Can I fix a text box to a chart data point?

I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the chart. I
wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so when
new data is added, the text box follows the data point.
0
Phil1 (164)

Hi,

If you have used an embedded shape to hold the text you will need to use VBA
to adjust the position when more data is added.
To have text move automatically you would need to use data label(s).

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the chart.
> wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
> when
> new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

0
andy9699 (3616)
10/2/2007 11:57:17 AM
Andy,
   Thanks for your response, but I don't see any way to add a text label.
The options are for values only. What I need is a way to add a text box that
says somthing like "Bought new scale" and have that text box stay with a date
on the horizontal scale that changes as I add new weights daily.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you have used an embedded shape to hold the text you will need to use VBA
> to adjust the position when more data is added.
> To have text move automatically you would need to use data label(s).
>
> Cheers
> Andy
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the chart.
> > wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
> > when
> > new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

0
Phil1 (164)
10/2/2007 12:43:02 PM
You can link data labels to cells.
Either of these two free addins will help with the task.

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

Cheers
Andy

--

> Andy,
>   Thanks for your response, but I don't see any way to add a text label.
> The options are for values only. What I need is a way to add a text box
> that
> says somthing like "Bought new scale" and have that text box stay with a
> date
> on the horizontal scale that changes as I add new weights daily.
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you have used an embedded shape to hold the text you will need to use
>> VBA
>> to adjust the position when more data is added.
>> To have text move automatically you would need to use data label(s).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the
>> >chart.
>> > wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
>> > when
>> > new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

0
andy9699 (3616)
10/2/2007 12:53:43 PM
If it's one or two labels, it's easy enough to do it by hand. Add a label to
a single point, then select the label (two clicks to select the single
label), then you can edit its text, or type = in the formula bar and click
on the cell with the value if you want a linked label.

Note that the label sticks to the point number it was assigned to. Say your
chart has ten points and you put the label on the fourth point. If you
change the data range so it starts after the first two original points and
extends two points beyond the original last point, so it's still ten points
long, the point your label was highlighting is now second, but the label is
still on the 4th point (which was the sixth point).

This is a pain, so I will often add a one-point XY series with the values I
want to track, format the point with no marker, and apply a label. This
series doesn't change if the original series is dynamic (the values may
change if the original values change, but it stays latched to the same pair
of cells).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Andy,
>   Thanks for your response, but I don't see any way to add a text label.
> The options are for values only. What I need is a way to add a text box
> that
> says somthing like "Bought new scale" and have that text box stay with a
> date
> on the horizontal scale that changes as I add new weights daily.
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you have used an embedded shape to hold the text you will need to use
>> VBA
>> to adjust the position when more data is added.
>> To have text move automatically you would need to use data label(s).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a daily weight chart. I need to add events text boxes on the
>> >chart.
>> > wish to fix the boxes to data points and have them track the points so
>> > when
>> > new data is added, the text box follows the data point.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
10/2/2007 1:37:47 PM
Here is another alternative using an additional data series on the secondary
axis
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng47.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> You can link data labels to cells.
> Either of these two free addins will help with the task.
>
>    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
>    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Andy,
>>   Thanks for your response, but I don't see any way to add a text label.
>> The options are for values only. What I need is a way to add a text box
>> that
>> says somthing like "Bought new scale" and have that text box stay with a
>> date
>> on the horizontal scale that changes as I add new weights daily.
>>
>> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you have used an embedded shape to hold the text you will need to use
>>> VBA
>>> to adjust the position when more data is added.
>>> To have text move automatically you would need to use data label(s).
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andy
>>> --
>>>
>>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>> http://www.andypope.info
>>> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
andy9699 (3616)
10/2/2007 1:58:25 PM
Thanks to you guys. That last one from Jon did the trick.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> If it's one or two labels, it's easy enough to do it by hand. Add a label to
> a single point, then select the label (two clicks to select the single
> label), then you can edit its text, or type = in the formula bar and click
> on the cell with the value if you want a linked label.
>
> Note that the label sticks to the point number it was assigned to. Say your
> chart has ten points and you put the label on the fourth point. If you
> change the data range so it starts after the first two original points and
> extends two points beyond the original last point, so it's still ten points
> long, the point your label was highlighting is now second, but the label is
> still on the 4th point (which was the sixth point).
>
> This is a pain, so I will often add a one-point XY series with the values I
> want to track, format the point with no marker, and apply a label. This
> series doesn't change if the original series is dynamic (the values may
> change if the original values change, but it stays latched to the same pair
> of cells).
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Andy,
> >   Thanks for your response, but I don't see any way to add a text label.
> > The options are for values only. What I need is a way to add a text box
> > that
> > says somthing like "Bought new scale" and have that text box stay with a
> > date
> > on the horizontal scale that changes as I add new weights daily.
> >
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If you have used an embedded shape to hold the text you will need to use
> >> VBA
> >> to adjust the position when more data is added.
> >> To have text move automatically you would need to use data label(s).
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Phil1 (164)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can't send/receive

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Parent Child Fix I hope
Well this query work for ordering all item including parent items with reorder min/max values set. UPDATE Item SET notes='' where item.id in (select parentitem from item where parentitem <> 0 and reorderpoint<=Quantity) UPDATE Item SET notes='order' where item.id in (select parentitem from item where parentitem <> 0 and reorderpoint>=Quantity) run these two querys and set the child items reorderpoint to the min you want on hand and parent min max levels need to be set. In po generation based on reorder information add a filter that searches for "...

Large data
I have 20 rows and 20 columns in a sheet Trying to plot the line chart for the same But it looks very cluttered Can anyone suggest a way for this -- Thanks, Shivali Sadavarte Do all series have to be plotted on the same chart? Or is there some kind of logical grouping (e.g. companies A-E; revenue, profit, stock price, and operating margin for each)? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Shivali Sadavarte" <shivali.sadavarte@tcs.com> wrote in message news:78880A3A-...

Bulk attachments

Filtered Combo Box
Hello, I have a database that keeps track of employees in a department and prints out a directory. These employees can have up to two different positions (a colateral duty of HR manager for instance). I'm trying to set up a combobox from the Position table with three fields - PossitionID, Position and Type. I would like the user to be able to select one of four types, then have the position list filter from there as there are over 150 different positions. I thought of putting a listbox in there for the user to select the type first, but I'm not sure how to go on and filter th...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

Chart line is discontinuous
Hello, A similar problem to my last. I have entered data from reading sheets and not every date/time has a data point. I have noticed that if there is no date/time the chart does not draw the line between data points. Please help me out with this. You can set your chart options (Tools, Options, Chart tab) to treat empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps) zero or interpolated. -- Steve "Lady Excel" <LadyExcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F7136D3-3B22-49B9-AFC7-E6BB1FE47E32@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > A similar problem to my last. I have e...

How can I rename a database table?

Fixed task time with flexible schedule
I am trying to create a yearly task schedule for building maintenance. My task durations are fixed at 4 to 8 hours but each task needs to be scheduled for sometime during the week of... "8 hours window cleaning anytime during the third week of July" for example. How do I represent this in MS Project 2007? Here is a reasonable work around. Project cannot schedule work "Any random 8 hour period during the week of January 25, 2010 to Januar 29, 2010." Here is what it can do: First key the task name and duration. On the main Gantt, select Window/Split... T...

Rules in error dialog box
I am receiving an error dialog box saying 'Rules in error'each time I start Outlook or a new mail arrives. It says it cannot move messages to the folder. I then deleted all the rules, recreated them; verified that a valid folder exists. Also verified that the .pst file is valid. Any ideas. TIA. G'Day Bob, 1. Disable all rules for (say) 2 to 3 days. 2. After this time, use the "Run now..." option for each rule. 3. If there are still errors, THEN a Rule is incorrect. -- Regards, Pat Garard Australia ______________________________________ ...

Can (or how can) I do this