chart with date/time values

Hi,
I would to realize with excel an X/Y line diagram where on the X axis I
would put a date/time value.
There is anyone that know how to do this?
We suppose of having to represent these data
X                                               Y
01/05/2004 10.00                       1
01/05/2004 10.30                       2
01/05/2004 18.00                       3

I  Succeed to correctly make the diagram but the space between the values of
X axis is equal for all values although the distances between values are not
the same (30 minutes, 8 hours etc). There is anyone that can help me?
Thank you

If Excel understands your date/time as a value, then your chart should
reflect the duration between points. I don't know what your regional
settings are, and whether a period is interpreted as a time separator.
On my computer, I enter 10:00 for ten o'clock in the morning. If Excel
does not recognize 10.00 as 10:00, it will consider the entire field as
a text value, and it will assume they are not numeric, and it will use
hidden values of 1, 2, 3 for the data.

If you have made a LINE chart instead of a SCATTER chart, one of two
things can go wrong. One is that the date and time are recognized as
date and time, and being all on the same day, Excel depicts the points
on a vertical line. That's just how Excel does times on a line chart.

The other problem with a line chart is that it might simply interpret
the date-time values as category labels, as in the scatter chart above
that used 1, 2, 3.

So the important points are: make sure Excel knows it's a date and time,
and make sure it is in fact a scatter chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Gaetano D'Aquila wrote:

> Hi,
> I would to realize with excel an X/Y line diagram where on the X axis I
> would put a date/time value.
> There is anyone that know how to do this?
> We suppose of having to represent these data
> X                                               Y
> 01/05/2004 10.00                       1
> 01/05/2004 10.30                       2
> 01/05/2004 18.00                       3
>
> I  Succeed to correctly make the diagram but the space between the values of
> X axis is equal for all values although the distances between values are not
> the same (30 minutes, 8 hours etc). There is anyone that can help me?
> Thank you

DOjonNOT (619)
5/4/2004 4:52:43 PM
Hi Jon,
In the meanwhile I have see your web-site and I read that excel considerate
the date/time value as an integer without considerating hours (on a
date-time axis). This is my problem!!!
Does not exist some method in order to make so that Excel recognizes the
hours?

Thank you

"Jon Peltier" <DOjonNOT@SPAMpeltiertechME.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> If Excel understands your date/time as a value, then your chart should
> reflect the duration between points. I don't know what your regional
> settings are, and whether a period is interpreted as a time separator.
> On my computer, I enter 10:00 for ten o'clock in the morning. If Excel
> does not recognize 10.00 as 10:00, it will consider the entire field as
> a text value, and it will assume they are not numeric, and it will use
> hidden values of 1, 2, 3 for the data.
>
> If you have made a LINE chart instead of a SCATTER chart, one of two
> things can go wrong. One is that the date and time are recognized as
> date and time, and being all on the same day, Excel depicts the points
> on a vertical line. That's just how Excel does times on a line chart.
>
> The other problem with a line chart is that it might simply interpret
> the date-time values as category labels, as in the scatter chart above
> that used 1, 2, 3.
>
> So the important points are: make sure Excel knows it's a date and time,
> and make sure it is in fact a scatter chart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> Gaetano D'Aquila wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I would to realize with excel an X/Y line diagram where on the X axis I
> > would put a date/time value.
> > There is anyone that know how to do this?
> > We suppose of having to represent these data
> > X                                               Y
> > 01/05/2004 10.00                       1
> > 01/05/2004 10.30                       2
> > 01/05/2004 18.00                       3
> >
> > I  Succeed to correctly make the diagram but the space between the
values of
> > X axis is equal for all values although the distances between values are
not
> > the same (30 minutes, 8 hours etc). There is anyone that can help me?
> > Thank you

Gaetano -

That is a problem, and it is not obvious, as you have proved. You can
show the complete date-time values (integer plus fraction) if you make
an XY Scatter chart instead of a Line chart. The difference between them
is not in formatting: you can have a line or no line, markers or no
markers, in either chart type. The difference is in the treatment of X
Values.

When scaling the X axis, you need to put the appropriate values of date
and time in the min, max, and spacing entry boxes in the Scale tab.
However, if you don't know offhand that 5/5/2004 8:00 (the approximate
time that I'm writing this) is known by Excel as 38112.33333, simply
enter 5/5/2004 8:00. Excel will convert this to 38112.33333
automagically. For the spacing values, enter hours and minutes like this
2:00 (for a two hour tick spacing).

- Jon
-------

Gaetano D'Aquila wrote:
> Hi Jon,
> In the meanwhile I have see your web-site and I read that excel considerate
> the date/time value as an integer without considerating hours (on a
> date-time axis). This is my problem!!!
> Does not exist some method in order to make so that Excel recognizes the
> hours?
>
> Thank you
>

> "Jon Peltier" <DOjonNOT@SPAMpeltiertechME.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>If Excel understands your date/time as a value, then your chart should
>>reflect the duration between points. I don't know what your regional
>>settings are, and whether a period is interpreted as a time separator.
>>On my computer, I enter 10:00 for ten o'clock in the morning. If Excel
>>does not recognize 10.00 as 10:00, it will consider the entire field as
>>a text value, and it will assume they are not numeric, and it will use
>>hidden values of 1, 2, 3 for the data.
>>
>>If you have made a LINE chart instead of a SCATTER chart, one of two
>>things can go wrong. One is that the date and time are recognized as
>>date and time, and being all on the same day, Excel depicts the points
>>on a vertical line. That's just how Excel does times on a line chart.
>>
>>The other problem with a line chart is that it might simply interpret
>>the date-time values as category labels, as in the scatter chart above
>>that used 1, 2, 3.
>>
>>So the important points are: make sure Excel knows it's a date and time,
>>and make sure it is in fact a scatter chart.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>
>>Gaetano D'Aquila wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I would to realize with excel an X/Y line diagram where on the X axis I
>>>would put a date/time value.
>>>There is anyone that know how to do this?
>>>We suppose of having to represent these data
>>>X                                               Y
>>>01/05/2004 10.00                       1
>>>01/05/2004 10.30                       2
>>>01/05/2004 18.00                       3
>>>
>>>I  Succeed to correctly make the diagram but the space between the
>
> values of
>
>>>X axis is equal for all values although the distances between values are
>
> not
>
>>>the same (30 minutes, 8 hours etc). There is anyone that can help me?
>>>Thank you

DOjonNOT (619)
5/5/2004 11:53:00 AM
Hi Jon,
Hi have tried your suggestion but does not work on my sistem...
If you want I can send you a sample .xls (few kb) file with more information
about my proceedings.

> [...]
> >>On my computer, I enter 10:00 for ten o'clock in the morning. If Excel
> >>does not recognize 10.00 as 10:00, it will consider the entire field as
> >>a text value, and it will assume they are not numeric, and it will use
> >>hidden values of 1, 2, 3 for the data.
> >>
> >>If you have made a LINE chart instead of a SCATTER chart, one of two
> >>things can go wrong. One is that the date and time are recognized as
> >>date and time, and being all on the same day, Excel depicts the points
> >>on a vertical line. That's just how Excel does times on a line chart.
> >>
> >>The other problem with a line chart is that it might simply interpret
> >>the date-time values as category labels, as in the scatter chart above
> >>that used 1, 2, 3.
> >>
> >>So the important points are: make sure Excel knows it's a date and time,
> >>and make sure it is in fact a scatter chart.

You could send it, and if I have time, I'll have a look.

- Jon

Gaetano D'Aquila wrote:

> Hi Jon,
> Hi have tried your suggestion but does not work on my sistem...
> If you want I can send you a sample .xls (few kb) file with more information
> about my proceedings.
> Thank you.
>

> "Jon Peltier" <DOjonNOT@SPAMpeltiertechME.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Gaetano -
>>
>>That is a problem, and it is not obvious, as you have proved. You can
>>show the complete date-time values (integer plus fraction) if you make
>>an XY Scatter chart instead of a Line chart. The difference between them
>>is not in formatting: you can have a line or no line, markers or no
>>markers, in either chart type. The difference is in the treatment of X
>>Values.
>>
>>When scaling the X axis, you need to put the appropriate values of date
>>and time in the min, max, and spacing entry boxes in the Scale tab.
>>However, if you don't know offhand that 5/5/2004 8:00 (the approximate
>>time that I'm writing this) is known by Excel as 38112.33333, simply
>>enter 5/5/2004 8:00. Excel will convert this to 38112.33333
>>automagically. For the spacing values, enter hours and minutes like this
>>2:00 (for a two hour tick spacing).
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>

>>Gaetano D'Aquila wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Jon,
>>>In the meanwhile I have see your web-site and I read that excel
>
> considerate
>
>>>the date/time value as an integer without considerating hours (on a
>>>date-time axis). This is my problem!!!
>>>Does not exist some method in order to make so that Excel recognizes the
>>>hours?
>>>
>>>Thank you
>>>

>>>"Jon Peltier" <DOjonNOT@SPAMpeltiertechME.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>>values of

> are
>
>>>not

DOjonNOT (619)

Legend on Chart

Demographic chart?

Summing numbers between a date range
I need to sum values in a row of data where the date in the column of the row falls within a certain date range. Here is an example of the data. The data to be summed is in sheet one and the dates used for the criteria are in sheet 2. Sheet_1: col a col b col c col d Nov 15/92 Feb 15/93 Sep 15/93 Feb 15/94 15.00 20.00 30.00 10.00 Sheet_2: col a col b Jan 1/93 Dec 31/93 Jan 2/94 Dec 31/94 I basically want to sum the data in Sheet_1 that is between a date range based on Sheet_2. For example, sum values in sheet_...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

weeky time "bucket"
Looking for some advice on a sql report. I need to summarize data in weekly time "buckets". The week is defined as Sun thru Sat. The report rundate and anthing prior should be week 0, with the future weeks numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. At some point there may be a requirement to group all dates after a future date into one bucket (ie. "9+ weeks"). Any suggestions on how to accomplish numbering the weeks? Thanks in advance. Hello, > Any suggestions on how to accomplish > numbering the weeks? Are you looking for http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Distributing discrete values over a smooth curve
Hello everyone, Let me set up the problem really quick: I have data for train passengers in half hour blocks as shown: 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM = 100 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM = 400 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM = 1200 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM = 3200 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM = 2000 1:30 PM - 2:00 PM = 1600 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM = 700 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM = 400 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM = 200 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM = 100 For example, there are 2,000 people taking the train between 1:00 PM and 1:30 PM. What I really need is one-minute intervals of data points. Therefore, I somehow need to obtain a smooth curve while holding the above data to b...

Date Problem #2
When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest of the dates I have typed in. Can anyone please tell me why? I am using Excel from Office 2000 on XP Home Operating System. If that is referring to the 31st of November, unless there is a new leap year for November, Excel would be confused. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Gary Pickett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A29ECE7C-4333-4D8D-818F-EF29CD835845@microsoft.com... > When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest ...

Chart items moving around

Filter in between dates
Hi Everyone, Using Excel 2003. I have a list of patients who were on a particular therapy and in a certain unit. Many where on the therapy in other units before getting transferred or on the therapy after they left. I need to find the patients who started on a therapy after they arrived in a unit and who were off the therapy before they left the unit. My Date units show me Date and Time in the same field. They are named.. PtLocStDtTm PtLocEndDtTm PtThpyStDtTm PtThpyEndDtTm Thanks, Linda If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You se...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

csv values
Hi, I'm experiencing a weird behaveour by excel: when i double-click a csv file it opens excel (as it should) but, instead of appearing the import text dialog box, or importing directly into a new excel sheet, it opens all the file in just one column (with each row correctly defined, but with just one column which have allthe information eith commas like ",,,,Country,,,,,", etc.). The only way to make it import the file is to go to data>import>.... (which is quite borring and time consuming when we are opening several files, which is the case) I believe I'v alre...

Sort documents by date in Apply Sales Documents window
Is it possible to add VB code to the Apply Sales Documents window to sort the documents by Document Date instead of Document Number? If so, does anyone have that code? ...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...

Embed Chart
Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet like an embedded chart (or something)? Thanx. Brian - I'm not sure what you're asking. If you copy a chart from one workbook (or worksheet) and paste it into another, it will retain its links to the original source of its data. You can change its source data (to its new parent worksheet) using Source Data from the Chart menu. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ briank wrote: > Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet > like an...

Names on a Bubble Chart
Hi There, I am wondering on how I can put the "names" on my bubbles...? I've the following data where I would like to make a bubble chart with ... The bubble chart in itself works fine, I just do not manage to get the corresponding name (Product1, 2,...) on each bubble: NS AGP Growth Product1 9,052,494 22 (31) Product2 1,574,341 32 (25) Product3 1,759,511 3 (45) Product4 1,539,132 13 (69) Any thoughts? Jen ...

A Chart in a Chart ?
Is it possible to create a chart within another chart? If not - Is it possible to view a chart within another chart? Jim -- jamesasmithsr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jamesasmithsr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377093 you can save a chart inside a second chart. Make the first chart and have it on its own sheet make the second chart and set its location as an object in the first chart sheet "jamesasmithsr" wrot...