Bar Chart Formatting

Is there any way to increase the width of one bar but not the others?

I’m actually looking to make the bars increase in width with the X axis as
the Y access increases their height.  The only thing I’ve found is to
increase all the bars uniformly.

0
Street1 (2)

If you widen the bars as they grow in height, you will be presenting people
with a quandary: Is the bar height the chart feature than encodes the data,
or is it the bar area. To minimize misinterpretation and confusion, you
should not use variable widths. If you want to highlight one or two bars,
show them in a different color.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Buchanan Street" <Buchanan Street@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:DAD038C3-F599-4656-9602-F8830663B65D@microsoft.com...
> Is there any way to increase the width of one bar but not the others?
>
> I'm actually looking to make the bars increase in width with the X axis as
> the Y access increases their height.  The only thing I've found is to
> increase all the bars uniformly.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Color gradients in charts
I am using Excell 2007. Whenever I want to add a gradient to a color - for example in a bar or pie chart - it shows me the types of gradients in a stupid light blue color. If I choose one it changes my color in the chart to this color and does not apply the gradient to the color I already have in place. How can I change this default behavior? Not the answer you're waiting for, but it's better not to use gradients at all. They can obscure the information in the chart and lead to misinterpretation. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions...

change x axis date scale on multiple charts quarterly
Have multiple charts to update weekly during a calendar quarter, need to change the x axis date scale on every chart quarterly. Can the x axis date range be changed on multiple charts simultaneously ? If your x axis range comes from a series on your spreadsheet, changing the values in the spreadsheet will change all the charts which use that series to define the x axis. -- David Biddulph Paul wrote: > Have multiple charts to update weekly during a calendar quarter, need > to change the x axis date scale on every chart quarterly. > Can the x axis date range be changed on multiple...

how can I format output data to a file
How can I format data for output to a file in a particular format ie. 6 chars 25 chars 49 chars from 3 work sheet columns which a not 2,25 and 49 long. This is so that the data can be read by another program. If the first cell only has a "1" in it how do I get excel to output blanks to fill the space to 6 char for the first output? Set your column widths to the field widths you want (6, 25, 49). Set the text alignment for each column to what you want if the default (left for text and right for numbers) is not correct. Then do a File, Save As and pick Formatted Text as the f...

Formatting several worksheets at once
I am wondering if it's possible to set up a style master worksheet (similar to the slide master in Power Point) in Excel 2002. I would like to have a standard master where styles (ie: column fill, fonts) are carried through from a master to the other 25 sheets in workbook. I'd like to avoid doing this manually as this is too time consuming to do monthly (when the changes will occur). Thanks! ...

How can I set Outlook 2003 default reply format to 'Plain Text'
Hello, Where is the setting which will default my reply in Outlook 2003 to be in Plain Text format? Currently I have to select the menu options "Format", "Plain Text" to force the reply to text etc. TIA Outlook respects the message format in which the message was received. You will need to force plain text. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head-scratching, tech.Nik as...

Printing Gantt Charts
How do I print the task column on each page of a multipage Gantt Chart? Also, what is the best way to manually set the horizontal page breaks so that a given week does not break across (2) pages? ...

Setting a pie chart segment to No Fill
Hi, I have a program that automatically sets the segments in a pie chart to the correct colour (set using RGB(c1,c2,c3)) see code below Charts("EPE Wheel").SeriesCollection(1).Points(pnt).Interior.Color = RGB(c1, c2, c3) However there is occasioanlly a black segment and i would like to set it to No fill instead of black. I can do all the If...then but what is the code to set a section to no fill? many thanks -- Lynxbci3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lynxbci3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

how to make a bar graph
how do i take off the chart and put a bar graph in excel EXCEL 2007 Please refer to:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ Item 109. Launch the Workbook and follow the instructions in the Chart Worksheet at cell K 1. If you do that you should have a Bar Chart. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "lolprinze" wrote: > how do i take off the chart and put a bar graph in excel ...

vlookup & combo box charts
Hi. My question may be difficult to explain, but here i go. I have a large set of data which I analyze each week. I have created a vlookup function to query weeknum & year which presents my data in a nice table format. I then created a combo box with a "list" of all the colum names of data and "tied in" the drop down line number into my vlookup function. I can now use my drop down list to toggle through my data nicely. Here is my problem. I have a chart which is driven off the data from the vlookup function. As i toggle through my data with my combo box the char...

BAr graphs
Hello everyone THis is my first post and well I have some graphs to change at work. I was wondering if I can set the bar's of the graph to "blink" certain color ( automatically) when it reachs a predetermine "critical" level, or change color again for a more acceptable ratein and change to another color when a reateing is realy really good. Coul this be done at all? if no blinking then just change in color? Thank you Koji ( kojiroosuna@hotmail.com -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Jon Peltier has instructions for conditional charts. They don'...

plotting different datatypes in a radar chart
Hi. I am trying to plot different datatypes (percentages and absolute values) in one radar chart. The percentages range around 100% (~ 30% - 120%) and the absolute values will range around 3 - 5 (which is interpreted as 300 - 500%). This distortes the graph and makes it incomprehensible. Since the absolute figures will be the # of a certain activity it is not good to convert them to a percentage. Does anybody know a way to plot this nicely into one chart without breaking the continuous line of the radar chart? Thanks Jerry. I created the software to support the Custom Radar chart f...

Combination Charts #5
I am trying to build a chart that contains stacked columns and standard columns. I have two sets of data: 1) 2005 sales by month for 6 categories (need for stacked chart) 2) 2006 total sales projection by month (need for standard columns). I want to put the like monthly columns (ie: stacked January 2005 sales, standard January 2006 sales projection) side by side for the entire year. I checked out the custom chart option but couldn't determine how to get to the above. Any suggestions? Mark See Stephen Bullen's Funchrt4.zip at http://www.oaltd.co.uk/excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charti...

Creating Bell Curve Chart
Range of data and I want to create a bell curve of this - HOW? Mike 26 20 35 16 84.9 15 17 42 36 22 18 26 23 49 19 16 29 20 40 26 18 20 14 45 13 19 128.5 29 16 12 You probably want a combination chart, with a column series showing a histogram of your values and a line series showing a normal distribution density curve based on the mean and standard deviation of the data. Tushar Mehta has instructions for a normal probability curve (bell curve) on his website, http://tushar-mehta.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions...

Conditional Formats
I want to set a set of criteria for a row, within a give date range, in a way that as the 'due' date approaches, the cells change color from green to yellow to red. how can i set this up? You use conditional formatting. Depending on how you calculate your 'due' date, you use a condition like: =a1+30>=today() Regards Fred "lau" <lau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E3F20E9-12F8-4EA5-B430-DCE4E59A70DE@microsoft.com... >I want to set a set of criteria for a row, within a give date range, in a >way > that as the &...

COleDateTime::Format and language
Hello everybody. I'm using COleDateTime::Format() with "%B %Y" (full month name and year) and it gives me the month name in English, I need this name in same language than Windows (Spanish in my case), how can I do this? or COleDateTime::Format() always gives the names in English? Thanks in advance, William GS Are you running on a Spanish build of Windows? If so, you should get the appropriate language. If you are running under English Windows I believe you will have to built the time yourself using your own strings from localized resources. You can check the locale to...

Change chart type in single data series, Excel 2007
I can't get it to change the chart type on a single data series in the new Excel 2007. The "change chart type" is grayed out. Thank you, What kind of chart is it? If it's a 3D chart, you can't change only one series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "momof3" <momof3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F78063A1-DB29-4081-B909-BDA99F2DEBFD@microsoft.com... >I can't get it to change the chart type on a single data series ...

Changed to word format
Outlook asked if system wanted to be in Word format, user said yes and lost all contact info. Any ideas of how to get the contact list back? ...

Some help with conditional formatting
Hi, I have a worksheet which details stock and last weeks sales. e,g, column A is stock, column B is 7-day sales. This extends down the worksheet several hundred lines (1 line for each product I sell) I want to put in a conditional format which will turn Column A red if it is less than column B. I have no difficulty in doing this with one cell, however I can't seem to paste this into another cell or range of cells using copy/paste special or the format painter. When I do paste into another cell the condition is copied exactly. What I want to do is write a condition where the cell...

Lock just formatting?
Is there a way to lock (protect) the formatting of cells while still allowing users to modify the contents? -- JLC ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JLC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28014 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=475225 If you leave the cell unlocked (format|cells|protection tab) then protect the worksheet (tools|protection|protect sheet) Then you'll see that this is the usual behavior. JLC wrote: > > Is there a way to lock (protect) the formatti...

data series color
Frequency chart I have some frequency data Chart labels Range bin value 0 - 250 4 250 250 - 500 7 500 500 - 600 6 600 600 - 700 7 700 700 - 800 10 800 800 - 900 1 900 900 - 1000 4 1000 1000 - 1250 4 1250 1250 - 1500 1 1500 1500 - 2000 0 2000 2000 - 2500 1 2500 2500 - 3000 0 3000 >3000 3 I want to plot a simple histogram chart, but assign colors to each bin value How do I do this? I don't want to keep manually changing colors - we are still amending ranges & I want to automated the color options ...

values/formats in a cell get randomly replaced in some worksheets
values/formats in a cell get randomly replaced in some worksheets with values/formats from some of the drop down menu lists. Unprotected cell values are getting changed after some time, may be hours or days , from drop down lists. Excel sheet files are quite big, like 4/5 mb, having big data and near to 4000 formats. ...

Pivot Table Row Field Format (OLAP Source)
I have a pivot table linked to an OLAP cube. In this instance, my only row field contains numbers (the number of days taken to complete a task) and all I want to do is display a count for each total (i.e. 234 items took 1 day, 345 took 2 etc). The problem is that these numbers are listed as text, therefore 1,10,100,11 instead of 1,2,3. In view of the number of days, I'm trying to avoid manually adjusting the list. Apart from importing the source data into Excel rather than using the cube, is there any way to get around this? The problem is in your cube. Edit the dimension in your...

Symbols on Outlook Bar
What do the two blue curved arrows in a white box on most shortcuts on the Outlook Bar mean when using Windows XP? Usually those arrows mean recurring, but they are on the Icons for each section in the Outlook Bar, not in the Calendar. Those are probably items that are being synchronized with an .ost file. To see which folders are currently set for synchronization point to Synchronize on the Tools menu and then click Offline Folder Settings. Any item that is "checked" will be synchronized with your Exchange mailbox. Hope this helps. -- Greg Mansius [MSFT] This posting is pr...

Importing Quicksell 2000 DB to RMS: data formating issues
I just installed RMS and imported my Quicksell DB successfully. However, the data formating seems to have been lost. In QS2000, all my db items were created as matrices (with 1 item description name and 1 item lookup code). After importing into RMS, I now have multiple instances of the same lookup description each with a different lookup code and no matrix headings? As a result, I cant make any sense of the data that I have b/c I dont know what quanties go with which item lookup code, etc. What happened to my matrix headings and how do I get them back? Please Help! Thanks in adv...

Comments in a Chart
I am using Excel 2000 I created a graph and added a text box with a comment in it. Now I want to delete the comment/text box, but can't seem to do it. When I click on the comments, all I get is "text box 1". I can not grab it to delete it. What am I doing wrong???? Please help. Aurora Hi, A couple of things you could try. If when you click the textbox it draws a bounding box with handles (little squares in the corners) you can try clicking the border rather than the text, then try the delete button. Or select the chart and then use the up/down cursor arrows to cycle...