Can I create a chart using every fifth row of data?

I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data.  I need to creat a chart using
every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart.  Can I
easily do this?
0
Adair72 (1)

I'm not sure of an easy way to do this, but if you hold the CTRL key and
select evert fifth row and then the chart wizzard, it will only use those
rows. However, with 13,000 rows of data that means clicking 2,600 times.

"Adair72" wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data.  I need to creat a chart using
> every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart.  Can I
> easily do this?
0
joebogey (1)
9/28/2006 8:57:02 PM
I recently had to solve this same problem with a change to some data used for
the charts. In my case, i had to chart This Year vs Last Year data, pulling
sub-totals out of a large block of cells

My VBA solution involved:
creating a string of addresses of the required cells,
copying the range,
pasting them into a contiguous range on a hidden sheet,
adding this range as a Named Range,
and assigning this named range to the Values property for the
seriescollection on the chart

You should be able to just step through and create your series string,
stepping by 5

As i cannot find my code, here is some pseudo-code from my notes:

Dim wkRange as worksheet
Dim wkOrig as worksheet

    Set wkRange = worksheets("InvisibleRangeSheet")
    Set wkOrig  = worksheets("originalSheet")

With Range

For i = 1 to cells(rows.count, "A").End(xlup).row Step 5
    strSeries = strSeries & ", " & .cells(i,1).address
Next i

    wkOrig.range(strSeries).copy
    .range(.cells(row,col).address).pastespecial
paste:=xlpastevaluesandnumberformats
    .names.add name:="RangeName" refersTo:=.range(.cells(row,col).address &
":" & .cells(row+wkOrig.range(strSeries).count -1,col).address)

    ActiveChart.seriescollection(1).values = "='" & .name & "'!" & "RangeName"

End With

HTH

sqlfan13

"joebogey" wrote:

> I'm not sure of an easy way to do this, but if you hold the CTRL key and
> select evert fifth row and then the chart wizzard, it will only use those
> rows. However, with 13,000 rows of data that means clicking 2,600 times.
>
> "Adair72" wrote:
>
> > I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data.  I need to creat a chart using
> > every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart.  Can I
> > easily do this?
Of course, you'll hit a limit based on the maximum number of characters you
can pass to the chart for its .Values, .XValues, or .Formula. The Excel
Chart FAQ has a formulaic technique to display every Nth point:

    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon024

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"sqlfan13" <nospam.dustinmueller_13.at.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently had to solve this same problem with a change to some data used
>for
> the charts. In my case, i had to chart This Year vs Last Year data,
> pulling
> sub-totals out of a large block of cells
>
> My VBA solution involved:
> creating a string of addresses of the required cells,
> copying the range,
> pasting them into a contiguous range on a hidden sheet,
> adding this range as a Named Range,
> and assigning this named range to the Values property for the
> seriescollection on the chart
>
> You should be able to just step through and create your series string,
> stepping by 5
>
> As i cannot find my code, here is some pseudo-code from my notes:
>

> Dim wkRange as worksheet
> Dim wkOrig as worksheet
>
>    Set wkRange = worksheets("InvisibleRangeSheet")
>    Set wkOrig  = worksheets("originalSheet")
>
> With Range
>
> For i = 1 to cells(rows.count, "A").End(xlup).row Step 5
>    strSeries = strSeries & ", " & .cells(i,1).address
> Next i
>
>    wkOrig.range(strSeries).copy
>    .range(.cells(row,col).address).pastespecial
> paste:=xlpastevaluesandnumberformats
>    .names.add name:="RangeName" refersTo:=.range(.cells(row,col).address &
> ":" & .cells(row+wkOrig.range(strSeries).count -1,col).address)
>
>    ActiveChart.seriescollection(1).values = "='" & .name & "'!" &
> "RangeName"
>
> End With
>

> HTH
>
> sqlfan13
>

> "joebogey" wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure of an easy way to do this, but if you hold the CTRL key and
>> select evert fifth row and then the chart wizzard, it will only use those
>> rows. However, with 13,000 rows of data that means clicking 2,600 times.
>>
>> "Adair72" wrote:
>>
>> > I have a spreadsheet with 13,000 rows of data.  I need to creat a chart
>> > using
>> > every 5th row in order to cut down the amount of data in my chart.  Can
>> > easily do this?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

How to Link to the next blank row after the last entry in a column?
Cell BM6 Sheet1, has a formula that gives me a numeric total. The total belongs in Column D1 Sheet2 after the last entry, and there will be cells that will remain blank in that column before the last entry. Sheet1 is a work sheet, which will be saved with a new file name at the end of the month after the totals have been sent to Sheet2. Sheet2 is a permanent, ongoing record. The numbers on original Sheet1 will then be erased and the worksheet reused for the new month. :confused: How do I get the values into the appropriate row of Sheet2 and have them remain there when I reuse the workshee...

Can't send/receive

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Sending/exporting Outlook Contacts for use in another computer
I want to send the Outlook Contacts address book from my desktop to use in my laptop. Can it be as simple as copying the whole address book file and replacing the laptop Contacts address book with the new one? Thanks. Bob There is no separate "address book" file. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com...

Manually creating a replica
I have followed the article on TechNet on How to Manually Create a Replica but I'm not sure if I did it wrong or if what I'm experiencing is normal. At one of my sites, I have about 500MB of data that I would like to protect. I have followed the steps to manually create the replica but when I start the consistency check, the consistency check transfered all 500MB of data that I already imported! Did I do something wrong? I thought the purpose of manually importing the data is so that the initial replica doesn't go over the WAN. Thanks, Mike Ok. I figured out wh...

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Chart line is discontinuous
Hello, A similar problem to my last. I have entered data from reading sheets and not every date/time has a data point. I have noticed that if there is no date/time the chart does not draw the line between data points. Please help me out with this. You can set your chart options (Tools, Options, Chart tab) to treat empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps) zero or interpolated. -- Steve "Lady Excel" <LadyExcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F7136D3-3B22-49B9-AFC7-E6BB1FE47E32@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > A similar problem to my last. I have e...

Can (or how can) I do this

Differentiate row based on date grouping
I created a form with data sorting by date field. Some date may have more than 1 row. Samples are as follows :- Date Event 7/22/2007 AAAA 8/22/2007 AAAA 8/22/2007 BBBB 9/22/2007 CCCC Is it possible to have the Form show alternate color for row 7/22/2007, 8/22/2007 (2 rows with same color), 9/22/2007 ? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Creating Email Templates
Hello, In looking at the various resources, everyone seems to like the email template functionality .. although I do question one thing. Is it possible to create an email template for use in a workflow THAT IS NOT sent to the customer/account? From what I can tell, if you create an Opportunity/Account/Contact email template, all these automatically send the end account/customer the email. What I would like is when a new Opportunity is created to be sent to some Internal users only ... ie. the user's Manager to confirm the presence of a new Opportunity. This from the looks of th...

My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messag
My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messages What do you see when you get one? "jimjep" <jimjep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77C1C107-B54C-4DAA-B736-69A870B13F22@microsoft.com... > My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messages jimjep <jimjep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My IBM Laptop using MS 2003 does not let me read plain text messages What do you mean by "does not let"? Does a hand come out of the screen and grab your wrist so you can't move the mouse? -- Brian Til...