Chart lines shift when printing

Hi All,

When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.

I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
issue like Microsoft claim?

Cheers,

David

0
moehle (5)
9/19/2006 3:57:09 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
750 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 19

By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing toolbar. 
To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to 
selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part of 
the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.

If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two 
points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked to 
a given position in the chart:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1158681429.734067.200850@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
> the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
> doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
> is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.
>
> I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
> because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
> annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
> issue like Microsoft claim?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
> 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/19/2006 9:13:15 PM
That's not what I mean, sorry for not specifiying it better. The lines
that shift and bend are actual series of my XY scatter graph. I am very
familiar with Excel and charting, and have never seen this before. The
lines all look fine in normal view, but when I print preview they move,
dissappear or bend. The problem is also present when printing directly.

Anyone ever seen this before??

David


Jon Peltier wrote:

> By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing toolbar.
> To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to
> selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part of
> the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.
>
> If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two
> points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked to
> a given position in the chart:
>
>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
>
> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1158681429.734067.200850@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
> > the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
> > doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
> > is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.
> >
> > I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
> > because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
> > annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
> > issue like Microsoft claim?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > David
> >

0
moehle (5)
9/20/2006 12:52:44 PM
Are you using smoothed lines?

I really have no idea....

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1158756764.811299.168380@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> That's not what I mean, sorry for not specifiying it better. The lines
> that shift and bend are actual series of my XY scatter graph. I am very
> familiar with Excel and charting, and have never seen this before. The
> lines all look fine in normal view, but when I print preview they move,
> dissappear or bend. The problem is also present when printing directly.
>
> Anyone ever seen this before??
>
> David
>
>
> Jon Peltier wrote:
>
>> By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing 
>> toolbar.
>> To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to
>> selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part 
>> of
>> the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.
>>
>> If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two
>> points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked 
>> to
>> a given position in the chart:
>>
>>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>>
>> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1158681429.734067.200850@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
>> > the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
>> > doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
>> > is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.
>> >
>> > I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
>> > because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
>> > annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
>> > issue like Microsoft claim?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > David
>> >
> 


0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
9/20/2006 4:45:37 PM
Nope, standard xy scatter graph lines. Have also tried to replot the
graph from scratch, same problem. I have found one other instance of
this by trawling through google groups, the person posted it in 2003
and had the same problems as me exactly. No solution was ever posted.

This is a mystery that is annoying me. Will try running it at home on
SP3 and let you know if that fixes it, for anyone else who has
encountered this. Maybe my version of Excel is unique, haha.

David


Jon Peltier wrote:

> Are you using smoothed lines?
>
> I really have no idea....
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
>
> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1158756764.811299.168380@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> > That's not what I mean, sorry for not specifiying it better. The lines
> > that shift and bend are actual series of my XY scatter graph. I am very
> > familiar with Excel and charting, and have never seen this before. The
> > lines all look fine in normal view, but when I print preview they move,
> > dissappear or bend. The problem is also present when printing directly.
> >
> > Anyone ever seen this before??
> >
> > David
> >
> >
> > Jon Peltier wrote:
> >
> >> By chart lines, you mean lines you've drawn using Excel's drawing
> >> toolbar.
> >> To avoid some of the shifting, you should select the chart prior to
> >> selecting the drawing tool, so that the shape you draw will become part
> >> of
> >> the embedded chart, rather than just floating along with it.
> >>
> >> If the lines are horizontal or vertical (or even just defined by two
> >> points), you should create them using a chart series, so they are linked
> >> to
> >> a given position in the chart:
> >>
> >>     http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>
> >>
> >> "Darv" <moehle@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:1158681429.734067.200850@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> >> > Hi All,
> >> >
> >> > When I print or print preview charts as objects on worksheets, some of
> >> > the straight lines shift, and even form bends in them. The problem
> >> > doesn't occur when the chart is created in it's own sheet. The problem
> >> > is the same no matter which printer I use, or when I output to pdf.
> >> >
> >> > I'm running Office XP SP1. My company will not allow an upgrade to SP3
> >> > because it is too unstable. Is there anyone who has encountered this
> >> > annoying bug, and even better, been able to fix it? Does SP3 fix the
> >> > issue like Microsoft claim?
> >> >
> >> > Cheers,
> >> >
> >> > David
> >> >
> >

0
moehle (5)
9/21/2006 8:59:28 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Legend on Chart
I am updating chart that includes three years of data and want to add 2008. The data has transferred, but the legend shows 2007,2008,2006. How can I get 2008,2007,2006 in order in the legend? Change the order of the series. Double click on one series, and go to the Series Order tab. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Double L" <Double L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CAE4FE5-4390-4D48-BF68-CAA1CDA2BC65@microsoft.com... >I am updating char...

Demographic chart?
Hi, I need to create a demographic chart in Excel, but I can't find the proper chart type. Is there a suitable chart type? I've gone through all options I can think of for a regular bar chart. (In my world, a demographic chart is a bar chart with the values pointing in two different directions... Not very complicated, but Excel doesn't seem to agree with me!) Does anyone know of an adequate solution? BR - Aggie Hi, They are also known as Tornado charts or population pyramids. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/torna...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers
I'm using a Line Chart With Markers tracking 4 data lines: Red with Circles Black with Squares Blue with Diamonds Yellow with Triangles The yellow with triangles is very light and doesn't show very well in my PP presentation. I would like to change the color of just that one line. How do I do that? Click on that series in the chart, and right click, format series. You should now be able to change the color of the series. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Bishop" wrote: > I'm using a Line Chart With Markers...

quick charting question for similar charts on multiple sheets
Hi, just wondering if there is a quick solution to my problem. I have several charts, all virtually identical except for the data values in them, and i have one chart per sheet, and about 100 sheets. The problem is that some charts are positioned slightly different on their respective sheets then others on other sheets, although some are identical from sheet to sheet aswell. Just wondering if there is a quick way to select them all, line them up identically on each sheet, with all the same size/formating etc.? Thanks. -- Boon8888 -----------------------------------------------------...

Charting/ Graph question
Hi all I'd like to visually display a table that contains the following table structure StaffName Software 1 Skill Level Software 2 Skill Level (10 software titles >) (around 50-60 people) What i'd like to is output a simple visual output that shows me how many people are at a particular level for the each software (but all on one chart). I imagined that it may be nice to see blobs based on the size of the number of staff at a particular skill level for the specific software. However i am not sure if this is the right way to represent this data. I've created a se...

Chart in Chart
Hi I currently using a 3 line chart, which is controlled by a scroll bar What I need is to have a smaller chart, but magnified of the visabl data for a period of days within the chart timeline. All I need to kno is how to add a addional line chart in and excisting chart. Hope you can assist Thie -- Thie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Thiem's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2747 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49068 Hi, You can embed charts within a chartsheet but y...

How do I create a chart....
I would like to create a chart that counts the exact number of a specific name compared to other names. The names are in the same column but each cell may contains a differnt name and I would like to count how many times each name appears in the column and then compare them in a graph. try selecting the column (A)? <data><Filter><advanced filter> select unique values select a cell for the data to start (C1) hit enter inD1 enter =countif(A:A,C1) hit enter and copy down to the end of the C Column. "awright" wrote: > I would like to create a chart that counts ...

PRINT PREVIEW PROBLEM #3
I am unable to view my entire page when opening "Print Preview." Only about 3/4 of the page shows. HELP!! ...

charts: 1. link to a cell in chart titles, 2. custom chart template
hello, 1. how can i make a link to a cell in chart title, category axis & value axis? i'd like to know how to make a title like eg below: 'Average revenues [=B2], [=B3]' <- in line below (smaller font size than in line above) 2. how can i make a my own chart (custom type) by making a own template (how to make a template, and how to implement it to excel custom types charts) i am interested in making types similar denkin diagram (similar to radar type) or leontief branch flow matrix (similar to x-y plot with columns and rows with second x axis and second y axis) is there a...

Line graphs in Excel 2007
I am trying to plot weekly sales in a given year. Eventually in a year, there will be 52 weeks of sales labeled date,this yr sales,last yr. sales. I am using a line graph. Everything is working fine except: I would like excel to automatically update my chart for each week that I have sales data for. In the near fuure,when I enter data for the months of Oct,Nov,Dec and the last part of Sept., I would like Excel to automatically update my chart. I have tried to in my data table, put all the weeks of the year in the table and as I get sales data, enter them into the table. The chart will upd...

Chart items moving around
Hi everybody! I have posted this before but I never got any replies so I did some testing myself. I I want to share what I have found out with you and it would be great to hear if someone else recognizes this. Background: I have a number of embedded charts on a scorecard sheet that gets updated from several sources. I run this scorecard for different business units, take pictures of the scorecards and put in another Excel file that I later make a PDF of. Problem: After running this a few times, I find that my chart legends have moved around a bit and that some plot areas have been resi...

Bcc and printing a sent message
I am using Outlook 2003 (SP1). I sent a message with several names in the BCC. I would like to print a hard copy showing all recipients (including the BCC's) for my files. Can anyone tell me how to print showing the BCC recipients? Thanks, Cyn ...

Simple State Diagram flow chart in Visio?
I am trying to make a very simple State Chart Diagram in Visio. I'm not sure if I should just use the basic flow chart or not, as I'm not familar with UML. I simply want to describe a software program that will move two one of four "states" based on some conditions, then loop back around. I am not opposed to just making a flow chart but was hoping to make it look a little more "professional" using a State Diagram. The examples seem rather complicated, I don't want to have to define variables and all that using UML, I just want to show the four "states...

Printing Multiple Copies
When in publisher 2002 and we ask it to print multiple copies, publisher prints the same publication several times, rather than send it to the printer once and let the printer generate the copies. The printer is an HP Color LaserJet 4550DN. The latest printer driver from HP is loaded on the computer (Runing Windows 2000). Thanks in Advance --Sam Just another HP issue - situation normal and don't expect a fix from HP. They have your money for the printer and that is all they care about. You will be incredibly fortunate if you get any assistance from HP on this matter. Next time you p...

Combination of stock chart and line chart
Dose anyone know how to plot a stock chart and a line chart together in combination ? I tried but can't seem to do it, is it possible in Excel ? One way is stock chart with open, high, low and close plus volume but I need to plot 2 other lines. Thanks, Hiromichi Hiromichi - I have written an explanation on this web page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ hwatari wrote: > Dose anyone know how to plot a stock chart and a...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007
I'm looking to plot multiple formulas on a single chart, and came across a thread from 8/12/2005 for earlier versions of Excel for a single function, which causes errors when recreated in 2007. Error is A Formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name, and cell reference I presume its due to changes in 2007, and possibly the Evaluate formula as I cant find it listed in 2007. Is there a new technique that avoids the error? Thanks Very Much for any help. Kris In column A we have...

Can't change pt. size in a 3-D Format Chart
For some reason, I am not able to change the width and height point sizes when I am trying to apply 3-D formatting to a chart in Excel. I try to type the numbers in, but the pt size just defaults back to 0. My husband thought it may have been a stuck number key somewhere, so I turned the computer off and rebooted. No change. Any ideas? Thanks! Point sizes of the whole chart? What's wrong with a good old 2D chart? You won't have this kind of problem, and you won't distort the data you're plotting, either. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services,...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...

Purchase Line Items in SmartList
I using GP 7.0 I generate a SmartList Report in the Purchase Line Items where I need to see all POs with the Document Status = OPEN. There are some POs that status should be history because they were fully received against. How do I change the document status to history? Also, I notice some items on the PO were not completely received and the remaining items are canceled. Example I purchase 250 I received 240 so I canceled 10 remaining items. How can I move this PO into history so it will not show up as open? Thanks in advance for your help, Kevin You need to go to to Routines>...

Embed Chart
Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet like an embedded chart (or something)? Thanx. Brian - I'm not sure what you're asking. If you copy a chart from one workbook (or worksheet) and paste it into another, it will retain its links to the original source of its data. You can change its source data (to its new parent worksheet) using Source Data from the Chart menu. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ briank wrote: > Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet > like an...

Printing selected rows #2
I have an Excel Spreadsheet with ~40,000 rows. I only want to prin rows in which there is a value in Column A. Is there a way to do thi without having to do sort first? I do not want to change the format o the document. Thanks for any help -- maacmaa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- maacmaac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=295 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49184 Select column A. data|filter|Autofilter filter to show non-blanks Print your stuff data|filter|show all ...

Names on a Bubble Chart
Hi There, I am wondering on how I can put the "names" on my bubbles...? I've the following data where I would like to make a bubble chart with ... The bubble chart in itself works fine, I just do not manage to get the corresponding name (Product1, 2,...) on each bubble: NS AGP Growth Product1 9,052,494 22 (31) Product2 1,574,341 32 (25) Product3 1,759,511 3 (45) Product4 1,539,132 13 (69) Any thoughts? Jen ...

A Chart in a Chart ?
Is it possible to create a chart within another chart? If not - Is it possible to view a chart within another chart? Jim -- jamesasmithsr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jamesasmithsr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377093 you can save a chart inside a second chart. Make the first chart and have it on its own sheet make the second chart and set its location as an object in the first chart sheet "jamesasmithsr" wrot...

Excel Chart Source Data
Is it possible to update Excel Chart Source Data for Multiple Chart where the ranges are exactly the same? We have a large workbook containing 25 worksheets with charts that ar linked to another Master Workbook. The charts display data for a rolling 12 month timescale and so th source data needs to be manually updated each month to reflect th current rolling 12 month timescale e.g May 2003 to April 2004 cell range A1:Z1 would need to be updated t reflect June 2003 to May 2004 to B1:AA1 There are 100 charts so manually updating the Source Data is tim consuming-as the cell references are the ...