Bart chart with lines showing % change between elements

I have 5 sets of data, each with a before and after amount that has been
charted using a simple bar chart. Is it possible to have excel, using a line
from the before element to the after element, show the % change between the
two?

I can easily calculate the percent change between the two, but if I graph it
and set it to a line, the only way it can be seen is if I chart it on an
alternate axis. Further, I just want a line from the top of the before
element to the top of the after element, and a label showing the % change.

Confused? Hope not :)
Thanks for any help!
0
Tom7430 (437)

I might be tempted to do this as a waterfall chart instead of a line
chart. A floating column shows the amount of difference between before
and after.  You can put custom labels into the floating columns to show
percentages.

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Tom wrote:

> I have 5 sets of data, each with a before and after amount that has been
> charted using a simple bar chart. Is it possible to have excel, using a line
> from the before element to the after element, show the % change between the
> two?
>
> I can easily calculate the percent change between the two, but if I graph it
> and set it to a line, the only way it can be seen is if I chart it on an
> alternate axis. Further, I just want a line from the top of the before
> element to the top of the after element, and a label showing the % change.
>
> Confused? Hope not :)
> Thanks for any help!

Show additonal fields in Global Address List
Hi, When I use the Global Address List in Outlook 2002, I get all the predefined fields (Name, Business Phone etc.). Is it possible to modify this view, like adding the 'Notes' field, which now only shows up as you 1st go to the properties of the Distribution List? Thanks in advance, Chiel Varkevisser Netherlands. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272198 "Chiel Varkevisser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1299f01c4431f$020ba020$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > When I use the Global Address List in Outlook 2002, I get > all...

Change from MS Outlook Rich Text to HTML
I use Outlook 98 and I want to change my message format to HTML so that I can have nice backgrounds etc on my mail. For some reason this facility doesn't seem to be available to me on the 'Mail Format' Tab. It is blacked out and I cannot change it from Rich Text to HTML. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Could it be because I am on a network at work and they have disabled it? If so, how can I enable it? Cheers! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www...

OL 2007 save as .txt adds line breaks
Good day, we receive reports from our database system in landscape plain text format which are then saved to disk and further processed with systems such as MS Excel or Access. Problem is, that since Outlook 2007 these e-mails get re-formatted by Outlook (adding line breaks according to the display on the screen) causing all Excel / Access routines to break. In Outlook 2003 this did not happen. Is there a way to prevent this and save the .txt e-mail as it comes from the server? Thanks n brgds Philipp Post Do these messages show an Infobar with the info that Outlook remov...

How do I create a pie of pie chart?
I have the following data: a 66% b 33% and b1 42% b2 35% b3 8% b4 15% how do I get a pie showing 66% and 33% and a sub pie connected to the 33% showing the other 4 amounts? The chart wizard is driving me round the bend! It keeps adding a 7th slice called "series 1 point other" aaaargh!!! Help! With the following data in cells A1:B5 -- A B 1 a 66% 2 b1 42% 3 b2 35% 4 b3 8% 5 b4 15% Enter the following in cells D1:E5 -- a =B1 b1 =(1-$B$1)*B2 b2 =(1-$B$1)*B3 b3 =(1-$B$1)*B4 b4 =(1-$B$1)*B5 Select a cell in the range D1:E5, and use the Chart W...

Open Dialog has changed
Hello When I click open the file listing has changed... For instance If I sort by filename the files are sorted but there is a line that says "A" then all the A files, a "B" then all the B Files etc. This is happening in all office applications but not in windows explorer. Has anyone seen this before and how to I retore it? Operating System has a lot to do with what Views are available, but if you select View in the dialog box you should have your choice there. Thanks wrote: > Hello > When I click open the file listing has changed... > For ins...

Ambitious Gantt chart
Hiya, I am creating a Gantt chart in Excel to show the tasks in an aircraft turnaround: The timeline is from 18:00 when the aircraft stops at the terminal gate to 20:30 when the plane pushes back from the gate (and heads to the runway). All of the tasks in the Gantt chart are the various processes involved on the turnaround, for example cleaning, security check, fuelling, etc. So far this is very doable using techniques offered by Jon Peltier and many other sources. However, there are two things I'd like to add that I just can't get my head around: 1. I'd like to capture...

Updating charts in Excel
For some reason, my charts no longer seem to update when the source data itself is updated. The source data cells are actually formulas themselves, but they are updating with the new information just fine. It's very strange that the table the values are drawn from have changed and are current but the chart itself still shows old numbers. The only way I can fix it is to right click, select source data, then re-enter the source data cells. (Actually I change one cell and then change it back and it updates.) Does anyone have any idea why my workbook is no longer updating cells? By...

Multiple conditions on combo box to show different forms
I have a form with a tab subform. I have the below code in the "on current" of main form, "after update" of combobox on main form, & "on click" of the tab where the subform resides. I'm fairly new to coding. I got the working code from reading the discussion groups. How would I add an "is null" argument to this code? Is the "on click" code necessary or am I doing too much? I want the subform to be blank if the combo box is empty/null (the combo box does have a default value). Select Case Me.Type Case "...

How to change internet explorer from opening up in microsoft word
Everytime I try to connect to the internet or open anything it opens up in microsoft word. How can I correct this so that it opens up correctly What do you mean by 'internet explorer opens in Word'? Internet Explorer and Word are both applications. Do you perhaps mean that if you try and open a saved web page by clicking its filename that Word opens instead of IE? In that case you need to re-associate the default actions for HTML files to IE from Word. Right click the offending filename - select "Open with ..." and pick Internet Explorer or whatever and check th...

Scatter chart displays as line chart
I'm trying to connect point on a (background graphic) circle with lines (using Excel 2000). I have generated the X-cordinates for all ends of lines in one column and, in each of the following columns, I have the Y-cordinates for one line, two values next to each other; in the same rows as their X-coordinates. All other cells are empty. This works in smaller scale but when I have 250 lines, the X-values are replaced with rising numbers, i.e. I get a line graphic. Is there any way to make the scatter graphic work in large scale figures? Thanks Hi, Have you used the xy-scatter type ...

Autoupdate Charts
Good Evening All, I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me out of a niggling problem I have searched Google, but found no solution to my niggle. I have created a Auto Updated LINE Chart, using named ranges utilizing the OFFSET function, to look at a selected set of data, - eg below: A B Month Value 01 100 02 150 03 200 04 150 05 250 etc,etc... This works fine, as the chart updates as dates/values are added/changed/deleted. However, the snag ...

command line error MIDL1004 : cannot execute C preprocessor cl.exe
Hello, I have been working on VS2005 VC++ projects for a few weeks. Now I got the following compiler error. There are 62 projects in the solution but only about 10 projects have this compiler error. command line error MIDL1004 : cannot execute C preprocessor cl.exe midl If I go to BuildLog.htm and follow the instruction there to run the command lines they work fine. I don't know why VS 2005 could not compile. I also tried to copy my coworks environment variables. I still got the same error for same projects. Any one see this error before? How do you make it go away?...

Need to create the character that means "with".C with a line over
Can anyone help me? I need to create the character that means "with". It is displayed as a c with a line over it. I have looked in symbols and windings and can not find the character. ...

How to draw line between to boxes
I am very new to Visio. I am trying to draw a flow chart. I have drawn the boxes and now I want to connect them by lines. There is an "Arrow" tab in left side pane for shpaes but it seams that it is something different. Where is the draw line command? -- Rasoul Khoshravan Azar Civil Engineer Osaka, Japan On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:37:01 -0800, Khoshravan <khoshravan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am very new to Visio. I am trying to draw a flow chart. I have drawn the >boxes and now I want to connect them by lines. There is an "Arrow" tab in >left s...

chart margins
How do I reduce the margins around a chart? Select the plot area, then stretch it using the little black handles on its corners and edges. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "DSF" <DSF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:851143DC-404A-4732-84CE-34CDE95FB305@microsoft.com... > How do I reduce the margins around a chart? ...

Received emails not showing in preview pane
A user sorts emails receieved in the preview pane by descending order. When there are enough emails in the preview pane that scrolling down is needed to look at emails; the inbox shows new emails, but the preview pane does not. In order to see these emails, the user has to click somewhere else on the folder list and then go back into inbox to view the email in the preview pane. Christina wrote: > A user sorts emails receieved in the preview pane by > descending order. I think you are a little confused here. The preview pane does NOT contain a list of received emails. The preview ...

How to export flow-charts from ppt to doc without losing quality?
I have created quite complex flow charts in PPT and want to use these images in Word. I have tried copying the images, converting to pdf and then adding the images and also exporting the file to word as slides and then copying the images. So far the last option has worked best, but I want to know if there is a better way? Or even an easy way to create flow charts (with connectors) in Word? You might try grouping the images as one and then save the image (not the slide) out as a jpg or a tif and then insert the jpg or tif into Word. I suspect the tif will work better. "...

can i do multiple plots on 3d chart?
I have various data sets that I want to plot on a single 3D chart to compare peak responses. Is this possible in excel? What kind of 3D chart? Can you use the corresponding 2D chart type? In general, you are better off not using any 3D charts, and especially not Excel's 3D charts, which mostly consist of 2D data with a fake third dimension. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "mrplec" <mrplec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98A0BF60-D8A6-49FD-A405-B...

Image is not showing in 16 million colors
Hi all, I am trying to load a bitmap using LoadImage ,please create a bitmap with 32*32 and save it it 256 colors. I have attach the code with this. My Display pallette setting is in 16 million colors. This is working fine in 256 color setting. 32*32 is the image width and image height. OnDrawFunction() { typedef unsigned short UINT16; UINT16 *MyDisplayBuffer = (UINT16*)GlobalAlloc (GPTR,32*32*2); m_hBitmap = (HBITMAP)LoadImage(NULL,"C:\\Bitmap1.bmp", IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0,LR_LOADFROMFILE | LR_CREATEDIBSECTION | LR_DEFAULTSIZE); CBitmap bmp; bmp.Attach(m_hBitmap); BYTE* D...

Converting multi line flat file records to XML
Similar to my earlier post I have a different flat file that has mutiple lines that make up different entitties of a single record and I need to convert this to XML. For example, line 1 is Customer billing information, line 2 is Customer shipping information, line 3 is Order information (#, date, totals etc...) and line 4...n is Order line items (item#, qty, unit price, line total). At line n+1 the second customer billing information repeats... What is the best way to convert this to XML? I came across some products/ libraries in the java world for similar stuff - XFlat from Unidex ...

How to add a Vertical Line to a Column or Line Chart with two axes already in use?
Hi All, I need to add a vertical line to a column / line chart combo where the secondary axis is already in use. I have ready through John Peltier's site (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html) and specifically the two options he has under the 'Special Effects and Features' section for adding vertical lines to a chart, but both require the use of a secondary axis which is then hidden. That is not an option for me as I am already using that secondary axis. I am currently using a line object drawn over the top of the chart object and manually positioned on the cha...

Functions in charts
Is is possible to use functions within charts (for example, if the chart title changes based on the value in a cell)? That way, if the chart data changes, the title also changes to reflect that. Any ideas? On Mar 15, 5:17 pm, "Matt" <MLThorn...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is is possible to use functions within charts (for example, if the > chart title changes based on the value in a cell)? That way, if the > chart data changes, the title also changes to reflect that. > Any ideas? Yes it is. Full instructions are at <a href="http:// office.microsoft.com/en-gb/e...

Displaying Multiple Text Lines At Runtime
I need to display various text messages in my dialog app, and they change during the application. There will be multiple lines of text in one rectangular area. In order to handle that and format it well, should I not use the edit box with an attached CStatic variable? Should I just use text out with coordinates and maybe draw a rectangular area instead of using a control? Thanks, Matt There are several ways by which you can acheive this. 1. In your Status bars, create a new panel for displaying your messages. 2. Create a control bar, which can be docked/closed, and write your messages in...

No "Chart Option" feature in the Formatting Palette or when double click on Chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have read a discussion board concerning this issue but it was from 2008 and no solution was offered yet. The problem is as follows: one creates a graph but cannot add a title or format the axis etc. <br><br>When I open a new spreadsheet and enter the data, I can create the graph. However, I cannot select the &quot;Chart Option&quot; to change any specific features. On the formatting palette I only get the "Page Setup" options but nothing relating to the chart and when I double click on the graph t...

How to plot a function, y=f(x) in excel chart.
Is it possible to combine a plot of a function, example y=f(x) together with other chart data? One example is to plot a straight line or multiple lines together with x-y or bar charts. I know I could simply generate the data and populate cells and then plot this data together with the other data, but is there a way to do it without filling cells? This topic has been covered at least three times in the past. Stephen Bullen http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=ChtFrmla.zip Tushar Mehta http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html Jan Karel Pieterse http://jkp-ad...