chart data #2

I have a spreadsheet set up that updates the information every month over a
12 month period. The data i have for example is
                Actual	Profile
Jan	77723	77723
Feb	75319	67582
Mar	72047	73469
Apr	69557	81048
May	76672	88563
Jun	65068	77750
Jul	63819	79528
Aug	71079	90357
Sep	65793	85348
0	0	0
0	0	0
0	0	0

Obviously i have not received the data for the last three months yet but i
need to keep the formulas in to automatically update the information. I want
to select all of the information in this area but not show zeros on my chart.
This chart will then update every month as the data updates. Is this possible
to do. Please can someone help me.
Thanks

Hi,

You need to modify your formula  to use NA() instead of zero.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
>I have a spreadsheet set up that updates the information every month over a
> 12 month period. The data i have for example is
>                Actual Profile
> Jan 77723 77723
> Feb 75319 67582
> Mar 72047 73469
> Apr 69557 81048
> May 76672 88563
> Jun 65068 77750
> Jul 63819 79528
> Aug 71079 90357
> Sep 65793 85348
> 0 0 0
> 0 0 0
> 0 0 0
>
> Obviously i have not received the data for the last three months yet but i
> need to keep the formulas in to automatically update the information. I
> want
> to select all of the information in this area but not show zeros on my
> chart.
> This chart will then update every month as the data updates. Is this
> possible
> to do. Please can someone help me.
> Thanks

0
andy9699 (3616)
10/27/2008 3:22:46 PM
If i use N/A it still shows N/A along the bottom axis and goes to zero. I
don't want to include these cells if null value on the chart data.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You need to modify your formula  to use NA() instead of zero.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:DD56B100-FB96-417A-B127-474E9E7F301C@microsoft.com...
> >I have a spreadsheet set up that updates the information every month over a
> > 12 month period. The data i have for example is
> >                Actual Profile
> > Jan 77723 77723
> > Feb 75319 67582
> > Mar 72047 73469
> > Apr 69557 81048
> > May 76672 88563
> > Jun 65068 77750
> > Jul 63819 79528
> > Aug 71079 90357
> > Sep 65793 85348
> > 0 0 0
> > 0 0 0
> > 0 0 0
> >
> > Obviously i have not received the data for the last three months yet but i
> > need to keep the formulas in to automatically update the information. I
> > want
> > to select all of the information in this area but not show zeros on my
> > chart.
> > This chart will then update every month as the data updates. Is this
> > possible
> > to do. Please can someone help me.
> > Thanks

The formula would be

=IF( <test> , <valid data> , NA() )

You could also use #N/A. Anything else will be treated as text and text is
plotted as zero.

If you do not want the months included on the axis then you will need to
create some named ranges and based the chart data upon those.
You find information on dynamic named ranges here,

Cheers
Andy

--

message news:B02A78D6-F622-4918-87BF-25B643CDAF31@microsoft.com...
> If i use N/A it still shows N/A along the bottom axis and goes to zero. I
> don't want to include these cells if null value on the chart data.
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You need to modify your formula  to use NA() instead of zero.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:DD56B100-FB96-417A-B127-474E9E7F301C@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a spreadsheet set up that updates the information every month
>> >over a
>> > 12 month period. The data i have for example is
>> >                Actual Profile
>> > Jan 77723 77723
>> > Feb 75319 67582
>> > Mar 72047 73469
>> > Apr 69557 81048
>> > May 76672 88563
>> > Jun 65068 77750
>> > Jul 63819 79528
>> > Aug 71079 90357
>> > Sep 65793 85348
>> > 0 0 0
>> > 0 0 0
>> > 0 0 0
>> >
>> > Obviously i have not received the data for the last three months yet
>> > but i
>> > need to keep the formulas in to automatically update the information. I
>> > want
>> > to select all of the information in this area but not show zeros on my
>> > chart.
>> > This chart will then update every month as the data updates. Is this
>> > possible
>> > to do. Please can someone help me.
>> > Thanks

0
andy9699 (3616)
10/27/2008 3:43:26 PM
Do i put that formula in the chart data source?

Thanks for your help on this one.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> The formula would be
>
> =IF( <test> , <valid data> , NA() )
>
> You could also use #N/A. Anything else will be treated as text and text is
> plotted as zero.
>
> If you do not want the months included on the axis then you will need to
> create some named ranges and based the chart data upon those.
> You find information on dynamic named ranges here,
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:B02A78D6-F622-4918-87BF-25B643CDAF31@microsoft.com...
> > If i use N/A it still shows N/A along the bottom axis and goes to zero. I
> > don't want to include these cells if null value on the chart data.
> >
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You need to modify your formula  to use NA() instead of zero.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:DD56B100-FB96-417A-B127-474E9E7F301C@microsoft.com...

If it shows N/A on the X axis, it sounds as if you are using the confusingly
named line chart instead of an XY chart.
--
David Biddulph

"Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B02A78D6-F622-4918-87BF-25B643CDAF31@microsoft.com...
> If i use N/A it still shows N/A along the bottom axis and goes to zero. I
> don't want to include these cells if null value on the chart data.
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You need to modify your formula  to use NA() instead of zero.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:DD56B100-FB96-417A-B127-474E9E7F301C@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a spreadsheet set up that updates the information every month
>> >over a
>> > 12 month period. The data i have for example is
>> >                Actual Profile
>> > Jan 77723 77723
>> > Feb 75319 67582
>> > Mar 72047 73469
>> > Apr 69557 81048
>> > May 76672 88563
>> > Jun 65068 77750
>> > Jul 63819 79528
>> > Aug 71079 90357
>> > Sep 65793 85348
>> > 0 0 0
>> > 0 0 0
>> > 0 0 0
>> >
>> > Obviously i have not received the data for the last three months yet
>> > but i
>> > need to keep the formulas in to automatically update the information. I
>> > want
>> > to select all of the information in this area but not show zeros on my
>> > chart.
>> > This chart will then update every month as the data updates. Is this
>> > possible
>> > to do. Please can someone help me.
>> > Thanks

0
David
10/27/2008 4:35:45 PM
Hi All,

I think we are working across purposes with the OP.  The formulas everyone
is talking about, Emma, look like this =IF(R1=0,NA(),R1)  The NA is a
function not text.  Second, if you have functions in the X-axis columns,
don't use this, they will display as #N/A on the X-axis.

I suspect you don't want to display the months unless you have data other
than 0, is that correct?  If so you may want to consider Dynamic Range Names.
 Post back if this is what you want.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"David Biddulph" wrote:

> If it shows N/A on the X axis, it sounds as if you are using the confusingly
> named line chart instead of an XY chart.
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:B02A78D6-F622-4918-87BF-25B643CDAF31@microsoft.com...
> > If i use N/A it still shows N/A along the bottom axis and goes to zero. I
> > don't want to include these cells if null value on the chart data.
> >
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You need to modify your formula  to use NA() instead of zero.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:DD56B100-FB96-417A-B127-474E9E7F301C@microsoft.com...

No formula in the data source.
The formula is in the cells where you currently display chart data or zero.

Cheers
Andy

--

message news:7183CE58-DB77-4FCB-B857-3D864E422D37@microsoft.com...
> Do i put that formula in the chart data source?
>
> Thanks for your help on this one.
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> The formula would be
>>
>> =IF( <test> , <valid data> , NA() )
>>
>> You could also use #N/A. Anything else will be treated as text and text
>> is
>> plotted as zero.
>>
>> If you do not want the months included on the axis then you will need to
>> create some named ranges and based the chart data upon those.
>> You find information on dynamic named ranges here,
>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>

>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Emma Chapman 123" <EmmaChapman123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:B02A78D6-F622-4918-87BF-25B643CDAF31@microsoft.com...
>> > If i use N/A it still shows N/A along the bottom axis and goes to zero.
>> > don't want to include these cells if null value on the chart data.

0
andy9699 (3616)

Legend on Chart

Out of Office doesn't reply the external mails after migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 #2
After I have made an In-Place migration of Exchange server with all of the mailboxes on it without using exmerge, the Out-of-Office of most of the old users, which are created before migration, replies only the internal mails but no more external mails. The Out-of -Office of the new users, which are created after migration, works however very well. Using Mdbvu32.exe (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248709/en-us) I have removed the inbox rules (each row with CB items, OOF Rules or MSFT:TDX OOF Rules under "Associated Messages in Fld") and even all rules in an inbox under it. But thi...

Demographic chart?

Publisher-How do I change calendars 04 to 05 without losing data?
I have a current document 12 calendars with data in each day. I am trying to change the calendars from 04 to 05 with losing the existing data. Is there a way the data can stay in the same spot and the dates change. I also want to keep the same layout I currently have. I have tried using calendar options but cannot get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Manually... You can try this, Expand your existing calendar by 12 months. On the toolbar, edit, office clipboard, this will give you 24 copied items you can collect. Copy your data, go to the next year, place your cursor where you...

Excel help #2
Hi - I'm pretty familiar with most stuff in excel and I'd say I'm an intermediate user. I would like to learn how to do vba in excel. Does anyone know of any online help or tutorials that would teach me? If possible, I would like interactive suggestions. Thanks in advance. Newtechie David McRitchie's "Getting Started". Note links to other sites at the boittom of the page. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm VBA Tutorial from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/support/excel/content/vba101/default.asp There are many more, but these sho...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

Debra Dalgleish-help with worksheet data entry
Hi Debra, I browsed your website and found this new data entry worksheet(http://contextures.com/xlForm02.html) which was very good and i showed my boss.He liked the idea of it and thus asked me to work on it.I managed to add a few more fields and it worked fine. I have a cell named "Documentation to support requirement" at B11 and its corresponding text box at D11.My problem now is that at D11, i need two kind of controls one is drop down list box for document type and another control is text box for document name.How do i achieve this? i need both of this control's answer to b...

Data summary
I have a 13 sheet report with each line a different date and each column different data, I want to puul date specific data to a summary sheet using date entry on the summary sheet ie. 04/10/10 = 04/10/10 on each line of the data sheets and I want to pull the data from column A,B,F,G I hope I have explained this clearly ...

Format of data import from a database
I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter. Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to click in each cell to force the formatting to work? This spreadsheet as over 1500 rows of data. I get this every time I export data from either SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database. Any help or information is greatly apprecia...

How do I create a chart....

Show summerised data
Hi all I'm using vb.net 2005. I have an app with a Form containing a Tab control with 5 pages. 1 page records time booked to a particular job using a DataGridView control. All works OK. The question, how do I place on the same Tab as the DataGridView a summary of hours recorded. I have a Group By query with a Sum function that summerises the hours by job category in the Hours TableAdaptor. Its being able to display query results on the Tab that I can't do. Guidance most welcome. TIA johnb ...

Chart items moving around

Adding amount from 1 colum depending on # piece amount in colum 2
L8 through L14 has $amount, N8 through N14 has # of pieces. I need N15 to have the total $amount. Example L8 N8 23.00 2 14.00 0 5.00 1 N!4 51.00 I have searched and found a few examples but had a lot more involvement Thanks Thanks Mike What you appear to be doing can be a very simple calculation of =L8*N8+L9*N9+L10*N10 (in your given figures) but that is not a satisfactory way to handle this problem. You should be using a column which calculates the total value of each row and...

sort FUNCTION SPLITS DATA INTO TWO GROUPS
I'm using Excel '97. I had two versions of a spreadsheet I was using, and copied several lines of data from one and pasted them into the other. Now, when I sort the larger of the two the data separates into two groups. The pasted data (or newly added data) sorts first, and then the original material sorts as a second group. I've tried reformatting the columns, etc. and an stumped. Any ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Rick assuming the data you are sorting on is numeric, it sounds as though one set of data is truly numeric data and the other is see...

Get $500 To Your PAYPAL Account In Just A Minutes #2
Do you need some extra money right now? Would you be interested to get $500 daily Paypal Money through some genuine tricks from home internet ? Get Money Online for FREE! Get started in the next few minutes without FEES..... Yes Absolutely ... This TRICK is absolutely FREE for all..... See the FORM for details on how to get $500 to your account. Due to some Premises I Have Hidden the FORM in an IMAGE ...... CLICK on the IMAGE which is BELOW the SEARCH BOX http://www.webinfos4all.euro.st ...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

Cascading Combos in Data Access Page [DAP]
In DAP, can I have 1 control [courses] affect other 2 controls [course_date_1st_choice] and [course_date_2nd_choice]. I usually do this in Form by using Select Case but i need to know how i can manage to do it in DAP. Any help please? It's very complicated to do that in DAP. You should post in the official DAP newsgroup but this newsgroup is practically dead because very few people are still using them but Ken Snell is still often answering questions there. By looking at an old DAP file that I have here, I see that for doing this, I was storing the value of the combo...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...