bar charts with time-spaced x-axis?

does anyone know who to create bar charts where data is spaced on
x-axis?  currently i have time data on x-axis and quantity on the y.
but the time data is evenly spaced rather than by the amount of time
that has passed.  in other words, i want events which occured 1 hour, 3
hours and 10 hours apart to be spaced accordingly on x-axis.  anyone
know how to do this?

Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/

-- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com
-- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions

Joan -

Excel has what they call a time-scale axis, but they should call it a
date-scale axis.  It will spread out dates proportionally to the days
elapsed, but it puts all of the time points for a given date at midnight
at the beginning of the date.

You could fake it by putting the hours in the X data range, making a
chart with a time scale X axis, and changing your X axis number format
to something like "0" (a non-date format).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

joandsp wrote:
> does anyone know who to create bar charts where data is spaced on
> x-axis?  currently i have time data on x-axis and quantity on the y.
> but the time data is evenly spaced rather than by the amount of time
> that has passed.  in other words, i want events which occured 1 hour, 3
> hours and 10 hours apart to be spaced accordingly on x-axis.  anyone
> know how to do this?

> Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/
>
> -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com
> -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions

jonpeltier (302)

Change bars color
Hello, I have a dinamic chart to show the cash flow position, a scrool bar chagne the data to the past and to the future (estimate), what I am looking for is, to have an easy identification of the estimated period I would like to chage the color of the bar. I am using an Stacked Column chart with two variables. any Ideias? -- regards from Brazil Thanks in advance for your feedback. Marcelo What I usually do when I want to show a column chart with one color within a certain range and another color elsewhere, is create two series, one each color, and use formulas to change on series ...

Chart Help Please!
Hello all, I have a very simple chart... The data looks like this: A B Data1 3.65 Data2 7.00 The data charts fine and looks good but right now the bar for Data1 and Data2 are the same color. is there a way to have the bar for data1 one color while data2 is a different color? Thank you all for you excellent help!! In 2003 Select the series and Format Data Series>Options>Vary colors by point. In 2007 Select the series and Format>Date Series>Fill>Vary colors by point. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:32:02 -080...

Can the color of the Command Bar be changed?
When you open up a window to show the contents of a folder, just below the usual Menu Bar is the Command Bar with menus like "Organize" and "Views." That Command Bar has a sickly blue-green color. Is there any way to change the color of the Command Bar? At the very least, I would like that color to be less saturated. -- Steven L. ...

Email delivery time problems urgent please
Having problems with times showing on emails. In the inbox front screen receveived time will display say 1.35pm however when we open the email in the gray header screen it will show 12.27pm. Any idea's what might cause this it is only happening on external messages sent to us. All internal emails show the correct time. The Exchange 2000 server has the correct regional settings. thanks -- Kath ...

Muliple Charts from one Pivot Table #3
Debs. Many thanks . That worked a treat. Just need to to the pivot item o the chart now. Cheers Ton -- TJonesEs ----------------------------------------------------------------------- TJonesEsq's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1532 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26951 ...

DATE sort bar has disappeared from SENT box
I've inexplicably lost my DATE sort bar in my SENT box. Outlook 2002, XP Pro. I've dug here and scratched there, but cannot uncover an answer as to why it's missing and how to get it back. Hit the OfficeUpdate.com website to engage in Office XP SP 1 and/or 2...I'm current, but alas, still no DATE sort bar in the SENT folder. One little bar--so valuable--so easily mis-placed! Thanks for any advice-- Timmo in AK Try right-clicking in the gray title bar, then select to customize your current view. Click on the "Fields" button to see the list of available fi...

Chart date order
This is weird. In 2007, if I display a chart for a payee (double click on a payee from the payee list), the chart sorts from left to right, with the most recent on the right, as it always has. But if now display a chart for a catagory, the chart now sorts from right to left, with the most recent on the left. That had me confused for some time before I noticed the date order change. Was it like that in 2006 or is that new for 2007? I don't see the sense in that. Bruce. In microsoft.public.money, Bruce Chastain wrote: >This is weird. In 2007, if I display a chart for a paye...

JUST-IN-TIME DEBUGGING Question....
Hi, I've been receiving an error block titled "Just-In-Time Debugging which reads, An Exception 'runtime Error' has occurred in script. Then it reads, New instance of Microsoft Script Editor Do you want to debug using the selected debugger?? I have no idea what this is, can anyone help?? Thanks....................... <TOM> Try this: In Internet Explorer, click on Tools > Internet Options, then click on Advanced tab. In the resulting list, find the Browsing subhead, and a few items below that locate the phrase "Disable script debugging (In...

Resize a Pivot table Pie Chart
You can change the size of the plotting area on a normal Excel chart. How do you resize the plotting area on a Pivot chart? Elsa wrote: > You can change the size of the plotting area on a normal Excel chart. How do > you resize the plotting area on a Pivot chart? Hi Elsa, Pivot Charts are handy, but quite limit your ability to format. I get around this by adding a worksheet that references values from the pivot table, and base the chart on the latter. ...

100% Stacked Bar chart, two bars, want percent as well as real value
I am attempting to chart the following: Series 1 - Values over the prior 30 days Series 2 - Values over the prior 12 months I would like to show both data series as 100% bar charts, so users of the information can compare percentage of the last 30 days with percentage of the same piece of data over the last 12 months. So, for example the two data series might look like this: Series 1 20 25 45 65 Series 2 211 324 403 822 I want to display both the actual value, and the percentage of the total, for each series, in the labels. For some reason, showing percentage is not an option. Why is th...

Walk over all the points in a series and extract the X value?
Hi I am using a standard clustered column chart in Excel 2003. I would like to be able to walk over all the points in a series and extract the X value for inspection. Is this possible? I cannot see how to do this. Thanks in advance, Chrisso On 14 Aug, 09:13, Chrisso <chris75sut...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I am using a standard clustered column chart in Excel 2003. > > I would like to be able to walk over all the points in a series and > extract the X value for inspection. > > Is this possible? I cannot see how to do this. > > Thanks in advance, > C...

a frame window with its title bar on the top of its menu bar (overlapped) ...
Hi, This is related to a previous post of mine, for which I got a lot of help from people but the problem was still not resolved. I am reducing the problem to the following piece of code with only one class (CFrameWnd) involved. Please bear with me to look into the problem one more time. HINSTANCE h = AfxGetResourceHandle(); AfxSetResourceHandle(::GetModuleHandle(_T("current.dll"))); CFrameWnd *pFrm = (CFrameWnd*)RUNTIME_CLASS(CFrameWnd)->CreateObject(); pFrm->LoadFrame(IDR_MAINFRAME, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | FWS_ADDTOTITLE); pFrm->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW); AfxSetResourceHand...

Why does the same email to all my email accounts appear multiple times in my Inbox?
The same email is addressed and sent to several email accounts on my computer. That email appears in the Inbox the same number of times equal to the several email accounts. I use Outlook 2003 and Win XP Home Is there an option to have it appear only once? Note, I also have a computer using Outlook 2003 and Win XP Pro, and on that machine such an email shows only once. But I cannot find any difference in settings between the two computers that cause this different effect. Thank you ...

building chart from multiple sheets
I have 5 sheets and would like to build a stacked bar graph using data from each. Say I have 4 values in A1, A2, A3 & A4 on each of these sheets. Each stacked bar is to respresent the 4 values from a single sheet. Is there any way to do this with out having to build a table on an extra page? Thanks, Brad K If I understand your data structure, you will need to use a range to consolidate the data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://...

looking for a yearly flow chart for amount spending for advertisi.
Hi you may provide some more detail :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "maggie" <maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4938F975-E269-41A4-B8FB-F23A5B9FB623@microsoft.com... > ...

Active x event handle???how
Hello friends, For the first time I am working with ActiveX control.I have search through net but not getting the clear idea how t handle events in active x. I have dialog based application and i have added a contol in that through project ->add to project components and control. and then add arielapi control by which i got a wrapper class ,.cpp file, and .h. file. THIS ARE CLASS METHOD in arielapi.cpp CString CArielAPI::Login(LPCTSTR UserName, LPCTSTR Password, LPCTSTR UserId) { CString result; static BYTE parms[] = VTS_BSTR VTS_BSTR VTS_BSTR; InvokeHelper(0x2, DISPATCH_METHOD, VT_B...

X error bar
Hello, I can find in Format Data Series the 'Y Error Bar' but nowhere can I fnd the 'X Error Bar'. How can I get this one? Office 2000. Thank you Hi Daniel, In order to have x error bars you need to use the xy scatter chart. Cheers Andy Daniel wrote: > Hello, I can find in Format Data Series the 'Y Error Bar' but nowhere can I > fnd the 'X Error Bar'. How can I get this one? > > Office 2000. > > Thank you > > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

how do I create an orgnaizational chart with 5 boxes at the top?
I am trying to create a chart for my company where there are 5 linked boxes at the top, then subordinates underneath. However, powerpoint will only let me have 1 box at the top and then 5 boxes underneath. Any ideas? PowerPoint 2007 What do you want beneath the 5 boxes? This is relatively easy to set up. "Jammie Dodger" wrote: > I am trying to create a chart for my company where there are 5 linked boxes > at the top, then subordinates underneath. However, powerpoint will only let > me have 1 box at the top and then 5 boxes underneath. > >...

How do you add error bars?
when i select my data series on my table, no selected data series appears under format Instead of selecting the series on the table (whatever that means), try selecting the data series in the chart. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <08ef01c3a991$89241060$a101280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > when i select my data series on my table, no selected > data series appears under format > ...

Dynamic Chart #7
Hello, I have a spreadsheet that has its data in the following format: 2003 2004 2005 2006 Company 1 1.5 1.63 2.1 Company 2 .75 .89 1.09 How can I create a dynamic chart so that when I input the data for 2006 (and forward) the chart will automatically update. Thank you in advance for any assistance provided. Dave Y Dave: I'll walk your through setting up a dynamic chart, however, I'd liek to suggest you rearrange your data table as follows: Year Company 1 Company2 20...

How do I show status bar on Publisher 2003?
The Status Bar in Publisher 2003 which is at the bottom of the screen and shows many page numbers suddenly vanished. I see no way of makling it reappear. This toolbar was called "Status Bar' in Office 2000 - Publisher'. There is no reference to this item in Pub 2003. 2. Pub 2003 has slowed down almost to a halt. If I insert a woed text file, it takes a couple of minutes per page; and then, even after a long wait, it does not insert all pages of the inserted document. It has to be done manually. 3. While using Pub 2003, the response to move from one page to another, appear...

Changing Form's BorderStyle property at run time but before form is loaded
Hello, Is there any workaround to change the form's BorderStyle property before the form is loaded? I need to change it from None to Fixed Single depending on user's preferences. That form is not the main form of the project. Your thoughts appreciated, Claire Claire wrote: > Is there any workaround to change the form's BorderStyle property > before the form is loaded? > I need to change it from None to Fixed Single depending on user's > preferences. Technically, not before it's loaded, but you can change it during the...

Stacked bar, bar and line graph
I am trying to create a chart with the following data: Series 1-8 with bars Series 9-10 with stacked bars (two different data) Series 1-10 with a line across all Is this possible in one chart? This should give you ideas: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/08/07/clustered-stacked-column-combo-chart-with-lines/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "JoAnn" <JoAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECE4C227-CB81-46F7-9D4E-B07ED353AFD2@microsoft.com... ...

Status Bar
I am trying to fix a db created by someone else. Somehow, I'm hoping you can explain, they disabled the status bar. I check the Options and it is still checked??? What other means could be used to disable it? How can I make it visible again. QB QB, Two places... Start-Up Properties and Tools - Options... one of those is unchecked. -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "QB" <QB@discussions.micros...

data series and axis labels
I will try my best to ask this question in a way that makes sense- I have a line chart showing monthly sales. My X axis is labeled Jan - Dec and my data series is the sales by month. I have figures for Jan Feb Mar and Apr but since May - Dec are at $0 my chart currently shows a straight line down from Apr to May. Is it possible to stop the line at April yet keep the axis showing Jan - Dec? Thanks! On Thu, 10 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, cdwinlib <cdwinlib@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have a line chart showing monthly sales. My X axis is labeled Jan - ...