cannot start the source application for this object in excel

An Excel file created in Excel 2000. It has an organizational chart. Replaced
computer and running Office 2003 SBE. Can open spreadsheet, but when I
double-click the chart object to edit, receive a "cannot start the source
application for this object".
--
Philip Mollica
President

The applets which created such things as org charts in Office were changed
for Office 1003, and apparently the new applets aren't clever enough to open
the old objects. I imagine it's possible to get back the older applets. I
did this to get back Photo Editor, which was removed by the Office 2003
installation. Insert a CD for an older version of Office. Choose custom
installation, and when you get a shopping list of components, uncheck
everything except for the item in Office Tools (or similarly named tree
branch). This should install and register the selected component.

Let us know if this worked.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Philip Mollica" <PhilipMollica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> An Excel file created in Excel 2000. It has an organizational chart.
> Replaced
> computer and running Office 2003 SBE. Can open spreadsheet, but when I
> double-click the chart object to edit, receive a "cannot start the source
> application for this object".
> --
> Philip Mollica
> President
> ZDT Networks LLC

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
5/24/2006 6:45:22 PM
Sure enough, I installed just the Org Chart from Office 2000 and it allowed
me to edit the object. Thank you so very much for the quick response!
--
Philip Mollica
President

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> The applets which created such things as org charts in Office were changed
> for Office 1003, and apparently the new applets aren't clever enough to open
> the old objects. I imagine it's possible to get back the older applets. I
> did this to get back Photo Editor, which was removed by the Office 2003
> installation. Insert a CD for an older version of Office. Choose custom
> installation, and when you get a shopping list of components, uncheck
> everything except for the item in Office Tools (or similarly named tree
> branch). This should install and register the selected component.
>
> Let us know if this worked.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Philip Mollica" <PhilipMollica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > An Excel file created in Excel 2000. It has an organizational chart.
> > Replaced
> > computer and running Office 2003 SBE. Can open spreadsheet, but when I
> > double-click the chart object to edit, receive a "cannot start the source
> > application for this object".
> > --
> > Philip Mollica
> > President
> > ZDT Networks LLC

Thanks for verifying that it works. I wasn't 100% certain.

- Jon
-------

> Sure enough, I installed just the Org Chart from Office 2000 and it
> allowed
> me to edit the object. Thank you so very much for the quick response!
> --
> Philip Mollica
> President
> ZDT Networks LLC
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> The applets which created such things as org charts in Office were
>> changed
>> for Office 1003, and apparently the new applets aren't clever enough to
>> open
>> the old objects. I imagine it's possible to get back the older applets. I
>> did this to get back Photo Editor, which was removed by the Office 2003
>> installation. Insert a CD for an older version of Office. Choose custom
>> installation, and when you get a shopping list of components, uncheck
>> everything except for the item in Office Tools (or similarly named tree
>> branch). This should install and register the selected component.
>>
>> Let us know if this worked.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Philip Mollica" <PhilipMollica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > An Excel file created in Excel 2000. It has an organizational chart.
>> > Replaced
>> > computer and running Office 2003 SBE. Can open spreadsheet, but when I
>> > double-click the chart object to edit, receive a "cannot start the
>> > source
>> > application for this object".
>> > --
>> > Philip Mollica
>> > President
>> > ZDT Networks LLC

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Password Protection
I have forgotten a password. Is there a way to access this file having forgotten the password or am I am out of luck. Barry Nathan brnathanz@hotmail.com brnathanz@yahoo.com brnpersonal@yahoo.com http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html if it is just a workbook or sheet password -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "B R Nathan" <B R Nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47176974-BBDE-4CD6-962B-7830180C2187@microsoft.com... > I have forgotten a password. Is there a way to access this file having > forgotten the password or am I am out of luck. > ...

How do I plot mean and error bars in Excel?
I am using Excel 2003 and cannot figure out how to plot means and standard error bars, where I have data arranged like this: 3 5 5 9 6 4 7 3 Mean Mean Hi Rik, Make two series for your chart, Series 1 is data i.e. x y 3 5 5 9 6 4 7 3 Series 2 is means i.e. x y Mean Mean Series 2 will give you a single point on your chart, right click that point and select Format data series, click on the x error bars tab select "both" then click percentage and set it to 100% ...

Excel date field link to Word
I have an excel spreadsheet linked to a word document. The word document justs posts numbers if I use a date format in excel. If I format excel as text it displays the date as entered MM/DD/YY. Is there a way to keep my excel date format and have word display date in text and numbers, like"July 13,2005" See "Date-Time Picture (\@) field switch" in Word Help). In article <841B0C47-552D-447C-B1E8-BDB7B646859D@microsoft.com>, "Earl" <Earl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an excel spreadsheet linked to a word document. The word do...

Starting up on start-up help!

frustrated excel newbie
I am trying to make a monthly worksheet. I did get a drop down box set up, typed 6/1/2010 through 6/31/2010 in an empty column, used the validation tab, chose list and highlited the dates column which showed up as a formula in the validation window under my "list: choice. problem is, when I click on one of the dates I get a serial number, I am guessing that is what it is and no date??? Been at it for 3 hours trying different ways.what am I doing wrong here??? TJ hi format the cell with the validation to date. if formated as general, you will get the serial date number. ...

how do I export an endote library into an excel spreadsheet?

Automatic data conversion in Excel
When I enter or import data into Excel, 30/150 becomes 30/150, but 2/24 becomes Feb 01, 2024. How to prevent excel from interpereting the data wrong way? -- :-) enter '2/24 -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Dejan" <Dejan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9420C28-9CC7-44EE-97E5-3287E1895488@microsoft.com... > When I enter or import data into Excel, 30/150 becomes 30/150, but 2/24 > becomes Feb 01, 2024. How to prevent excel from interpereting the data wrong > way? > -- > :-) Thank you Tom, it works for key entry. Is it possible to prevent E...

Excel is giving me zeros
Excel is giving me zeros. I'll put in a formula that very obviously should give a non-zero result, but the cell says "0". I tried different simple formulas, even just =93=3Df8+f9=94, but the result is 0. The source cells have numbers entered into them. I checked formatting of the formula cell and of the source cells. I tried different formattings (number, percentage, etc) and they all give the result of 0. I have other spreadsheets that do the same thing. Any idea what could cause this? Have a look at the formatting applied to the cell - set it to General or Number. Also...

Need advice to start off a project
Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone out there help me? I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure it can be done automatically only how? On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of...

EXCEL BAR CHART
I am trying to gind a template that I can use to show sales monthly compared to last year's monthly Thanks Sounds to me like you just need a clustered column chart. 2007 2006 Jan xxxx xxxx Feb xxxx xxxx Mar xxxx xxxx etc. Note that the top left cell is blank; fight the urge to put a label like "Month" there, as the blank cell helps Excel interpret your data. Select the data, run the chart wizard, and choose a clustered column chart or a line chart in step 1. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://P...

How can I formt a date in Excel in the form mm/dd that switches t.
I have an application that uses the mm/dd format. However, some of our users are in the UK and I want to display the date as dd/mm, i.e. it switches automatically depending on the region. Excel does have a format that switches depending on the region (it's prefixed with a *) but it's in a form mm/dd/yyyy and I only want mm/dd. Anyone know if this can be done? I think you need VBA for that. This UDF *should* do it Function ShowDate(dDate As Date) As String ShowDate = Format$(dDate, "short date") Select Case Application.International(xlDateOrder) Case 0, 1...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

WANTED: Excel template for loan payment record with random/irregular payments
A previous poster explained what I also need; there were no responses, so I thought I would try again. Does anyone know of an Excel template--or a small stand-alone program--that will calculate the interest/principal breakdown when payments are varied in amount and frequency? Free or low-cost, please. I need one that will work on my Mac/Office 2004. I will need to print out periodic reports. Here is the way the previous poster described it: "Excel template: Loan Amortization for random/irregular payments, figures days between payment dates. I have a loan with a variable beginning bal...

This workbook contains links to other data sources
My workbook has links to other shared workbooks in the network. Whenever the file is opened, the user gets the message "This workbook contains links to other data sources". Is there a way to skip this prompt? Ya. I'd like an answer here too. Tools/Options/Edit/deselect "Ask to update automatic links" "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:ufimn$GSGHA.224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > My workbook has links to other shared workbooks in the network. Whenever > the file is opened, the user gets the message "This workbook contains lin...

Excel 2007 Pivot Tables
How do I set my pivot table so that it does not display any sums of values that are equal to zero? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt You can use conditional formatting to set the foreground colour to white if the cell contents are zero. Hope this helps. Pete On Mar 10, 2:19=A0pm, Barb Reinhardt <BarbReinha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I set my pivot table so that it does not display any sums of value= s > that are equal to zero? > > Thanks, > > Barb Reinhardt ...

Issue with Excel 2003
I have found that when I import information into Excel 2003, Hyphens ar not converted to a longer type symbol (almost like 2 hypen widths). I've seen it in Microsoft Access 2003 also. How can I get hyphens t remain as hyphens. For example, if I type a hyphen it shows up as -. But here's a copy of what gets imported �. as you can see it's wider. This gets annoying especially when I use Access and what to type i something for a query. Can you help me -- Good Intention ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Good Intentions's Profile: http://ww...

Cannot start Outlook 2002
My computer is usualy connected to an MS Exchange server at work. However I'd like to use Outlook at home with another e-mail account. When I try to start Outlook I get an error message : Cannot connect to exchange server. So I click work offline. Then, get another error message: Cannot start Outlook. Could not open information store. The the program quits. Anyone know a work around? Thanks. Create a new profile for your home account. Then set Outlook to prompt for profile. Select your home profile and Outlook will not try to connect to Exchange. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

Linking In Excel
I am linking from an Excel sheet to files which use other applications and I want to change the application that these files open with. The normal way of changing file associations does not work i.e. opening a JPEG file with ACDsee as the default opens with "Microsoft Photo Editor" through the Excel Link. Any Ideas? Solution to this would be most appreciated. Regards, Robotnik ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It is a Windows setting. O...

how to send data/message from win32 dll to mfc application?
Hi All , I have to send data from a Win32 DLL to mfc application. What are the possible ways to achieve this? In mfc application I have a document which should recieve this data . is it possible ? I read somewhere about PostMessage() method . it sends the message to applcations main window (CmainFrm ???) .Should I handle the messages sent by the dll and update my document from here ? Thanks in advance JustLikeDat ggurubasavaraja@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All , > > I have to send data from a Win32 DLL to mfc application. What are the > possible ways to achieve this? > In mfc a...

Macro or Lookup? Not sure where to start.
I have created two worksheets: 1) Auction Items Item# Table# Location# ItemDescription WinBid are the headers of the data. 2) Bidders Bidder# FirstName LastName I would like to be able to create a macro or something that will allow me to enter the item#, bidder# and winning bid price and have a sheet filled with. ie. Item# 2 (Handcrafted Table) Bidder# 12 (John Doe) Winning Bid $250 Can excel pull from two sheets and created another sheet with all the final details? I am a little new to excel (version 2000) it is the only tool/application available to us at this time. If anyone can poi...

Excel: Automatically Saving as Web Page
Hello all--Judging by the subject headings I see in this forum, I can tell that my problem is a relatively simple one. Well, hopefully, anyway. I suppose I ought to simply say what I'd like to have Excel do and perhaps some of you could tell me how that might be accomplished. Currently, I've successfully created a network of spreadsheets, where the value of one cell is pulled and copied into another cell in another spreadsheet (that value is then used to create a graph). The goal is to export that spreadsheet (the one containing the pulled value and resulting graph) as an html doc...

Outlook starting problem
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A dialog box is open. Close it and try again." ...

excel page breaks gone
working in Excel and has a very large file per user...states that when i go to set the print parameters I keep getting these page breaks for a document that is 1000 pages in excel which he printed..and now all his page breaks are gone...states parameters are no longer there any ideas why using excel 2000 Just a thought, why not clear all Page Breaks, select the entire document and then go to File | Set Print Area?? HTH ...

Running CHKDSK at start up
Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? PC runs Windows XP Pro SP3. This way all drives would be checked and errors fixed, if necessary, in one go, at start up on this machine. We intend to do this on this heavily used PC from time to time - we do not need the desired chkdsk functionality to kick in at every boot! Regards and TIA. Avatar -------- "Avatar" <Avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:hrb4n2$53i$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? ...

Excel Closing all windows on Alt+F4
Is there anywhy to make it so that excel does not close all excel windows when you press alt+F4? I have often done this and it is very annoying and sometimes does not prompt for you to save changes. Hi that's the purpose of ALT & F4 ... and AFAIK this is one that can't be changed as it's a windows shortcut not excel specific .. however, i'm concerned that you say that Excel sometimes does not prompt you to save changes ?!? ... can you elaborate on this a bit more? Cheers JulieD "Starfltcdrjr" <Starfltcdrjr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...