Can I link timeline labels to a line chart?

I've been trying to do this for a bit and can't seem to find a way.

I am trying to do a line chart of weekly sales for two product lines
over several years (2 separate lines).

What I would like to do is overlay labels for press releases (so you
can see if they have an impact on sales) on the same chart, and have a
line from the name of the press release to the correct corresponding
point on the line chart that is "active", so as more points are added
to the chart, the line indicating the unit corresponding to the date of
the press release will move also.

Additionally, the press release dates may be different dates from the
weekly sale dates.

I can figure out how to do this on separate charts, but not the same
one (I have tried using XY chartlabeler, which helps, but doesn't allow
me to drag the labels around to make the charts more readable and have a
line to show what point the press release is referring to).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

--
hizzle
hizzle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29370

Hi,

You can do this with extra data series plotted on the secondary axis.
It's a little complicated so I put together an example.
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng47.htm

Cheers
Andy

hizzle wrote:
> I've been trying to do this for a bit and can't seem to find a way.
>
> I am trying to do a line chart of weekly sales for two product lines
> over several years (2 separate lines).
>
> What I would like to do is overlay labels for press releases (so you
> can see if they have an impact on sales) on the same chart, and have a
> line from the name of the press release to the correct corresponding
> point on the line chart that is "active", so as more points are added
> to the chart, the line indicating the unit corresponding to the date of
> the press release will move also.
>
> Additionally, the press release dates may be different dates from the
> weekly sale dates.
>
> I can figure out how to do this on separate charts, but not the same
> one (I have tried using XY chartlabeler, which helps, but doesn't allow
> me to drag the labels around to make the charts more readable and have a
> line to show what point the press release is referring to).
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Formatting a single grid line
Don't laugh but I was wondering if there was a back door way of bolding up a single horizontal gridline to make it stand out from the rest. My alternative is to draw a line on the chart but then I need to adjust it if my scale changes. Thanks much, Reney Hi Reney, Unfortunately you can only format all of the gridlines at once. Have a look at these examples for adding a line to a chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Reney Langlois wrote:...

How to Link to the next blank row after the last entry in a column?
Cell BM6 Sheet1, has a formula that gives me a numeric total. The total belongs in Column D1 Sheet2 after the last entry, and there will be cells that will remain blank in that column before the last entry. Sheet1 is a work sheet, which will be saved with a new file name at the end of the month after the totals have been sent to Sheet2. Sheet2 is a permanent, ongoing record. The numbers on original Sheet1 will then be erased and the worksheet reused for the new month. :confused: How do I get the values into the appropriate row of Sheet2 and have them remain there when I reuse the workshee...

CRM 4.0
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm not able to translate all labels with the “export labels for translation” function and Microsoft Excel. a. When exporting translations and adding translations in the language specific column (1033 / English in my situation) not all labels get translated. Most labels get translated, but for example the following did not: i. ‘Beheer’ --> ‘Administration’ (Name of a tab on the Task entity ii. ‘Interne gegevens’ à ‘Internal Information’ (Name of a section on many different enti...

Can't send/receive

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Excel 2007 Chart with Zero Values
I have chart data for sales that I add to each day. I hide the lines for the days to come(ie if it's the 5th, I hide lines for the 6th - 31st) so that the chart doesn't go all the way down to zero for the 6th thru the 31st. I'd like to be able to leave all lines unhid, but not have the chart line go down to zero. I've tried putting N/As in those days that I don't have data, but the chart is still going to down to zero - I don't know if I have a setting wrong or what, but any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Hi, Try either #N/A or th...

Hide label and field if blank
How do I hide the label and field if field is blank? Thanks in advance. Are you working in MS Access? Are you working on a form or a report? Which version of Access? More info, please Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "jhicsupt" <jhicsupt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4AF5FB29-9B63-43DB-BD82-547467F75F54@microsoft.com... > How do I hide the label and field if field is blank? > > Thanks in advance. I found this thread and need the same answer: I am working in MS Access 2003. I want to print a report from a table that has a list of ...

CListCtrl
Hi, Does anybody know an easy of removing the black vertical tracking line that appears while resizing columns? I've been trying to prevent it through HDN_ENDTRACK / HDN_TRACK, but I wasn't successfull. Is there a specific flag that I can set to disable it instead? Thanks in advance for your time, Best regards, -Onur I can't imagine why you'd want to do that, but here's my suggestion: Override the CListrCtrl and CHeaderCtrl class, and have your listview control use your derived header control. In the header control class, handle the WM_SETCURSOR message and load a d...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Chart line is discontinuous
Hello, A similar problem to my last. I have entered data from reading sheets and not every date/time has a data point. I have noticed that if there is no date/time the chart does not draw the line between data points. Please help me out with this. You can set your chart options (Tools, Options, Chart tab) to treat empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps) zero or interpolated. -- Steve "Lady Excel" <LadyExcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F7136D3-3B22-49B9-AFC7-E6BB1FE47E32@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > A similar problem to my last. I have e...

Can (or how can) I do this

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...