Change Y-Axis Run length?

I have a data table that uses data by week.  That data has 52 weeks.  I
build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52.  Great.

I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
goes from 1 to 26.  The data in my chart changes to reflect that,
(good,) but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26.
This wastes half of the space in my graph.  I am going to eventually
automate this with data From Access.

How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?

Thanx

Phil
0
phil7437 (9)

You should be able to click on the specific axis, then right click and format
axis.  Under Scale, you should be able to change the axis range.
--
TG

"Phil Smith" wrote:

> I have a data table that uses data by week.  That data has 52 weeks.  I
> build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52.  Great.
>
> I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
> goes from 1 to 26.  The data in my chart changes to reflect that,
> (good,) but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26.
> This wastes half of the space in my graph.  I am going to eventually
> automate this with data From Access.
>
> How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?
>
> Thanx
>
> Phil

0
Gerigto (1)
5/23/2007 2:12:00 AM
Thanx, but that is not going to cut it for this project.  I need the
axis to change based on the data it is presented.  Updating the data
should update the chart, including the axis.  Both the X and Y axis may
change by a couple of orders of magnitude between runs.  Having to go in
manually and change that each time, (currently expected to be more than
twenty times per day,) is just not feasible.

I thought the whole power of a spreadsheet was to automatically adjust
everything revolving around the data as the data is changed.

Got anything else?

Thanx
Phil

Gerigto wrote:
> You should be able to click on the specific axis, then right click and format
> axis.  Under Scale, you should be able to change the axis range.
0
phil7437 (9)
5/23/2007 4:53:03 PM
If you set the axis options to auto, then it will adjust to suit your data,
but it will do it in the way it wants, which isn't necessarily the way you
would prefer it.
--
David Biddulph

"Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message
> Thanx, but that is not going to cut it for this project.  I need the axis
> to change based on the data it is presented.  Updating the data should
> update the chart, including the axis.  Both the X and Y axis may change by
> a couple of orders of magnitude between runs.  Having to go in manually
> and change that each time, (currently expected to be more than twenty
> times per day,) is just not feasible.
>
> I thought the whole power of a spreadsheet was to automatically adjust
> everything revolving around the data as the data is changed.
>
> Got anything else?
>
> Thanx
> Phil
>

> Gerigto wrote:
>> You should be able to click on the specific axis, then right click and
>> format axis.  Under Scale, you should be able to change the axis range.

0
David
5/23/2007 6:21:48 PM
Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth of
data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

>I have a data table that uses data by week.  That data has 52 weeks.  I
>build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52.  Great.
>
> I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
> goes from 1 to 26.  The data in my chart changes to reflect that, (good,)
> but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26. This wastes
> half of the space in my graph.  I am going to eventually automate this
> with data From Access.
>
> How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?
>
> Thanx
>
> Phil

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/23/2007 9:09:50 PM
We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no sales,
during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count and
reorganization.  Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54.  :-)
> Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth of
> data?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a data table that uses data by week.  That data has 52 weeks.  I
>>build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52.  Great.
>>
>>I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
>>goes from 1 to 26.  The data in my chart changes to reflect that, (good,)
>>but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26. This wastes
>>half of the space in my graph.  I am going to eventually automate this
>>with data From Access.
>>
>>How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?
>>
>>Thanx
>>
>>Phil

0
phil7437 (9)
5/23/2007 9:52:56 PM
Let me restate:

> We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no sales,
> during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count and
> reorganization.  Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54.  :-)
>> Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth of
>> data?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a data table that uses data by week.  That data has 52 weeks.  I
>>>build a linechart and end up with a Y axis running from 1 to 52.  Great.
>>>
>>>I replace that Data table via Cut and Paste with a data table that only
>>>goes from 1 to 26.  The data in my chart changes to reflect that, (good,)
>>>but the Y-Axis still goes from 1 to 52, instead of 1 to 26. This wastes
>>>half of the space in my graph.  I am going to eventually automate this
>>>with data From Access.
>>>
>>>How can I reset that Y-Axis to reflect the data?
>>>
>>>Thanx
>>>
>>>Phil

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/24/2007 3:05:38 AM
I guess technically it is 51 weeks of data, covering a time period of 52
weeks, one week not returnign any data.  Is that your point?  Otherwise,
what is it?

Jon Peltier wrote:
> Let me restate:
>
> Why does the *Y axis* of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth of
> data?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message
>
>>We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no sales,
>>during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count and
>>reorganization.  Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54.  :-)
>>
>>>Why does the Y axis of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth of
>>>data?
>>>
>>>- Jon
>>>-------
>>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>>Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>>>_______
>>>

>>>"Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message

0
phil7437 (9)
5/24/2007 5:04:58 PM
The week numbers ought to be in the X axis of a line chart.

- Jon
-------

>I guess technically it is 51 weeks of data, covering a time period of 52
>weeks, one week not returnign any data.  Is that your point?  Otherwise,
>what is it?
>

> Jon Peltier wrote:
>> Let me restate:
>>
>> Why does the *Y axis* of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth
>> of
>> data?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>We closed our shipping and sales departments and therefore had no sales,
>>>during the last week and a day for comprehensive inventory count and
>>>reorganization.  Otherwise it would have gone from 1 to 54.  :-)

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/24/2007 6:37:24 PM
I guess the Category axis is the X axis.  My bad.

Jon Peltier wrote:
> The week numbers ought to be in the X axis of a line chart.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message
>
>>I guess technically it is 51 weeks of data, covering a time period of 52
>>weeks, one week not returnign any data.  Is that your point?  Otherwise,
>>what is it?
>>

>>Jon Peltier wrote:
>>
>>>Let me restate:
>>>
>>>Why does the *Y axis* of a line chart go from 1 to 52 for 52 weeks worth
>>>of
>>>data?
>>>
>>>- Jon
>>>-------
>>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>>Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>>>_______
>>>

>>>"Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message

0
phil7437 (9)
5/24/2007 7:36:40 PM
Mystery solved. Sorry if I was a little dense. Otherwise I might have
figured out what you were trying to say.

- Jon
-------

>I guess the Category axis is the X axis.  My bad.
>
> Jon Peltier wrote:
>> The week numbers ought to be in the X axis of a line chart.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Phil Smith" <phil@nhs-inc.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I guess technically it is 51 weeks of data, covering a time period of 52
>>>weeks, one week not returnign any data.  Is that your point?  Otherwise,
>>>what is it?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Outlook 2003 MSKSrver.exe! RUNS ALL TIME HOGS MEMORY!
Outlook 2003 Too Slow! I used the MicroSoft task manager to find-out what all the action in the background is! MSKSrver.exe RUNS ALL the time at 85 to 95 CPU and the CPU total usage is near 100% ALL the time with nothing major running but MSKSrver.exe! Whenever I try to do anything else, the new application takes forever to get going as it must compete with MSKSrver.exe! Why is that database server working all the time? What is it doing? I do not use "Favorite Folders" or "Business Contact Manager" yet, though those are areas show in MAIL, empty. I don'...

Change a formula to an acual number

Running Excel 2000 & 2007 Bug
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CA53A0.C4136A80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am able to run 2000 and 2007 on the same machine ok except for the = following The File Type associations are messed up. I have a bunch of files that = were created in 2000 and they have the *.xls extension. I want these = files(when double clicked) to open in Excel 2000. However, Excel 2007 = is dominating this action. I have tried changing the association for the *.xls file type to version = 200...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Nonnumerical Axis in Excel Charts
Hello, Essentially, when plotting a series of Acid/Base ratios in cells with text formatting (ex. "0/100", "10/90", etc.") (X-axis) versus temperature change per ratio (Y-axis), Excel charts the actual row numbers (ex. 1, 2, 3, etc.) for the X-axis instead of "0/100", "10/90", etc. Fraction and Number formatting of the ratio cells does not change this either. Thank you. Robert Agee Purdue University It depends which chart type you use. If you use column chart type, the X axis should be your lables (10/90, etc.) not row numbers. If you use ...

Should I change this code?

Prompted for password when running a report
Running CRm 3.0 on a single SBS 2003 box. Everything seems to work great except we get prompted for windows credentials when running a report. I verified the reports and reportserver website are using integrated authentication. The webserver is in the local intranet zone. Any ideas? Thanks Dave Dave, I'd first try adding the server as a 'trusted site' in IE, and under 'custom level' set User Authentication.Logon to "Automatic logon with current username and password". Hope that helps, Jeff Bennett CRM Practice Manager Solutions Consulting Group, Inc....

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

X-Axis word wrap
Is there a way to turn off the word wrap on the x-axis labels? I have labels that are relatively long 2-3 words each, but I am not able to find a way to keep the text from wrapping. When a label wraps, it tends to overlap the next labels. I have plenty of room, but when I resize the chart, at seems to size of the x-axis label area moves proportionally. Can this area be enlarged? Hi, You have very limited control over the layout of the axis labels. If you use the ChartArea format dialog you can uncheck the Auto Scale option on the Font tab. This will stop the font changing when you re...

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Using Time as axis, and displaying info on plots
Hi every one...i've been racking my brain out on this one. I'd like to come up with a way to display things better. Background: I am making a running worksheet that has events fo multiple days. each day has a varying number of events. In order t effectively display the data for my boss, the best way is to do it on 24 hour clock instead of the standard 12 hour clock. This allows us t see patterns occuring at certain times. The way I have it currently set up is converting times to angles an using the days as magnitudes. Basically doing a polar chart t cartesian conversion. This...

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2

colour change of dated box