In a worksheet with an embedded chart, I have a cell, S4, where I enter the
number of the column I want to chart (these numbers are listed as labels in
cells A2:R2).

I can't figure out how to translate the number in S4 into the corresponding
column letter. For example, if S4 contains "3", the chart title should be
=$C$2.

I think working with absolute references, R1C1, might be easier here, but
somehow what I've tried, didn't work (the entire spreadsheet is based on
relative addresses (A1).

z.entropic
0
zentropic (23)

in a cell (Z100) put
=index(A2:G2,1,S4,1)
Change G2 to whatever you need
Select the graph title block and in the formula section enter =Z100
(or whatever cell you want to use.

"z.entropic" wrote:

> In a worksheet with an embedded chart, I have a cell, S4, where I enter the
> number of the column I want to chart (these numbers are listed as labels in
> cells A2:R2).
>
> I can't figure out how to translate the number in S4 into the corresponding
> column letter. For example, if S4 contains "3", the chart title should be
> =$C$2.
>
> I think working with absolute references, R1C1, might be easier here, but
> somehow what I've tried, didn't work (the entire spreadsheet is based on
> relative addresses (A1).
>
> z.entropic
0
BJ (832)
5/20/2005 6:18:00 PM
Thanks; the INDEX worksheet function is something I haven't had to use
before. I'll read up more in it.

I git it to work with
=INDIRECT("R2C"&S7,)
as well.

z.entropic

p.s. what I meant in my orginal post is the referencing STYLE (R1C1 vs. A1),
not relative or absolute references (A1 vs $A$1).

"bj" wrote:

> in a cell (Z100) put
> =index(A2:G2,1,S4,1)
> Change G2 to whatever you need
> Select the graph title block and in the formula section enter =Z100
> (or whatever cell you want to use.
>
> "z.entropic" wrote:
>
> > In a worksheet with an embedded chart, I have a cell, S4, where I enter the
> > number of the column I want to chart (these numbers are listed as labels in
> > cells A2:R2).
> >
> > I can't figure out how to translate the number in S4 into the corresponding
> > column letter. For example, if S4 contains "3", the chart title should be
> > =$C$2.
> >
> > I think working with absolute references, R1C1, might be easier here, but
> > somehow what I've tried, didn't work (the entire spreadsheet is based on
> > relative addresses (A1).
> >
> > z.entropic
0
zentropic (23)
5/20/2005 6:54:04 PM
You could also try the OFFSET function.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

z.entropic wrote:
> Thanks; the INDEX worksheet function is something I haven't had to use
> before. I'll read up more in it.
>
> I git it to work with
> =INDIRECT("R2C"&S7,)
> as well.
>
> z.entropic
>
> p.s. what I meant in my orginal post is the referencing STYLE (R1C1 vs. A1),
> not relative or absolute references (A1 vs $A$1).
>
> "bj" wrote:
>

>>in a cell (Z100) put
>>=index(A2:G2,1,S4,1)
>>Change G2 to whatever you need
>>Select the graph title block and in the formula section enter =Z100
>>(or whatever cell you want to use.
>>
>>"z.entropic" wrote:
>>

>>>In a worksheet with an embedded chart, I have a cell, S4, where I enter the
>>>number of the column I want to chart (these numbers are listed as labels in
>>>cells A2:R2).
>>>
>>>I can't figure out how to translate the number in S4 into the corresponding
>>>column letter. For example, if S4 contains "3", the chart title should be
>>>=$C$2.
>>>
>>>I think working with absolute references, R1C1, might be easier here, but
>>>somehow what I've tried, didn't work (the entire spreadsheet is based on
>>>relative addresses (A1).
>>>
>>>z.entropic

Legend on Chart

Moving numbers to two decimal places i think...
well heres my problem- im trying to copy a "total" price from exce into a vbe using a controlsource, the problem is in excel it display �593.01 but in vbe i get 593.009, how could i set it up to display pound sign and take it to the nearest two decimal places -- 4nd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 4ndy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1494 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26585 Hi 4ndy, Sub Tester() Dim MyVar As Double MyVar = Sheets("Sheet1&qu...

Demographic chart?

HR version number not updating after installing SP
Hello, We upgraded Great Plains & Human resources to 8.0 & also installed SP2. After the SP2, The Great Plains version number has properly updated to 8.00g34 but the HR version still says 8.00.7 instead of 8.00.10 on the server & other wrkstations. This was not a problem. The HR modified reports all upgraded fine & all workstations are able to run the modified HR reports except one wrkstn. This one wrkstn. has properly updated the HR version number to 8.00.10. When we try to run an HR report from this wrkstn, it says that the dictionary is not found. The reports need to ...

How do I make all columns resize to
Thanks again for the super smart folks in this place, that have pulled me out of a few sticky situations Got a new one today.. I have about 6 columns in my sheet. I want to be able to resize the first column on my JAN sheet, and the changes reflect on all of the following months. I'd like to make the next column about 1/3 that size, and the following months follow suit. How can I do this, other than going through and resizing them all manually Thanks in advance - Rightmer Hi could only be done manually or with a macro. So you're probably faster doing this manually :-) -- Regards F...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Incorrect number of messages shown for Inbox
I have an Exchange mailbox showing 2 more unread messages than there actually are. For instance, if the number of unread messages shows as 7, there are actually only 5 unread messages. I have not been able to find any information on this on the Internet. Any ideas? Stephen <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an Exchange mailbox showing 2 more unread messages > than there actually are. For instance, if the number of > unread messages shows as 7, there are actually only 5 > unread messages. I have not been able to find any > information on this o...

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

How toChange color of first letter inEach word ofA column at once
Just imagine cell A1 "all". Now imagine cell A2 containing "ball" and then cell A3 containing "call" and so on for many more words in this A column. How can I change the color of just the first letter of every word in this column? As long as the cell contains text (not a formula and not a number), you can highlight the first letter of each cell in the formulabar and use Format|Cells (xl2003 menus) to change the font color. You could use a macro to do the work, too: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myCell As Range Dim myRng As Range ...

Chart items moving around

any qsRules reference doc?
Hi, Is there any documentation anywhere showing what properties belong to qsRules? So that when I get an instance via (javascript): var qsRules = qsBridge.RequestQSRules(); (per article 869720), I will know how to get at various pieces of data? What I need is the current work order number. I have been able to get it via qsBridge.FireEvent("SelectWorkorder"), but can I get it without having the work order look-up dialog come up first? I figure if so, it will be via a qsRule. Li'l help needed. TIA, -Nick Hi, thanks for the reply. Where might I get this customization guide? ...

How a row or column can be fixed so as no person can click inside
i want to know that how can a person fix a row or a column in excel as u have done in ur templates for eg. in invioice , time etc. u have not allowed any person to even click in the cell where there is a formula. how u have done this. First, you select the cells the user can change. Then Format/Cells, select the Protection tab, and uncheck Locked. Then go to Tools/Protection and protect the worksheet. You'll have options there as to what the user can and can't do. One is to disallow selecting locked cells. On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:03:01 -0700, vineshwar <vineshwar@discussions.mi...

Numeric Column Notation in EXCEL 2007
My EXCEL 2007 has switched to Numeric column notation and I can't switch find how to switch it back to Alphameric. As it sits, cell designations must be written R1C1, R1C2 etc. rather than A1,B1 etc. HELP. I know this sounds simple but EXCEL 2007 is substantially different from earlier versions: There is no "tools" There is no "default." I need help to set it back. -- wwnexcelerator Click the Office button (top left corner), choose Excel Options, Formula tab. There it is. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "wwells" <wwells@di...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

Win XP Outlook 2003 Contact Phone Number formats
If I type in 1 300 ........... or 0418 ....... numbers they are entered in plain text without formatting nor hyphens just as I want. When I enter an 8 digit local number Outlook insists on re-formatting it with an area code in brackets and hyphen after 4 digits. Is there any way to stop this behaviour. Placing a _ at the beginning stops the beahviour, now all I need is a non visible _ I even tried unsuccessfully to remove my area code from Control Panel\ Phone and Modem Options Any help is appreciated. Cheers Ian No. Masking of phone numbers in Outlook is hard coded, based on your default ...

Custom Number Format #5
Hey Benjielop, That was fast! I tried the formula (replacing A1 with B4, where the first tag is), bu Excel 2000 gives back an error message pointing to =left*(b4,1)*.... -- Excelder ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excelders's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1556 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27130 ...

Create a numerical sequence in a column: From 1 to ....
I want to automatically generate a sequence of numbers from 1 to....X without typing them all. How? Depechez wrote: > I want to automatically generate a sequence of numbers from 1 to....X without > typing them all. How? Hi Depechez, You could type in 1 in A1 and 2 in A2. Then highlight them and pull the autofill handle (The little black square in the buttom right cornor of your highligted selection) to the row you want to. Regards, Bondi In A1 enter 1 In A2 enter 2 Select both cells and drag/copy down column A as far as you wish. OR Enter 1 in A1 In name box enter A1:A12300 ...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...