have usefully
charts monthly investment data from 1959 through 2005, which is 46 years and
therefore 552 monthly data points.  Going to 46 annual data points would hide
intra-year changes.  I suppose the other option is to cover the same period
with three charts of about 15 years each.

"James Silverton" wrote:

> Tommy wrote  on Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:31:06 -0800:
>
>  TZ> If I am trying to chart a single row of data appearing in
>  TZ> 600 columns, is this data in 600 data points, which is
>  TZ> chartable, or is it 600 series, which is not chartable?  I
>  TZ> have divided the data between three worksheets due to
>  TZ> worksheet limitations of 256 columns, but I have not been
>  TZ> able to create a single chart line for data extending over
>  TZ> the three worksheets.
>
> Have you tried the Charting Wizard? One question is whether the
> data is in rows or columns. Again, as I mentioned on another
> thread, you might want to ask yourself what is served by
> plotting so many points. A graph is usually a depiction rather
> than a *precise* source of information.
>
>  James Silverton.

0
TommyZ (4)

Outlook today pointing to a different calendar ?
My office caldenar file is actually on a separate networked drive that others have access to and not on my PC. Is there a way to get Outlook Today to point to that calendar instead of the default one, thereby showing my true calendar for the day ? ...

Legend on Chart

Demographic chart?

Publisher-How do I change calendars 04 to 05 without losing data?
I have a current document 12 calendars with data in each day. I am trying to change the calendars from 04 to 05 with losing the existing data. Is there a way the data can stay in the same spot and the dates change. I also want to keep the same layout I currently have. I have tried using calendar options but cannot get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Manually... You can try this, Expand your existing calendar by 12 months. On the toolbar, edit, office clipboard, this will give you 24 copied items you can collect. Copy your data, go to the next year, place your cursor where you...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

RE: Excell VS Office
Do they work in the same manner. I need something that will help me with putting inventory on and able to transfer information to a website. Will Office work the same as Excell? The company I am dealing with says to use Excell unless I have something that would be compatiable as Excell. Please help. Thanks. Lets just assume that you are talking about the latest versions currently available, Microsoft Excel 2003 and Microsoft Office 2003 Editions. For the Microsoft Office suite, lets just use Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003. You are comparing the stand alone version of Microsoft ...

Charting/ Graph question

Debra Dalgleish-help with worksheet data entry
Hi Debra, I browsed your website and found this new data entry worksheet(http://contextures.com/xlForm02.html) which was very good and i showed my boss.He liked the idea of it and thus asked me to work on it.I managed to add a few more fields and it worked fine. I have a cell named "Documentation to support requirement" at B11 and its corresponding text box at D11.My problem now is that at D11, i need two kind of controls one is drop down list box for document type and another control is text box for document name.How do i achieve this? i need both of this control's answer to b...

Chart in Chart

Data summary
I have a 13 sheet report with each line a different date and each column different data, I want to puul date specific data to a summary sheet using date entry on the summary sheet ie. 04/10/10 = 04/10/10 on each line of the data sheets and I want to pull the data from column A,B,F,G I hope I have explained this clearly ...

How do I create a chart....

Format of data import from a database
I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter. Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to click in each cell to force the formatting to work? This spreadsheet as over 1500 rows of data. I get this every time I export data from either SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database. Any help or information is greatly apprecia...

Show summerised data
Hi all I'm using vb.net 2005. I have an app with a Form containing a Tab control with 5 pages. 1 page records time booked to a particular job using a DataGridView control. All works OK. The question, how do I place on the same Tab as the DataGridView a summary of hours recorded. I have a Group By query with a Sum function that summerises the hours by job category in the Hours TableAdaptor. Its being able to display query results on the Tab that I can't do. Guidance most welcome. TIA johnb ...

Chart items moving around

sort FUNCTION SPLITS DATA INTO TWO GROUPS
I'm using Excel '97. I had two versions of a spreadsheet I was using, and copied several lines of data from one and pasted them into the other. Now, when I sort the larger of the two the data separates into two groups. The pasted data (or newly added data) sorts first, and then the original material sorts as a second group. I've tried reformatting the columns, etc. and an stumped. Any ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Rick assuming the data you are sorting on is numeric, it sounds as though one set of data is truly numeric data and the other is see...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

Cascading Combos in Data Access Page [DAP]
In DAP, can I have 1 control [courses] affect other 2 controls [course_date_1st_choice] and [course_date_2nd_choice]. I usually do this in Form by using Select Case but i need to know how i can manage to do it in DAP. Any help please? It's very complicated to do that in DAP. You should post in the official DAP newsgroup but this newsgroup is practically dead because very few people are still using them but Ken Snell is still often answering questions there. By looking at an old DAP file that I have here, I see that for doing this, I was storing the value of the combo...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

Finance problem
Hi, I have worked through about half of this problem, but am now stuck, an would be very grateful for any help. This involves retrieving data fro a long list of shares and prices based on inputs of company code an date. References refer to attached sheet.The unusual date formatting i because I am from England. I have data in three columns. In column A a company code (eg. uu), in a date (eg. 23/06/2004), and in C a price (eg. 23) In F1 input of company code, in F2 input of date. When BOTH thes inputs match in the SAME row in columns A and B respectively, I want t return that row number an...

How to import data from Excel that has password protected shee?
I used the Spreadsheettransfer but it did not work. thanks! What did not work about it? -- Milton Purdy ACCESS State of Arkansas "Boon" wrote: > I used the Spreadsheettransfer but it did not work. > > thanks! > > > . > this did not work... I have a vba code that will import the data from the excel file. I open the excel file,import it and close it. But I think I have the problem with closing it.The VBA works fine, but when I reopen the excel file from the file inself, it says something about the Read Only, Notify...... ...