Cannot combine chart type error with only one chart.

I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with other
chart types. Select a different chart type."

Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There are no
other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet in the
workbook does not work.

I am running excel 07.

I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no problem.
Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
"disappears".

I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks they
can help.
0
Kermit (12)

That error message does not have anything to do with multiple charts/moving
charts. Its telling you that you can' combine chart types. I.e., you can't
make a chart with 1 series being a chart, and the other being a line chart.
Commonly used combination charts are column-line, scatter-column.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what's going wrong.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Kermit" wrote:

> I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with other
> chart types. Select a different chart type."
>
> Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There are no
> other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet in the
> workbook does not work.
>
> I am running excel 07.
>
> I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no problem.
> Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
> If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
> "disappears".
>
> I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks they
> can help.
0
LukeM (202)
2/4/2009 9:07:12 PM
Thans for your response Luke,

I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to combine chart types. I have
a column of 7 numbers that I want to make into a column chart. I do not want
any other chart type at all. Excel will not let me create a chart at all.

If I highlight my 7 numbers, then click insert, and then any type of chart
at all, I get the error message.

If I copy the data into a new workbook (copy, paste special, paste values),
it works fine. If I copy or move the worksheet to a new workbook, I get the
same error.

That's what leads me to believe that this one workbook is corrupted somehow.
I would prefer not to have to create this workbook from scratch again, and
while having two workbooks (one for data and one for charts) is a solution, I
don't think I should have to do that.

"Luke M" wrote:

> That error message does not have anything to do with multiple charts/moving
> charts. Its telling you that you can' combine chart types. I.e., you can't
> make a chart with 1 series being a chart, and the other being a line chart.
> Commonly used combination charts are column-line, scatter-column.
>
> Hope this gives you a better idea of what's going wrong.
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!*
>

> "Kermit" wrote:
>
> > I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with other
> > chart types. Select a different chart type."
> >
> > Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There are no
> > other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet in the
> > workbook does not work.
> >
> > I am running excel 07.
> >
> > I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no problem.
> > Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
> > If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
> > "disappears".
> >
> > I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks they
> > can help.
0
Kermit (12)
2/5/2009 12:04:53 AM
Hi,

If you want to email me the workbook I will take a look and see if I can
discover why, other than corruption, you get the message.
andy AT andypope DOT info

Do you have the service pack installed?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thans for your response Luke,
>
> I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to combine chart types. I
> have
> a column of 7 numbers that I want to make into a column chart. I do not
> want
> any other chart type at all. Excel will not let me create a chart at all.
>
> If I highlight my 7 numbers, then click insert, and then any type of chart
> at all, I get the error message.
>
> If I copy the data into a new workbook (copy, paste special, paste
> values),
> it works fine. If I copy or move the worksheet to a new workbook, I get
> the
> same error.
>
> That's what leads me to believe that this one workbook is corrupted
> somehow.
> I would prefer not to have to create this workbook from scratch again, and
> while having two workbooks (one for data and one for charts) is a
> solution, I
> don't think I should have to do that.
>
> "Luke M" wrote:
>
>> That error message does not have anything to do with multiple
>> charts/moving
>> charts. Its telling you that you can' combine chart types. I.e., you
>> can't
>> make a chart with 1 series being a chart, and the other being a line
>> chart.
>> Commonly used combination charts are column-line, scatter-column.
>>
>> Hope this gives you a better idea of what's going wrong.
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Luke M
>> *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!*
>>

>> "Kermit" wrote:
>>
>> > I am receiving the error "Some chart types cannot be combined with
>> > other
>> > chart types. Select a different chart type."
>> >
>> > Funny thing is... this is the only chart I am trying to create. There
>> > are no
>> > other charts in the entire workbook. Moving the data to another sheet
>> > in the
>> > workbook does not work.
>> >
>> > I am running excel 07.
>> >
>> > I can copy the data to a new workbook and create the chart with no
>> > problem.
>> > Is it possible that something in this specific workbook is corrupted?
>> > If I copy the chart from the new workbook to the bad one, all the data
>> > "disappears".
>> >
>> > I would be happy to email the file in question to someone who thinks
>> > they
>> > can help.

0
andy9699 (3616)
2/5/2009 9:12:28 AM
Thanks Andy. And yes all service packs are installed (windows and office).
When I run windows update there are no availalbe updates for windows or
office. That was one of the first things I tried.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you want to email me the workbook I will take a look and see if I can
> discover why, other than corruption, you get the message.
> andy AT andypope DOT info
>
> Do you have the service pack installed?
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thans for your response Luke,
> >
> > I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to combine chart types. I
> > have
> > a column of 7 numbers that I want to make into a column chart. I do not
> > want
> > any other chart type at all. Excel will not let me create a chart at all.
> >
> > If I highlight my 7 numbers, then click insert, and then any type of chart
> > at all, I get the error message.
> >
> > If I copy the data into a new workbook (copy, paste special, paste
> > values),
> > it works fine. If I copy or move the worksheet to a new workbook, I get
> > the
> > same error.
> >
> > That's what leads me to believe that this one workbook is corrupted
> > somehow.
> > I would prefer not to have to create this workbook from scratch again, and
> > while having two workbooks (one for data and one for charts) is a
> > solution, I
> > don't think I should have to do that.
> >
> > "Luke M" wrote:
> >
> >> That error message does not have anything to do with multiple
> >> charts/moving
> >> charts. Its telling you that you can' combine chart types. I.e., you
> >> can't
> >> make a chart with 1 series being a chart, and the other being a line
> >> chart.
> >> Commonly used combination charts are column-line, scatter-column.
> >>
> >> Hope this gives you a better idea of what's going wrong.
> >> --
> >> Best Regards,
> >>
> >> Luke M
> >> *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!*

0
Kermit (12)
2/5/2009 2:58:45 PM
Thanks for the example file.

The problem is caused by the name of the worksheet. The use of a period in
the sheet name whilst not prohibited does stop the chart from being created.

Simply changing the sheet name from A3.2 to A3-2 stops the dialog from
appearing and allows the chart to be created.

Cheers
Andy

--

> Thanks Andy. And yes all service packs are installed (windows and office).
> When I run windows update there are no availalbe updates for windows or
> office. That was one of the first things I tried.
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you want to email me the workbook I will take a look and see if I can
>> discover why, other than corruption, you get the message.
>> andy AT andypope DOT info
>>
>> Do you have the service pack installed?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thans for your response Luke,
>> >
>> > I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to combine chart types. I
>> > have
>> > a column of 7 numbers that I want to make into a column chart. I do not
>> > want
>> > any other chart type at all. Excel will not let me create a chart at
>> > all.
>> >
>> > If I highlight my 7 numbers, then click insert, and then any type of
>> > chart
>> > at all, I get the error message.
>> >
>> > If I copy the data into a new workbook (copy, paste special, paste
>> > values),
>> > it works fine. If I copy or move the worksheet to a new workbook, I get
>> > the
>> > same error.
>> >
>> > That's what leads me to believe that this one workbook is corrupted
>> > somehow.
>> > I would prefer not to have to create this workbook from scratch again,
>> > and
>> > while having two workbooks (one for data and one for charts) is a
>> > solution, I
>> > don't think I should have to do that.

0
andy9699 (3616)
2/5/2009 4:01:36 PM
Thanks so much Andy.
Hopefully this discussion will be helpful to others as well!

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Thanks for the example file.
>
> The problem is caused by the name of the worksheet. The use of a period in
> the sheet name whilst not prohibited does stop the chart from being created.
>
> Simply changing the sheet name from A3.2 to A3-2 stops the dialog from
> appearing and allows the chart to be created.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Andy. And yes all service packs are installed (windows and office).
> > When I run windows update there are no availalbe updates for windows or
> > office. That was one of the first things I tried.
> >
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If you want to email me the workbook I will take a look and see if I can
> >> discover why, other than corruption, you get the message.
> >> andy AT andypope DOT info
> >>
> >> Do you have the service pack installed?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "Kermit" <Kermit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Kermit (12)
2/5/2009 4:49:29 PM
I have the same problem but it's not caused by periods in the worksheet
names.  I had underscores in the worksheet names, and I removed them, still
doesn't work.

Let me clarify a little more on my situation.  I'm trying to create a bubble
chart. I create the chart, screw it up, then cut it so I can start over.
After doing this a couple of times, the next time I click the bubble chart
icon to create my chart I get this errorr: "Some chart types cannot be
combined with other chart types.  Select a different chart type."  It
repeatedly does this now.

So It seems like in my case something is left hanging around.  I got the
error yesterday and after doing something (like working on other sheets or
closing the spreadsheet) else I came back and excel allowed me to create my
bubble chart again. This time I've closed excel, restarted it, and I still
get the error.

Thanks for any help,
Steve
0
L (105)
2/5/2009 6:25:20 PM
I forgot to mention I'm running excel 08 on a Mac.

(notice how I removed all the quoted text that used to be here?)

Steve
0
L (105)

constant in chart
I have a chart of how two values follow each other. Simple. I have the correlation of the two numbers on the worksheet with the values. I would like to have that show on the worksheet with the chart, which is on it's own page, but I don't want to chart the standard percentage from the correlation function. Ideas? Have you looked at the SLOPE and INTERCEPT functions? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "tylermdsm" <tylermdsm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAD2C909-5B89-448...

Mails Combined
HI, I mistakenly delete all mails from Inbox and then found them on the deleted Items and selected all and ask to move folders back to Inbox. the problem is all mails were combined into one email and moved back in to Inbox as a single email. How do i go back to the original version. How do i uncombined all the mails in to individual mails from the right recipient? Please help ASAP.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

How can I create a chart to compare multiple data series?
Using Excel, is there a way to merge multiple charts with different data series into one to demonstrate a direct comparison of the data series within one single chart. I've got 4 charts of the stacked column type. magnoliak77 Tufte calls them small multiples, Cleveland calls them trellis displays. I call them panel charts. Take a look at the examples on this page. http://processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm Another option is to stick with your 4 charts, however, you can size and align them. Here's a link to a simple macro that sizes and aligns all charts on a single sheet....

merge/combine workshhets
I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of rows Try this Jeff http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff224" <Jeff224@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6790506-2888-4F4D-80EA-BB0D9F9B27A2@microsoft.com... >I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - > all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of > rows Or http://www.rondebru...

Errors configuring POP3 for Outgoing Email
Has anyone had success configuring the Outgoing SMTP for Gmail in the Email Router? I cannot get it to work and there are a few people out there who claim they got it working but never gave any details as to how. Any advice would be appreciated. PS, I have tried all 3 Port number recommended on their help pages. Thanks... -- MD ...

Web Services / Strongly typed collection question
Hello, I've implemented a Web Service method in .Net to return a custom strongly typed collection. I have a Flash client remotely calling this web service method and returning XML... I'm trying to do the same using a .Net client. Simply instantianting the web service and executing the web service method returns the Collection object. How do I execute this web service method to return the serialized XML? I imagine I have to make a SOAP call... does anyone have some code snippets or can point me to a sample site? thank you. ...

Purchasing Error: You can't change the status of this line item; it has unposted receipts assigned to it.
User is trying to close a PO. Goes into Edit PO Status window and searched on PO, and returns two line items (two different receipts). First item has status of Released. Tries to change to Closed, and gets error: You can't change the stauts of the line item; it has unposted receipts assigned to it. Have searched through interface and SQL, and cannot locate any unposted receipts for this PO/item. Noticed that the qty on the original PO for this line item is 32 and qty on receipt is 31 (not sure if relevant or not). Have also Check Links on Purchasing module, but did not resolve. Any su...

SQL server error import customizations
I am trying to import customizations to the Opportunity entity. I get a SQL server error when importing. I imported other unrelated customizations without problem yesterday. Any insight appreciated. Try to export an Opportunity and then import it back, does it work via this scenario? "Sarah Montgomery" wrote: > I am trying to import customizations to the Opportunity entity. I get a SQL > server error when importing. I imported other unrelated customizations > without problem yesterday. Any insight appreciated. I ended up replicating the customizations by hand whi...

"Unable to display the folder" errors
I recently started using my Outlook 2002 application on a laptop after running it previously from a PC. I am accessing the same outlook.pst personal folder that I had previously been using. I have started to get "Unable to display the folder" error messages on occasions as I navigate through my various sub-folders. It does not happen all the time, but only on the odd occasion. The explanation I receive is: "The file <pathname>\outlook.pst could not be accessed because another workstation has modified it. Close and then restart all mail-enabled applications."...

Typing rate for CListCtrl and CComboBox
I am looking for a way to change key-strike timeout while typing in a list control or combo box. Typing sufficiently fast moves the cursor to a line starting with the typed characters (e.g. typing WIND in the Windows Explorer while browsing C:\ moves the cursor to "WINDOWS" directory line). A timeout of about a second "resets" the typed prefix and the next typed character wil be considered as first in a line. I need to extend this timeout so that slow typists will be able to benefit this feature. The automatic "searching" of these controls seems buggy to ...

Problems with Stacked Bar charts
Seeing a weird thing. When I create a stacked bar or column chart, I get bars that are one pixel wide so it looks like a vertical line. Closed the sheet, re-opened, new sheet, new data, nothing works. If I embed a worksheet in Powerpoint, and in that sheet, create a new worksheet with the data, it works fine... Baffles me !! Also, excel seems incapable of creating a graph with dates on the X axis, li lists them as ascending numbers, 1.2.3 etc. Again, works fine in an embedded spreadsheet in Powerpoint. As they use the same graph engine, I'm stumped. Hi, Excel is assuming you want yo...

One use licence
I have purchased a one use student/teacher copy of Microsoft office 2007 from my colleges IT department. My laptop has recently developed a serious fault and will need to be replaced. I still have the disks and I was wondering, if i remove the program from my old laptop will i be able to install it on my new machine. If so what would I need to do? On 2/28/2010 8:05 AM, Mr Random101 wrote: > I have purchased a one use student/teacher copy of Microsoft office 2007 from > my colleges IT department. My laptop has recently developed a serious fault > and will need to be...

Finding the combination that appears more times
Hi everybody i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns A:E, each column showing one (1) item I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically, which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix eg: A B C D F A C D E F B C D E F B C D F Z in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination would take forever... is there a simpler, quicker ...

GP10 - Integration Error
Started getting this error message recently on a scheduled Integration. The following MS KB acknowledges the error in GP9 and suggests that a service pack for GP8 might correct it. Probably not something to try on V10. The article does not say what causes the error nor if it's critical, but it does tell you how to ignore it. Scary. Anyway does anybody know what causes this error, if it's critical and how to correct the situation? FWIW it happened this morning shortly after a reboot of the server. https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;939045 Than...

Error "wizard is unable to create your data access page"
Using Access 2000, I have created an ODBC link to a database with a user id that has all access: read, write, delete... When I use the wizard to try to create a data access page to one of the tables and I click Finish, I receive an error message that says "The wizard is unable to create your data access page". It does create an .htm page but there is no link to database and data box shows unbound. How do I fix this so I can create data access pages? turn off UAC? use SQL authentication instead of Windows Auth? On Mar 3, 6:59=A0am, DebbieShiff <DebbieSh...

creating chart from different sheet
Hi Looking for the method to create chart in Excel sourcing cell from different sheets, instead of same sheet.. I already tried hold CTrl key but it gives the format error when i try to add series to the chart if the data is from the two different sheets. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ All the data for the values for one axis for a series on a chart must be on a single worksheet. So, all the x-values for a series must be on a worksheet, just as al...

Combining 2 Excel (xls) files
I have 2 xls workbooks with different sheet names and both with different range names. I would like to combine them both into one workbook so that I don't have to re-create all of the range names. Is there a way to do that? -- LAF ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=346017 Hi LAF- Open both files (let's call them A & B, and assume A will be your "combined" file). Working i...

What causes runtime error 1004?
I have a macro that consists of these 3 lines: Sub Macro2() ActiveSheet.PageSetup.RightHeader = Range("TestNamedRange") End Sub It's meant to include the value of a textual named range in a header. This macro generates Runtime error 1004 Method 'range' of object '_global' failed What causes this error? I have tried different variations of declarations, searching this forum, and traded posts with Bob Phillips (no aspersions intended-I think the thread just faded) to no avail. Any ideas? Open the Define Name dialog (Ctrl-F3 is the shortcut) and make sure the na...

Adding comments to points in a chart?
I'm using Excel 2002 (and a newbie) and want to add comments to different points in a chart so I can clearly see when specific things changed and how they effected my chart. (I was referred by one to look at an add in program that can add data labels, but couldn't get it to work the way I needed it to) Is there a way in Excel 2002 for me to add a comment and place in the chart where I want. I was able to figure out how to "insert comments" to a normal cell and then move it to the chart where I want that comment to be. The only problem with doing it this way is I can't f...

What are runtime errors & how can you track them down
Application causes the runtime to terminbate unexpectedly... Regrettably Microsoft dont seem to expect this problem and the knowledge base does not have an answer. I've uninstalled Outlook (2000)& reinstalled a couple of times it still pops up. Other than a possible link with IE as this still seems to work in background what can one do. What is left of Outlook that could cause the problem, when uninstalled does that not break links to add-ins? Can there be problems lurking in the .pst files (not that I can find them in XP! Can I be confident that a later version of Outlook wi...

Run time error '-2147467259 (80004005) adding icon
Hi I get the error Run time error '-2147467259 (80004005) Method 'Add' of object 'commandBarControls' failed. why does this happen? basically i am trying to use that button image for a to run a macro. D With .Add(msoControlButton, 749) <---- this line causes the error. .Style = msoButtonIconAndCaption .Caption = "Create Individual Trainer Feedback Workbooks" .OnAction = "CreateCourseFeedbackDocuments" End With With .Add(msoControlButton, 463) .S...

Combining Publications
Can I combine two different publications into one? Suzi wrote: > Can I combine two different publications into one? ========================================= Personally, I would simply open two instances of Publisher (one document in each) / tile the two screens...and copy/paste. Maybe the following link will be useful: Combining Publisher Documents http://tinyurl.com/2lpj5w -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that wo...

How to Combine Data in Different Columns
Hi Everyone I need help in this issue. I have tried many ways though some wer successful but they were not efficient. I have say 5 columns of data and the data could be on the same rows o all 5 columns or on different rows hence if I need to combine all th data of these 5 columns, I would have to sort or filter each of the manually and copy and paste to a different worksheet or column. This i very tedious and time consuming. I also tried to write a macro to loo for data in one column then put them into another column but i was no successful. However, experts like you guys shouldn't have ...

How do I update charts in excel 2007
Hi - I'm tracking and charting real estate data in three cities, by month. I can add updated info into the worksheet columns, but I can't get the corresponding points into the line chart that I made three months ago from the columns. Now using excel 2007. Had no trouble with this task in excel 2003, becouse I could easily change the data range and then the chart followed the changes. I'm new in 2007, and when I find the data range and change it to correspond the with the updated columns nothing happens in the chart Appreciate help I have a line chart on the s...

Scatter chart for real-time tracking of a single cell value ?
Hi. I use Excel 2003. On a spreadsheet connected to a DDE data feed, I have a cell containing an integer number that updates and changes constantly during the day. I would like to chart the number in that cell in real-time second by second between certain hours of the day. I have been told that it may be possible to use a scatter chart to do this but I have not been able to make it work or to find useful help files. It seems to me that the problem has to do with charting a single cell rather than a range but I'm not sure. Any practical advice or pointer to a "how-to" web site w...