calibration curve

I am setting up a chemistry calibration curve using data below

OD reading    Concentration
..020                   0
..045                   10
..245                   40  etc

Plotting in XY scatter chart and get trendline using polynomial function.
How can I determine the  concentration of an unkown solution ? I want to use
trendline data to do this.

0
pfgnj (2)

Put the Conc data in column A and the OD data in B
You can have headers ("Concentration", "OD" ) in row 1
Let's say the last row is 10
Select A1:B10, click the chart tool, select XY chart, use the first subtype
(markers without line)
On chart right click on a data point, select Insert Trendline and specify
polynomial or required order
To out the coefficients into cell use LINEST as shown in
http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm

You now have equation such as y = ax^2 + bx +c where x is conc and y is OD
You will have real numbers 12.45 = 2.34c^2 - 5.46c + 8.9 and will need to
solve for x

Most calibration curve I every used were linear y =mx + b
So x = (y - b)/m

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"PAUL GRAZIDE" <pfgnj@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I am setting up a chemistry calibration curve using data below
>
> OD reading    Concentration
> .020                   0
> .045                   10
> .245                   40  etc
>
> Plotting in XY scatter chart and get trendline using polynomial function.
> How can I determine the  concentration of an unkown solution ? I want to
> use trendline data to do this.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/17/2006 1:22:32 PM
Are you sure that a polynomial is an appropriate calibration curve here?  You
don't give enough points to assess the fit, but I am much more familiar with
OD calibration curves that are either log-linear or a 4- or 5-parameter
logistic equation.

Jerry

"PAUL GRAZIDE" wrote:

> I am setting up a chemistry calibration curve using data below
>
> OD reading    Concentration
> ..020                   0
> ..045                   10
> ..245                   40  etc
>
> Plotting in XY scatter chart and get trendline using polynomial function.
> How can I determine the  concentration of an unkown solution ? I want to use
> trendline data to do this.
0
post_a_reply (1395)
2/17/2006 10:40:16 PM
Polynomial in this case is correct, because the curve is not linear.  If
curve was linear, then i would use y=mx+b.

Thanks

"Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message
> Are you sure that a polynomial is an appropriate calibration curve here?
> You
> don't give enough points to assess the fit, but I am much more familiar
> with
> OD calibration curves that are either log-linear or a 4- or 5-parameter
> logistic equation.
>
> Jerry
>
> "PAUL GRAZIDE" wrote:
>
>> I am setting up a chemistry calibration curve using data below
>>
>> OD reading    Concentration
>> ..020                   0
>> ..045                   10
>> ..245                   40  etc
>>
>> Plotting in XY scatter chart and get trendline using polynomial function.
>> How can I determine the  concentration of an unkown solution ? I want to
>> use
>> trendline data to do this.

0
pfgnj (2)
2/17/2006 11:26:32 PM
I did not suggest that your data was not curved.  I suggested that over an
appropriate range log(OD) might straighten it into a line.  Barring that, you
would probably get a better fit from a model that flattens out toward max and
min values (as OD must) instead of increasing or decreasing without bound (as
a polynomial must).

Jerry

"PAUL GRAZIDE" wrote:

> Polynomial in this case is correct, because the curve is not linear.  If
> curve was linear, then i would use y=mx+b.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message
> > Are you sure that a polynomial is an appropriate calibration curve here?
> > You
> > don't give enough points to assess the fit, but I am much more familiar
> > with
> > OD calibration curves that are either log-linear or a 4- or 5-parameter
> > logistic equation.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > "PAUL GRAZIDE" wrote:
> >
> >> I am setting up a chemistry calibration curve using data below
> >>
> >> OD reading    Concentration
> >> ..020                   0
> >> ..045                   10
> >> ..245                   40  etc
> >>
> >> Plotting in XY scatter chart and get trendline using polynomial function.
> >> How can I determine the  concentration of an unkown solution ? I want to
> >> use
> >> trendline data to do this.

0
post_a_reply (1395)

Calculation of Area Under a Continuos curve......Scatter Curve.
The variables are part of a scatter diagram, i.e. the variables plotted on X axis do not have any defined relationship with the Variables of Y axis...... Hi, I am working on calculating area under a Continuous Curve.. I have data poitnts...On X axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable X) and on Y axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable Y). If i plot a curve by joinig thses points i get a smooth curve. If i have to calculate the exact area under the curve using Integration Function in Excel Sheet how should i proceed. Data points are : Issuers Defaulters Cum Issuers % ...

.bat file to calibrate barcode blaster advantage printer
Is it possible to create a .bat file that would run the calibrate command for barcode blaster printer? Need to use gap labels then switch to bar labels. I have the calibration commands if needed. ...

Calibration Control
Does anyone know of a Calibration Control spreadsheet using Excel? There are several very expensive packages available OEM, but it looks like something Excel could handle easyly. ...

How to I convert text to curves in Microsoft Publisher?
You can't. This is a feature normally found in draw applications rather than DTP applications. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Michael, you can put text into Word Art, make it look like normal text by choosing a basic style and then you can shape it with Word Art shapes. It won't be practical for long text but for titles and stuff it works terrific. -- Katmido University of Delaware "Ed Bennett" wrote: > You can't. This is a feature normally found in draw applications rather > than DTP applications. > > -- > Ed Benn...

How can i extrapolate and find/show values on a calibration curve
Im am writing the scientific report where I have a calibration curve. I want to use that and find the concentration of an unknown sample. This is easily done by hand, but how do i show it on exel and on the chart itself? I will assume that the calibration curve is linear (y = mx + b) In some cell (say D1) we can find the slope (m) with the formula =SLOPE(y-values, x-values) Something like =SLOPE(B2:B12, A2:A12) Likewise in say D2 we can find intercept (b) with =INTERCEPT(y-values, x-values) Let D3 contain the measured y-value from which you need to compute its x-value Let these values...

curve fitting
I've a monthly data set starting from march 1995 to feb 2005. how could I fit varios liner and non liner trend lines by SPSS10 and judg which one is the most appropriate statistically? somsankarsen - You posted a message about SPSS in an Excel newsgroup. If you want to use Excel, the Add Trendline feature includes linear and several nonlinear options. If you want to examine seasonality, you could use Excel's Regression tool. For more guidance using Excel, my book, "Data Analysis Using Microsoft Excel: Updated for Office XP," has chapters on simple linear regression...

Curve radius
I use Visio 2000 (SP2) and have Accident Reporting and Crime Scene add-ins to create scale diagrams of traffic accident scenes. Is there any way to automate curve length, chord and radius? Any tip that allows the use of the "Size & Position" window would be most helpful, but any tip at all will be appreciated! I have used Visio since 2000 came out and am comfortable with it, i.e., I can use it to automate other shapes, but I dont see any where to automate curves!!! Thank you in advance! It can be automated by creating some VBA code. Most highway and residential curves are comp...

How do I graph a melting point calibration curve?
I have a theoretical values of three compunds and I got experimental values. I am trying to graph them and it does not work Here are the values of temp: EXPERIMENTAL: x-axis 80 C 109.5 127.5 THEORETICAL: y-axis 80 109.5 132.7 I cannot graph these values. Does anybody have any suggestions? What do you mean when you say "I cannot graph these values"? What did you try, and what happened that you did not like? Are all of the values numeric? "80 C" looks like it is likely text. Jerry "NANCY" wrote: > I have a theoretical val...

I need a bezier curve the example? Who may provide? Extremely thank!
I need a bezier curve the example? Who may provide? Extremely thank! ...

curve fitting a charging capacitor type curve
Hi all, Newbie to this forum, but need some excel help. I have collected a bunch of data from an object as it heats up. The curve is very similar to a capacitor charging current curve. In my case, manually trying to approximate this curve, I come up with a formula of y= (rise)*(1-exp(-time))+ambient. Is there a way in excel to fit a curve like this or do I need an aftermarket solution? I need something that will use the data points and perform calculations to determine the curve. Thanks, Sean -- mcgradys ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mcgradys&#...

Excel 2000: Can I display more than one curve in a single chart
Hi All, Can I display more than one curve (i.e., more than a single set of data points) in a single chart? I am using Excel 2000. tia Avraham Makeler. Sure. Select more than 2 columns when you create the chart. Alternately select the chart and follow the prompts at Chart|Add Data Jerry Avraham Makeler wrote: > Hi All, > > Can I display more than one curve (i.e., more than a single set of data > points) in a single chart? > > I am using Excel 2000. > > tia > > Avraham Makeler. ...

calibration curve
I am setting up a chemistry calibration curve using data below OD reading Concentration ..020 0 ..045 10 ..245 40 etc Plotting in XY scatter chart and get trendline using polynomial function. How can I determine the concentration of an unkown solution ? I want to use trendline data to do this. Put the Conc data in column A and the OD data in B You can have headers ("Concentration", "OD" ) in row 1 Let's say the last row is 10 Select A1:B10, click the chart tool, select XY chart, use the first subtype (ma...

S-Curve Plotting
Hi I am not sure whether or not this is possible. However, I have 3 rows of data and need to create a S-Curve of the information. For example, at the start of a project, you have increasing costs, then the costs level out for a few months and then they drop or stop once the project is complete. Can someone tell me the best way to create something called a S-Curve. Many thanks Sue Have a look here http://peltiertech.com/index.html I found this site on a previous post in this NG. It is very helpful to me when I need help with charts. Charlie O'Neill >-----Original Message-...

Calibration database
Hi all, I'm new at Access and I am trying to figure out how to create a database to keep track of tools in my shop (machine shop) and also to remind me whenever individual tools are due for recalibration. Does anyone have any information that can help me? Thanks in advance, Jim On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:23:01 -0800, Jim Jenkins <Jim Jenkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm new at Access and I am trying to figure out how to create a database to >keep track of tools in my shop (machine shop) and also to remind me whenever >in...

Curve-fitting
I have a graph that I'd like to fit a curve to, but the 'trend-line' function doesn't seem to get close. Does anyone know of a spreadsheet that'll calculate a curve equation from a given set of data? -- Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me) Start here: http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/chart_trendline_formulas/ -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007L "Paul Hyett" wrote: > I have a graph that I'd like to fit a curve to, but the 'trend-line' > function doesn't seem to get c...

Drawing a Quadratic Curve in Excel
hello. how do u draw a quadratic curve in Excel? thanks. -- Xero http://www.chezjeff.net My personal web portal Where do you want it (on a worksheet) and what do you want to do with i afterwards? regard -- tony ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2107 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55091 The page Normal curve http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/ illustrates 3 ways of drawing a curve. The techniques are...

Curve fitting in Excel
I have a set of data points and wish to do a curve fit. How can I do this in Excel? The figure is 3D. Thanks, Vidya See Excel Tips for how to use LINEST for polynomial fit See TUSHA at www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ tips/trendline_coefficients.htm for other curves Not sure what you mean by 3D in this context Do you know about Trendlines in XY charts? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Vidya Raja" <Vidya Raja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73C85BE5-E041-4EF8-87B8-7430521AC47E@microsoft.com... >I have a set of data ...

Navigational Learning Curve
Why do I have to completely re-learn how to use Micro-Soft products every time there is a new release? I have become quite proficient at using Access 2003, but now I spend most of my time trying to figure out where things are. Does the Easter Bunny work for you when he's not hiding eggs? Can I make 2007 look like 2003? cwmagui wrote: > Why do I have to completely re-learn how to use Micro-Soft products every > time there is a new release? I have become quite proficient at using > Access 2003, but now I spend most of my time trying to figure out where > thing...

Curve Words
We made a flyer with the border being only words to draw attention to the main body of the flyer and would like to be able to curve the words in the corners so that there isn't a break but rather one continuous square with rounded corners. I would go and place a suggestion for upcoming releases of Publisher, I agree this layout effect is missing in Publisher... Jan "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote in message news:OdbKKkIeHHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > You'll need a graphic design program that allows you to "fit type to a > pat...

calibration lines, calculation
I'm using excel for my calibration lines. Excel can give the formula of the line. I use this formula to calculate the unknow values. I have to put the formula in a cell. This is no problem with lineair calibration lines but it because more difficult with other lines of other orders. Is there a simple command or formula in excel to calculate unknow values using the formula of the calibration line excel gives? Thanks, Frans See Bernard Liengme's http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and V...

looking for a template of bell curve graph
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "darrich" <darrich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4465F7C1-22CB-4D4D-8344-6C5C0B33AC72@microsoft.com... > I have the percentages for a bell curve; I just want to plug in the percentages with a professional-looking bell curve model. I am a graduate student assisting a professor with his Power Point lectures and I am having a difficult time making a bell curve that would look professional. darric wrote: looking for a template of bell curv...

Calculation of Area Under a Continuos curve......
Hi, I am working on calculating area under a Continuous Curve.. I have data points...On X axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable X) and on Y axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable Y). If i plot a curve by joinig thses points i get a smooth curve. If i have to calculate the exact area under the curve using Integration Function in Excel Sheet how should i proceed. Data points are : Issuers Defaulters Cum Issuers % Cum Defaulters % C 3 0 0.287907869 0 B 4 2 0.671785029 7.407407407 BB 35 5 4.030710173 25.92592593 BBB 242 15 27.25527831 81.48148148 A 293 4 55.37428023 96.2962963 AA...

Bell Curve Chart
I have 2 columns of data - see below. My boss wants me to create a bell curve chart, but if I use the chart wizard and select "Line" from the Standard Types tab then my chart has steep angles. I reviewed Article 213930 "How To Create A Bell Curve Chart" - 4 pages of complicated how to's and got hung up on the first page. Can anyone provide me with some easy to follow instructions? A-1 11 A-2 16 A-3 23 B-1 60 B-2 32 B-3 18 C-1 9 C-2 4 C-3 2 Try using an XY chart with smoothed lines. As for creating a Bell Curve Chart - those are the simples...

Help Please. Where do I find a curved double arrow connector???
Help Please. Where do I find a curved double arrow connector??? Any connector can be double arrow simply by selecting the arrowhead dialog box (it's a button on the toolbar). Just put in a curved connector (stencil Visio Extras > Connectors), and then change the arrowhead settings. >-----Original Message----- >Help Please. Where do I find a curved double arrow connector??? >. > Thank you for your help but I may have asked my question wrong. I am using the CURVED ARROW from stencil: BLOCK DIAGRAMS>BLOCKS. I would like to use a curved arrow like this but I need i...

how to create a 4 parameter logistic equation curve ( 4 P L Curve
how to create a 4 parameter logistic equation curve ( 4 P L Curve ) with VB , VBA or Excel? instead of using MatLab or other Math add-in ? thanks in advance In article <3CDB610D-71E4-4593-A808-928EA4B5AE89@microsoft.com>, sunlite@discussions.microsoft.com says... > > how to create a 4 parameter logistic equation curve ( 4 P L Curve ) with VB , > VBA or Excel? instead of using MatLab or other Math add-in ? > > thanks in advance Program the solution to equation, then use your favorite plotting tool to plot it. D thanks David so much! Would y...