Business Case Charting

15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task.  I would like to
plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the chart,
draw a consensus as to the most accurate time for the task.  What would
comprise such a chart and, would there be a way to model the estimated times
to produce the consensus (formulas, functions, VBA, etc)?

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Hageman
> 15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task.  I would like
> plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the chart,
> draw a consensus as to the most accurate time for the task.  What would
> comprise such a chart and, would there be a way to model the estimated
> times
> to produce the consensus (formulas, functions, VBA, etc)?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Hi Phil,

I am not sure that you will necessarily get a "normal curve".  I might be
inclined just to plot a histogram.

Tools | Data Analysis | Histogram.

Just food for thought.

Regards,
Kevin

0
nospam710 (114)
12/17/2004 3:08:21 AM
I agree that it's usually a good idea to first "look at the data." And, if
you want a better histogram, arrange the fifteen values in a column on a
worksheet, and use my free add-in to obtain the frequency distribution and
histogram. Visit the "Better Histogram" page at www.treeplan.com.

-  Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

++++++++++++++++++

"Kevin H. Stecyk" <nospam@no123spam.com> wrote in message
> Phil Hageman
>> 15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task.  I would like
>> plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the
>> chart,
>> draw a consensus as to the most accurate time for the task.  What would
>> comprise such a chart and, would there be a way to model the estimated
>> times
>> to produce the consensus (formulas, functions, VBA, etc)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> I am not sure that you will necessarily get a "normal curve".  I might be
> inclined just to plot a histogram.
>
> Tools | Data Analysis | Histogram.
>
> Just food for thought.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

0
middleton1 (108)
12/17/2004 6:45:54 AM
Michael R Middleton wrote...
>I agree that it's usually a good idea to first "look at the data." And, if
>you want a better histogram, arrange the fifteen values in a column on a
>worksheet, and use my free add-in to obtain the frequency distribution and
>histogram. Visit the "Better Histogram" page at www.treeplan.com.
>
> -  Mike
>
> www.mikemiddleton.com

Hi Mike,

Thank you for commenting.  I found your website very interesting and have
bookmarked it.

Best regards,
Kevin

0
nospam710 (114)
12/17/2004 7:23:26 AM
Mike and Kevin,
Thanks for your replies - I'll set up a test case and see if the histogram,
plus a mean and standard deviation provide the consensus I'm looking for.
FYI, John Walkenback discribes a normal distribution/histogram combination
chart  in his book "Excel Charts" (pg. 281),  but he's a little sketchie on
its construction.  This may a good model, but will take some work to figure
out.
Regards,
Phil

"Kevin H. Stecyk" wrote:

> Michael R Middleton wrote...
> >I agree that it's usually a good idea to first "look at the data." And, if
> >you want a better histogram, arrange the fifteen values in a column on a
> >worksheet, and use my free add-in to obtain the frequency distribution and
> >histogram. Visit the "Better Histogram" page at www.treeplan.com.
> >
> > -  Mike
> >
> > www.mikemiddleton.com
> >

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thank you for commenting.  I found your website very interesting and have
> bookmarked it.
>
> Best regards,
> Kevin

Org Chart
I created an oprganizational chart in Excel 2000 at home and I was trying to edit the chart in Excel 2002. When I double click the chart it states that it can not start thye sorce application for this object. Any ideas? ...

Business Cards with my own clip art?
I would like to creat my own business card, with my own clip art. What's stopping you? "business card with clip art" <business card with clip art@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A1021E6-8340-4C26-ABCF-61944C6945BC@microsoft.com... :I would like to creat my own business card, with my own clip art. See http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP...

Modifying a Chart Object Name #2
Im making a MACRO to alter montly many different files with the same paddern. In these files there are many sheets with a few Charts. Those charts are two for INCOME and two for PROFIT in each sheet. My problem is that the name of the Charts in the macro appear with the number that Excel applyed to it and i would like to make standar names for each Chart. This way there would be only 4 chart names for each sheet, instead of 16 diferent chart names for the 4 sheets in the file im working. This is how the part of the macro looks: - ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Gr�fico 8").Activate- ....

Cutting a line in a line chart when data series stops
I have a series like so: Jan 10 Feb 10 Mar 11 Apr 12 May Jun Jul And so on - the rest of the year is blank. When I draw a line chart for the full 12 months the series draws a line up to April, then plummets to zero in May. I want the line to just stop at April. If I use a series as above and genuine empty cells for the end of the year this ok, but since my May cell reads =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,"") the "" does not seem to get recognised as a blank cell. Please help!! Change your formula to =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,NA()) -- David Biddulph "DannyS" <Da...

Business manager
What is business manager component doing for Outlook? Thanks, Ray Which version of Outlook? There are various addins that use the words business and manager. The newest is the Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-...

Flexible Y-Axis in a Waterfall chart
Hi, I have created a waterfall chart based on the following website http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html The chart shows the changes from Budgeted Revenue to Actual Revenue. Problem : The chart is based on revenue numbers on a regional level with a drop down to select any country within the region also. For eg. The Budgeted Revenue is $50m with a variance of +/-2m to arrive at Actual Revenue. Inorder to amplify the impact of the changes, I have set the Y-axis scale to start at $47m. The changes (Plus and Minuses) become too small to have any impact if the scale is set to sta...

View Free/Busy Data
I have an Exchange Org that consists of three admin groups with a total of 1 server per admin group. Currently as it stands, users not able to view free/busy information from one exchange server to another. I am aware that you can accomplish this by creating replicas of your publics folders, however do not know exactly where to enable this. I do not want to replicate actual public folders, but only want users to be able to view free/busy data from users on a different exchange server. Under the system folders in the public folder, there is a folder called Schedule + Free Busy...Do I...

Business club, Business leads, New business opportunities
Title: Business club, Business leads, New business opportunities Welcome to Biz-Club the UK's first truly independent internet based networking group established in 2006 for SME's, that allows you the member to choose how it can best work for you. Operate locally, regionally or nationally with all the advantages of a business networking group but almost none of the disadvantages. Enjoy membership of Biz-Club alongside your existing affiliations plus a host of other valuable benefits all at a cost far lower than that normally provided by traditional business networking groups. Be treat...

Outlook 2000 in Office 2000 Small Business
I have done several clean installs w/several different versions of Outlook from discs and I cannot get Outlook to open w/out crashing upon loading. All other components of Office work great. I began having problems w/Outlook when I began using Outlook Express.... Maybe they are related. Please help. ...

How can I use a different layout on a business card template?
I want to use the design on one of the business card templates (Colors), but I like the text layout on another one. Is there a simple way to remove the formatting on the Colors template, and replace it with another? I have already designed a card I like on another template, and want to copy that so I have the colors in the Color template. I am using Publisher 2003. Thank you. Copy and paste? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "emichel" <emichel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:621E331B-E7A7-4D11-93F3-D3991516E3F4@microsoft.com... >I ...

Schedule free/busy
Hi there, I have one problem, All users can see others calendar. Example, when user a send a meeting invitation to user b, at the same time is sending a exchangelegacydn atribute so user b receives all calendar information about user a. I need to know how to do to every user only see availability calendar but information about the meeting. Thank you a lot for your help, I made a lot of tests but nothing worked -- Mark ...

Installing Business Portal, done, but issues
I've just installed BP 2.0...install went clean. However now when I try to access the site for the first time, I get an Invalid User error (Server Error in '/' Application. Invalid user.) I did change the bp accont to use as per the installation instructions to the "Network Service" account. Do I need to setup or add the actual users somewhere else first? I did not install the sample users. I was able to sort of login with the local server account, which is what I used to install the product. But most of the web parts show errors like the above. Chris, Wh...

Overlaying charts
Saw a posting some time ago about how to show the results of two charts on one. Can someone please redirect me to the proper URL for Jon Peltier? Thanks in advance for any help. Hi Allen, I think this is what you need, (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/chartvba.html#AlignCharts) Cheers Andy Allen Duncan wrote: > Saw a posting some time ago about how to show the results of two charts > on one. Can someone please redirect me to the proper URL for Jon > Peltier? > > Thanks in advance for any help. > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope....

how to change business address
I can't seem to figure out for the life of me WHERE OR HOW to change my business address so my NEW address prints on my invoices now that I have moved. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE????? LGLEIM In microsoft.public.money, LGleim wrote: > can't seem to figure out for the life of me WHERE OR HOW to change my >business address so my NEW address prints on my invoices now that I have >moved. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE????? Is there a Tools->Settings->BusinessInformation place? YES!!! You did it! Thank you so much! "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote: ...

Business Portal for GP 9.0 and WSS/MOSS 2007?
Hi, I think I know the answer to this but need something official. If we are running Dynamics GP 9.0 and therefore BusinessPortal 3.0 (is that right?) we have to be running WSS 2.0 or SPS 2003. Correct? Can GP 9.0/BP 3.0 run under WSS 3.0 or MOSS 2007? Will it run? Is it a supported configuration? Alan Alan, Thanks for using the newsgroups. You are correct. GP 9.0/BP 3.0 is only compatible with WSS 2.0 and SPS 2003. GP 10.0/BP 4.0 is compatible with MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0. In terms of SharePoint, these are our only supported configurations. Thanks Rob -- Rob Bernhardt Softwa...

How to 3D Chart?
I want to show this date as point in 3D chart. 3 unit is axis of X,Y,Z. (I can make more than 3 axis of chart?) Thanks. 0 1 9 0 4 3 9 2 8 0 5 2 5 6 8 8 6 4 3 1 9 0 0 3 7 0 7 6 5 8 7 4 0 8 5 4 8 5 0 0 5 3 4 3 8 1 0 7 8 0 2 7 1 5 8 0 3 7 6 6 Cactus, Excel charting does not have this capability. You need three value axes. The Scatter chart gives you two value axes. The other chart types give you one, with additional category or series axes (items evenly spaced on the axis). -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "...

Home Business
http://homebusiness.uk.tt/ -- Whatever the Mind can Conceive & Believe the Mind will Achieve Start your own home Business : http://homebusiness.uk.tt/ ...

bubble chart #3
I am creating a bubble chart, and I am having a hard time getting the bubles to scale properly. I'm actually plotting XY coordinates with the radius being the "uncertainy" of the position. The uncertainty is close to the same value as the XY positions (ex. X=4, Y=7, R=8). The bubbles are coming up much smaller than they should show. The "scale bubble size" option is set to 100% of default under the "format data series" dialog box. It's not the problem that I am mixing up DIA or Radius. I've found nothing in help or in FAQs. Can anyone hel...

how do I get rid of microsift office small business 2007?
how do I get rid of microsift office small business 2007? Throw it in the garbage or the incinator. Describe exactly what ,how and why in detail -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "waltond" <waltond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8CB283A4-35B1-4C1C-8155-2A7B47E82937@microsoft.com... > how do I get rid of microsift office small business 2007? Uninstall it. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher]...

Deposits in Money Small Business.
Currently I select payment received for all invoices I bill which creates a deposit entry in my register. The problem is when I download my banks transaction only one entry is specified for the Deposit entry from the bank. How do I combine multiple deposits to match the banks download deposit entry? How do I tell money which deposit transactions to add to match the deposit? I have tried to use "Change" during the matching but that doesn't give me any help and doesn't list the deposit entries? I'm currently using delete to get rid of the deposit entry but the transact...

How do I stop plotted data from going to zero in a line chart?
Text in cells are plotted as zeros in Excel 2003 with Windows XP. Use #N/A instead of text. Jerry Dozier wrote: > Text in cells are plotted as zeros in Excel 2003 with Windows XP. I have multiple columns and enter tradiing (commodity) date daily. Formulae are in the columns which become values when the daily data is entered. I have been using Lotus and am trying with difficulty to convert to Excel "Dozier" wrote: > Text in cells are plotted as zeros in Excel 2003 with Windows XP. Formulas must return sumething (Excel has no missing or empty cell value). Anything o...

Plot area distorted when I copy Excel chart into Powerpoint
I am trying to embed an Excel chart into a Powerpoint slide. The chart is an object located on an Excel worksheet and is sized (5.45" x 9.3") such that no scaling is required in Powerpoint. I have the "lock aspect ratio" option turned on. Whenever I embed the chart into Powerpoint (by using copy --> paste), the size of the chart area is 5.45" x 9.3" (just like I want) but the plot area of the chart is distorted so that it doesn't fill the entire chart area. I can correct this issue by opening up the chart from Powerpoint and expanding the plot area so i...

How do I set the form # for business cards in publisher 2000
I have created a business card in Publisher 2000. when I go to print it the only option I get is to select is 2"x 3 1/2" business card. That is the correct size but it does not print properly on Avery 8873 template. I cannot find where it will let me select Avery 8873 template. All business cards are created equal in Publisher 2000 if you are creating 10 per sheet. Page setup, Special Size, Business Cards. When you are ready to print, File, Print, Page Options, Click custom options, Side Margin .75 Top Margin .5 Zero Gaps. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ChuckP...

business portal tables
Howdy there kind folks. I need to track down the tables in the Dynamics database that hold all the purchase order information. Particularly the bits that deal with transferring a purchase request to a purchase order. i started looking but theres just too many. I know all the requisition ones start with reqmgmt. Sadly the purchase order ones dont seem to follow this idea. many thanks. they are not in the Dynamics database, the purchase order tables are contained in the company database (like TWO) and they begin with POP the POP10xxx series are the work tables you should be looking at. ...

How do I change my business name in Money 2007?
I installed Money 2007 and initially put in a business name that I'm trying to change now. I click on Business, and I go to Account settings and I change the name there. This changes it everywhere except for on the invoices that I print. The template's placeholder for <<company name>> is still putting what I had originally put in there. Where do I change this!? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! How about in the Invoice Designer that gets installed along with M2007? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http...