Chart title = Worksheet Name?

I have a workbook where every sheet represents a different day.  The title
of the sheet is the date e.g. 9-14-06.  On each sheet is a chart whose title
is same date as on the tab, but formatted slightly differently: Thursday
<cr> September 14, 2006.

Is there a way to easily link the two so when I update the tab date, the
chart date changes also?

Thanks,
Bill Halper

0
bhalper (2)

I do hope someone can find a shorter way but here is mine.
Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as text by Excel, so wee
need to get the sheet name into a cell and then extract year, month day
A1 (sheet name) =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
{works only after file has been save at least once}
B1 (year) =RIGHT(A1,4)
C1 (month)  =MID(A1,1,FIND("-",A1)-1)
D1 (day)
=MID(A1,FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))+1,FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-1)
E1 (date) =DATE(B1,C1,D1)
I know you could combine B1:D1 into E1 but what a mess, and you could
combine A1 into that also!!
F1 (Day of the Week)
=CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(E1),"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thur","Fri","Sat") {I'll let
you type in the full names}
G1 a cell for chart title =F1&CHAR(13)&TEXT(E1,"mmmm dd, yyyy")
Enter some dummy chart name, click on that name, in Formula Bar type = and
the click on G1, you will see ='9-14-2006'!$G$1 if the sheet is named
9-14-2006. On the chart you will have a two lined title Weekname and Date in
format Monthname day, year.

done
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"William Halper" <bhalper@covad.net> wrote in message
>I have a workbook where every sheet represents a different day.  The title
> of the sheet is the date e.g. 9-14-06.  On each sheet is a chart whose
> title
> is same date as on the tab, but formatted slightly differently: Thursday
> <cr> September 14, 2006.
>
> Is there a way to easily link the two so when I update the tab date, the
> chart date changes also?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Halper

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
9/22/2006 12:02:02 AM
Getting tired, first sentence should read:
Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as  A DATE by Excel, so
we
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>I do hope someone can find a shorter way but here is mine.
> Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as text by Excel, so
> wee need to get the sheet name into a cell and then extract year, month
> day
> A1 (sheet name) =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
> {works only after file has been save at least once}
> B1 (year) =RIGHT(A1,4)
> C1 (month)  =MID(A1,1,FIND("-",A1)-1)
> D1 (day)
> =MID(A1,FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))+1,FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-1)
> E1 (date) =DATE(B1,C1,D1)
> I know you could combine B1:D1 into E1 but what a mess, and you could
> combine A1 into that also!!
> F1 (Day of the Week)
> =CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(E1),"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thur","Fri","Sat") {I'll let
> you type in the full names}
> G1 a cell for chart title =F1&CHAR(13)&TEXT(E1,"mmmm dd, yyyy")
> Enter some dummy chart name, click on that name, in Formula Bar type = and
> the click on G1, you will see ='9-14-2006'!$G$1 if the sheet is named
> 9-14-2006. On the chart you will have a two lined title Weekname and Date
> in format Monthname day, year.
>
> done
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "William Halper" <bhalper@covad.net> wrote in message
>>I have a workbook where every sheet represents a different day.  The title
>> of the sheet is the date e.g. 9-14-06.  On each sheet is a chart whose
>> title
>> is same date as on the tab, but formatted slightly differently: Thursday
>> <cr> September 14, 2006.
>>
>> Is there a way to easily link the two so when I update the tab date, the
>> chart date changes also?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill Halper

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
9/22/2006 12:17:56 AM
That almost works, but having the A1 cell tied to the file name causes all
of the sheets to update to the date shown on the most recently changed
worksheet.  There's got to be a way to read the name property of the
worksheet and store it in a cell...perhaps using VBA?

Thanks,
Bill Halper

> Getting tired, first sentence should read:
> Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as  A DATE by Excel,
> so we
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>>I do hope someone can find a shorter way but here is mine.
>> Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as text by Excel, so
>> wee need to get the sheet name into a cell and then extract year, month
>> day
>> A1 (sheet name) =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
>> {works only after file has been save at least once}
>> B1 (year) =RIGHT(A1,4)
>> C1 (month)  =MID(A1,1,FIND("-",A1)-1)
>> D1 (day)
>> =MID(A1,FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))+1,FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-1)
>> E1 (date) =DATE(B1,C1,D1)
>> I know you could combine B1:D1 into E1 but what a mess, and you could
>> combine A1 into that also!!
>> F1 (Day of the Week)
>> =CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(E1),"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thur","Fri","Sat") {I'll let
>> you type in the full names}
>> G1 a cell for chart title =F1&CHAR(13)&TEXT(E1,"mmmm dd, yyyy")
>> Enter some dummy chart name, click on that name, in Formula Bar type =
>> and the click on G1, you will see ='9-14-2006'!$G$1 if the sheet is named
>> 9-14-2006. On the chart you will have a two lined title Weekname and Date
>> in format Monthname day, year.
>>
>> done
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>
>> "William Halper" <bhalper@covad.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a workbook where every sheet represents a different day.  The
>>>title
>>> of the sheet is the date e.g. 9-14-06.  On each sheet is a chart whose
>>> title
>>> is same date as on the tab, but formatted slightly differently: Thursday
>>> <cr> September 14, 2006.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to easily link the two so when I update the tab date, the
>>> chart date changes also?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill Halper

0
bhalper (2)
9/22/2006 5:24:26 AM
In A1, instead of CELL("filename") use CELL("filename", A1)

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <dab47$45137396$d8665a07$32103@msgid.meganewsservers.com>,
bhalper@covad.net says...
> That almost works, but having the A1 cell tied to the file name causes all
> of the sheets to update to the date shown on the most recently changed
> worksheet.  There's got to be a way to read the name property of the
> worksheet and store it in a cell...perhaps using VBA?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Halper
>

> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> > Getting tired, first sentence should read:
> > Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as  A DATE by Excel,
> > so we
> > --
> > Bernard V Liengme
> > www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> > remove caps from email
> >
> > "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> >>I do hope someone can find a shorter way but here is mine.
> >> Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as text by Excel, so
> >> wee need to get the sheet name into a cell and then extract year, month
> >> day
> >> A1 (sheet name) =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
> >> {works only after file has been save at least once}
> >> B1 (year) =RIGHT(A1,4)
> >> C1 (month)  =MID(A1,1,FIND("-",A1)-1)
> >> D1 (day)
> >> =MID(A1,FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))+1,FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-1)
> >> E1 (date) =DATE(B1,C1,D1)
> >> I know you could combine B1:D1 into E1 but what a mess, and you could
> >> combine A1 into that also!!
> >> F1 (Day of the Week)
> >> =CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(E1),"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thur","Fri","Sat") {I'll let
> >> you type in the full names}
> >> G1 a cell for chart title =F1&CHAR(13)&TEXT(E1,"mmmm dd, yyyy")
> >> Enter some dummy chart name, click on that name, in Formula Bar type =
> >> and the click on G1, you will see ='9-14-2006'!$G$1 if the sheet is named
> >> 9-14-2006. On the chart you will have a two lined title Weekname and Date
> >> in format Monthname day, year.
> >>
> >> done
> >> best wishes
> >> --
> >> Bernard V Liengme
> >> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> >> remove caps from email
> >>
> >> "William Halper" <bhalper@covad.net> wrote in message

Here is a VBA solution.
After inserting a module in VBA editor and pasting this function, type
=Expt() in some cell and 'point' the chart tile at it.
best wishes

Function Expt()
 temp = ActiveSheet.Name
 Mydate = DateValue(temp)
 Myweekday = Weekday(Mydate)
 MyWeekdayName = Application.WorksheetFunction.Choose(Myweekday, "Sunday",
"Monday",_ "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday")
 MyDisplay = Format(Mydate, "mmmm dd, yyyy")
 Expt = MyWeekdayName & Chr(13) & MyDisplay
End Function

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"bhalper" <bhalper@covad.net> wrote in message
> That almost works, but having the A1 cell tied to the file name causes all
> of the sheets to update to the date shown on the most recently changed
> worksheet.  There's got to be a way to read the name property of the
> worksheet and store it in a cell...perhaps using VBA?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Halper
>

> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>> Getting tired, first sentence should read:
>> Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as  A DATE by Excel,
>> so we
>> --
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>
>> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>>>I do hope someone can find a shorter way but here is mine.
>>> Firstly, the name on the tab will not be recognized as text by Excel, so
>>> wee need to get the sheet name into a cell and then extract year, month
>>> day
>>> A1 (sheet name) =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
>>> {works only after file has been save at least once}
>>> B1 (year) =RIGHT(A1,4)
>>> C1 (month)  =MID(A1,1,FIND("-",A1)-1)
>>> D1 (day)
>>> =MID(A1,FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))+1,FIND("-",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","*",1))-1)
>>> E1 (date) =DATE(B1,C1,D1)
>>> I know you could combine B1:D1 into E1 but what a mess, and you could
>>> combine A1 into that also!!
>>> F1 (Day of the Week)
>>> =CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(E1),"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thur","Fri","Sat") {I'll
>>> let you type in the full names}
>>> G1 a cell for chart title =F1&CHAR(13)&TEXT(E1,"mmmm dd, yyyy")
>>> Enter some dummy chart name, click on that name, in Formula Bar type =
>>> and the click on G1, you will see ='9-14-2006'!$G$1 if the sheet is
>>> named 9-14-2006. On the chart you will have a two lined title Weekname
>>> and Date in format Monthname day, year.
>>>
>>> done
>>> best wishes
>>> --
>>> Bernard V Liengme
>>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>>> remove caps from email
>>>
>>> "William Halper" <bhalper@covad.net> wrote in message

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Legend on Chart

Demographic chart?

Hide worksheets before close
I have a workbook with multiple sheets that I would like to Hide before close. I am using a macro attached to a "Quit" button, but it does not work. I also have a Sub in ThisWorkbook, but I can't seem to call it Sub Button14_Click_Quit() Application.DisplayAlerts = False Worksheets("A Detail").Visible = False Worksheets("A Metrics").Visible = False Worksheets("B DV Detail").Visible = False Worksheets("B DV Metrics").Visible = False Worksheets("B Detail").Visible = False Worksheets("B Metrics&qu...

E2003 naming ranges correctly
Hi! Even though I named the ranges in my excel workbook, I cannot properly import excel contacts into Outlook. Not even when the excel data was originally exported from Outlook! In the import dialog box, the actions to be performed field 'doesn't show only 1 excel file to import, but al the column headers of the file as seperate items. I can only map custom fields per item. The result of such import is very strange. I found out converting the excel file first in an access db and than importing that access file in Outlook contacts, is an easy work around. But I get really sic...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Navigatng worksheets in a large Workbook
Is there a shortcut to go back and forth to worksheets that are used often but not readily available. For exam;ple sheet 25,28,31etc. Hello, you could try right clicking on the arrows at the lower left hand side of the sheet. This should show all sheets in your workbook, Regards, Nick. "Trying To Excel" wrote: > Is there a shortcut to go back and forth to worksheets that are used often > but not readily available. For exam;ple sheet 25,28,31etc. With a large 500 sheet workbook an index page has proved invaluable. On one sheet (called 'GoToSheet') links have ...

Charting/ Graph question

Debra Dalgleish-help with worksheet data entry
Hi Debra, I browsed your website and found this new data entry worksheet(http://contextures.com/xlForm02.html) which was very good and i showed my boss.He liked the idea of it and thus asked me to work on it.I managed to add a few more fields and it worked fine. I have a cell named "Documentation to support requirement" at B11 and its corresponding text box at D11.My problem now is that at D11, i need two kind of controls one is drop down list box for document type and another control is text box for document name.How do i achieve this? i need both of this control's answer to b...

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Chart items moving around

No site name available
Hi, I restarted my Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2003 R2. The following error was recorded in the System log and the POP3 service not started. It started OK manually. Event ID: 7023 The Microsoft Exchange POP3 service terminated with the following error: No site name is available for this machine. Any suggestions please on what could cause this? Thank you. John Are you needing the POP3 service? By default it is disabled. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2006 Microsoft Certified Partner "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote in message...

Duplicating parts of a worksheet
I am working with an excel worksheet with five columns (account, date description, purchase order, and expense amount). I want to summariz from this worksheet all of the expenses by account. I know how to get the total expenses for each account from this list but I want to be able to create another worksheet for each account tha lists date, description, purchase order, and expense amount. Is ther a way to do this without requiring double entering of everything -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This sounds like a job for a Pivottable. You can create a nice summary repor...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

Sorting Names i the Contact View
Is it possible to sort contacts by last name, first name instead of full name? The fullname contains the first and last name as specified in the organization settings. Go to Settings / System Settings. There is a combobox defining how the fullname is calculated. If it is "First Last", change it to "Last, First". After you changed this setting, the fullname will contain the desired format and your views are sorted the way you want. The problem is that the full names of existing records are not updated automatically. You will get the old "First Last" until yo...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...

Embed Chart
Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet like an embedded chart (or something)? Thanx. Brian - I'm not sure what you're asking. If you copy a chart from one workbook (or worksheet) and paste it into another, it will retain its links to the original source of its data. You can change its source data (to its new parent worksheet) using Source Data from the Chart menu. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ briank wrote: > Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet > like an...

Names on a Bubble Chart
Hi There, I am wondering on how I can put the "names" on my bubbles...? I've the following data where I would like to make a bubble chart with ... The bubble chart in itself works fine, I just do not manage to get the corresponding name (Product1, 2,...) on each bubble: NS AGP Growth Product1 9,052,494 22 (31) Product2 1,574,341 32 (25) Product3 1,759,511 3 (45) Product4 1,539,132 13 (69) Any thoughts? Jen ...

A Chart in a Chart ?
Is it possible to create a chart within another chart? If not - Is it possible to view a chart within another chart? Jim -- jamesasmithsr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jamesasmithsr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377093 you can save a chart inside a second chart. Make the first chart and have it on its own sheet make the second chart and set its location as an object in the first chart sheet "jamesasmithsr" wrot...