calibration lines, calculation

I'm using excel for my calibration lines. Excel can give
the formula of the line. I use this formula to calculate
the unknow values. I have to put the formula in a cell.
This is no problem with lineair calibration lines but it
because more difficult with other lines of other orders.
Is there a simple command or formula in excel to calculate
unknow values using the formula of the calibration line
excel gives?

Thanks,
Frans

0
anonymous (74723)

See Bernard Liengme's
http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <acd501c4369e$0bf9f600$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I'm using excel for my calibration lines. Excel can give
> the formula of the line. I use this formula to calculate
> the unknow values. I have to put the formula in a cell.
> This is no problem with lineair calibration lines but it
> because more difficult with other lines of other orders.
> Is there a simple command or formula in excel to calculate
> unknow values using the formula of the calibration line
> excel gives?
>
> Thanks,
> Frans

For a quadratic, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for x in
terms of y, given the coefficients.  For higher order polynomials, and
other functional forms, you may have to settle for numeric inversion of
the relationship.  You can use Solver to find the unknown x given the
measured y.

Another approach to consider is to simply reverse the roles of y and x,
and eliminate the inversion problem entirely.  Least squares implicitly
assumes that the uncertainty in x observations is negligible compared to
the uncertainty in the y observations.  That with some regularity
conditions (independence and equal variances) leads to the conclusion
(Gauss-Markov theorem) that least squares gives you the best linear
unbiased estimates of the coefficients, and therefore the best linear
unbiased predictions of y.  Purists often take this to imply the best
choice of x and y for calibration.  However in calibration you want an
equation to predict x given y, not y given x.  Reversing the role of x
and y may seem slightly sleazy, but Krutchkoff (Technometrics
10:811-823, 1968) contended that it gives you a smaller mean square
error for your quantitations than does classical calibration.
Krutchkov's paper was controversial at the time, but in the following
decade the use biased shrinkage estimators to reduce mean squared error
in other contexts became more fashionable.

My experience suggests that lab instrument software is now fairly evenly
split between those that do classical calibration and those that reverse
the role of x and y.  However the documentation for many instruments
that reverse the role of x and y, erroneously claim to do classical
calibration.

Jerry

Frans wrote:

> I'm using excel for my calibration lines. Excel can give
> the formula of the line. I use this formula to calculate
> the unknow values. I have to put the formula in a cell.
> This is no problem with lineair calibration lines but it
> because more difficult with other lines of other orders.
> Is there a simple command or formula in excel to calculate
> unknow values using the formula of the calibration line
> excel gives?
>
> Thanks,
> Frans

0
post_a_reply (1395)
5/11/2004 3:18:49 AM
I've looked at the page and I found the cubic equation
solver item....the formula's given helped me a lot but I
have a problem. It only counts for A=1, in my equations A
doesn't. Making a chart is no problem and excel can give
the equation and r2 of the polynomal after I made the
chart. (scatter,trendline, trendline options) Do you have
suggestions? Information?
I want to calculate X with a given Y. By placing Y to the
right, I have to calculated the roots of the equation....

Regards,
Frans

0
anonymous (74723)
5/11/2004 9:24:40 AM
Just divide all the coefficients by A to put a cubic in standard form.
If a*x^3+b*x^2+c*x+d=0 then so does x^3+(b/a)*x^2+(c/a)*x+(d/a)=0.

Jerry

 > I've looked at the page and I found the cubic equation
 > solver item....the formula's given helped me a lot but I
 > have a problem. It only counts for A=1, in my equations A
 > doesn't. Making a chart is no problem and excel can give
 > the equation and r2 of the polynomal after I made the
 > chart. (scatter,trendline, trendline options) Do you have
 > suggestions? Information?
 > I want to calculate X with a given Y. By placing Y to the
 > right, I have to calculated the roots of the equation....
 >
 > Regards,
 > Frans

0
post_a_reply (1395)

Date Difference Calculation is Incorrect
Hello: Below is a query that I created, and it is almost correct! The element that is the problem is in the first part of the CASE statement. That statement is to take the difference between the current date and the DUEDATE in GP and, if the difference is less than 0, it is to divide this difference by 30. But, this statement is coming up with 0 in some cases—1 or 2 in others. You see, it is only taking the left-hand side of the decimal point. Hence, if the division by 30 is to result in 0.34982, the result it comes up with is 0!!!! Any ideas? I have tried everything that the f...

Is it possibele to calculate in DEGREES not in radians
Hi, i'm new to this forum i hope that you can help me with my problem: for example: if i write a function SIN(30) it is suposed to be 0.5 in degrees, but becouse excel calculates in radians i have to write SIN((PI()/180)*30) Is it possibele to calculate by defoult in DEGREES not in radians ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ No, but you are working with radians the hard way; use =SIN(RADIANS(30)) and =DEGREES(ASIN(0.5)) Jerry Xplicit20...

How do i make two different lines on the same graph?
i have to make two different lines on the same graph. the numbers range from ..1-.3 on x-axis and 4-6 on y axis. How can i get the two lines on the same graph I'm not entirely sure what you are asking for here, but for starters, read the Excel help documents (use the Answer Wizard or the smartass Paper Clip to search these terms) - "Create a Chart," "Data Series," "Second Axis". Hopefully, one of them will have the answer to your specific question. Good luck! (Feel free to post with a more specific description of your dilemma as well). "Help&quo...

Outlook Express Printing while on line
I cannot print my emails while I am on line. Disconect and I can print OK. While on line I cannot connect to a Website either, where am I being silly here? Any assistance will be gratefully received. Cheers Matthew McGowan UK This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002, and 2003. If you have questions regarding Outlook Express please post your question in one of the applicable groups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for O...

Line and Bar on same chart
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01CA7360.B6F4C670 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Any way to plot line data and bar data on the same chart? For example, chart showing fuel tank cumulative gallons plus showing = individual fills as bars, both vs. date Date Fill Cumulative Jan 100 100 Mar 250 350 Jun 175 525 Thx=20 Dave Office(Excel) 2003 I'll try this in HTML ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01CA7360.B6F4C670 Content-Type: text/ht...

.bat file to calibrate barcode blaster advantage printer
Is it possible to create a .bat file that would run the calibrate command for barcode blaster printer? Need to use gap labels then switch to bar labels. I have the calibration commands if needed. ...

Time line in excel graph
I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after the line is the future predicted outcomes. I've tried countless different options and cant seem to find how to do this! Hi, There are various ways of addressing this problem. See the following for examples of adding lines to charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Wilkesy50 wrote: > I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after > th...

Date formula to calculate cycle time help please!
I just recieved microsoft 2007, I was using 03 before. Someone created a formula to calculate a date cycle time that took in consideration the 8 hour work day as well as the weekends. It won't work in the new version of excel, I get a #NAME? error. I can't figure out how to create the formula. Here is the old one: =IF(E2="Closed",workhours(B2,C2),"") Our company's servers also just moved to a different time zone, mountain, so all of the issues are date time stamped 2 hours off, we are in the eastern time zone. So I need to calculate that as well. Can...

More than 65536 lines
Excuse me if it's a FAQ (if yes, PLS tell me where to find the answer). I have a would-be Excel spreadsheet of more than 65536 lines, i.e. in excess of the number of lines allowed in my Excel version (Excel 2000 under Windows 2000). Is there a newer version (or several newer ones) of Excel that allows more than 65536 lines? If yes, TIA for telling me the version number(s), starting with the oldest one (that has a fair chance of running under Windows 2000). Jean-Daniel "Jean-Daniel Gousenberg" <jean-daniel.gousenberg@epfl.ch> skrev i melding news:jean-daniel.gousenberg-1...

Pivot table
I recorded a pivot table and have code like this in it. However, each day I run it against a different file and the Pivot Items are different. 1st day With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable5").PivotFields("Problem") .PivotItems("Upgrade").Visible = False .PivotItems("Slow Speed").Visible = False .PivotItems("Cannot Create Customer Account").Visible = False 2nd day With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable5").PivotFields("Problem") .PivotItems("Out of Service").Visible = F...

Payroll Automatic Overtime
When payroll is set to use automatic overtime, and hours are being entered day by day (thus appearing as multiple lines in payroll transaction entry), the way that automatic overtime "adjusts" the hours per line when it comes to the build and beyone can be confusing to employees. This is most noticeable when the time is coming over from Business Portal HRM, because after the payroll is processed, the employees see their paycheck view, which shows the hours per day/line being adjusted due to the automatic overtime, and they also see their historical timecard, which shows how t...

Calculating time difference over midnight!
I have read all of the tips and tricks to try to get an answer withou bothering anyone and I have come up empty. Here is my specific question: How do I calculate the time duration in minutes between two times whe the first time is before midnight and the second time is afte midnight? For example, how do I calculate the time difference i minutes between 11:00PM and 1:37AM the next the next day? Any help is appreciated -- sygazell ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sygazelle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Keeping photos in line
Several questions about moving photos in columns: I have a two column page, a manuscript of 150 pages, and want photos t slide with the type as I insert text in previous pages. I use th format, inline, move with copy instruction. Sometimes it moves th photo over to the other column. I want all photos inserted from files to automatically be embedded, o inline. Is there a command for that? Is there a better way to do a caption for the photos, what we printer call a cutline, than use a new text box? I have to in line it too, an it sometimes wants to move one or two lines when I give the order...

Switching x-axis & y-axis on line chart
I am working with a large data spreadsheet with year, number and currency data. My problem is when I extract data to create a standard line chart, the chart is defaulting to a specific x-axis and y-axis format with data related to each axis. For visualization purposes, I would prefer to have the data that is currently presented on the x-axis to instead be presented on the y-axis. And likewise, I would like the y-axis data be presented in the x-axis. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do this and the MS Excel Help menu does not seem to address this. Can anyone help? If ...

Data showing incorrectly on line chart #2
I've asked this question before, but since FOR THE LIFE OF ME I can't figure out how to bring up my previous question on the Microsoft board, I've posted it again. (Before I get tons of answers on how to pull it up again, let me just state that I've probably tried them all before. I've run my screen name through Google and found the question on other boards, but since I'm not a member of those boards, unless I join, I can't post a question/answer there. I've run the EXACT question through this MS board and haven't come up with a thing. I've ru...

How do i get lines on a line graph?
I am trying to plot a number of series of data on the same graph. It i experimental data with 'time' as the x axis. Measurements of th experimental data were taken at 4 hour intervals, but they were not al started at the same time. This means that the values of time in th table must increment by 1 but there will not be an experimental valu for each hour because a measurement was not taken. This is the tabl of data. 16 2.0 0.8 17 2.1 0.8 18 2.6 0.9 19 20 1.7 0.7 21 1.6 0.7 22 2.2 0.7 23 24 1.0 0.6 25 1.2 0.6 26 2.0 0.6 27 28 ...

add pictures to a table line
Hi all, I am enquiring is it possible to add a picture to each line in a table.Some may be blank and some may have pictures on it. The table is run as a search form and that is up and running though i am trying to add pictures of people to go with there information I am just wondering is this possible and if so how. and if it is possible Where does the picture go that are saved. Thank you for any help Paul paul@www.omachx.com see answer in another newsgroup where you posted this same question. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Paul (OMAC HX)" <paul@www.omachx....

Calibration Control
Does anyone know of a Calibration Control spreadsheet using Excel? There are several very expensive packages available OEM, but it looks like something Excel could handle easyly. ...

table lines making dashed
I was trying to make a verticle line in a table dashed, is there a way to do this. I didn' t find one in, format table. thanks bruce Using basic shapes and a bit of tweaking you can. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> wrote in message news:eyfYBn7mGHA.2056@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I was trying to make a verticle line in a table dashed, > is there a way to do this. I didn' t find one in, format table. > > thanks bruce > Oops - wrong reply to this question Try creating the table in Word then pastin...

Lines Between Columns
Publisher 2003 I have a newsletter page that is formatted to be double column. I want to place a 0.5 point line between the columns. Right clicking within the double columns then clicking on format text box>colors and lines then clicking the box in preview that is for the center line only nothing happens to the menu on the left. The "dashed", "style" and "weight " boxes are grayed out. Out of the six boxes shown there, the only two that activate the above quoted boxes are the two on the right of the bottom row (frame and frame with line down the middle). I ...

Adding a line to the line/column chart?
Is there anyway I can add a second line to the line/column chart? Basically I have 3 sets of data that I want to plot vs. time on the same graph. 1 using the column format, the other 2 being lines connected by data points. Create the chart using all the data, right click on the one you want to change to a line and select chart type from the dialogue box and choose the type you want. There are a few restrictions on the mix you can have though. -- John MOS Master Instructor Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Steven"...

Can I link timeline labels to a line chart?
I've been trying to do this for a bit and can't seem to find a way. I am trying to do a line chart of weekly sales for two product lines over several years (2 separate lines). What I would like to do is overlay labels for press releases (so you can see if they have an impact on sales) on the same chart, and have a line from the name of the press release to the correct corresponding point on the line chart that is "active", so as more points are added to the chart, the line indicating the unit corresponding to the date of the press release will move also. Additionally, the...

fonts line by line
I'm doing line by line translation. How can I easily use different fonts for alternating lines? Assuming you're pressing Enter at the end of each line, so each line is a separate paragraph: Define two paragraph styles, one for each font.* In the definition of each style, specify the other style as the "style for following paragraph". *In case you don't know, to define a style, click Format > Styles and Formatting (Word 2003 and earlier) or press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (Word 2007) to open the Styles pane, then click the New Style button. -- Regards, Jay ...

Dynamically control how many lines on a graph?
I apologize if this is a FAQ, for some reason my newsreader isn't picking up any messages from this group (looks like no postings) so hopefully I'll be able to access responses, if not, I'll googlesearch for responses later today and tomorrow... ------------------------------------------------ I have many sets of data, all on the same sheet (in a repeated pattern- starting in row 1, then 11, then 21, etc) My single graph is based on named ranges, and the named range(s) are based on Steve Bullen's funchart1 (autoexpanding chart) to control how many x-axis values are shown- whic...

Write from one file to a specific line of another
I need to make Excel read a value from a specific cell (A3 for instance) in a specific file (Input file), read a group of cells on that file (for instance D5:G5) and write them in a specific row (that corresponds to the value in cell A3) on a different file (Database). It would be really helpfull if somebody could give me some help on that. Thanks in advance Savvo, Would you want to overwrite the values that are already there, or would you want to insert a blank row? Is the value in A3 a row number? Where to you want D5:G5 to go? D to G of Database? Or would you rather that the numbers j...