Bubble charts #3

A colleague of mine was asking me to use a bubble chart to show the following
data for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007:

Sales Dollars
Margin Dollars
Margin as % of sales

I couldn't think of a way to display all these data on a bubble chart and
recommended a combination bar/line chart instead, with the margin % shown as
a line with its own Y2 axis.

Was I wrong and can the above data set be displayed on a bubble chart after
all?

0
KG (96)

The data can be displayed on a bubble chart. However, one of the harder
things for people to do is correlate the size of a bubble with a value. A
combination bar-line or a line on two axes chart is a better choice.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A colleague of mine was asking me to use a bubble chart to show the
>following
> data for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007:
>
> Sales Dollars
> Margin Dollars
> Margin as % of sales
>
> I couldn't think of a way to display all these data on a bubble chart and
> recommended a combination bar/line chart instead, with the margin % shown
> as
> a line with its own Y2 axis.
>
> Was I wrong and can the above data set be displayed on a bubble chart
> after
> all?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
10/25/2006 10:21:54 PM
Jon, suitability of a bubble chart aside: how can I even show 4 years of
sales $, margin $ and Margin $ on the same bubble chart?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> The data can be displayed on a bubble chart. However, one of the harder
> things for people to do is correlate the size of a bubble with a value. A
> combination bar-line or a line on two axes chart is a better choice.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A colleague of mine was asking me to use a bubble chart to show the
> >following
> > data for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007:
> >
> > Sales Dollars
> > Margin Dollars
> > Margin as % of sales
> >
> > I couldn't think of a way to display all these data on a bubble chart and
> > recommended a combination bar/line chart instead, with the margin % shown
> > as
> > a line with its own Y2 axis.
> >
> > Was I wrong and can the above data set be displayed on a bubble chart
> > after
> > all?

0
KG (96)
10/26/2006 12:08:01 AM
Actually, that's one more variable than fits, if year is across the bottom
axis. I was writing something quick before dinner got cold.

- Jon
-------

> Jon, suitability of a bubble chart aside: how can I even show 4 years of
> sales $, margin $ and Margin $ on the same bubble chart?
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> The data can be displayed on a bubble chart. However, one of the harder
>> things for people to do is correlate the size of a bubble with a value. A
>> combination bar-line or a line on two axes chart is a better choice.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A colleague of mine was asking me to use a bubble chart to show the
>> >following
>> > data for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007:
>> >
>> > Sales Dollars
>> > Margin Dollars
>> > Margin as % of sales
>> >
>> > I couldn't think of a way to display all these data on a bubble chart
>> > and
>> > recommended a combination bar/line chart instead, with the margin %
>> > shown
>> > as
>> > a line with its own Y2 axis.
>> >
>> > Was I wrong and can the above data set be displayed on a bubble chart
>> > after
>> > all?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
10/26/2006 1:47:25 AM
Thanks Jon, I just wanted to be certain that I didn't misspeak when I told my
colleague that this data set would not fit into a single bubble chart.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Actually, that's one more variable than fits, if year is across the bottom
> axis. I was writing something quick before dinner got cold.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon, suitability of a bubble chart aside: how can I even show 4 years of
> > sales $, margin $ and Margin $ on the same bubble chart?
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >
> >> The data can be displayed on a bubble chart. However, one of the harder
> >> things for people to do is correlate the size of a bubble with a value. A
> >> combination bar-line or a line on two axes chart is a better choice.
> >>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >> http://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
> >>

> >> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
KG (96)
10/26/2006 6:13:02 PM
If you were going to use a bubble would it not be

Years as series
Sales Dollars on x or y
Margin Dollars on y or x
Margin as % of sales bubble size

This assumes a single value/bubble for each year.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

It would work this way, and that might be what I was thinking, but most
times the chart only makes sense with years across X.

- Jon
-------

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> If you were going to use a bubble would it not be
>
> Years as series
> Sales Dollars on x or y
> Margin Dollars on y or x
> Margin as % of sales bubble size
>
> This assumes a single value/bubble for each year.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> KG wrote:
>> Thanks Jon, I just wanted to be certain that I didn't misspeak when I
>> told my colleague that this data set would not fit into a single bubble
>> chart.
>>
>> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>

>>>Actually, that's one more variable than fits, if year is across the
>>>bottom axis. I was writing something quick before dinner got cold.
>>>
>>>- Jon
>>>-------
>>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>>http://PeltierTech.com
>>>_______
>>>

>>>"KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
10/26/2006 8:11:47 PM
It is almost certainly not worth the effort, but you could have a bubble
representing margin inside a bubble representing sales  and use colouring to
represent the percentage. This sort of chart impresses people with your
knowledge without imparting much of it.

"KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A colleague of mine was asking me to use a bubble chart to show the
>following
> data for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007:
>
> Sales Dollars
> Margin Dollars
> Margin as % of sales
>
> I couldn't think of a way to display all these data on a bubble chart and
> recommended a combination bar/line chart instead, with the margin % shown
> as
> a line with its own Y2 axis.
>
> Was I wrong and can the above data set be displayed on a bubble chart
> after
> all?

0
nospam6568 (71)
10/28/2006 2:13:49 PM
> ... without imparting much of it.

LOL

- Jon
-------

"David F Cox" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
> It is almost certainly not worth the effort, but you could have a bubble
> representing margin inside a bubble representing sales  and use colouring
> to represent the percentage. This sort of chart impresses people with your
> knowledge without imparting much of it.
>
> "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>A colleague of mine was asking me to use a bubble chart to show the
>>following
>> data for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007:
>>
>> Sales Dollars
>> Margin Dollars
>> Margin as % of sales
>>
>> I couldn't think of a way to display all these data on a bubble chart and
>> recommended a combination bar/line chart instead, with the margin % shown
>> as
>> a line with its own Y2 axis.
>>
>> Was I wrong and can the above data set be displayed on a bubble chart
>> after
>> all?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Controlling Gap Width for BAR Chart
Hi, I have the following data for example. A = 2 B= 3 C = 4 I can create a 2 D Bar chart from this quite easily. Now If I make the data to A = 2 , 3 B= 3 , 4 C = 4 , 5 I do want to plot the data on the basis of first two values as mentioned in the first example, but I want to control the width of the Bar from the value given after comma. Please help. On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Fazi <farazahmedtoor@gmail.com> said: >I have the following data for example. >A = 2 , 3 >B= 3 , 4 >C = 4 , 5 > >I want to plot the data on the basis of firs...

COLORS #3
Is there a simple way to write an IF formula to where if it is TRUE, the results are displayed one color, and if FALSE, they are displayed another? I really don't want a macro for this, but maybe that is the only answer. If it is, can someone give me an example of a simple macro to do this? Jacob Hi Jacob, Look at conditional formatting: Format | Conditional Formatting | Formula Is .... --- Regards, Norman "jacob farino" <jfarino@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:_rcYc.2901$JT3.2498@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Is there a simple way to write an ...

Multiple charts in one big chart -- how to rotate to vertical position?
I have 3 small charts set into one larger landscape chart. I can manipulate the small charts, but if the page were oriented vertically instead of horizontally I could expand the small charts to reveal more detail. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about, or how to achieve this result? from this +------------------------------------------------------------------+ |+---------------------------+ +--------------------------------+| || | | || || | | ...

pop 3 account information changing
My incoming pop3 address appends to my account name and my pop3 address changes to localhost everytime I log on. That's usually caused by older versions of anti-virus software. What are you running? "jeff wolf" <jwolf@enlinkgeoenergy.com> wrote in message news:080801c3518a$059826a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > My incoming pop3 address appends to my account name and > my pop3 address changes to localhost everytime I log on. ...

Question about charts
If I have two lines in a line graph and they criss-cross (like a supply and demand curve), how can I find the exact values on the x and y axis where the two lines cross? Is this possible by using Excel? Let's hope you made XY chats (no Line charts) - change chart if necessary Insert Trendlines for both (better yet use SLOPE and INTERCEPT functions) So Now you know y1=m1x1+b1 and y2=m2x2+b2 At point of intersection y1=y2 and x1=x2 m2x+b2 = m1x+b1 x= (b1-b2)/(m2-m1) y = m1x + b Its all rather simple algebra. Bernard (you can call me Prof <grin>) www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme &quo...

If Function #3
How Do I Insert A Function That Puts O.d In A Cell Below Another Cel Containing A Balance. I Want O.d To Appear When The Balance Shows Re For A Negative Number -- geoman ----------------------------------------------------------------------- geomanc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1513 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26769 =IF(cellref<0,"O.d","") Where cellref is the Balance cell. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:57:35 -0500, geomanc <geomanc.1dtkdz@excelforum-nospam.co...

Charting
I am trying to figure out a way to add an additional Y-Axis line to a chart. Current chart is a standard bar chart with about 10 rows of data (cost breakdown). I want to add a cost per square foot, but when I try to add it to the Y-Axis by creating a custom bar line chart, it wants to add other lines of data to that axis. In addition, I can't get rid of the cost per square foot in the data table. It is not a per project total like the bars in the graph, but a cumulative cost per foot for all bars in the graph. In addition, I want to show the totals of all the data per project wit...

How to label bubbles in bubble chart
I'm trying to graph multiple rows, each of which has 3 data values. I want to graph a bubble chart whose X-axis, Y-axis, and bubble size represent these 3 data values. But I also want the bubbles to be different colors so I can distinguish them by row. Finally, I'd like to label the colors with row names in the legend. Is this possible? Kathy wrote: > I'm trying to graph multiple rows, each of which has 3 > data values. I want to graph a bubble chart whose X-axis, > Y-axis, and bubble size represent these 3 data values. > But I also want the bubbles to be dif...

Dynamic chart #9
is it possiable to make a chart like this, I got the dates in the first row, that is B01:NC01 the data is in B25:NC01, this row has a forumla in it, which gets updated each day, what I want is a dynamic chart that, will only show the current month, so when the first comes around the chart will again be blank, I know that the number of days in the month will change with each month. Is there any way to create a chart like this, I know how to use, the name range. Thanks ...

how do you add names on a bubble chart?
hi does anyone know how to add names on a bubble chart? In article <D3AD4FAC-A0D3-4C77-AF73-72313357E6CF@microsoft.com>, Ravi@discussions.microsoft.com says... > hi does anyone know how to add names on a bubble chart? > What do you mean by "names?" Series names? Chart or axis title? Data labels? Custom text? Something else? -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions I bet he wants custom data labels. Here are two great (and free!) utilities for labeling Excel charts: Rob Bo...

Freezing Panes #3
Hi All I have a question about freezing panes. I know that you can freeze panes at one point in your spreadsheet (Say the first 5 rows) whereby you can scroll down as much as you want and the top 5 rows stay constant on your spread sheet. What I am looking to do is to freeze to points on a spreadsheet so that you can scroll only through a defined area. For example: Rows 1 through 5 are frozen Rows 200 through 205 are frozen So you can only scroll in between rows 6 and 199. That was my column headers and my totals for the information that I am entering are always visible on the screen an...

Opening attachments #3
I am unable to open attachments in Outlook Express 6. I think this has occured because of updates. I receive the response "Invalid syntax error". The page cannot be displayed....Please try the following: Open the res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/syntax.htm#mhtml:file:/ / home page, and then look for links to the info. u want. This doesn't help. In Outlook Express 6.00 I allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. ...

Excel 2007 Chart in VB6 Program
I have another thread in the VB group and was told to post to these two groups so sorryfor the multi-post. Ill post there again just in case folks want to follow the thread. So I've had a Visual Basic 6 app (as an EXE) that has worked great for the last 9 years or so. Up until Excel 2003 I have had to make minimial changes for it to work properly. The app has an OLE control which acts as a container for many different external sources .In this control I embed an Excel workbook and display a chart sheet. I can interact with the workbook through the normal means of Excel programming objects...

Provide the ability to add a horizontal line to a chart in Excel
At times an event happends for which a horizontal line is a good visual indicative of the expected change in a timeline chart. Hi, Try this sites for some examples of adding lines to charts http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Avi wrote: > At times an event happends for which a horizontal line is a good visual > indicative of the expected change in a timeline chart. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Index/match help #3
Hi all, going by the example for looking up in a range that isn' sorted in excel help, I get the following examle =INDEX(A2:B5,MATCH("Pears",A2:A5,0),2) It's says that the match statement returns the row id. Is it possibl to replace the column id in the above example so that I can use a matc statement to return a column id as well. I have a table that has severa possible values in different columns. Cheers Sha -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Chart in Excel
Is it possible to convert a Chart in Excel so that it is "fixed", ie. still looks the same, but is no longer connected to the source data ? I know that I could save it as a jpg, and then insert it as a picture, but is there a way to do it more directly. Thanks, Rob I have a note in my notes after drawings chart in conventional way 1.click the chart 2.highlight the formula in the fomrula bar 3.hit F9 4.hit enter now the chart is based on actual data and not cells. try a few small experiments. "OM" <OM@youknowwhere.com> wrote in message news:44f57d15$0$11970...

afxmessagebox #3
How can I insert the x value into the AfxMessagebox statment below ? in x = 1234; AfxMessageBox("Variable x = "); define a cstring variable and format it with your message, then just use the variable in the call. "John Nash online.no>" <laasunde@<remove> wrote in message news:40311f34$1@news.broadpark.no... > How can I insert the x value into the AfxMessagebox statment below ? > > in x = 1234; > AfxMessageBox("Variable x = "); > > Do something like: CString str; int x = 1234; str.Format("Variable x = %d", x); AfxM...

won't remember password #3
I recently changed from O.E. to Outlook 2002 (10.3513.3501) SP-1. It's still inconsistent regarding be able to send emails (which is why I abandonded O.E.) Sometimes, but not always, hitting send/receive results in the logon window, with the remember password box unchecked. Sometimes when I recheck it, it works; other times the window just keeps popping back up repeatedly. ...

change bubble order in a bubble chart
I have inherited a company bubble chart that compares the outcome of a calculation with 3 variables with an ideal. Sometimes project value - the one that sets the size - is smaller than ideal. In this case the bubble for the project is eclipsed by the ideal. How do I modify "bubble order" to decide which is in-front and which is behind? This is accomplished by sorting the data high to low, or by sorting the series in the chart, larger values to smaller. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ &...

Work around for POP 3 email
I do not have a static IP address for my network, I am wanting to try to use something like noip.com for a work around with the pop 3 connector in Exchange. Will this work for CRM email or will I still be using only outlook to send email and adding a token for CRM follow up manually. ...

X-Axis Units Disappear in Stacked Area Chart (Excel 2007)
I have a stacked area chart that charts percentages over 12 months (Jan-Dec). This chart also includes a data series of 100% (as a line chart). Both series, one plotted as a stacked area, the other plotted as a line chart type are on the primary axis. The x-axis is set to display Jan-Dec. The y-axis is set to display the percentages. In the axis option I have set the unit choices to auto. When I save and close the file that contains the chart and then re-open, the x- axis only shows Jan on the x-axis. When I go back into the Axis Options dialog box, the major unit, minor unit, and base unit op...

Bubble Sizes in Bubble Chart
Hi, I'm having issues with sizing the bubbles in my bubble chart. I want them to be uniform, but when I enter the size number for the first one, it changes the size for all other bubbles within the chart. So either there is one HUGE bubble and several small ones on the chart, or there are several huge bubbles and one small one. I've tried starting from scratch, using other numbers for the size; nothing is working. You want the bubbles to be uniform? As in, all the same size? Then use the same value in the bubble size column for all of the points. They will all be the same size...

Local Data Settings in 3.0
Within the CRM 3.0 Outlook client, I've instructed my users to add a rule that syncs down all Accounts in their Territory rather than use the My Accounts default rule which is there by default. Users are complaining that they don't have a New button to create the rule? What permissions do I need to grant them in order for that to happen and where do I set those? TIA. Check the "Saved View" privilege: Security Role >> Core Records Tab >> Saved View Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Bobby" wrote: > Within the CRM 3....

Charts sums 2 data series
Have 2 col of data and names 2 data series. But the second series is a total of the first no. plus the second no. I want each col to be a separate line on the chart. Right click on the chart, choose Chart Type (or Change Chart Type depending on Excel version), pick the first subtype, which is just arbitrary series, not the second, which is stacked, or the third, which is stacked to 100%. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sig74462 wrote: > Have 2 col of data and names 2 data series. But the second series is a total > of the fi...

Attachments #3
Hello, I use Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2000 as my client. I am trying to receive .rtf attachments but they always appera blank with the size 78b. Do I need to change security settings on the exchange box to accept attachments of this kind? All other attachments work fine! Thanks. ...