Changing an axis to show time with hour intervals

I am trying to create a chart from a spreadsheet of data that has 3 years and
all 12 months. Each month has different days and different times where data
was pulled. What I want to do is create a chart with all the months in the
data and have the axis showing time intervals of an hour each starting from
12:00am-12:00am with the hours in between 12:00am, 1:00am, etc). Can anyone
help me? I have tried using the scale under the format axis tab but can't
figure out how to show time in intervals. Thanks.
0
hollis78 (2)

If your combined date and time is in A2, use =MOD(A2,1) to get just the
time, and use that as the X-axis series for your chart.
--
David Biddulph

"hollis78" <hollis78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create a chart from a spreadsheet of data that has 3 years
>and
> all 12 months. Each month has different days and different times where
> data
> was pulled. What I want to do is create a chart with all the months in the
> data and have the axis showing time intervals of an hour each starting
> from
> 12:00am-12:00am with the hours in between 12:00am, 1:00am, etc). Can
> anyone
> help me? I have tried using the scale under the format axis tab but can't
> figure out how to show time in intervals. Thanks.

0
David
10/6/2008 5:15:54 PM
I have 1470 lines of data with the Date and time on different cells. It looks
like this:

A1: Fri Feb 13, 2004
A:2 5:00 PM

it goes all the way down to A:1470. I have tried to separate the time from
the date by making two columns (A: date B:time) but that doesn't work either.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

> If your combined date and time is in A2, use =MOD(A2,1) to get just the
> time, and use that as the X-axis series for your chart.
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "hollis78" <hollis78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to create a chart from a spreadsheet of data that has 3 years
> >and
> > all 12 months. Each month has different days and different times where
> > data
> > was pulled. What I want to do is create a chart with all the months in the
> > data and have the axis showing time intervals of an hour each starting
> > from
> > 12:00am-12:00am with the hours in between 12:00am, 1:00am, etc). Can
> > anyone
> > help me? I have tried using the scale under the format axis tab but can't
> > figure out how to show time in intervals. Thanks.

0
hollis78 (2)
10/6/2008 5:44:13 PM
So, what do you want your x-axis to look like?  Dates and times or
just times?  If just times, then if you have multiple readings on
different dates but at the same time, you expect to have all those
values plotted one above the other corresponding to that time on the
x-axis.  Correct?

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:44:13 -0700, hollis78
<hollis78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

I have 1470 lines of data with the Date and time on different cells.
It looks
like this:

A1: Fri Feb 13, 2004
A:2 5:00 PM

"David Biddulph" wrote:

> If your combined date and time is in A2, use =MOD(A2,1) to get just the
> time, and use that as the X-axis series for your chart.
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "hollis78" <hollis78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to create a chart from a spreadsheet of data that has 3 years
> >and
> > all 12 months. Each month has different days and different times where
> > data
> > was pulled. What I want to do is create a chart with all the months in the
> > data and have the axis showing time intervals of an hour each starting
> > from
> > 12:00am-12:00am with the hours in between 12:00am, 1:00am, etc). Can
> > anyone
> > help me? I have tried using the scale under the format axis tab but can't
> > figure out how to show time in intervals. Thanks.

Regards,

Tushar Mehta
Microsoft MVP Excel 2000-2008
www.tushar-mehta.com
Tutorials and add-ins for Excel, PowerPoint, and other products
0
Tushar

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Stop sheet showing when Using Datapig's Force Users to enable macr
Hi, I think this is probably not do-able I'm using Datapig Technologies example to force users to enable macros When the workbook is closed all sheets other than a warning sheet are very hidden so that if the workbook is opened with macros disabled then the user can only see a warning sheet saying to close and open with macros enabled. Then on opening with macros enabled the waring sheet is very hidden and the other sheets can be seen. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheets("Warning").Visible = True Sh...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Time calculations for Scheduled vs Actual Employee Time and Wages 11-28-09
I am THRYING and TRYING to make a simple schedule worksheet for a manger to use to calculate the time he schedules an employee to clock in and out and what it will cost him in regards to his allocated budget and then to be able to compare it after the job is completed. BUT time calculations have thrown me for loop and I am stuck for hours on trying to calculate time fields. PLEASE DEAR GOD can someone help me. Below is a simple example of my worksheet. A2 (Time IN) = 1:00 PM A3 (Time OUT) = 5:00 PM A4 (Time Worked) = 4:00 (h:mm format) ...

Pivot Table showing wrong data
I have a table with information such as Salesperson, Customer, Sales $, Year, Month, Date_Customer_Started. The data contains info for 2009 and 2010. I am trying to determine for every new account created in 2009 and 2010, Sales by new customer and salesperson. The Pivot table has sales data and count of customers by year and the rows contain Salesperson, Customer, Month and date_Customer_started. I expect if a customer started in April 2009, and the customer continuing to buy in 2010, sales figures by year and month and the count of customer only in 2009. But the pivot table sh...

Outlook 2003 MSKSrver.exe! RUNS ALL TIME HOGS MEMORY!
Outlook 2003 Too Slow! I used the MicroSoft task manager to find-out what all the action in the background is! MSKSrver.exe RUNS ALL the time at 85 to 95 CPU and the CPU total usage is near 100% ALL the time with nothing major running but MSKSrver.exe! Whenever I try to do anything else, the new application takes forever to get going as it must compete with MSKSrver.exe! Why is that database server working all the time? What is it doing? I do not use "Favorite Folders" or "Business Contact Manager" yet, though those are areas show in MAIL, empty. I don'...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

Nonnumerical Axis in Excel Charts
Hello, Essentially, when plotting a series of Acid/Base ratios in cells with text formatting (ex. "0/100", "10/90", etc.") (X-axis) versus temperature change per ratio (Y-axis), Excel charts the actual row numbers (ex. 1, 2, 3, etc.) for the X-axis instead of "0/100", "10/90", etc. Fraction and Number formatting of the ratio cells does not change this either. Thank you. Robert Agee Purdue University It depends which chart type you use. If you use column chart type, the X axis should be your lables (10/90, etc.) not row numbers. If you use ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

grand total on a row
I have the option selected to show both row and column grand totals. The column totals are showing but the row totals are not. I've tried unchecking and rechecking, but it doesn't help - they still down't show. Any suggestions? Sheryl, Are setting these options for a pivot table or a worksheet? "Sheryl Lawson" wrote: > I have the option selected to show both row and column grand totals. The > column totals are showing but the row totals are not. I've tried unchecking > and rechecking, but it doesn't help - they still down't sho...

X-Axis word wrap
Is there a way to turn off the word wrap on the x-axis labels? I have labels that are relatively long 2-3 words each, but I am not able to find a way to keep the text from wrapping. When a label wraps, it tends to overlap the next labels. I have plenty of room, but when I resize the chart, at seems to size of the x-axis label area moves proportionally. Can this area be enlarged? Hi, You have very limited control over the layout of the axis labels. If you use the ChartArea format dialog you can uncheck the Auto Scale option on the Font tab. This will stop the font changing when you re...

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2