Bubble Charts in Excel

 I am trying to map the position of plants using X and Y coordinates and the
area cover by each plant using the diameter in a bubble chart of Excel, but
the graphs look unrealistic. I would like to know what is the equation Excel
uses to calculate the size (area) of each point in the bubble charts so that
I can adjust my size parameter.
Thank you so much,
Juan
0
Juan (55)

As I understand it, the bubble sizes are relative sizes.   If you want the
data to be smaller, you'll have to put in a data point with a "large" bubble
size that you can make invisible.  This will rescale the bubble sizes for
all of the other bubbles.

"Juan" <Juan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to map the position of plants using X and Y coordinates and
> the
> area cover by each plant using the diameter in a bubble chart of Excel,
> but
> the graphs look unrealistic. I would like to know what is the equation
> Excel
> uses to calculate the size (area) of each point in the bubble charts so
> that
> I can adjust my size parameter.
> Thank you so much,
> Juan

0
reply6075 (299)
4/23/2005 3:54:49 PM
Jon Peltier's article on bubble chart bubble sizes may help you:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ControlBubbleSizes.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
4/23/2005 4:52:33 PM
Thank you Debra for your help. However, I still have the problem. I need to
scale the size of the bubbles relative to X-Y axes for their size to show how
much space is occupied. Do you know of any available software that can do
this?
Thanks again,
Juan

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> Jon Peltier's article on bubble chart bubble sizes may help you:
>
>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ControlBubbleSizes.html
>
> Juan wrote:
> >  I am trying to map the position of plants using X and Y coordinates and the
> > area cover by each plant using the diameter in a bubble chart of Excel, but
> > the graphs look unrealistic. I would like to know what is the equation Excel
> > uses to calculate the size (area) of each point in the bubble charts so that
> > I can adjust my size parameter.
> > Thank you so much,
> > Juan
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Juan (55)

Controlling Gap Width for BAR Chart
Hi, I have the following data for example. A = 2 B= 3 C = 4 I can create a 2 D Bar chart from this quite easily. Now If I make the data to A = 2 , 3 B= 3 , 4 C = 4 , 5 I do want to plot the data on the basis of first two values as mentioned in the first example, but I want to control the width of the Bar from the value given after comma. Please help. On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Fazi <farazahmedtoor@gmail.com> said: >I have the following data for example. >A = 2 , 3 >B= 3 , 4 >C = 4 , 5 > >I want to plot the data on the basis of firs...

Multiple charts in one big chart -- how to rotate to vertical position?
I have 3 small charts set into one larger landscape chart. I can manipulate the small charts, but if the page were oriented vertically instead of horizontally I could expand the small charts to reveal more detail. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about, or how to achieve this result? from this +------------------------------------------------------------------+ |+---------------------------+ +--------------------------------+| || | | || || | | ...

Excel XP VBA code to search all macro code in Excel module for specific search string
Hi all, I am looking to write a Excel XP vba code which will allow me t search for a specific search string in a Excel macro module for all th "xls" spreadsheet type files in the folder location which will promp me which could be "C:\" . For example..I want to search all the spreadsheets for the strin "C:\temp" hardcoded into the Excel XP macro module using an automate solution like Excel XP VBA. I am using Excel XP on Windows XP o/s. Please help me out with the code as I have to present a report to m manager in 2 days. Thanks, Roger. E-mail: raj_aryan1947@y...

Charting
I am trying to figure out a way to add an additional Y-Axis line to a chart. Current chart is a standard bar chart with about 10 rows of data (cost breakdown). I want to add a cost per square foot, but when I try to add it to the Y-Axis by creating a custom bar line chart, it wants to add other lines of data to that axis. In addition, I can't get rid of the cost per square foot in the data table. It is not a per project total like the bars in the graph, but a cumulative cost per foot for all bars in the graph. In addition, I want to show the totals of all the data per project wit...

VB Excel Range
I need to compare the values in a cell in one workbook to the same cell in another workbook and store them in the same cell in a new workbook. I wrote the code already to open each workbook, add a new workbook, and format my heading information on the sheets. However, I am struggling with finding an efficient way to make the value of A1 in my new workbook=A1 in workbook1 - A1 in workbook2. With the Range command, is there any way to have the cell know its own address? Or do I have to increment cell by cell, store the address and then insert that information into the formula to perform the s...

EXCEL #2
HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF EXCEL IS INCLUDED IN WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL THAT I'M CONSIDERING PURCHASING? ...

Question about charts
If I have two lines in a line graph and they criss-cross (like a supply and demand curve), how can I find the exact values on the x and y axis where the two lines cross? Is this possible by using Excel? Let's hope you made XY chats (no Line charts) - change chart if necessary Insert Trendlines for both (better yet use SLOPE and INTERCEPT functions) So Now you know y1=m1x1+b1 and y2=m2x2+b2 At point of intersection y1=y2 and x1=x2 m2x+b2 = m1x+b1 x= (b1-b2)/(m2-m1) y = m1x + b Its all rather simple algebra. Bernard (you can call me Prof <grin>) www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme &quo...

How to label bubbles in bubble chart
I'm trying to graph multiple rows, each of which has 3 data values. I want to graph a bubble chart whose X-axis, Y-axis, and bubble size represent these 3 data values. But I also want the bubbles to be different colors so I can distinguish them by row. Finally, I'd like to label the colors with row names in the legend. Is this possible? Kathy wrote: > I'm trying to graph multiple rows, each of which has 3 > data values. I want to graph a bubble chart whose X-axis, > Y-axis, and bubble size represent these 3 data values. > But I also want the bubbles to be dif...

Pocket Excel files (.pxl) do not open in Excel 2003 on XP desktop
I just tried to open a Pocket Excel file on my Windows XP desktop and the file could not be opened. Has anyone had any luck opening Pocket excel files on a desktop PC without converting them? Pocket Excel I believe is the .pxl format that the Handheld PC and the PocketPC use. I may want to password protect files and send them to a party that does not have a PocketPC. Can this be done, or do I need to convert the files to MS excel and password protect a seperate .zip file using resco File explorer? I cannot send any files to this party that are not password protected for the risk is to...

How do I bring up a file that I saved as an Excel file?
I am taking classes and have to do work on Excel and was wondering why when I save them I can't retrieve them? I can see the file names but am not able to retrieve them I am inexperienced on Office. Hi open excel, choose file & open, locate your files, click on the one you want to open and press the Open button. however, if the files that you want to open are on a floppy disk then it is a VERY good idea to copy them onto your hard drive before opening them. This is best achieved using windows explorer. to do this: right mouse click on the start button choose explore ensure the flo...

Dynamic chart #9
is it possiable to make a chart like this, I got the dates in the first row, that is B01:NC01 the data is in B25:NC01, this row has a forumla in it, which gets updated each day, what I want is a dynamic chart that, will only show the current month, so when the first comes around the chart will again be blank, I know that the number of days in the month will change with each month. Is there any way to create a chart like this, I know how to use, the name range. Thanks ...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Excel file save macro.
I need help with a macro. I want to be able to save a file as a listed name, that is referenced in a cell, in a directory that is listed in a different cell. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Post your efforts. Homework? "darrenlshipley" <darrenlshipley.vecxb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:darrenlshipley.vecxb@excelforum-nospam.com... > I need help with a macro. I want to be able to save a file as a listed > name, tha...

how do you add names on a bubble chart?
hi does anyone know how to add names on a bubble chart? In article <D3AD4FAC-A0D3-4C77-AF73-72313357E6CF@microsoft.com>, Ravi@discussions.microsoft.com says... > hi does anyone know how to add names on a bubble chart? > What do you mean by "names?" Series names? Chart or axis title? Data labels? Custom text? Something else? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions I bet he wants custom data labels. Here are two great (and free!) utilities for labeling Excel charts: Rob Bo...

Excel Formula Troubles
I'm having trouble with excel formulas....... If i have a large table with numerical data and i am interested in writing a formula that will take all cells with #'s greater then 2 and replacing that # with the word "Up". Is this possible? Any Feedback is appreciated Thanks!! Formulas cannot replace values in another cell. They can only return results into the cell in which they are written. You would need a macro to replace. Sub change_to_Up() Dim rr As Range For Each rr In Selection If rr.Value > 2 Then rr.Value = "Up" ...

Excel 2007 Chart in VB6 Program
I have another thread in the VB group and was told to post to these two groups so sorryfor the multi-post. Ill post there again just in case folks want to follow the thread. So I've had a Visual Basic 6 app (as an EXE) that has worked great for the last 9 years or so. Up until Excel 2003 I have had to make minimial changes for it to work properly. The app has an OLE control which acts as a container for many different external sources .In this control I embed an Excel workbook and display a chart sheet. I can interact with the workbook through the normal means of Excel programming objects...

Provide the ability to add a horizontal line to a chart in Excel
At times an event happends for which a horizontal line is a good visual indicative of the expected change in a timeline chart. Hi, Try this sites for some examples of adding lines to charts http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Avi wrote: > At times an event happends for which a horizontal line is a good visual > indicative of the expected change in a timeline chart. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Chart in Excel
Is it possible to convert a Chart in Excel so that it is "fixed", ie. still looks the same, but is no longer connected to the source data ? I know that I could save it as a jpg, and then insert it as a picture, but is there a way to do it more directly. Thanks, Rob I have a note in my notes after drawings chart in conventional way 1.click the chart 2.highlight the formula in the fomrula bar 3.hit F9 4.hit enter now the chart is based on actual data and not cells. try a few small experiments. "OM" <OM@youknowwhere.com> wrote in message news:44f57d15$0$11970...

P value in excel
Hi, Is there a method/code to find out the p value in excel. I have 30 or more data points and i wish to find out is the data normal or not based on the p value. Same can be done in Minitab, please help me doing same in excel. Thansk! Gaurav Read the wikpedia webpage below 'Normal distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution) Read sections 1) Standardizing normal random variables 2) Moments 3) And at the top of the webpage : (variance: &#963;2 ) The p value is based on sigma square as shown in th...

change bubble order in a bubble chart
I have inherited a company bubble chart that compares the outcome of a calculation with 3 variables with an ideal. Sometimes project value - the one that sets the size - is smaller than ideal. In this case the bubble for the project is eclipsed by the ideal. How do I modify "bubble order" to decide which is in-front and which is behind? This is accomplished by sorting the data high to low, or by sorting the series in the chart, larger values to smaller. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ &...

X-Axis Units Disappear in Stacked Area Chart (Excel 2007)
I have a stacked area chart that charts percentages over 12 months (Jan-Dec). This chart also includes a data series of 100% (as a line chart). Both series, one plotted as a stacked area, the other plotted as a line chart type are on the primary axis. The x-axis is set to display Jan-Dec. The y-axis is set to display the percentages. In the axis option I have set the unit choices to auto. When I save and close the file that contains the chart and then re-open, the x- axis only shows Jan on the x-axis. When I go back into the Axis Options dialog box, the major unit, minor unit, and base unit op...

Bubble Sizes in Bubble Chart
Hi, I'm having issues with sizing the bubbles in my bubble chart. I want them to be uniform, but when I enter the size number for the first one, it changes the size for all other bubbles within the chart. So either there is one HUGE bubble and several small ones on the chart, or there are several huge bubbles and one small one. I've tried starting from scratch, using other numbers for the size; nothing is working. You want the bubbles to be uniform? As in, all the same size? Then use the same value in the bubble size column for all of the points. They will all be the same size...

Ridiculously slow Excel performance
Excel is running ridiculously slowly on my 1.67Ghz 17" PB. Typical times (these are not exaggerations). App launch: 4 minutes Open file: 8 minutes Copy a cell into the clipboard with Cmd-C: 2.5 minutes Type a single character into a cell: 2.5 minutes Seriously: I type ONE LETTER into an excel cell, I get the spinning beach ball for at least two minutes. Then the letter appears, and I can repeat the process. I am about to reinstall office, but here is why I am worried: I already reinstalled office two weeks ago, for the exact same reason. It worked for two weeks...

Charts sums 2 data series
Have 2 col of data and names 2 data series. But the second series is a total of the first no. plus the second no. I want each col to be a separate line on the chart. Right click on the chart, choose Chart Type (or Change Chart Type depending on Excel version), pick the first subtype, which is just arbitrary series, not the second, which is stacked, or the third, which is stacked to 100%. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sig74462 wrote: > Have 2 col of data and names 2 data series. But the second series is a total > of the fi...

Hello, I am new to Excel. I just downloaded an Inventory Template and have a question. I was inputing data in the fields, they are Gray and then white. Everything was working fine until I came to a Gray line. After this line it appears that there are no longer defind cells. There is no gray and white rows, they are all whate now. It seems like this template is only set up to input so much data. How do I extend the template to input more data? Sorry if this is confusing. Any help would be great. Semper Fi, Robert Perry Which template is it? Post the URL. I'm sure it is just a ma...