Can I make a "tab name" the "chart title"? (question on this)

In this thread, where I got the title of my own thread here from,
http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_thread/thread/83e2856f6e0dca33/674df8d582510513?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=tab+name#674df8d582510513,
Bernard V Liengme's solution seems to work very well.  I put the tab
name formula below in the sheet and then referenced it in the chart
title as directed:

=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)

Seems to work great, at least so far <g>.

The challenge is that though the tab name solution is perfect and I
was able to customize elswhere where I'd used this same formula, I
don't know how to add text so that the chart title is complete.
Elsewhere in Excel, unique text can be added to cell custom formatting
so that together I get a unique title for each column that I used this
procedure on.  It's all automatic and I only have to worry about the
text in the tab name.  Perfect as it makes life so much easier than
having to duplicate the information in 4 different places.

However, the chart title also requires unique additional custom text
besides the formula since the tab name is only part of what is
needed.  The tab name just shows the location and date and doesn't
have any "label".  Is there a way to add custom text to the chart in
an easy way, i.e., in this type of structure somehow:

"Title - "{tab name via the formula}

Thanks!  :oD
0
ngmail (4)

="Title - "&MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)
--
David Biddulph

<ngmail@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> In this thread, where I got the title of my own thread here from,
> http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_thread/thread/83e2856f6e0dca33/674df8d582510513?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=tab+name#674df8d582510513,
> Bernard V Liengme's solution seems to work very well.  I put the tab
> name formula below in the sheet and then referenced it in the chart
> title as directed:
>
> =MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)
>
> Seems to work great, at least so far <g>.
>
> The challenge is that though the tab name solution is perfect and I
> was able to customize elswhere where I'd used this same formula, I
> don't know how to add text so that the chart title is complete.
> Elsewhere in Excel, unique text can be added to cell custom formatting
> so that together I get a unique title for each column that I used this
> procedure on.  It's all automatic and I only have to worry about the
> text in the tab name.  Perfect as it makes life so much easier than
> having to duplicate the information in 4 different places.
>
> However, the chart title also requires unique additional custom text
> besides the formula since the tab name is only part of what is
> needed.  The tab name just shows the location and date and doesn't
> have any "label".  Is there a way to add custom text to the chart in
> an easy way, i.e., in this type of structure somehow:
>
> "Title - "{tab name via the formula}
>
> Thanks!  :oD

0
David
4/15/2009 5:04:15 PM
In the cell where you have the formula, modify the formula to ="My Label " &
{existing formula without the leading = sign} & " rest of my label"

--
Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com

"ngmail@mailinator.com" wrote:

> In this thread, where I got the title of my own thread here from,
> http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_thread/thread/83e2856f6e0dca33/674df8d582510513?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=tab+name#674df8d582510513,
> Bernard V Liengme's solution seems to work very well.  I put the tab
> name formula below in the sheet and then referenced it in the chart
> title as directed:
>
> =MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)
>
> Seems to work great, at least so far <g>.
>
> The challenge is that though the tab name solution is perfect and I
> was able to customize elswhere where I'd used this same formula, I
> don't know how to add text so that the chart title is complete.
> Elsewhere in Excel, unique text can be added to cell custom formatting
> so that together I get a unique title for each column that I used this
> procedure on.  It's all automatic and I only have to worry about the
> text in the tab name.  Perfect as it makes life so much easier than
> having to duplicate the information in 4 different places.
>
> However, the chart title also requires unique additional custom text
> besides the formula since the tab name is only part of what is
> needed.  The tab name just shows the location and date and doesn't
> have any "label".  Is there a way to add custom text to the chart in
> an easy way, i.e., in this type of structure somehow:
>
> "Title - "{tab name via the formula}
>
> Thanks!  :oD

Can I make a "tab name" the "chart title"?
I am making multiple charts that utilizes a common chart with all the data represented. As I segregate this data into various subsets and copy charts, it would be beneficial to have the new charts have as its title the new name of the tab name I give. Can this be done? Headers use &[Tab] to do this, but I can't make this work for chart titles and using a header appears to actually reduce the printed size of my chart. It is the Sheet that has a name; that name is displayed on the tab This name can be displayed in a cell with the formula =MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND(&...