Bar Chart to line chart excel 2007

I am trying to create a bar chart layout but with lines replacing the bars so
the lines are seen to run vertically.  This gives the impression of a line
chart rotated thro 90 degrees.
0
RPG (2)

This is sometimes referred to as a Dot Plot:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"RPG" <RPG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create a bar chart layout but with lines replacing the bars
>so
> the lines are seen to run vertically.  This gives the impression of a line
> chart rotated thro 90 degrees.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/1/2008 6:11:11 PM
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
RPG <RPG@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I am trying to create a bar chart layout but with lines replacing the bars so
>the lines are seen to run vertically.  This gives the impression of a line
>chart rotated thro 90 degrees.

It's a shame Excel doesn't provide such a format, isn't it? In my
opinion there shouldn't be a "column chart" and a "bar chart": instead
all charts should have a "rotate through 90 degrees" option.

How will you present the finished item? If it's a picture in a
presentation, or a printed page, perhaps you could simply use a line
chart with the *text* rotated through 90 degrees. I've done this, and
apart from having to crane my neck all the time while developing it, the
final product is quite satisfactory.

If you will be viewing it using Excel, and don't want to get a sore
neck, try some of the following:

http://www.google.com/search?q=excel+dot-plots

These techniques use scatter charts with some modification, to produce
sideways line charts (don't worry if the examples have no lines, only
dots; that's a trivial thing to fix)

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

Change bars color
Hello, I have a dinamic chart to show the cash flow position, a scrool bar chagne the data to the past and to the future (estimate), what I am looking for is, to have an easy identification of the estimated period I would like to chage the color of the bar. I am using an Stacked Column chart with two variables. any Ideias? -- regards from Brazil Thanks in advance for your feedback. Marcelo What I usually do when I want to show a column chart with one color within a certain range and another color elsewhere, is create two series, one each color, and use formulas to change on series ...

Error opening Excel attachments
LS, I get an error message opening Excel attachments in Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.4527), "cannot fond the file specified". Other attachments like .doc, .ppt and .pps are okay. Any clue ?? THX ...

Chart Help Please!
Hello all, I have a very simple chart... The data looks like this: A B Data1 3.65 Data2 7.00 The data charts fine and looks good but right now the bar for Data1 and Data2 are the same color. is there a way to have the bar for data1 one color while data2 is a different color? Thank you all for you excellent help!! In 2003 Select the series and Format Data Series>Options>Vary colors by point. In 2007 Select the series and Format>Date Series>Fill>Vary colors by point. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:32:02 -080...

Can the color of the Command Bar be changed?
When you open up a window to show the contents of a folder, just below the usual Menu Bar is the Command Bar with menus like "Organize" and "Views." That Command Bar has a sickly blue-green color. Is there any way to change the color of the Command Bar? At the very least, I would like that color to be less saturated. -- Steven L. ...

Excel Worksheet to Access DB
How do I send an Excel worksheet to an Access DB? Is it possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi what do you mena with 'send to Access'?. One idea: In MS access you can link Excel worksheets as table (goto 'File - External data ' Link tables') and select your workbook and worksheet HTH Frank > How do I send an Excel worksheet to an Access DB? Is it possible? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ This might be a help for getting data to and from Excel and Access: It includes examples of using variables in SQL ...

Save 2007 Database in 2003 format with VBA
I need to know how to convert a 2007 format database to 2003 format with VBA. Thanks ...

Muliple Charts from one Pivot Table #3
Debs. Many thanks . That worked a treat. Just need to to the pivot item o the chart now. Cheers Ton -- TJonesEs ----------------------------------------------------------------------- TJonesEsq's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1532 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26951 ...

Color coding the excel sheets
I have a user that wants to color code her worksheet tabs. I know that you can individually color code each one by right-clicking. Is there a way to have excel launch with each tab set to a color (ex. sheet 1=red, sheet2=green, sheet3=yellow, etc.)? She wants this to launch this way every time. Thanks. Shane Certainly a workbook_open event could do this but why not just set a template with the sheets colored as desired>save it>use it.. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE5570A2-016...

DATE sort bar has disappeared from SENT box
I've inexplicably lost my DATE sort bar in my SENT box. Outlook 2002, XP Pro. I've dug here and scratched there, but cannot uncover an answer as to why it's missing and how to get it back. Hit the OfficeUpdate.com website to engage in Office XP SP 1 and/or 2...I'm current, but alas, still no DATE sort bar in the SENT folder. One little bar--so valuable--so easily mis-placed! Thanks for any advice-- Timmo in AK Try right-clicking in the gray title bar, then select to customize your current view. Click on the "Fields" button to see the list of available fi...

Resize a Pivot table Pie Chart
You can change the size of the plotting area on a normal Excel chart. How do you resize the plotting area on a Pivot chart? Elsa wrote: > You can change the size of the plotting area on a normal Excel chart. How do > you resize the plotting area on a Pivot chart? Hi Elsa, Pivot Charts are handy, but quite limit your ability to format. I get around this by adding a worksheet that references values from the pivot table, and base the chart on the latter. ...

Chart date order
This is weird. In 2007, if I display a chart for a payee (double click on a payee from the payee list), the chart sorts from left to right, with the most recent on the right, as it always has. But if now display a chart for a catagory, the chart now sorts from right to left, with the most recent on the left. That had me confused for some time before I noticed the date order change. Was it like that in 2006 or is that new for 2007? I don't see the sense in that. Bruce. In microsoft.public.money, Bruce Chastain wrote: >This is weird. In 2007, if I display a chart for a paye...

100% Stacked Bar chart, two bars, want percent as well as real value
I am attempting to chart the following: Series 1 - Values over the prior 30 days Series 2 - Values over the prior 12 months I would like to show both data series as 100% bar charts, so users of the information can compare percentage of the last 30 days with percentage of the same piece of data over the last 12 months. So, for example the two data series might look like this: Series 1 20 25 45 65 Series 2 211 324 403 822 I want to display both the actual value, and the percentage of the total, for each series, in the labels. For some reason, showing percentage is not an option. Why is th...

Exchange 2007
I have an Exchange 2007 server, and the SMTP Send Connector points to one of our two SmartHosts. I'm looking for a solution that provides resilency with the second SmartHost if the first fails for whatever reason. When looking at the Send Connector properties, I can add additional SmartHosts on the Network tab. To provide resiliency, is it as simple as adding the second SmartHost? Therefore, email will route to the available SmartHost. Thanks Ron On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:34:49 -0700, GoTrojans <GoTrojans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have an Exch...

a frame window with its title bar on the top of its menu bar (overlapped) ...
Hi, This is related to a previous post of mine, for which I got a lot of help from people but the problem was still not resolved. I am reducing the problem to the following piece of code with only one class (CFrameWnd) involved. Please bear with me to look into the problem one more time. HINSTANCE h = AfxGetResourceHandle(); AfxSetResourceHandle(::GetModuleHandle(_T("current.dll"))); CFrameWnd *pFrm = (CFrameWnd*)RUNTIME_CLASS(CFrameWnd)->CreateObject(); pFrm->LoadFrame(IDR_MAINFRAME, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | FWS_ADDTOTITLE); pFrm->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW); AfxSetResourceHand...

In Excel, comments cover the data line. Can it be moved?
It would be helpful if the comment didn't block the data line either vertical and horizonal. It can be done with the edit comment command. How can the popup feature be modified? ...

lost subject line
Within the past week, when I start a new email or reply to any other emails, I don't get a subject line. Can anyone help? Thanks In a new mail message go to the View menu & choose "Message Header" "Tony Iorio" <tony10r10l@si.rr.com> wrote in message news:A1mzf.3826$cj3.1504@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com... > Within the past week, when I start a new email or reply to any other > emails, I don't get a subject line. Can anyone help? Thanks ...

Average line
I have a basic bar chart with a series of number Projected Actua Texas 150 16 Louisiana 250 23 Arkansas 300 29 Miss. 210 22 I want to add a line across the chart for the average projected amount and add a second line across the chart for average actual. I can't figure out how to do this. I don't want a moving average trendline. Please help. Hi have a look at the following sites for some examples http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/e...

looking for a yearly flow chart for amount spending for advertisi.
Hi you may provide some more detail :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "maggie" <maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4938F975-E269-41A4-B8FB-F23A5B9FB623@microsoft.com... > ...

building chart from multiple sheets
I have 5 sheets and would like to build a stacked bar graph using data from each. Say I have 4 values in A1, A2, A3 & A4 on each of these sheets. Each stacked bar is to respresent the 4 values from a single sheet. Is there any way to do this with out having to build a table on an extra page? Thanks, Brad K If I understand your data structure, you will need to use a range to consolidate the data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://...

Creating multiple IF lines
Hi, I've used excel in its simplist form for a while now, however just recently I've attempted to make something clearly beyond my skill level :) Ive displayed below a flowsheet of what Im trying to achieve '[image: http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Excelsheet.JPG]' (http://www.theimagehosting.com) Currently the below is what I've done, This takes into account only the first instruction excluding the part where it verifies if the sum = a specific amount and if its less, it replaces with the original amount =IF(F17<L11,F17*K11, "=IF(AND(f17>751,f17<100),...

how do I create an orgnaizational chart with 5 boxes at the top?
I am trying to create a chart for my company where there are 5 linked boxes at the top, then subordinates underneath. However, powerpoint will only let me have 1 box at the top and then 5 boxes underneath. Any ideas? PowerPoint 2007 What do you want beneath the 5 boxes? This is relatively easy to set up. "Jammie Dodger" wrote: > I am trying to create a chart for my company where there are 5 linked boxes > at the top, then subordinates underneath. However, powerpoint will only let > me have 1 box at the top and then 5 boxes underneath. > >...

X error bar
Hello, I can find in Format Data Series the 'Y Error Bar' but nowhere can I fnd the 'X Error Bar'. How can I get this one? Office 2000. Thank you Hi Daniel, In order to have x error bars you need to use the xy scatter chart. Cheers Andy Daniel wrote: > Hello, I can find in Format Data Series the 'Y Error Bar' but nowhere can I > fnd the 'X Error Bar'. How can I get this one? > > Office 2000. > > Thank you > > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Excel File Restore ??
Hi Folks, I have been a complete plank (and feel free to call me such), I made some changes to an Excel spreadsheet I have saved on my PC and accidently clicked on "SAVE". Is there a facility where I can roll back to the sheet in it's previous state as you can do with System Restore in Windows ???? PLEASE HELP as I don't want to have to start all over again - just heading off to hide in shame.......... Thanks Wayne Do you have a backup? Have you shared it with others (maybe via email--so an earlier copy would be in your sent folder) or ask a recipient to send it back...

How do you add error bars?
when i select my data series on my table, no selected data series appears under format Instead of selecting the series on the table (whatever that means), try selecting the data series in the chart. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <08ef01c3a991$89241060$a101280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > when i select my data series on my table, no selected > data series appears under format > ...

Outlook 2007 sp2 cached mode availability service
Hello all running Exchange 2007 sp2, the cas and mbx server are on separate boxes and are both located in AD site1. The user community is all running Outlook 2007 sp2 and are located in AD site2, there is a DS3 connection between AD site1 and AD site2 no problems with the connection or speed of the connection. I have two questions #1 When outlook is connected to the network and using rpc and tcp/ip how does it call the exchange web services to find OOF, availibility, OAB? does it use tcp/ip or https ? and what server is it directly connecting with ? is it the CAS box or th...