bell-shape normal distribution curve

I know a rough bell-shaped curve can be drawn in Excel using random numbers.
Can normal distribution curves showing an area under the curve, i.e z-test or
t-test area, be drawn in Excel? If yes, how?

Thanks
0
SM1 (14)

If you know what you want for your X and Y coordinates, you can use this
tutorial

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html

"SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know a rough bell-shaped curve can be drawn in Excel using random
>numbers.
> Can normal distribution curves showing an area under the curve, i.e z-test
> or
> t-test area, be drawn in Excel? If yes, how?
>
> Thanks

0
reply6075 (299)
12/11/2004 1:01:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I need to have 2 values ONLY shown on the x-axis, the value of the mean and
the z-value (or equivalent). Is this possible?

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

> If you know what you want for your X and Y coordinates, you can use this
> tutorial
>
> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html
>
> "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I know a rough bell-shaped curve can be drawn in Excel using random
> >numbers.
> > Can normal distribution curves showing an area under the curve, i.e z-test
> > or
> > t-test area, be drawn in Excel? If yes, how?
> >
> > Thanks

0
SM1 (14)
12/11/2004 2:05:06 AM
I've never tried that, but I'm sure it's possible.   Let's assume your
primary X axis values are Z scores from say -6 to +6 and you want to include
the Mean.

You'll need another series of data with

X   Y    Label (Mean)
-6    0      Mean for Z=-6
-5    0      Mean for Z=-5
and so on.

Plot the X and Y axis labels on the chart.    These will eventually be made
invisible so don't worry about the color.

You can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to put a secondary label on those
points.  It's found at www.appspro.com

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html

May help you as well.

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I need to have 2 values ONLY shown on the x-axis, the value of the mean
> and
> the z-value (or equivalent). Is this possible?
>
> "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
>
>> If you know what you want for your X and Y coordinates, you can use this
>> tutorial
>>
>> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html
>>
>> "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I know a rough bell-shaped curve can be drawn in Excel using random
>> >numbers.
>> > Can normal distribution curves showing an area under the curve, i.e
>> > z-test
>> > or
>> > t-test area, be drawn in Excel? If yes, how?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
reply6075 (299)
12/11/2004 12:31:53 PM
You could also contatenate the Mean and Z value and use the chart labeler to
add those at the appropriate location.

"SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I need to have 2 values ONLY shown on the x-axis, the value of the mean
> and
> the z-value (or equivalent). Is this possible?
>
> "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
>
>> If you know what you want for your X and Y coordinates, you can use this
>> tutorial
>>
>> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html
>>
>> "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I know a rough bell-shaped curve can be drawn in Excel using random
>> >numbers.
>> > Can normal distribution curves showing an area under the curve, i.e
>> > z-test
>> > or
>> > t-test area, be drawn in Excel? If yes, how?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
reply6075 (299)
12/11/2004 12:45:24 PM
there is a java programme
check this url

http://www.math.csusb.edu/faculty/stanton/m262/normal_distribution/normal_di
stribution.html

here as you can see the assumption is mean is 0 and sd 1.0 (what the
statisticians called normalised variables)

now you write your own mean and standard deviation
and then if you want the probability between two values you enter x1 and x2
and click caluculate you  gtet the area under and that is probility of
values between those two values.

I tried with mean as 95 and standardeviation as 12 and calculated probaility
between 85 and 100 it came to
0.45921.

try that url

Barb Reinhardt <reply@tonewsgroup.com> wrote in message
> I've never tried that, but I'm sure it's possible.   Let's assume your
> primary X axis values are Z scores from say -6 to +6 and you want to
include
> the Mean.
>
> You'll need another series of data with
>
> X   Y    Label (Mean)
> -6    0      Mean for Z=-6
> -5    0      Mean for Z=-5
> and so on.
>
> Plot the X and Y axis labels on the chart.    These will eventually be
made
> invisible so don't worry about the color.
>
> You can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to put a secondary label on those
> points.  It's found at www.appspro.com
>
> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html
>
> May help you as well.
>

> "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > I need to have 2 values ONLY shown on the x-axis, the value of the mean
> > and
> > the z-value (or equivalent). Is this possible?
> >
> > "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
> >
> >> If you know what you want for your X and Y coordinates, you can use
this
> >> tutorial
> >>
> >> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html
> >>
> >> "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Many thanks for all the suggestions.  will try them.

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

> You could also contatenate the Mean and Z value and use the chart labeler to
> add those at the appropriate location.
>
> "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > I need to have 2 values ONLY shown on the x-axis, the value of the mean
> > and
> > the z-value (or equivalent). Is this possible?
> >
> > "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
> >
> >> If you know what you want for your X and Y coordinates, you can use this
> >> tutorial
> >>
> >> http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart.html
> >>
> >> "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
SM1 (14)

Way to recreate the distribution list in Exchange 2k?
I noticed on one server that the Distribution List is missing, it was deleted at one time. I don't know how to create a new one. Is there a simple way to do it in Small Business Server 2000? Thanks in Advance, John Don't know about SBS per se, but you can create a new group in Active Directory Users & Computers & set it as a distribution group -then add the members. John wrote: > I noticed on one server that the Distribution List is missing, it was > deleted at one time. I don't know how to create a new one. Is there a > simple way to do it in Small Business S...

More Shapes
I am using VISIO 2003 and would like to find more 3-D style shapes to drawing conceptual diagrams for business documenetation. Most of the Stencils and libraries I find are for network components. Does anyone know of a good Shape libarary with all types of cool 3-D shapes for stuff other than networking? Within the product, all the new 3-D style shapes are in the networking content. However, you might be able to use some of those shapes for business. If you look at the server shapes, there are little symbols with them that indicate the role of the server. You might ungroup the ser...

Bell Curve
Is there a formula that will calculate a bell curve? NORMDIST with the cumulative parameter set to FALSE will calculate points on the bell curve. See http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm for details. Jerry "Todd Nelson" wrote: > Is there a formula that will calculate a bell curve? ...

In Word my page keeps going small how do I get it back to normal?
I dont know what I am doing but my page will shrink to where I can not see the words anymore. I have done it before and I got it back to normal but I do not know how. I can not figure it out this time. Opening a new document does not work it is still small. If I open a previously saved document it is still in the correct format. I am in print layout. Please Help!! I have papers to write. Thank you so much!! If this is Word 2007, use the zoom slider on the right of the Status bar at the bottom of the screen. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wis...

Editing many shapes at once
1. I have a lot of shapes. I want to strech them all - but if I select all and stretch one - only that one stretches. How do I stretch all the shapes at once? 2. I have a P&ID chart with pipes and instruments. When I move some components, all the points where the instruments attach to the pipe moves as well. Is there a way to only move the component and not all the instrument's connection points? Hi John, 1) In Visio 2002 and previous releases, you need to Group the selection (Shape > Operations > Group), resize the group and then Ungroup the selection (Shape > Operation...

How to start OneNote with normal view (not full screen)
Is there any way to start OneNote with WIN+N and not have it in full screen mode? If not, is there a way to change the F11 shortcut key to something else? If I could start with WIN+N and then switch out of full screen with a similar control sequence it would be a lot easier for me than using F11. Thanks. If you go to the top right hand corner, you can toggle the full screen to a "side note." Press the middle double square. This creates the small side note. If you then want it to fill up your full screen, press the middle square in the same area again. When it is in si...

distribution lists #29
Is it possible to choose a distribution list and send to all but at the same time make it look as they are individual recipients or do I just have to pick one by one and send separately? -- kinsey No. What you are describing requires a mail merge to electronic mail. You can do a mail merge to your Contacts, but not a DL. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "kinsey" <kinsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B56A9A84-5D42-4C2C-8107-7B1D2EE71229@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to choose a distribution list and send to all but at the > same > time ma...

Limit to # of shapes in "My Shapes" folder?
I got a new computer from my corporation with Visio 2003 installed. I copied the VNE folder from my old computer to new computer into the "My Shapes" folder and all of the stencils do NOT appear in the pick list. Is there an upper limit on the # of files that can be in the "My Shapes" folder? (The VNE directory from my old computer had approx 1100 stencils). Also opening the "My Shapes" dialog box is REALLY slow -- anyone know how to fix that as well? Thanks in advance. I'm not sure if there is a hard limit or just a performance limit on the number of...

Calculation of Area Under a Continuos curve......
Hi, I am working on calculating area under a Continuous Curve.. I have data points...On X axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable X) and on Y axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable Y). If i plot a curve by joinig thses points i get a smooth curve. If i have to calculate the exact area under the curve using Integration Function in Excel Sheet how should i proceed. Data points are : Issuers Defaulters Cum Issuers % Cum Defaulters % C 3 0 0.287907869 0 B 4 2 0.671785029 7.407407407 BB 35 5 4.030710173 25.92592593 BBB 242 15 27.25527831 81.48148148 A 293 4 55.37428023 96.2962963 AA...

looking for a template of bell curve graph
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "darrich" <darrich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4465F7C1-22CB-4D4D-8344-6C5C0B33AC72@microsoft.com... > I have the percentages for a bell curve; I just want to plug in the percentages with a professional-looking bell curve model. I am a graduate student assisting a professor with his Power Point lectures and I am having a difficult time making a bell curve that would look professional. darric wrote: looking for a template of bell curv...

Hyperlink to a Visio Shape
Does anyone know how to link from a cell in Excel to a specific shape in MS Visio? I can't test it, but the following message from a Microsoft employee has instructions for hyperlinking: http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=exhuYGWUDHA.2460%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl '================================================================== The hyperlink can include page, shape, and zoom percent. Ex: http: //MyServer/MyDrawing.vsd#Page-2/Sheet.1?zoom=100 Visio will display the page, center the shape, and zoom to the given percent (but will not select the shape). '=============...

RFID in distribution applications
Is anyone aware of or familar with a current implementation of RFID in a warehouse/distribution organization operating GP? Preferably someone handling medical supplies but not controlled medical supplies. RFID is still a "developing technology" meaning that it is relatively new and the implementation footprint is changing. However.... Contact Robert Waugh at Maximum Data (734) 455-2200 and tell him I said call. He can help you. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at...

Software Distribution Service 3.0
Just curious to know if anyone else had issues w/ the MS updates that were pushed down on 4/14/10. Issues I experienced - wireless/keyboard mouse (DELL) stopped working, pc froze upon bootup and in IE it kept throwing my home page into 'offline' mode. Updates that came down for the pc is in question are - KB979309 KB977816 KB979683 kB978601 kB978338 KB980232 KB981349 Thanks!! happycamper105 wrote: > Just curious to know if anyone else had issues w/ the MS updates that were > pushed down on 4/14/10. Nope, none in Windows 7, Vista SP2, nor XP Media...

Cannot change shape text
I have Visio 2000. I am using UML "use case" shape. I create several diagram in several shapes. No layers, no groups. Now to create shapes on a new page, I selected shapes on another page, cut and paste on the other. I was working on the new page, when suddently I cannot change the text inside my UC ? I double click on the shape, nothing happens. I didn`t knew there where a "behavior" option for the shape, was set on default, and then I changed it to edit text. Then it complains that the shape or layer protection prevent editing the text. There is no layer, and I remove al...

Bell Curve Chart
I have 2 columns of data - see below. My boss wants me to create a bell curve chart, but if I use the chart wizard and select "Line" from the Standard Types tab then my chart has steep angles. I reviewed Article 213930 "How To Create A Bell Curve Chart" - 4 pages of complicated how to's and got hung up on the first page. Can anyone provide me with some easy to follow instructions? A-1 11 A-2 16 A-3 23 B-1 60 B-2 32 B-3 18 C-1 9 C-2 4 C-3 2 Try using an XY chart with smoothed lines. As for creating a Bell Curve Chart - those are the simples...

exporting outlook express emails to Outlook normal
Is it possible? How so? Help. Yes, presuming you have Outlook installed & already configured....in OE, file | export. Messages & address book, individually. George wrote: > Is it possible? How so? Help. On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:21:56 -0700, "George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible? How so? Help. In Outlook Express, open the File menu and choose Export. -- <<<SgtRich>>> Email Client: Microsoft Outlook 2003 News Client (Text): Fort� Agent 2.0 www.forteinc.com News Client (Binaries): News Rover 9.2 www.n...

Text Box Shapes
Hello Everyone. I was wondering if there was anyone who could shed some light on a subject of shaped text boxes. I am trying to get an L shaped box - i have tried 2 boxes together and doing the text box link feature but when it prints out there is a noticable difference in the spacing - when i tried overlapping them sending to back and sending to front - the text kept on dissappearing - does anyone know how to get and L shaped text box that is one box? any feedback or comments welcomed Thanks Heaps patchie Create a rectangle, no fill, no line. Place it so the text in your text box ...

Auto shapes and text boxes will not format (Color in)
Any help would be so greatly appreciated: I just installed MS Office Professional Plus 2007. There are some features that will not work. For instance, I can not color in any text boxes or auto shapes in MS Word and Publisher. There was a free trial which has expired. I uninstalled it. I also uninstalled MS Office Professional Plus 2007 and then reinstalled it – and those features still aren’t working. The software was activated. I even tried to activate it again...but it indicated that activation was already complete. Thank-you to anyone who has some advice for me. ...

Bell Curve Creation with more than 255 in one data series
I have a list of data that 2344 sets of data. I want to create a standard bell curve with this data. I have tried to create a smooth scatter plot but it does not depict the bell curve. Please inform me what the best method would be to do this. Thanks Kcope8302 - (1) Do you have a data set with 2,344 values? (2) Do you want "a standard bell curve" using the mean and standard deviation of your data? (3) Or, do you want a histogram (column chart of the frequency distribution of your data), which may or may not be bell-shaped? - Mike Middleton http://www.MikeMiddleton.com ...

Query-based distribution group not appearing in Address Book.
I have setup two query based distribution groups. These groups, as well as all other groups are in there own Organizational Unit called Head Office Groups. When you use the address book, the two query based groups do not appear. I have double checked that the 'Hide from Exchange Address Books' box isn't checked, even checking and unchecking, but they still will not appear. When you try and email either of the groups, you get the 'Microsoft Outlook does not recognize <Group Name>' When you click the 'Preview' button, it does display all the correc...

Make a bell curve chart
i have a spreadsheet with results of a 5k race, 950 finishers. i am trying to make a bell curve chart that shows the rate at which finishers come in; i changed the time to a decimal by using the formula "=(C2-INT(C2))*24" that helped, and i now have a valid line chart i trying to show that the majority of finishers are between 8 - 11 minutes, some before and lots after. any ideas on this? jackeen - I suggest that you consider using a histogram, i.e., a column chart of a frequency distribution. (The histogram may or may not have a bell shape, depending on your data....

normal template changes every use
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Every time I quit Word 2004 for Mac, a dialogue asks if I want to save changes to the global &quot;normal&quot; template. I have trashed the &quot;normal&quot; document in the &quot;Microsoft User Data&quot; folder in my documents folder, and even emptied the trash, restarted Word, but the problem persists. I know there was an article or blurb about this in MacWorld recently, but I can't relocate it. How do I fix this? PS I have the most recent updates for this product. There are...

Height of shape
m adding a number of shapes to a chart sheet using the using the the Shape.Height property for relative positioning. The code I use work well with Excel 2003 but fail utterly in Excel 2007 - always returning zero for height. The shapes then appear on top of each other giving a rather cluttered appearance. Any aid to why the height property returns zero in Excel 2007 would be greatly appreciated. Code snippet: nextTop = 5 left = 5 For i = LBound(projectInfo, 2) To UBound(projectInfo, 2) nextTop = nextTop + sh.height + 5 Set sh = chForStore.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrien...

Bells and Whitle Software
Does anyone know of a software that is similar to Bells and Whistle for Outlook? I am really just concerned with being able to reply and have the same signature show up as when I compose a new message. Any similar software or a freeware? Techie wrote: > Does anyone know of a software that is similar to Bells and Whistle for > Outlook? I am really just concerned with being able to reply and have > the same signature show up as when I compose a new message. > > Any similar software or a freeware? Don't have twenty bucks to spend on what appears to be worth it? ...

Linking from shape to shapes in Visio
I can link from shape to shape in Visio and these work fine but when I 'save as Web Page' these links don't work. Any ideas!!!!!!!! On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:24:05 -0700, Dave R <Dave R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can link from shape to shape in Visio and these work fine but when I 'save >as Web Page' these links don't work. Any ideas!!!!!!!! Web pages don't have that degree of granularity for destinations, there is just the page destination or the name destination, there is no mechanism to link to a part of an image. -- Regards, Paul Herb...