Can you chart an equation (y=mx+b)?

I am trying to set up a graph in MS Excel where you can enter in the values
for X and B and it will graph the line, like a graphing caluclator would.  Is
that possible?
0
adam1685 (340)

Excel graphs points, not equations.  For a straight line, you would only
need to calculate the first and last points on the line and plot them as
an "XY (Scatter)" chart with points connected by a line.  Alternately,
Tushar Mehta has written an add-in for plotting functions
   http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html

Jerry

Adam wrote:

> I am trying to set up a graph in MS Excel where you can enter in the values
> for X and B and it will graph the line, like a graphing caluclator would.  Is
> that possible?

0
post_a_reply (1395)
12/15/2005 12:12:03 PM
If the relationship is not necessarily linear, and you just want to hack out
a series without using an add-in, you can simply put a set of X values into
one column, then in the next column insert formulas that calculate the
appropriate Y values. Then make the plot with these two columns.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message
> Excel graphs points, not equations.  For a straight line, you would only
> need to calculate the first and last points on the line and plot them as
> an "XY (Scatter)" chart with points connected by a line.  Alternately,
> Tushar Mehta has written an add-in for plotting functions
>   http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html
>
> Jerry
>
> Adam wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up a graph in MS Excel where you can enter in the
>> values for X and B and it will graph the line, like a graphing caluclator
>> would.  Is that possible?

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Bulk attachments

Excel 2007 Chart with Zero Values
I have chart data for sales that I add to each day. I hide the lines for the days to come(ie if it's the 5th, I hide lines for the 6th - 31st) so that the chart doesn't go all the way down to zero for the 6th thru the 31st. I'd like to be able to leave all lines unhid, but not have the chart line go down to zero. I've tried putting N/As in those days that I don't have data, but the chart is still going to down to zero - I don't know if I have a setting wrong or what, but any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Hi, Try either #N/A or th...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Chart line is discontinuous
Hello, A similar problem to my last. I have entered data from reading sheets and not every date/time has a data point. I have noticed that if there is no date/time the chart does not draw the line between data points. Please help me out with this. You can set your chart options (Tools, Options, Chart tab) to treat empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps) zero or interpolated. -- Steve "Lady Excel" <LadyExcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F7136D3-3B22-49B9-AFC7-E6BB1FE47E32@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > A similar problem to my last. I have e...

Can (or how can) I do this

Dynamic Chart Formula Question
I'm trying to create a worksheet that can be copied with an embedded dynamic chart. I created the named formulas at the worksheet level and then entered the names in the worksheet formula dialog box and the chart works fine. The part that doesn't work is that when I copy the worksheet the named formulas update to the new name of the copied sheet but the chart formula doesn't update properly. I've tried inserting indirect references into the chart formula and that didn't work. Is there a way to get the chart formula to update on the copied worksheet? Hi, this is probab...

Can not archive

button grayed out for Charting
I am trying to use the Chart Wizard or the Chart Toolbar to create a chart. However, both are greyed out. Any idea why or what I should do to fix this? thanks, Ron Usual suspects are protected workbook or worksheet. Shared workbook. rgraham1 wrote: > I am trying to use the Chart Wizard or the Chart Toolbar to create a chart. > However, both are greyed out. > > > > Any idea why or what I should do to fix this? > > thanks, > > Ron > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks for the fast reply Andy. I've checked...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...

X,Y coordinates on chart
I have to create a char, that when clicked on will return the point of the click. PLEASE, noticed that I will be clicking anywhere on the plot NO on a SERIES of points. In other words, lets say I have a XY chart with these values: x= 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 y= 2,9,4,5,7,2,4,1 If I do an ALEATORY click somewhere on the plot (NOT ON AN ALREADY PLOTTED SERIES!) I will get the values equals or close to the ones shwon above. Thanks! -- lgarcia3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lgarcia3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...