can you create a chart in excel with alphanumeric data?

any ideas please? we have data as follows:

           y1  y2  y3  y4
name1  1   2a  3   4b
name2  2a  2   1d  3a

which needs to go in a chart but the alphanumerics (4b etc) keep being left
out...)

help!
0
Pugwyrm (4)

Do the Alpha numerics equal a value?  or are they a lable of a point?
If they equal a value,  then charting can be done.
Is they are a lable,  can they be represented by a value,  if not you may
have to make a drawing rather than a chart.  Charts plot values.

"Pugwyrm" wrote:

> any ideas please? we have data as follows:
>
>            y1  y2  y3  y4
> name1  1   2a  3   4b
> name2  2a  2   1d  3a
>
> which needs to go in a chart but the alphanumerics (4b etc) keep being left
> out...)
>
> help!
0
BJ (832)
6/6/2005 2:12:09 PM
Thants what i thought - thanks for your help.

"bj" wrote:

> Do the Alpha numerics equal a value?  or are they a lable of a point?
> If they equal a value,  then charting can be done.
> Is they are a lable,  can they be represented by a value,  if not you may
> have to make a drawing rather than a chart.  Charts plot values.
>
> "Pugwyrm" wrote:
>
> > any ideas please? we have data as follows:
> >
> >            y1  y2  y3  y4
> > name1  1   2a  3   4b
> > name2  2a  2   1d  3a
> >
> > which needs to go in a chart but the alphanumerics (4b etc) keep being left
> > out...)
> >
> > help!
0
Pugwyrm (4)
6/6/2005 2:15:04 PM
You can simulate the effect w/o too much effect.

Create a data set that looks like:

	1	2	3	4
name1	1	2	3	4
name2	1	2	3	4

keep in mind your original data set is
	y1	y2	y3	y4
name1	1	2a	3	4b
name2	2a	2	1d	3a

Now, plot the first range in a line chart.  Make sure that in step 2
you have 'data in columns' checked.  This should give you four
horizontal lines, each with 3 points.

Format the x-axis so that the first marker is on the y-axis (double-
click the x-axis and from the Scale tab uncheck 'Value (Y) axis crosses
between categories'.

Format the chart to lose the backgroud, the legend, the gridlines, and
the y-axis.  For the last one double click the y-axis and from the
Patterns tab set everything to 'None'.

Use Bovey's XY Chartlabeler add-in (www.appspro.com) or Walkenbach's
Chart Tools (www.j-walk.com) to add data labels for each of the 4
series.  The data labels for the four series should be the four columns
in your actual table.  Make sure you pick 'Center' as the position for
the labels.

Now, format each series to have no line and no marker.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <7CFF8FBE-FD42-438D-9BB4-229D35D70F3D@microsoft.com>,
Pugwyrm@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> any ideas please? we have data as follows:
>
>            y1  y2  y3  y4
> name1  1   2a  3   4b
> name2  2a  2   1d  3a
>
> which needs to go in a chart but the alphanumerics (4b etc) keep being left
> out...)
>
> help!

Is it possible to add a base line in excel
I have a graph the tracks test scores. I want to establish in a bar chart a base line for acceptable test scores. I can do this by drawing a line on the chart but I want to be able to include this in the chart itself. Hi see: http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#AddLine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Tom King wrote: > I have a graph the tracks test scores. I want to establish in a bar > chart a base line for acceptable test scores. I can do th...

Too many rows for Excel output from Access 2000
All: In my application I am exporting several records to excel file dynamically using a query,when the number of records exceeds 50000 records in one of the scenarios I am getting this error :There are too many rows to output, based on the limitation specified by the output format or Microsoft access Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Query11" DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, stDocName, acFormatXLS, , 1 Can any one suggest the solution to this problem, Thanks in Advance, VT IIRC, OutputTo uses an earlier Excel format that limits to 16K rows. Use the TransferSp...

Opening a new instance of Excel

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

can't send anything in Outlook 2002

How can I drop a flyer from Publisher into PowerPoint as a slide?
I have created a flyer in Publisher but I now need to drop it into PowerPoint as a slide, is this possible? No, not really. You could open up both instances, Powerpoint and Publisher, and then drag and drop/copy and paste from the Publisher window to the Powerpoint window, the reformat as needed. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "melann" <melann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58EE1229-ED29-4A5F-B4D6-BDE863876DB0@microsoft.com... &...

Excel Crash

How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the net
How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the network -- Rusty Nichols Network Support Technician The Journal folder works without Project being installed at all. It's an integral part of Outlook. What functionality are you seeking? "Rusty" <w_r_nichols_iii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7EA79673-AE35-44D2-A09E-EBF73E7EC414@microsoft.com... > How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the network How can Journal potentially affect the Exchange server, and I would like more information on Journal for a Outlook foundation class? ...

graphing data
What is necessary to graph the number(s) in cell(s) when the number in that cell(s) is/are generated from a formula in those cells? -- mikaman Graph them in exactly the same way that would have done if the numbers had been typed into the cells. -- David Biddulph "mikaman" <mikaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A6F240E-44F3-4636-8F2F-6DE39722D0EE@microsoft.com... > What is necessary to graph the number(s) in cell(s) when the number in > that > cell(s) is/are generated from a formula in those cells? > -- > mikaman ...

Copy filtered data
Let's say I have data in A1:Gxx. Now I use Autofilter to find all rows which has a "2" in column C. Let's say it leaves rows 1:4 and 8:10. Now I want to copy the filtered data in columns F:G and paste the values (not to an empty range which is easy) but to the same cells in colums D:E. Any help? Hans Knudsen Try Advanced Filter, excellent tutorial here from Debra Dalgeish, owner of the site, http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ApplyAF Regards, Alan. "Hans Knudsen" <Hans.Knudsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message news:%23xtVdlR8FHA.740@TK2MSFTNG...

Excel Edit F2 button changed for Mac???

Pie Chart Question
Hi, I am tring to make a pie chart that needs to include 2 pieces of information for one series. I have two columns of information (number and value) that relate to one person. There are 5 people all together. How do I do this? Technically possible, you might create a bar-pie chart or a pie-of-pie chart. IMO, this would be a TERRIBLE idea. Pie charts should be forgotten, IMO, because they often distort data and make it very hard to actually read the data. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/whats-worse-than-a-pie-chart/ My recommendation would be to make a clustered chart, a ...

Chart Stopped Updating
Hi I have a number of DDE links that I use to increment Rows D to I every second, providing me with a method of data logging my DDE Links. I find that my chart works fine up to about 247 rows then stops updating. I have just upgraded from 2003 to 2007 version of Excel. Any ideas. Thanks Alec when you saved into 2007, you keep the old file format or use the new format? if using new, pls make sure you are using xlsm. if you are using the compatibility mode, please check make to make sure you click the security setting to low. "Alectrical" wrote: > Hi ...

How to set tab order for a dynamically created CEdit?
Anyone knows? Use SetWindowPos(...) and change the position in the z-order. -- Vipin Aravind <mdnightman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139117672.835639.159660@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Anyone knows? > Use SetWindowPos. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com <mdnightman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139117672.835639.159660@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Anyone knows? > ...

How do I create a pivot table if the pivot table icon or menu ite.
If rhe pivot table icon ...??? Please clarify in the body of the message. "Lynn@WS" <Lynn@WS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E6B098C-551A-4389-9048-7F4F5A6E5EF8@microsoft.com... > ...

EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2

How Can I Tell What Button Was Just Clicked?
I have a bunch of images on the sheet that calls ONE function. Is there a way I can tell which button was clicked within the function? I'd hate to make a function for each image. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ See one technique at your other thread. kenji4861 wrote: > > I have a bunch of images on the sheet that calls ONE function. > > Is there a way I can tell which button was clicked within the > function? > > I'd h...

Create pre-set margins & page no's.
How does one "pre-set" margins & desired page-numbering option so that most Word files that a person creates or copies from the Internet automatically are set to these specifications when a new document page is opened? (I am tired of doing this "by hand"over and over again each day!) Also, can I create one or more of this type of "template?" (I've never done this sort of thing before.) Create a template with the desired options specified. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/CreateATemplatePart1.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Wo...

How can I tell if our GP 9.0 is updated to the latest SP and patch
We recently upgraded our GP to 9.0, but I'm not sure we are at SP1 or the latest patches have been installed. Is there a way to tell from the versions numbers displayed in the "About Microsoft Dynamics GP" box? Or, maybe asked a different way, if at the latest updates, what should the Dexterity and GP 9.0 version numbers be at? hello, You know if it's Dynamics GP SP1 when you see that: Dynamics GP - 9.00.0259 Dexterity - 9.00.0068.0 rgds, timber On Oct 6, 6:35 am, dcnjoe60 <dcnjo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We recently upgraded our GP to 9.0, bu...

Chart
From: <c@c.c> Subject: Chart - Title Widths Date: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 12:43 PM Chart - Title Widths Does anyone know how to find the width of a title/axis title? ...