Can I combine a stacked and clustered column chart in Excel

I would like to have two columns on the same chart.  One will be the amount
of good parts produced by a machine.  The other would be a stacked column of
scrap parts produced by the machine.  The scrap parts are seperated by
certain defects, but I'd like to see their total compared to the total of
good parts.
0
Donnelly (2)

a sort of sneaky way to do it is to set all of the data up with a blank cell
between the machine data indicators.
make a stacked chart of all of the data including the good parts.
select the good part section and change the axis to secodary axis.
then goto <chart><source data><series and change the range for the good
parts up or down one cell to move it on the chart.
This will allow you to have different scales for the good and bad parts.
If you want then to have the same scales another way to do it would be, if
your data is in columns  to alternate the good data in one column and all of
the other data in the next column. Then just mnaking a stacked column chart
would do what you want.

"Tim Donnelly" wrote:

> I would like to have two columns on the same chart.  One will be the amount
> of good parts produced by a machine.  The other would be a stacked column of
> scrap parts produced by the machine.  The scrap parts are seperated by
> certain defects, but I'd like to see their total compared to the total of
> good parts.
0
BJ (832)
5/4/2005 4:08:06 PM
Tim -

Try any of the links on this page:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Tim Donnelly wrote:
> I would like to have two columns on the same chart.  One will be the amount
> of good parts produced by a machine.  The other would be a stacked column of
> scrap parts produced by the machine.  The scrap parts are seperated by
> certain defects, but I'd like to see their total compared to the total of
> good parts.

I've got a similar problem. I'm graphing renewable water production versus
consumption in a building. We have 4 different sources of production and 1
source of consumption. I'd like to have a chart comparing production and
consumption each month with the production column broken down by each source.
I've tried the trick you mentioned, but the column for the water consumption
always apears overlapping the production column.

I tried setting my production range to numerals for each month (1=jan,
etc...) and setting the consumption to half numerals (1.5=jan, etc...) but
the consumption column still overlaps the production column.

Also, I'm using Office 2007, so try to respond using 2007 steps.

"bj" wrote:

> a sort of sneaky way to do it is to set all of the data up with a blank cell
> between the machine data indicators.
> make a stacked chart of all of the data including the good parts.
> select the good part section and change the axis to secodary axis.
> then goto <chart><source data><series and change the range for the good
> parts up or down one cell to move it on the chart.
> This will allow you to have different scales for the good and bad parts.
> If you want then to have the same scales another way to do it would be, if
> your data is in columns  to alternate the good data in one column and all of
> the other data in the next column. Then just mnaking a stacked column chart
> would do what you want.
>
> "Tim Donnelly" wrote:
>
> > I would like to have two columns on the same chart.  One will be the amount
> > of good parts produced by a machine.  The other would be a stacked column of
> > scrap parts produced by the machine.  The scrap parts are seperated by
> > certain defects, but I'd like to see their total compared to the total of
> > good parts.
I've written a tutorial on this type of chart:

Clustered-Stacked Column Charts -
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/

The tutorial was based on Excel 2003, but the steps in 2007 are not
different, just the places you have to hunt to find the commands are. In
the comments I spelled out the protocol for 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

adamtaylor356 wrote:
> I've got a similar problem. I'm graphing renewable water production versus
> consumption in a building. We have 4 different sources of production and 1
> source of consumption. I'd like to have a chart comparing production and
> consumption each month with the production column broken down by each source.
> I've tried the trick you mentioned, but the column for the water consumption
> always apears overlapping the production column.
>
> I tried setting my production range to numerals for each month (1=jan,
> etc...) and setting the consumption to half numerals (1.5=jan, etc...) but
> the consumption column still overlaps the production column.
>
> Also, I'm using Office 2007, so try to respond using 2007 steps.
>
> "bj" wrote:
>
>> a sort of sneaky way to do it is to set all of the data up with a blank cell
>> between the machine data indicators.
>> make a stacked chart of all of the data including the good parts.
>> select the good part section and change the axis to secodary axis.
>> then goto <chart><source data><series and change the range for the good
>> parts up or down one cell to move it on the chart.
>> This will allow you to have different scales for the good and bad parts.
>> If you want then to have the same scales another way to do it would be, if
>> your data is in columns  to alternate the good data in one column and all of
>> the other data in the next column. Then just mnaking a stacked column chart
>> would do what you want.
>>
>> "Tim Donnelly" wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to have two columns on the same chart.  One will be the amount
>>> of good parts produced by a machine.  The other would be a stacked column of
>>> scrap parts produced by the machine.  The scrap parts are seperated by
>>> certain defects, but I'd like to see their total compared to the total of
>>> good parts.
0
jonNO1 (306)
10/6/2009 8:56:54 PM
Excel 2007 Chart
Stacked and clustered columns.
Using superimposed charts.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lnzwmz03umj/10_06_09a.xlsx
That tutorial was exactly what I needed. I've seen other replies directing
people to your cluster-stacked utility, but (no offense) I'm not going to
spend money on a utility I'm only going to use this one time on this one
report. Thanks for the tutorial though. It helped a lot.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> I've written a tutorial on this type of chart:
>
> Clustered-Stacked Column Charts -
> http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/
>
> The tutorial was based on Excel 2003, but the steps in 2007 are not
> different, just the places you have to hunt to find the commands are. In
> the comments I spelled out the protocol for 2007.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://peltiertech.com/
>

> adamtaylor356 wrote:
> > I've got a similar problem. I'm graphing renewable water production versus
> > consumption in a building. We have 4 different sources of production and 1
> > source of consumption. I'd like to have a chart comparing production and
> > consumption each month with the production column broken down by each source.
> > I've tried the trick you mentioned, but the column for the water consumption
> > always apears overlapping the production column.
> >
> > I tried setting my production range to numerals for each month (1=jan,
> > etc...) and setting the consumption to half numerals (1.5=jan, etc...) but
> > the consumption column still overlaps the production column.
> >
> > Also, I'm using Office 2007, so try to respond using 2007 steps.
> >
> > "bj" wrote:
> >
> >> a sort of sneaky way to do it is to set all of the data up with a blank cell
> >> between the machine data indicators.
> >> make a stacked chart of all of the data including the good parts.
> >> select the good part section and change the axis to secodary axis.
> >> then goto <chart><source data><series and change the range for the good
> >> parts up or down one cell to move it on the chart.
> >> This will allow you to have different scales for the good and bad parts.
> >> If you want then to have the same scales another way to do it would be, if
> >> your data is in columns  to alternate the good data in one column and all of
> >> the other data in the next column. Then just mnaking a stacked column chart
> >> would do what you want.

Adam -

The utility is for people who can't be bothered to follow a tutorial, or
who have many charts to do. The tutorial is for industrious folks who
don't mind a challenge.

- Jon
-------

adamtaylor356 wrote:
> That tutorial was exactly what I needed. I've seen other replies directing
> people to your cluster-stacked utility, but (no offense) I'm not going to
> spend money on a utility I'm only going to use this one time on this one
> report. Thanks for the tutorial though. It helped a lot.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> I've written a tutorial on this type of chart:
>>
>> Clustered-Stacked Column Charts -
>> http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/
>>
>> The tutorial was based on Excel 2003, but the steps in 2007 are not
>> different, just the places you have to hunt to find the commands are. In
>> the comments I spelled out the protocol for 2007.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://peltiertech.com/
>>

>> adamtaylor356 wrote:
>>> I've got a similar problem. I'm graphing renewable water production versus
>>> consumption in a building. We have 4 different sources of production and 1
>>> source of consumption. I'd like to have a chart comparing production and
>>> consumption each month with the production column broken down by each source.
>>> I've tried the trick you mentioned, but the column for the water consumption
>>> always apears overlapping the production column.
>>>
>>> I tried setting my production range to numerals for each month (1=jan,
>>> etc...) and setting the consumption to half numerals (1.5=jan, etc...) but
>>> the consumption column still overlaps the production column.
>>>
>>> Also, I'm using Office 2007, so try to respond using 2007 steps.

0
jonNO1 (306)

How to Link to the next blank row after the last entry in a column?
Cell BM6 Sheet1, has a formula that gives me a numeric total. The total belongs in Column D1 Sheet2 after the last entry, and there will be cells that will remain blank in that column before the last entry. Sheet1 is a work sheet, which will be saved with a new file name at the end of the month after the totals have been sent to Sheet2. Sheet2 is a permanent, ongoing record. The numbers on original Sheet1 will then be erased and the worksheet reused for the new month. :confused: How do I get the values into the appropriate row of Sheet2 and have them remain there when I reuse the workshee...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

How do I make a column of checkboxes quickly?
I have a list of people my company has already mailed letters to (about 500) .. I have another separate list of people that may or may not have been mailed to from the first list. Is there a way to quickly creat a column of checkboxes and then somehow crossreference these people that have already been mailed to (both list have account numbers) so that we can exclude them from our next mail out? See http://tinyurl.com/bfkdt -- HTH Bob Phillips "Kevin Kimbrell via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:eaaf5760ccae43ac8b829a58e9708b6b@OfficeKB.com....

Can't send/receive

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Excel's calculations are off a few cents!
I can't figure out why my TOTAL for $ column is off from 1-5 cents. When I check the amounts going across, they are correct, but the amount at the bottom of the column is off!! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to manually check all Excel's figures. View more decimal places Natalie, does it still add up incorrectly?? I'm guessing your summing calculated values, that are viewed at less precision than calculated. You can use ROUND(formula, #decimals) to make the calculations round to the precision you desire, or you can set "Tools&q...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

Chart line is discontinuous
Hello, A similar problem to my last. I have entered data from reading sheets and not every date/time has a data point. I have noticed that if there is no date/time the chart does not draw the line between data points. Please help me out with this. You can set your chart options (Tools, Options, Chart tab) to treat empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps) zero or interpolated. -- Steve "Lady Excel" <LadyExcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F7136D3-3B22-49B9-AFC7-E6BB1FE47E32@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > A similar problem to my last. I have e...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...

Convert Excel
How do I convert a database in Excel into Access? Thanks Hi Sue, It depends what you mean by "database". Usually it's fairly simple to move the data from Excel worksheets to Access tables, but anything else - searching, sorting, reporting, validation... - has to be re-created using Access's tools. In general, start by creating a new Access database, then import the data from the Excel workbook. Often, an Excel "database" benefits from being split into two or more related tables in Access; see "About designing a database" in Help - and there's a Ta...

error loading columns for printing
i have been using frx 6.5 with sp7 in windows server 2003 for many months now. then i accidentally installed the FRx2003orXPSP2Update.zip. i now cannot open frx so i reinstall it. i successfully opened it without errors but when i generate a report in any output type, the error "error loading columns for printing" and "error setting device context. please reopen drilldown viewer and try again." appears. i need help. thanks, mel ...