Boxplot and Whisker chart in Excel

I need to know how to create boxplot and whisker chart in
Excel, and boxplot and whisker chart in Pivot table,
anyone know where can I get these informations?
0
anonymous (74718)

Anna

Try chart guru Jon Peltier's site.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhiskerH.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:39:15 -0700, "Anna"

>I need to know how to create boxplot and whisker chart in
>Excel, and boxplot and whisker chart in Pivot table,
>anyone know where can I get these informations?

0
Gord

Separations in a Line Chart
I need to create a line chart with sales ($) on the vertical axis and months by salesperson on the horizontal axis. The question I have is whether or not you can get the line to break in between each salesperson. Thanks in advance for your time on this issue. On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, GDCross <GDCross@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I need to create a line chart with sales ($) on the vertical axis and months >by salesperson on the horizontal axis. The question I have is whether or not >you can get the line to break in between each salesperso...

Format Charts as Object
Excel '07 (grrr) In previous versions of Excel, I could Shift+click an embedded chart to select it as an object. I could then prevent the chart from rezisizing if I change the rows and/or column's sizes or added/deleted rows. I cannot find those options in Excel 2007 (or via the Interactive Guide). Does it still have that capability and if so, where is it? Please advise. Thanks! Hi, Select chart. Charting Tools > Format > Size > dialog launcher (small arrow bottom right corner of Size group). Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.in...

How do I hide part of a data series in a chart?
We have a chart with 2 data series - Budget & Actual. We want to show all 12 months of the budget, but only the year-to-date months of the actual. The problem is the data cells for the future actual amounts have formulas in them so the chart use the result and plots the line. We do not want to delete the data (which will require manual input each month, we just want the actual data series line to not show for the future periods. We tried using IF statements with 0, "", " " and an alpha character, but these have not worked. -- Jeff Hi Jeff: You can set up yo...

Automatically updating charts
I use spreadsheets to track monitoring data over time for sampling sites. The left part of the sheet is used for the parameter name + min, max, and avg. I have a dummy column (filled w/ asterisks) to separate the calcs from the data. My formulas include the ast column in order to anchor the range as I insert columns of new data. I am trying to graph the data and am wondering if I can use the ast column as an anchor. It shows up as a zero value. Is there any way to make the chart ignore that point? ...

Pie Chart Not Charting Properly
I have the following data that I want to chart in a pie chart. The following are mutiple choice answers to questions on a survey. The left column are dollar amounts and the cells are formatted (currency) The right column are the number of people who chose that answer. $125 6 $150 3 $250 49 $275 5 $300 2 $500 59 When I chart these in a pie chart, I get the following pieces to the pie. 1 8% 2 9% 3 16% 4 17% 5 19% 6 31% It just numbers the pieces and gives me the wrong percentages. Does anyone know what could be happening? Can I use a pie chart for currency or shoul...

Conditional formating in Charts
Does Excel allow you to use conditional formatting in charts? I have a bar chart that I am locking the y-axis at specific values. I would like to change the color of any bars that are graphing outside the locked y-axis. Thanks Jon Peltier has instructions for conditional charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart B wrote: > Does Excel allow you to use conditional formatting in charts? > I have a bar chart that I am locking the y-axis at specific values. I would > like to change the color of any bars that are graphing outside the locked > y-a...

Excel 2003, Opening a file
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark I suggest putting a shortcut to the file(s) or to the buried folder that your file(s) are in. The shortcut could be on your desktop or in some folder close to the "surface". To create the shortcut or your desktop you can navigate to the desired folder (using My Computer), right click and drag the folder to your desktop. When you release respond that you want to create a shortcut (rather than moving or copying...

On an import to excel a two digit date still is not right after c.
On my companies host system we store dates with only two digit years and we use pivot dates to interpret correctly. When I create an extract of these dates and import into excel they are not interpreted as the correct century. I have already changed the regional settings to accomodate this and when I just key a date into excel cell such as 12/1/30 it comes back correctly as 12/1/2030. However, the same date in my import will come out as 12/1/1930. I think it has something to do with the import but I am not sure what. Thanks for any suggestions. -- PCastle "Phillip" <Phil...

how can i add a secondary y-axis to a bar chart (not a line chart)
I can't seem to get two data series to plot on two different y-axis when using vertical bar chart format. If I get the Y-axis to display I only get one series of data displayed, although the scales of the y-axis are correct for each data series. The second data series seems to be under the first when displayed this way, but playing with the option tab settings under format doesn't bring them out on their own! Edbianc, Try clicking once on one of the bar series. Then, right-click on your mouse. In the menu go to Selected Object. In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to th...

Excel
Hi ~ I have an Excel 2000 data file that is corrupt and I can't open it with the usual steps (e.g. excel viewer, web file save, linking, etc.) Now, when I try demo versions of some advertised file recovery utilities, they seem to work, but since it's only a demo download, I can't get more than a few lines of the spreadsheet. Retail costs vary for the utilities, around $200-300+. I find it incredible that MICROSOFT does not have a similar FREE utility that can be used to recover data files, but that several 3rd party companies are more than ready to cash in on these situat...

how do I make a "box and whiskers" chart
I am trying to make a "box and whiskers" chart for my school project. How do I do that? Jon Peltier has instructions for box and whisker charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#BoxWhisker boopala wrote: > I am trying to make a "box and whiskers" chart for my school project. > > How do I do that? -- Debra Dalgleish Contextures http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Gaps in Excel Borders
Sometimes there are gaps in the of a border around cells when I use a one of the finer Excel color borders. There are no hidden cells in the workbook, and the gap goes away if I use a wider border, only to return both on display and print when I switch back to a finer border. The cell I am working with today is a merged cell of three cells, and the gap is where the upper-right corner of the middle cell would be. The workbook was created in Excel 97, and I have had this type of problem in both Excel 97 and 2000. Also, the problem occurs on this workbook on different PCs. Any idea...

Want to place picture in top left corner of chart
I am attempting to add an annotation to a chart using the copypicture functionality. My problem is in precisely positioning the top-left corner of the picture at the top-left corner of the plotarea. The plotarea.insideleft property seems to return the offset of the left side side of the y-axis. In Excel 2003 SP2, the chart.axes(xlValue,xlPrimary).width property returns 0, so I can't work out how to offset the picture precisely. Has anyone done this? Thanks in advance.. Please ignore previous post - I was adding my picture object to the cell, not to the chart object! "Pete...

Axes on chart in UserForm
I'm trying, with limited success, to put labels on the charts on both the X and Y Axes I have in a UserForm, and to make the option buttons do the right thing. Everything I've tried to put the labels in has errored out. Also, My boss would like to be able to see either the 2008 product chart or the 2009 chart or both. I put option buttons, and they work, except when you switch from one to the other it doesn't clear the other one, just adds to it, meaning there is now one of each. If you click back on the first one you get three, then four, and so on (I haven't even tried to mak...

Excel 2007 corrupting older excel files
I recently upgraded a pc in the office to vista and office 2007, now when we access an excel file it opens it fine the first time but when you exit the file it asks about saving the changes even if we didn't do any changes and if you answer yes then the next time you access that file you get an error "unable to read file" and if you let it repair the file it is screwed up completely. If you answer no to the save then everything is fine. I haven't been able to find out what is going on has anyone seen this before?? If I save the file in the new format everything seems fine ...

default colors in Histogram chart
Is there a way in excel 2003 to change the default colors of the histogram charts. I tend to do a lot of these charts and my corporate color scheme is of course different from what comes up. Or is there a way to copy a charsts color style. TIA KK Hi, 1. Make a histogram chart with the desired formatting 2. With the chart selected choose Chart, Chart Type, Custom Types tab, User Defined, Add... Next time you create a chart go to the Custom Types tab, pick User Defined and then pick your custom chart. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

Help with zero values on spreadsheet and no zeros on line chart
Ok, I have looked around on the web for a explanation on how to do this but I never good find anything that came close to what I am looking for. I'll try to explain this as best I can. Lets say I have a bunch of numbers with zeros in my spreadsheet. The numbers are in columns c2,d2,e2 to c706,d706,e706 rows.(see example) a b c d e 1 test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 2 a b 0 3 b c 200 4 c d 0 etc...

Pie Charts and Grids
I would like to know if there is any way of inserting a grid onto a pie chart. If using excel VBA is the only way, that's fine. I just need some examples. Thanks How did you envision this grid? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Naresh M wrote: > I would like to know if there is any way of inserting a > grid onto a pie chart. If using excel VBA is the only way, > that's fine. I just need some examples. > > Thanks ...

How to hide a chart title, but keep the title in the chart
Using Excel 2003, I am creating charts and linking them to a word document. I'd like to give each chart a title in Excel, then in Word, bring down the top border to "cover" or exclude the title so it doesn't show in the Word document. That way, later I can reopen the top border to remember the title I gave it and where it came from in my Excel spreadsheet. Right now each time I try to mouse-drag the top border, the chart size and shape change, but all the info remains and just gets squished down. I want the chart to remain "stable" so I can cover over the ...

Chart problem in template
Hi, I have a template that has a chart in it. The chart has 4 data series, a left y axis and a right y axis. I am trying to set the 3rd series to plot against the left y axis however it will only plot against the right axis. WHen the report is ran based on the template, I can see the series in the Chart toolboar and can change the series axis in there. However, I need the template to default to the left axis for that series. Only 2 out of the 4 series are showing in the Chart toolbar object list when viewing it in the template. I have tried to get at this through code however, the series 3 ...

Clustered Bar Chart
Hi, I am trying to create this chart with dates on x axis and clustered ba chart on y axis showing availability of equipment(Rented,Quoted,Available). I tried to write the following macro for the above requirement but cant get x axis to show the dates and the bar chart on y axis does not show different colours fo different status of equipment. The data is as follows A1:28882 C1:Status A2:09/09/2005 C2:Rented A3:09/16/2005 C3:Quoted The macro is as follows ----------------- Sub MakeRental() Dim i As Integer Worksheets("Rental").Select Worksheets("...

mapping cells within same excel sheet
hi all, My problem is..I am trying to load a oracle view in the sheet b running a database query thru ODBC connection. The data i am getting is multiple rows .(as is in tables)I want all th rows to appear in a single row in Excel.Because everytime I run th view from backend a new row needs to be added in tyhe excel. Please help thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

excell #2
hello my dearest developers, I encounterd the following problem... Supposing that i a row full of data inevery cell Microsoft excell and all rows are full. I'd like now to "transpose" the row into column while inserting the data without overwriting the existing data. I'm waiting for ur precious help. One way .. Assuming source data is Sheet1, with entire rows filled from row1 to a max of row256 (btw 256 rows deep is the max possible for transposing to columns as there's only 256 columns per sheet!) In a new Sheet2 Put in A1: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,COLUMN()-1,ROW()-1) C...

Unlink chart from sheet
How can I replace ranges in a chart's SERIES formula with their current values? I know how to do this in Excel, but how would I do this in VBA? Thanks If you know how to do it in Excel, have you tried recording a macro to see what the VBA would look like to do the same thing? That would be my first step. HTH, Eric "Gerry Verschuuren" wrote: > How can I replace ranges in a chart's SERIES formula with their current > values? I know how to do this in Excel, but how would I do this in VBA? Thanks You can store your chart data as arrays in the rele...

Stacked bar chart
Could anybody tell me if it is possible to create a stacked bar chart with two Y - axis. In the custom chart option there doesn't seem to be this option. Regards John Hi John - Andy Pope has an example of stacked bars on two axes: http://andypope.info/charts/stackedwidth.htm Andy uses the multiple axis approach to allow the two stacks to have different widths, but you can keep them the same if you want. The same technique works if you want stacked columns on two axes. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ jho...