Changing chart types with series

Hi,

I currently have a graph comprised of 4 different series. 2 of the series
are bar graphs, 2 others are line graphs. The problem is that one of the bar
graphs is overtop of the other bar graph meaning I can't see that series.
I've tried going in and changing it by changing the overlapped bar graph to a
line graph but I can't seem to do it. I've right clicked, selected chart
types but I can't change only 1 series of the graph. Is there anyway to do
this? Thanks,
--
miteeka
0

Sounds like one column is on the primary and the other is on the secondary
axis. You need some dummy column series that are hidden but still take up
space to push the visible columns into alignment:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"miteeka" <miteeka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a graph comprised of 4 different series. 2 of the series
> are bar graphs, 2 others are line graphs. The problem is that one of the
> bar
> graphs is overtop of the other bar graph meaning I can't see that series.
> I've tried going in and changing it by changing the overlapped bar graph
> to a
> line graph but I can't seem to do it. I've right clicked, selected chart
> types but I can't change only 1 series of the graph. Is there anyway to do
> this? Thanks,
> --
> miteeka

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/15/2007 6:34:14 PM
But how do I automatically turn the second bar graph into a line graph? This
will give me 1 bar graph and 3 line graphs in total. Thanks,
--
miteeka

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Sounds like one column is on the primary and the other is on the secondary
> axis. You need some dummy column series that are hidden but still take up
> space to push the visible columns into alignment:
>
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "miteeka" <miteeka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I currently have a graph comprised of 4 different series. 2 of the series
> > are bar graphs, 2 others are line graphs. The problem is that one of the
> > bar
> > graphs is overtop of the other bar graph meaning I can't see that series.
> > I've tried going in and changing it by changing the overlapped bar graph
> > to a
> > line graph but I can't seem to do it. I've right clicked, selected chart
> > types but I can't change only 1 series of the graph. Is there anyway to do
> > this? Thanks,
> > --
> > miteeka

0
miteeka (5)
2/15/2007 7:21:14 PM
Don't use the built in custom type. Make the chart with all of one type,
like columns, then select one series, and use Chart menu > Chart Type to
change it to another type, like line.

- Jon
-------

> But how do I automatically turn the second bar graph into a line graph?
> This
> will give me 1 bar graph and 3 line graphs in total. Thanks,
> --
> miteeka
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Sounds like one column is on the primary and the other is on the
>> secondary
>> axis. You need some dummy column series that are hidden but still take up
>> space to push the visible columns into alignment:
>>
>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "miteeka" <miteeka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I currently have a graph comprised of 4 different series. 2 of the
>> > series
>> > are bar graphs, 2 others are line graphs. The problem is that one of
>> > the
>> > bar
>> > graphs is overtop of the other bar graph meaning I can't see that
>> > series.
>> > I've tried going in and changing it by changing the overlapped bar
>> > graph
>> > to a
>> > line graph but I can't seem to do it. I've right clicked, selected
>> > chart
>> > types but I can't change only 1 series of the graph. Is there anyway to
>> > do
>> > this? Thanks,
>> > --
>> > miteeka

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

setup option to roll down changes from customer card billing addre
I received a suggestion that if a user makes a change to the bill to address on the customer card, you should be able to roll the changes down to your transactions. The custoemr would like to see a setup option that would do this. I received this suggestion at convergence. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader...

Change margin on one page not all
I am trying to insert a powerpoint 2007 created project into Word 2007, but the margins crop some of them off. When I try to change the margins on one page it changes them all. Can anyone offer advise on what to do. I only want to change the margins on the one page. You will need to have a separate section to accomplish what you wish, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/workwithsectionscontent.htm for further information. Hope this helps DeanH "firefiten" wrote: > I am trying to insert a powerpoint 2007 created project into Word 2007, but >...

How to chart monthly sales for successive years
I want to show monthly figures with a line chart, with the second year coming after the first, the third year after the second, etc. I don't want the years to bunch up, ie 3 years-worth of bars for Jan, Feb, etc. I want Jan-Dec 2006, then Jan-Dec 2007, and so forth. Thanks for your help! Create a table with the dates across the top e.g. Jan-07, Feb-07, etc, then have the monthly sales figures below the dates. Select the dates and the sales numbers and click on insert chart. You can see an example of this at www.tejniya.co.uk, click on documents and goto Excel. MVK "wolf...

Changed user in AD, but can't change in CRM 3
Hello, I've got CRM 3 on SBS 2003, I just had a one person leave and a replacement come in. So I have renamed the account in AD, and thats working fine. But I cant change/delete the original account in CRM. I cant add the new persons account. When I try to add the new person, CRM seems to look in AD and says the account is already in use. Possibly a problem with the SID ? Anyone found a way around this, or come across it before? And I disabled the original account, and still could not add the new person. The following post discusses the situation... http://www.microsoft.com/Bus...

Legend in charts
how do i change the legends in multiple charts to read the same thing? Hi, In what way? The legend reflects what is in each chart, so if your charts are different, so will your legends be. Or are you referring to the formatting? Dave "queenie" wrote: > how do i change the legends in multiple charts to read the same thing? ...

Auto Scaling Charts
I am trying (in Vain) to auto scale bar charts in excel. I have attempted a macro in VB to do this, but it just seems to do nothing, does not fail or succeeds. If anyone could take a look at the macro below and assist in where it is going wrong would be much appreciated. Thanks Sub AutoScaleCharts() Dim ws As Worksheet Dim cht As ChartObject Dim ValuesArray(), SeriesValues As Variant Dim Ctr As Integer, TotCtr As Integer For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets For Each cht In ws.ChartObjects For Each X In cht.Chart.SeriesCollection SeriesValues = X.Values ...

Changing a header in a protected form 2007
I have a template that has certain sections protected. The first part is a fill in form. The second part is a body of text that is not protected allowing the user to change styles, underline, change font etc. The problem is that if the user needs to use a second page they will have to put in header information. I.e the name of the document and page number. On the first page is the logo, but on secvond and corresponding pages I would like the user to be able to name the document and have the page numbers work. Is there any way to do this functionality in 2007? I desparately need ...

Range Names changing by themselves
I everyone, my problem is that I have many sheets (1 for each week of the year) an in each i have like 550 defined range. I need to acces these range for data compilation and everything seeme to be working fine until 4-5 weeks ago... now, the range names of the cells of one line is set to the line afte and the cells where the range name should be is set to nothing (well.. g55 for exemple... back to normal state) Exemple : (range1) = "g55 " (range2) = "what range1 sould be" (range3) = "is OK" and this problem appears to be random and append 1 or 2 times by ...

Changing the currency symbol
The currency symbol on the RMS reports is coming out as a $ (dollar) sign. I would prefer to use the £ (pound) sign. How do I change the reports to use the correct currency sign? Tim HelloTim, Go to the Control Panel -->Regional Option --->Click on Customize Button and Select Currency.In the Currency Symbol select OR type Pound Sign.Make sure to Apply.Start the SO Manager again. -- With Regards Junaid Idrees Associate Project Manager Enterprise Business Solutions 4th Floor mehdi towers,shahra-e-faisal karachi,Pakistan. 092-021-4392536 "Tim Smith" wrote: > The...

Change Case button?
Hello All, Is there anything like a Change Case button in Excel? I sometimes need to click on a cell, and change the case of the contents of the text in the cell. Ideally, I could click on a cell and then highlight only part of the cell text and change the case of only the selected text. I've looked in the Customize window, but don't find such a button, although I'm fairly certain there is one in MS Word, which is why I'm hopeful that there may be such a capability in Excel. Thanks. Hiking There is no Change Case button native to Excel. There are the Functions UPPE...

Bizarre XSD File Format Changes with Web Developer?
I have a bizarre problem when I try to validate XML documents and their schemas once they have been opened and transfered to a Visual Web Developer 2005 Express project. I receive validation errors for XML/XSDs that worked fine when first created in another environment (XMLSpy trial). I have a source XML document and an XSD file created wtih XMLSpy and stored in a separate folder. When I run a very simple VBScript to validate the XML with the XSD (in the process of a bulkload to SQL Server with SQLXMLBulkload.4.0), there are no validation errors, and the load to the DB works perfectly....

Changing chart background color in Excel 97 SR 2
I am fairly new to this so please bear with me. I have a chart based on numbers in a spread that has a grey background (The chart) but I would like the background to be white and can not get it to change. I right clicked on the chart and went to Format Chart Area, Patterns, Fill Effects, Patterns and changed the background to white but the ok button is greyed out. Am using Excel (Office) 97 SR 2 TIA http://members.aol.com/larrystark/ Right click (or double click) on the gray region, which is the Plot Area. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tut...

Excel 2000
Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. Hi, There are limits but it's not 10. What data do you have in those 10 cells? Cheers Andy Bob wrote: > Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can > only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one > gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info I a...

Combo Boxes in Charts
I have created a chart which includes a combo box which refers to a list of names. The problem is that the font size is too small - size 10 - and I would like to make it bigger. Have tried changing the font size of the data range for the combo box but this has no effect. The properties of the combo box let me change its size but not the font size of the list of items. Any suggestions. Thanks Shirley Munro -- Shirley Munro ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shirley Munro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=83...

how to change the color of the sheet tab
Hi everybody How can I programaticly change the color of the sheet Tab (the place where the sheet name appears) thanks Just an example: ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Tab.ColorIndex = 28 In general: just do it manually and record your actions. Than inspect the recorded macro and change where needed. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "yosi_lb" <yosi_lb@bezeqint.net> wrote in message news:45be0a67@news.bezeqint.net... | Hi everybody | How can I programaticly change the color of the sheet Tab (the place where | the sheet name appears) | |...

How to change size of a drive on Exchange Server
I have a RAID 5 setup and have divided the space into 4 drives (C, E, F, G). One of the drives is too big (G), and I'd like to reclaim the space and give it to one of the other drives (F). The drive that is too big contains only Exchange transaction logs. Is there a way that I could stop Exchange, temporarily move the transaction logs to F, delete the partition that was G, enlarge drive F (which contains the Exchange database), and then redefine a smaller G partition for the transaction logs, all without losing data? Thanks very much in advance. On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:36:02 -0...

To Mr. Liengme: Re My previous Post Concerning My Bar Chart Problem
Hello again Mr. Liengme, I tried what you suggested, and it works just fine. But, I really don't understand what, exactly, I am doing when I do this cell deletion. And then "select that cell (B1) down to the last and across to C". a. Can you explain, please what I am accomplishing when I do this ? What happens or changes in the Formatting, or... ? b. Also, I thought I would be clever and formatted one column as text. This did not work. Why not ? Thanks again; really appreciate your time and help/ Bob ------------------------- Your x and y values are both num...

Changing screen resolution settings?
A mate changed his display settings on his XP machine but chose a setting too high for the card/monitor. Now the display is all gobbledegook..he wants to revert to a lower setting but can't view anything on the screen! How does he access and change his screen display settings? "peejaa" wrote: > A mate changed his display settings on his XP machine but chose a setting > too high for the card/monitor. Now the display is all gobbledegook..he wants > to revert to a lower setting but can't view anything on the screen! How does > he access and ...

RTV
A customer-owned item was originally shipped to a vendor with a Repair & Replace RTV type generated through an RMA to a vendor. The vendor determines that the item shipped is beyond economical repair and offers a replacement item in return. What is the preferred way to reflect this change in Field Services Returns Management? Once the RTV has been shipped, the RTV Entry/Update window does not allow the RTV Type to be changed. The options I have thought of are 1. Pretend the item being returned is the original item shipped. I don’t like this option because the price for repairs is o...

control chart scale with cell value in excel
I would like to control the Min. and Max. values for the x & y axes in a XY scatter chart with cell values. Does anybody know how to do this? Excel 2003 jjw: Here's a post that shows a simple[le VBA approach. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_set_x_axis_min__max_dates.htm Kelly O'Day http://processtrends.com "jjw" <jjw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B743C713-7053-42F4-B005-2C7B594AA86F@microsoft.com... >I would like to control the Min. and Max. values for the x & y axes in a XY > scatter chart with cell values. > Does anybody...

Change color of specific text piece
Any idea of a suitable piece of code to convert the fonts' color of ONLY the WORD "people", in the CURRENT SELECTION? In other words, instead of hitting F2 a hundred times, placing the cursor to the specific piece of text everytime, selecting it, and changing it to red (for example), and then again moving to the other cell, there should be a single code to carryout the exercise. -- Thanx in advance, Best Regards, Faraz Hi Faraz Try the below macro which works on the current selection Sub FindAndColorCharacterWithinCell() Dim cell As Range, intPos as...

Upgrading an OS, changing an OS, Downgrading an OS?
I was wondering something. This is the situation: I currently have an OEM computer that came with Windows XP 32-bit. I just called Microsoft and asked the rep: if I were to install a windows Vista or 7 upgrade onto this computer, can I later clear the system completely, and re-install the original version of windows XP from the boot dvd-rom? I was encouraged to go with the upgrade from my current XP install, not buy a new full-version OS. People on this site and a few others have recommended against the upgrades, and to do the clean installs. I have XP Home premium. If I put...

Automate dynamic Charts from Macro Web Query
Hello all Excel users- I am a bit new to the list and cannot find a solution online as of yet I am doing a web query to bring in information and then running a sor on the information. I want to take the data (static columns wit Dynamic rows) and plot the information in stacked 3D column graph. The data is CPU-Utilization breakdown by percent ranges across multipl servers: Servename Month 0%-9% 10%-19% 20%-29%.....100% Server 1 January .33 .19 .46 0 Now I can't figure a way to accomodate for additional servers on th chart when it gets added. How do ...

Scattered chart combined with columns and time-x-axis in XL2007
Dear Group, until XL2003 I could create a column chart, configure the x-axis to as a time-axis (for x-scaling purposes) and I could place scattered charts (as carrier for text and symbols) at any (non-integer) x-position. Using XL2007, scattered charts can only be positioned on x-integer-values. So I am forced to put a second transparent scattered-chart over the column-chart? Or is there any better way to do this in ONE chart? Thanks in advance: Holger. Ironically, the XY series can plot anywhere along a text axis in 2007. The first category is at X=1, the second at X=2, etc. I hadn...

Daily Price Change % Not Showing
I have chosen to have the % change from previous days price option in Money Plus. Also, the price change from previous day price - same results. No numbers. After each daily download this column shows no information. Interesting that when I sort on this column, there is some sorting avtivity going on but nothing displayed. This feature worked fine in Money 2005 but not here in PLUS. Any Suggestions? Many Thanks "Birdflu" wrote: > I have chosen to have the % change from previous days price option in Money > Plus. > Also, the price change from previous day price...